Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cp36
Description: Chorion protein 36
Alias: CG1478, CP36, Dmel\CG1478, Dms36, S36, cp36, dec-2, dec2, dec[], fs(1)C2, s36, s36-1, s365, chorion protein 36, CG1478-PA, Cp36-PA, Shell-36, defective chorion 2
Species: fruit fly
- Tolias P, Konsolaki M, Halfon M, Stroumbakis N, Kafatos F. Elements controlling follicular expression of the s36 chorion gene during Drosophila oogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:5898-906 pubmedAn 84-bp proximal regulatory protein (PRR) of the Drosophila melanogaster s36 chorion gene is sufficient for directing proper temporal and spatial expression of a reporter gene in three domains of the follicle: anterior, posterior, and ..
- Liu J, MCCONNELL K, Dixon M, Calvi B. Analysis of model replication origins in Drosophila reveals new aspects of the chromatin landscape and its relationship to origin activity and the prereplicative complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:200-12 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal new insights into the origin epigenetic landscape and lead us to propose a chromatin switch model to explain the coordination of origin and promoter activity during development. ..
- Parks S, Wakimoto B, Spradling A. Replication and expression of an X-linked cluster of Drosophila chorion genes. Dev Biol. 1986;117:294-305 pubmed..A tandem cluster of six genes, encoding chorion structural proteins s36-1, s38-1, and four putative minor chorion protein mRNAs, was mapped in the central 18 kb of the amplified domain, a ..
- Spradling A, Waring G, Mahowald A. Drosophila bearing the ocelliless mutation underproduce two major chorion proteins both of which map near this gene. Cell. 1979;16:609-16 pubmed
- Dyer K, Jaenike J. Evolutionarily stable infection by a male-killing endosymbiont in Drosophila innubila: molecular evidence from the host and parasite genomes. Genetics. 2004;168:1443-55 pubmed..innubila-Wolbachia association is likely at a stable equilibrium that is maintained by imperfect maternal transmission of the bacteria rather than partial resistance in the host species. ..
- Paranjape N, Calvi B. The Histone Variant H3.3 Is Enriched at Drosophila Amplicon Origins but Does Not Mark Them for Activation. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:1661-71 pubmed publisher..3 is not essential for the assembly or activation of the pre-RC at origins. Instead, our results imply that the correlation between H3.3 and ORC sites reflects other chromatin attributes that are important for origin function. ..
- Cernilogar F, Fabbri F, Andrenacci D, Taddei C, Gargiulo G. Drosophila vitelline membrane cross-linking requires the fs(1)Nasrat, fs(1)polehole and chorion genes activities. Dev Genes Evol. 2001;211:573-80 pubmed
- Derome N, Baudry E, Ogereau D, Veuille M, Montchamp Moreau C. Selective sweeps in a 2-locus model for sex-ratio meiotic drive in Drosophila simulans. Mol Biol Evol. 2008;25:409-16 pubmed publisher..Linkage disequilibrium level indicates that, in the natural population from Madagascar used in this study, the selective sweep may be as recent as 100 years...
- Vlachou D, Komitopoulou K. The chorion genes of the medfly. II. DNA sequence evolution of the autosomal chorion genes s18, s15, s19 and s16 in Diptera. Gene. 2001;270:41-52 pubmed..melanogaster. Analysis of the nucleotide composition of all chorion genes in C. capitata and D. melanogaster showed that C. capitata exhibit less biased representation of synonymous codons than does D. melanogaster. ..
- Niepielko M, Marmion R, Kim K, Luor D, Ray C, Yakoby N. Chorion patterning: a window into gene regulation and Drosophila species' relatedness. Mol Biol Evol. 2014;31:154-64 pubmed publisher..Expression domains are regulated cooperatively or independently by signaling pathways, supporting that complex patterns are combinatorially assembled from simple domains. ..
