Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cp1
Description: Cysteine proteinase-1
Alias: CATL_DROME, CG6692, CP1, CT20780, CTSL, CatL, Cath L, CysP-1, DCP1, Dcp-1, Dcp1, Dmel\CG6692, cp1, fs(2)50Ca, cysteine proteinase-1, CG6692-PA, CG6692-PC, CG6692-PD, CG6692-PE, Cp1-PA, Cp1-PC, Cp1-PD, Cp1-PE, L-like cysteine protease, cathepsin L, cysteine proteinase 1, drosophila cysteine proteinase-1
Species: fruit fly
- Matsumoto I, Watanabe H, Abe K, Arai S, Emori Y. A putative digestive cysteine proteinase from Drosophila melanogaster is predominantly expressed in the embryonic and larval midgut. Eur J Biochem. 1995;227:582-7 pubmed..These observations, suggesting that Drosophila cysteine proteinase-1 is a digestive cysteine proteinase which can be used as a model target of phytocystatins, will hopefully lead to new strategies for the regulation of pest insects. ..
- Gouw J, Pinkse M, Vos H, Moshkin Y, Verrijzer C, Heck A, et al. In vivo stable isotope labeling of fruit flies reveals post-transcriptional regulation in the maternal-to-zygotic transition. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009;8:1566-78 pubmed publisher..In addition, we found evidence for post-translational processing of cysteine proteinase-1 (Cathepsin L), which became activated during the MZT as evidenced by the loss of its N-terminal propeptide...
- Tseng T, Cheng C, Chen D, Shih M, Liu Y, Hsu S, et al. A molten globule-to-ordered structure transition of Drosophila melanogaster crammer is required for its ability to inhibit cathepsin. Biochem J. 2012;442:563-72 pubmed publisher..inhibition assay shows that monomeric crammer, not disulfide-bonded dimer, is a strong competitive inhibitor of cathepsin L. Crammer is a monomeric molten globule in acidic solution, a condition that is similar to the environment in ..
- Kinser R, Dolph P. Cathepsin proteases mediate photoreceptor cell degeneration in Drosophila. Neurobiol Dis. 2012;46:655-62 pubmed publisher..Here we show that cathepsins mediate cell death in light-exposed norpA eyes. Moreover, we show that the cathepsin L-like cysteine protease, CP1, specifically mediates retinal degeneration, while the aspartyl protease, cathepsin ..
- Rahman M, Haberman A, Tracy C, Ray S, KRAMER H. Drosophila mauve mutants reveal a role of LYST homologs late in the maturation of phagosomes and autophagosomes. Traffic. 2012;13:1680-92 pubmed publisher..Together these data suggest a model in which Mauve functions to restrict homotypic fusion of different pre-lysosomal organelles and LROs. ..
- Fromm S, Truffault V, Kamenz J, Braun J, Hoffmann N, Izaurralde E, et al. The structural basis of Edc3- and Scd6-mediated activation of the Dcp1:Dcp2 mRNA decapping complex. EMBO J. 2012;31:279-90 pubmed publisherThe Dcp1:Dcp2 decapping complex catalyses the removal of the mRNA 5' cap structure. Activator proteins, including Edc3 (enhancer of decapping 3), modulate its activity...
- Neumüller R, Wirtz Peitz F, Lee S, Kwon Y, BUCKNER M, Hoskins R, et al. Stringent analysis of gene function and protein-protein interactions using fluorescently tagged genes. Genetics. 2012;190:931-40 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that fluorescent traps, paired with recombinant nanobodies and mass spectrometry, allow the study of endogenous protein complexes in Drosophila. ..
- Lyons G, Andersen R, Abdi K, Song W, Kuo C. Cysteine proteinase-1 and cut protein isoform control dendritic innervation of two distinct sensory fields by a single neuron. Cell Rep. 2014;6:783-791 pubmed publisher..An expression screen identified Cysteine proteinase-1 (Cp1) as a critical regulator of this process...
