Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Crz
Alias: CG3302, COR, CORZ, CRZ, Cora, Dm-Crz, Dmel\CG3302, Drm-COR, cor, crz, corazonin, CG3302-PA, Crz-PA, preprocorazonin
Species: fruit fly
- Birse R, Johnson E, Taghert P, Nassel D. Widely distributed Drosophila G-protein-coupled receptor (CG7887) is activated by endogenous tachykinin-related peptides. J Neurobiol. 2006;66:33-46 pubmed..Our findings suggest that DTKR is a DTK receptor in Drosophila and that this ligand-receptor system plays multiple functional roles. ..
- Lee G, Kim K, Kikuno K, Wang Z, Choi Y, Park J. Developmental regulation and functions of the expression of the neuropeptide corazonin in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Tissue Res. 2008;331:659-73 pubmedAlthough the corazonin gene (Crz) has been molecularly characterized, little is known concerning the function of this neuropeptide in Drosophila melanogaster...
- Veenstra J. Isolation and structure of the Drosophila corazonin gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;204:292-6 pubmed..Its nucleotide sequence predicts a preprocorazonin consisting of an 19 amino acid putative signal peptide, the 11 amino acid corazonin sequence, a Gly used for ..
- Iversen A, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Hauser F, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of the first insect ecdysis triggering hormone receptors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;299:924-31 pubmed..Ecdysis (cuticle shedding) is an important behaviour, allowing growth and metamorphosis in insects and other arthropods. Our paper is the first report on the molecular identification of ecdysis triggering hormone receptors from insects. ..
- Yew J, Wang Y, Barteneva N, Dikler S, Kutz Naber K, Li L, et al. Analysis of neuropeptide expression and localization in adult drosophila melanogaster central nervous system by affinity cell-capture mass spectrometry. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:1271-84 pubmed publisher..Neuropeptide profiling also was performed on targeted populations of cells which were enriched with immunoaffinity purification using a genetically expressed marker. ..
- Choi Y, Lee G, Park J. Programmed cell death mechanisms of identifiable peptidergic neurons in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 2006;133:2223-32 pubmed..Here, we provide evidence showing that a group of neurons (vCrz) that express neuropeptide Corazonin (Crz) gene in the ventral nerve cord of the larval CNS undergo programmed death within 6 hours of the onset of ..
- J rgensen L, Hauser F, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of the first SIFamide receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;340:696-701 pubmed publisher..This paper is the first report on the identification of a SIFamide receptor...
- Zhao Y, Bretz C, Hawksworth S, Hirsh J, Johnson E. Corazonin neurons function in sexually dimorphic circuitry that shape behavioral responses to stress in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9141 pubmed publisher..Based on its associated phenotypes and its expression profiles, a candidate stress hormone in Drosophila is the corazonin neuropeptide...
- Siegmund T, Korge G. Innervation of the ring gland of Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 2001;431:481-91 pubmed..Most of the neurons presented here have not been described before. The enhancer trap lines labeling them will be valuable tools for the analysis of neuronal as well as genetic regulation in insect development. ..
- Landgraf M, Sanchez Soriano N, Technau G, Urban J, Prokop A. Charting the Drosophila neuropile: a strategy for the standardised characterisation of genetically amenable neurites. Dev Biol. 2003;260:207-25 pubmed..Using the Fasciclin2-based mapping procedure as a standard (e.g., in a common database) would facilitate studies on the functional architecture of the neuropile and the identification of candiate circuit elements. ..
- Iversen A, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Hauser F, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of a Drosophila receptor for the neuropeptides capa-1 and -2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;299:628-33 pubmed..Because capa-1 and -2 and related insect neuropeptides stimulate fluid secretion in insect Malpighian (renal) tubules, the identification of this first insect capa receptor will advance our knowledge on insect renal function. ..