- Spradling A, Mahowald A. Identification and genetic localization of mRNAs from ovarian follicle cells of Drosophila melanogaster. Cell. 1979;16:589-98 pubmed
- Osheim Y, Miller O, Beyer A. Two Drosophila chorion genes terminate transcription in discrete regions near their poly(A) sites. EMBO J. 1986;5:3591-6 pubmedWe have examined transcription termination of two closely linked Drosophila melanogaster chorion genes, s36-1 and s38-1, using the electron microscope. Our method is unusual and is independent of in vitro nuclear run-on transcription...
- Romano C, Martinez Cruzado J, Kafatos F. The relative importance of transcriptional and post transcriptional regulation of Drosophila chorion gene expression during oogenesis. Dev Genet. 1991;12:196-205 pubmed..Chorion gene transcription was assayed in follicle cell nuclei by nuclear run-on reactions. For the s15, s16, s18, s36, and s38 chorion genes, the periods of intense transcription are as predicted from the dynamics of RNA accumulation ..
- Bienz Tadmor B, Tolias P, Stebbins Boaz B, Mariani B, Gerbi S, Kafatos F. Chorion gene cis-regulatory DNA restricts tissue specificity of reporter gene expression in transformed Drosophila. Chromosoma. 1992;101:538-48 pubmed..containing 5' flanking plus the entire 5' untranslated and the beginning of the coding region of either the s36 or the s15 chorion gene are able to confer on the reporter genes normal tissue as well as temporal specificity of ..
- Osheim Y, Miller O, Beyer A. RNP particles at splice junction sequences on Drosophila chorion transcripts. Cell. 1985;43:143-51 pubmed..particles play a role in RNA processing, we have correlated the nascent transcript morphology of Drosophila chorion s36-1 and s38-1 genes with their nucleotide sequences...
- Komitopoulou K, Margaritis L, Kafatos F. Structural and biochemical studies on four sex-linked chorion mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genet. 1988;9:37-48 pubmed
- Kim C, Han K, Kim J, Yi J, Kim C, Yim J, et al. Femcoat, a novel eggshell protein in Drosophila: functional analysis by double stranded RNA interference. Mech Dev. 2002;110:61-70 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that inducible dsRNAi analysis can be effective in determining the developmental function of novel genes. ..
- Manogaran A, Waring G. The N-terminal prodomain of sV23 is essential for the assembly of a functional vitelline membrane network in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2004;270:261-71 pubmed
- Velentzas A, Velentzas P, Sagioglou N, Konstantakou E, Anagnostopoulos A, Tsioka M, et al. Targeted Downregulation of s36 Protein Unearths its Cardinal Role in Chorion Biogenesis and Architecture during Drosophila melanogaster Oogenesis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:35511 pubmed publisher..Among the six major proteins involved in chorion's formation, the s36 and s38 ones are synthesized first and regulated in a cell type-specific and developmental stage-dependent manner...
- Maside X, Charlesworth B. Patterns of molecular variation and evolution in Drosophila americana and its relatives. Genetics. 2007;176:2293-305 pubmed..americana and D. virilis. We also find that base composition at neutral sites appears to be in overall equilibrium among these species, but there is evidence for departure from equilibrium for codon usage in some lineages. ..
- Tolias P, Kafatos F. Functional dissection of an early Drosophila chorion gene promoter: expression throughout the follicular epithelium is under spatially composite regulation. EMBO J. 1990;9:1457-64 pubmedWe have fused various DNA sequences located upstream of the Drosophila melanogaster s36 chorion gene TATA box to a heterologous basal promoter and reporter gene (hsp70/lacZ)...