- Puah W, Wasser M. Live imaging of muscles in Drosophila metamorphosis: Towards high-throughput gene identification and function analysis. Methods. 2016;96:103-117 pubmed publisher..We describe mKO2 tagged Cysteine proteinase 1 (Cp1) and Troponin-I (TnI) as examples of proteins showing developmental changes in subcellular ..
- Gray Y, Tanaka M, Sved J. P-element-induced recombination in Drosophila melanogaster: hybrid element insertion. Genetics. 1996;144:1601-10 pubmed..There is also a high tendency for insertion events to occur within a few bases of the original 8-bp target site, including six apparent cases of insertion into the exact site. ..
- Huh J, Vernooy S, Yu H, Yan N, Shi Y, Guo M, et al. Multiple apoptotic caspase cascades are required in nonapoptotic roles for Drosophila spermatid individualization. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E15 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that multiple caspases and caspase regulators, likely acting at distinct points in time and space, are required for spermatid individualization, a nonapoptotic process. ..
- Merrick J, Osman A, Tsai J, Quackenbush J, LoVerde P, Lee N. The Schistosoma mansoni gene index: gene discovery and biology by reconstruction and analysis of expressed gene sequences. J Parasitol. 2003;89:261-9 pubmed..The utility of EST analysis is demonstrated by identifying new protease genes, which may be involved in hemoglobin degradation. ..
- Thakar R, Csink A. Changing chromatin dynamics and nuclear organization during differentiation in Drosophila larval tissue. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:951-60 pubmed
- Peterson J, Barkett M, McCall K. Stage-specific regulation of caspase activity in drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;260:113-23 pubmed..This limited caspase activation in dying nurse cells may prevent destruction of the nurse cell cytoskeleton and the connected oocyte. ..
- Kuleesha Y, Puah W, Wasser M. A model of muscle atrophy based on live microscopy of muscle remodelling in Drosophila metamorphosis. R Soc Open Sci. 2016;3:150517 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the Cathepsin L orthologue Cp1 is required for myonuclear clustering in mid, while autophagy contributes to central positioning ..
- Luan S, Ilvarsonn A, Eissenberg J. The unique GGA clathrin adaptor of Drosophila melanogaster is not essential. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45163 pubmed publisher..However, GGA null flies are hypersensitive to dietary chloroquine and to starvation, implicating GGA in lysosomal function and autophagy. ..
- Hasanagic M, van Meel E, Luan S, Aurora R, Kornfeld S, Eissenberg J. The lysosomal enzyme receptor protein (LERP) is not essential, but is implicated in lysosomal function in Drosophila melanogaster. Biol Open. 2015;4:1316-25 pubmed publisher..Loss of LERP also enhances an eye phenotype associated with defective autophagy. Our findings implicate Lerp in lysosome function and autophagy. ..
- Chi T, Kim M, Lang S, Bose N, Kahn A, Flechner L, et al. A Drosophila model identifies a critical role for zinc in mineralization for kidney stone disease. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0124150 pubmed publisher..Our findings open a novel perspective on the etiology of urinary stones and related diseases, which may lead to the identification of new preventive and therapeutic approaches. ..
- Fernandes A, Uytterhoeven V, Kuenen S, Wang Y, Slabbaert J, Swerts J, et al. Reduced synaptic vesicle protein degradation at lysosomes curbs TBC1D24/sky-induced neurodegeneration. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:453-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings define a mechanism in which synaptic transmission is facilitated by efficient protein turnover at lysosomes and identify a potential strategy to suppress defects arising from TBC1D24 mutations in humans. ..
- Lin M, Fan S, Hsu W, Chou T. Drosophila decapping protein 1, dDcp1, is a component of the oskar mRNP complex and directs its posterior localization in the oocyte. Dev Cell. 2006;10:601-13 pubmed..Thus, as well as being a general factor required for mRNA decay, dDcp1 is an essential component of the osk mRNP localization complex. ..