- McClure K, Heberlein U. A small group of neurosecretory cells expressing the transcriptional regulator apontic and the neuropeptide corazonin mediate ethanol sedation in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2013;33:4044-54 pubmed publisher..we show that apt mediates sensitivity to ethanol sedation by acting in a small set of neurons that express Corazonin (Crz), a neuropeptide likely involved in the physiological response to stress...
- Baggerman G, Boonen K, Verleyen P, De Loof A, Schoofs L. Peptidomic analysis of the larval Drosophila melanogaster central nervous system by two-dimensional capillary liquid chromatography quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry. J Mass Spectrom. 2005;40:250-60 pubmed..This clearly demonstrates that the two-dimensional capillary LC approach enhances the coverage of the peptidomic analysis. ..
- Johnson E, Shafer O, Trigg J, Park J, Schooley D, Dow J, et al. A novel diuretic hormone receptor in Drosophila: evidence for conservation of CGRP signaling. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1239-46 pubmed..In both the larval and adult brain, most DH31 receptor-expressing neurons produce the neuropeptide corazonin, and also express the CRFR-related receptor CG8422, which is a receptor for the neuropeptide diuretic hormone 44 ..
- Nassel D, Enell L, Santos J, Wegener C, Johard H. A large population of diverse neurons in the Drosophila central nervous system expresses short neuropeptide F, suggesting multiple distributed peptide functions. BMC Neurosci. 2008;9:90 pubmed publisher..To unravel possible functional diversity we have mapped the distribution of transcript of the snpf gene and its peptide products in the central nervous system (CNS) of Drosophila in relation to other neuronal markers...
- Choi Y, Lee G, Hall J, Park J. Comparative analysis of Corazonin-encoding genes (Crz's) in Drosophila species and functional insights into Crz-expressing neurons. J Comp Neurol. 2005;482:372-85 pubmed publisherTo gain insight into regulatory mechanisms of tissue-specific Corazonin (Crz) gene expression and its functions in Drosophila, we cloned the Crz genes from four Drosophila species (D. melanogaster, D. simulans, D. erecta, and D...
- Tayler T, Pacheco D, Hergarden A, Murthy M, Anderson D. A neuropeptide circuit that coordinates sperm transfer and copulation duration in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:20697-702 pubmed publisher..Silencing four abdominal ganglion (AG) interneurons (INs) that contain the neuropeptide corazonin (Crz) both blocked SSFT and substantially lengthened copulation duration...
- Cazzamali G, Saxild N, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of a Drosophila corazonin receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;298:31-6 pubmed..We have subsequently expressed this orphan receptor in Chinese hamster ovary cells and identified Drosophila corazonin as the endogenous ligand for the receptor...
- Tasdemir Yilmaz O, Freeman M. Astrocytes engage unique molecular programs to engulf pruned neuronal debris from distinct subsets of neurons. Genes Dev. 2014;28:20-33 pubmed publisher..developmental elimination of two neuron populations-mushroom body (MB) ? neurons and vCrz? neurons (expressing Corazonin [Crz] neuropeptide in the ventral nerve cord [VNC])-where only neurites are pruned or entire cells are ..
- Sha K, Choi S, Im J, Lee G, Loeffler F, Park J. Regulation of ethanol-related behavior and ethanol metabolism by the Corazonin neurons and Corazonin receptor in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e87062 pubmed publisher..Here we identified a neuroendocrine system involving Corazonin (Crz) neuropeptide and its receptor (CrzR) as important physiological regulators of ethanol metabolism in ..
- Lundell M, Lee H, Perez E, Chadwell L. The regulation of apoptosis by Numb/Notch signaling in the serotonin lineage of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:4109-21 pubmed..These data suggest that the distribution of Numb during terminal mitotic divisions of the CNS can distinguish between a neuronal cell fate and programmed cell death. ..
- Johnson E, Tift F, McCauley A, Liu L, Roman G. Functional characterization of kurtz, a Drosophila non-visual arrestin, reveals conservation of GPCR desensitization mechanisms. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:1016-22 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we report that kurtz mutants exhibit hypersensitivity to osmotic stress, implicating GPCR desensitization as an important feature of the endocrine events that shape this stress response. ..