- Mazina O, Belyaeva E, Zhimulev I. Cytogenetical analysis of the 2B3-4-2B11 region of the X chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. VII. Influence of the ecs locus on female fertility. Mol Gen Genet. 1991;225:99-105 pubmed..Thus, an ecs product, which controls cell sensitivity to ecdysterone is also necessary for female fertility.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Pascucci T, Perrino J, Mahowald A, Waring G. Eggshell assembly in Drosophila: processing and localization of vitelline membrane and chorion proteins. Dev Biol. 1996;177:590-8 pubmed..Despite marked temporal differences in their accumulation profiles, s36 and s18, putative chorion proteins, were similarly distributed throughout the floor, pillars, and roof of the ..
- Schlichting K, Wilsch Bräuninger M, Demontis F, Dahmann C. Cadherin Cad99C is required for normal microvilli morphology in Drosophila follicle cells. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:1184-95 pubmed..Furthermore, these results indicate that insects and vertebrates use related cadherins to organize microvilli-like cellular extensions. ..
- French R, Cosand K, Berg C. The Drosophila female sterile mutation twin peaks is a novel allele of tramtrack and reveals a requirement for Ttk69 in epithelial morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;253:18-35 pubmed..We hypothesize that loss of Ttk69 in all follicle cells disrupts chorion gene expression and lack of function in dorsal anterior follicle cells inhibits morphogenetic changes required for elongating the dorsal appendages. ..
- Fargnoli J, Waring G. Identification and cytogenetic localization of vitelline membrane messenger RNAs in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1984;105:41-7 pubmed..The results suggest that the structural genes coding for the small vitelline membrane proteins are localized at two sites on the second chromosome: 39DE and 42A. ..
- Hamodrakas S, Batrinou A, Christophoratou T. Structural and functional features of Drosophila chorion proteins s36 and s38 from analysis of primary structure and infrared spectroscopy. Int J Biol Macromol. 1989;11:307-13 pubmed..and secondary structure prediction methods strongly support a tripartite structure for Drosophila chorion proteins s36 and s38. Each protein consists of a central domain and two flanking 'arms'...
- Spradling A, Digan M, Mahowald A, Scott M, Craig E. Two clusters of genes for major chorion proteins of Drosophila melanogaster. Cell. 1980;19:905-14 pubmed
- Cavaliere V, Bernardi F, Romani P, Duchi S, Gargiulo G. Building up the Drosophila eggshell: first of all the eggshell genes must be transcribed. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:2061-72 pubmed publisher..We will then focus on the findings that correlate follicular epithelium patterning and eggshell gene expression, and discuss the interesting perspectives of an involvement in eggshell assembly of embryonic patterning cues...
- Baker D, Russell S. Gene expression during Drosophila melanogaster egg development before and after reproductive diapause. BMC Genomics. 2009;10:242 pubmed publisher..We believe that our dataset will facilitate further exploration of the developmental and evolutionary characteristics of oogenesis as well as the nature of reproductive arrest in Drosophila. ..
- Maside X, Lee A, Charlesworth B. Selection on codon usage in Drosophila americana. Curr Biol. 2004;14:150-4 pubmed..americana lineage are in approximate equilibrium. Biased gene conversion may also contribute to the observed patterns. ..
- LeMosy E, Hashimoto C. The nudel protease of Drosophila is required for eggshell biogenesis in addition to embryonic patterning. Dev Biol. 2000;217:352-61 pubmed..We discuss how the Nudel protease might be involved in both eggshell biogenesis and embryonic patterning. ..
- Spradling A, Mahowald A. Amplification of genes for chorion proteins during oogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1980;77:1096-100 pubmed
- Orr Weaver T. Drosophila chorion genes: cracking the eggshell's secrets. Bioessays. 1991;13:97-105 pubmed..Regulatory elements for temporal as well as spatial control of chorion gene expression have been characterized, and two candidate transcription factor genes have been cloned. ..
- Waring G, Mahowald A. Identification and time of synthesis of chorion proteins in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell. 1979;16:599-607 pubmed..The sizes and times of synthesis of the chorion proteins correlate closely with the production of poly(A)-containing RNAs by the follicle cells (Spradling and Mahowald, 1979). ..