- White K. Cell death: drosophila Apaf-1 - no longer in the (d)Ark. Curr Biol. 2000;10:R167-9 pubmed..The new findings also suggest that cell death in flies is very similar to that in mammals after all. ..
- Abrams J. An emerging blueprint for apoptosis in Drosophila. Trends Cell Biol. 1999;9:435-40 pubmed..This animal model promises continued insights into the determinants of cell death in 'naturally occurring' and pathological contexts. ..
- Lighthouse D, Buszczak M, Spradling A. New components of the Drosophila fusome suggest it plays novel roles in signaling and transport. Dev Biol. 2008;317:59-71 pubmed publisher..In contrast, rab11 is required to maintain the germline stem cells, and to maintain the vesicle content of the spectrosome, suggesting that the fusome mediates intercellular signals that depend on the recycling endosome. ..
- Preston C, Engels W. P-element-induced male recombination and gene conversion in Drosophila. Genetics. 1996;144:1611-22 pubmed
- Lankenau D, Gloor G. In vivo gap repair in Drosophila: a one-way street with many destinations. Bioessays. 1998;20:317-27 pubmed..This review summarizes results that provide new insights into the process of gap repair in Drosophila and outline some recent experiments that demonstrate the power of the gene targeting technique. ..
- Kuleesha Y, Puah W, Wasser M. Live imaging of muscle histolysis in Drosophila metamorphosis. BMC Dev Biol. 2016;16:12 pubmed publisher..RNA interference (RNAi) of the genes encoding the helicase Rm62 and the lysosomal Cathepsin-L homolog Cysteine proteinase 1 (Cp1) caused premature cell death of persistent muscle in early and mid-pupation, respectively...
- Sriram V, Krishnan K, Mayor S. deep-orange and carnation define distinct stages in late endosomal biogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:593-607 pubmed..This suggests that, in addition to an independent role in fusion with tubular lysosomes, the Sec1p homologue, Car, regulates Dor function. ..
- Kowalewski Nimmerfall E, Schähs P, Maresch D, Rendic D, KRAMER H, Mach L. Drosophila melanogaster cellular repressor of E1A-stimulated genes is a lysosomal protein essential for fly development. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:2900-12 pubmed publisher..Processing and turnover could be substantially reduced by RNAi-mediated silencing of cathepsin L. In contrast to mammalian cells, lysosomal delivery of dCREG does not depend on its carbohydrate moiety...
- Preston C, Sved J, Engels W. Flanking duplications and deletions associated with P-induced male recombination in Drosophila. Genetics. 1996;144:1623-38 pubmed..Furthermore, the retention of a mobile P element allows one to extend the deletion or generate additional variability at the site by subsequent rounds of recombination. ..
- Sweeney S, Davis G. Unrestricted synaptic growth in spinster-a late endosomal protein implicated in TGF-beta-mediated synaptic growth regulation. Neuron. 2002;36:403-16 pubmed..Furthermore, mutations in Dad, an inhibitory Smad, cause synapse overgrowth. We present a model for synaptic growth control with implications for the etiology of lysosomal storage and neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Yu J, Kanai M, Demir E, Jefferis G, Dickson B. Cellular organization of the neural circuit that drives Drosophila courtship behavior. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1602-14 pubmed publisher..Sex-specific behavior may instead arise through dimorphic circuits in the brain and nerve cord that differentially couple sensory input to motor output. ..
- Kumar S, Farmer R, Turnbull A, Tripathy N, Manjasetty B. Structural and functional conservation profiles of novel cathepsin L-like proteins identified in the Drosophila melanogaster genome. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2013;31:1481-9 pubmed publisherb>Cathepsin L is a cysteine protease which degrades connective tissue proteins including collagen, elastin, and fibronectin...