- Kondo S, Ueda R. Highly improved gene targeting by germline-specific Cas9 expression in Drosophila. Genetics. 2013;195:715-21 pubmed publisher..3-23%. Our method is readily scalable to high-throughput gene targeting, thereby accelerating comprehensive functional annotation of the Drosophila genome. ..
- Johnson E, Bohn L, Taghert P. Drosophila CG8422 encodes a functional diuretic hormone receptor. J Exp Biol. 2004;207:743-8 pubmed..The identification of a Drosophila receptor for the DH neuropeptide provides a basis for genetic analysis of this critical factor's roles in maintaining physiological homeostasis. ..
- Isshiki T, Pearson B, Holbrook S, Doe C. Drosophila neuroblasts sequentially express transcription factors which specify the temporal identity of their neuronal progeny. Cell. 2001;106:511-21 pubmed..We propose that Hunchback and Krüppel control early-born temporal identity in neuroblast cell lineages. ..
- Hector C, Bretz C, Zhao Y, Johnson E. Functional differences between two CRF-related diuretic hormone receptors in Drosophila. J Exp Biol. 2009;212:3142-7 pubmed publisher..The functional characterization of this diuretic hormone receptor in Drosophila demonstrates a high degree of conservation of CRF-like signaling. ..
- Lee H, Lundell M. Differentiation of the Drosophila serotonergic lineage depends on the regulation of Zfh-1 by Notch and Eagle. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;36:47-58 pubmed..Our observations on the regulation of Zfh-1 provide a new approach for examining the function of Zfh-1 in motor neurons and larval locomotion. ..
- Wegener C, Gorbashov A. Molecular evolution of neuropeptides in the genus Drosophila. Genome Biol. 2008;9:R131 pubmed publisher..The last common ancestor of Drosophila obviously had a set of neuropeptides and peptide hormones identical to that of modern fruit flies. This is remarkable, since drosophilid flies have adapted to very different environments. ..
- Egerod K, Reynisson E, Hauser F, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of the first two specific insect myosuppressin receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9808-13 pubmed..To our knowledge, this paper is the first report on the molecular identification of specific insect myosuppressin receptors. ..
- Wegener C, Herbert H, Kahnt J, Bender M, Rhea J. Deficiency of prohormone convertase dPC2 (AMONTILLADO) results in impaired production of bioactive neuropeptide hormones in Drosophila. J Neurochem. 2011;118:581-95 pubmed publisher..The lack of AMON activity resulted in a deficiency of L3 larva to enter the wandering phase. In conclusion, our findings provide the first direct evidence that AMON is a key enzyme in the production of neuropeptides in the fruitfly. ..
- Novotny T, Eiselt R, Urban J. Hunchback is required for the specification of the early sublineage of neuroblast 7-3 in the Drosophila central nervous system. Development. 2002;129:1027-36 pubmed
- Egerod K, Reynisson E, Hauser F, Williamson M, Cazzamali G, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of the first insect proctolin receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;306:437-42 pubmed..The Drosophila receptor reported here is the first invertebrate proctolin receptor to be identified. ..
- Sellami A, Wegener C, Veenstra J. Functional significance of the copper transporter ATP7 in peptidergic neurons and endocrine cells in Drosophila melanogaster. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3633-8 pubmed publisher..The strength of this effect differed from one cell type to another; it was very pronounced for AKH and corazonin, but much less so for SIFamide and myosuppressin...
- Sellami A, Isabel G, Veenstra J. Expression of the mu opioid receptor in Drosophila and its effects on trehalose and glycogen when expressed by the AKH neuroendocrine cells. Peptides. 2010;31:1383-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, flies which expressed the mu opioid receptor in the AKH or corazonin endocrine cells increased rather than decreased trehalose levels and this was independent of opioid agonists...
