Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cuff
Alias: CG13190, Dmel\CG13190, cutoff, CG13190-PA, cuff-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Wylie A, Jones A, D Brot A, Lu W, Kurtz P, Moran J, et al. p53 genes function to restrain mobile elements. Genes Dev. 2016;30:64-77 pubmed publisher..Since human p53 mutants are disabled for this activity, our findings raise the possibility that p53 mitigates oncogenic disease in part by restricting transposon mobility. ..
- Kibanov M, Egorova K, Ryazansky S, Sokolova O, Kotov A, Olenkina O, et al. A novel organelle, the piNG-body, in the nuage of Drosophila male germ cells is associated with piRNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3410-9 pubmed publisher..This body contains known ovarian nuage proteins, including Vasa, Aub, AGO3, Tud, Spn-E, Bel, Squ, and Cuff, as well as AGO1, the key component of the microRNA pathway...
- Zhang Z, Wang J, Schultz N, Zhang F, Parhad S, Tu S, et al. The HP1 homolog rhino anchors a nuclear complex that suppresses piRNA precursor splicing. Cell. 2014;157:1353-63 pubmed publisher..Rhino colocalizes to germline nuclear foci with Rai1/DXO-related protein Cuff and the DEAD box protein UAP56, which are also required for germline piRNA production...
- Chen Y, Aravin A. Non-Coding RNAs in Transcriptional Regulation: The review for Current Molecular Biology Reports. Curr Mol Biol Rep. 2015;1:10-18 pubmed..Furthermore, a rapidly growing number long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) have been implicated as important players in transcription regulation. We will discuss current models for long non-coding RNA-mediated gene regulation. ..
- Hermant C, Boivin A, Teysset L, Delmarre V, Asif Laidin A, van den Beek M, et al. Paramutation in Drosophila Requires Both Nuclear and Cytoplasmic Actors of the piRNA Pathway and Induces Cis-spreading of piRNA Production. Genetics. 2015;201:1381-96 pubmed publisher..piRNA production and trans-silencing capacities of the paramutated cluster depend on the function of the rhino, cutoff, and zucchini genes involved in primary piRNA biogenesis in the germline, as well as on that of the aubergine gene ..
- Pane A, Jiang P, Zhao D, Singh M, Schupbach T. The Cutoff protein regulates piRNA cluster expression and piRNA production in the Drosophila germline. EMBO J. 2011;30:4601-15 pubmed publisher..The molecular mechanisms and the factors that govern their expression are largely unknown. Here, we show that Cutoff (Cuff), a Drosophila protein related to the yeast transcription termination factor Rai1, is essential for piRNA ..
- Castillo D, Mell J, Box K, Blumenstiel J. Molecular evolution under increasing transposable element burden in Drosophila: a speed limit on the evolutionary arms race. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:258 pubmed publisher..Third, we test whether increasing TE abundance is correlated with greater codon bias in genes of the piRNA machinery. This is predicted if increasing TE abundance selects for increased efficiency in the machinery of genome defense...
- Mohn F, Sienski G, Handler D, Brennecke J. The rhino-deadlock-cutoff complex licenses noncanonical transcription of dual-strand piRNA clusters in Drosophila. Cell. 2014;157:1364-79 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that a complex composed of Rhino, Deadlock, and Cutoff (RDC) defines dual-strand piRNA clusters genome-wide in Drosophila ovaries...
- Le Thomas A, Stuwe E, Li S, Du J, Marinov G, Rozhkov N, et al. Transgenerationally inherited piRNAs trigger piRNA biogenesis by changing the chromatin of piRNA clusters and inducing precursor processing. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1667-80 pubmed publisher..Rhino recruits the piRNA biogenesis factor Cutoff to piRNA clusters and is required for efficient transcription of piRNA precursors...