- Kubrak O, Lushchak O, Zandawala M, NÃ¤ssel D. Systemic corazonin signalling modulates stress responses and metabolism in Drosophila. Open Biol. 2016;6: pubmed..Here we show that corazonin (Crz), a peptide homologous to AKH/GnRH, also alters stress physiology in Drosophila The Crz receptor (CrzR) is ..
- Petsakou A, Sapsis T, Blau J. Circadian Rhythms in Rho1 Activity Regulate Neuronal Plasticity and Network Hierarchy. Cell. 2015;162:823-35 pubmed publisher..Since spinocerebellar ataxia is associated with mutations in human Puratrophin-1, our data support the idea that defective actin-related plasticity underlies this ataxia. ..
- Pool A, Scott K. Feeding regulation in Drosophila. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2014;29:57-63 pubmed publisher..These neuromodulators in turn promote or inhibit discrete feeding behavioral subprograms. This review highlights the links between physiological needs, neuromodulatory states, and feeding decisions. ..
- Kapan N, Lushchak O, Luo J, Nassel D. Identified peptidergic neurons in the Drosophila brain regulate insulin-producing cells, stress responses and metabolism by coexpressed short neuropeptide F and corazonin. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:4051-66 pubmed publisher..These sNPF-expressing neurons (dorsal lateral peptidergic neurons, DLPs) also produce the neuropeptide corazonin (CRZ) and have axon terminations impinging on IPCs...
- Karcavich R, Doe C. Drosophila neuroblast 7-3 cell lineage: a model system for studying programmed cell death, Notch/Numb signaling, and sequential specification of ganglion mother cell identity. J Comp Neurol. 2005;481:240-51 pubmed..Our results confirm and extend previous work on the early portion of the NB7-3 lineage (Novotny et al.  Development 129:1027-1036; Lundell et al. [ 2003] Development 130:4109-4121). ..
- Cazzamali G, Hauser F, Kobberup S, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of a Drosophila G protein-coupled receptor specific for crustacean cardioactive peptide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;303:146-52 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a gene sequence in the genomic database from the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae that very likely codes for a crustacean cardioactive peptide receptor. ..
- Salisbury J, Boggio K, Hsu Y, Quijada J, Sivachenko A, Gloeckner G, et al. A rapid MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry workflow for Drosophila melanogaster differential neuropeptidomics. Mol Brain. 2013;6:60 pubmed publisher..While the data analysis methods should be compatible with other sample preparations, the presented sample preparation method was sufficient to identify previously unconfirmed D. melanogaster neuropeptides. ..
- Bergland A, Chae H, Kim Y, Tatar M. Fine-scale mapping of natural variation in fly fecundity identifies neuronal domain of expression and function of an aquaporin. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002631 pubmed publisher..We localize Drip expression to a small population of corazonin producing neurons located in the dorsolateral posterior compartments of the protocerebrum...
- Lee G, Wang Z, Sehgal R, Chen C, Kikuno K, Hay B, et al. Drosophila caspases involved in developmentally regulated programmed cell death of peptidergic neurons during early metamorphosis. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:34-48 pubmed publisher..of seven currently known Drosophila caspases in the PCD of a group of interneurons (vCrz) that produce corazonin (Crz) neuropeptide in the ventral nerve cord...
- Shang Y, Donelson N, Vecsey C, Guo F, Rosbash M, Griffith L. Short neuropeptide F is a sleep-promoting inhibitory modulator. Neuron. 2013;80:171-83 pubmed publisher..sNPF acutely increases sleep without altering feeding behavior, which it affects only on a much longer time scale. The profound effect of sNPF on sleep indicates that it is an important sleep-promoting molecule. ..
- de Haro M, Al Ramahi I, Benito Sipos J, López Arias B, Dorado B, Veenstra J, et al. Detailed analysis of leucokinin-expressing neurons and their candidate functions in the Drosophila nervous system. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;339:321-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, the methods employed in our study can be used to identify individual neuropeptidergic neurons and thereby characterize functional cues or developmental transformations in their differentiation. ..