Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: COX5A
Description: Cytochrome c oxidase subunit 5A
Alias: CG14724, COX, COXA, COXA_DROME, CoVa, Cox5a, Dmel\CG14724, cova, tend, cytochrome c oxidase subunit 5A, CG14724-PA, CG14724-PB, CG14724-PC, CG14724-PD, COX5A-PA, COX5A-PB, COX5A-PC, COX5A-PD, cytochrome c oxidase, cytochrome c oxidase Va, cytochrome c oxidase Va, mt precursor, cytochrome c oxidase polypeptide Va, cytochrome c oxidase subunit Va, cytochrome c oxidase subunit Va preprotein, cytochrome oxidase Va, cytochrome oxidase subunit Va, cytochrome-c oxidase subunit Va, subunit Va, subunit Va of complex IV, tenured
Species: fruit fly
- Freije W, Mandal S, Banerjee U. Expression profiling of attenuated mitochondrial function identifies retrograde signals in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:843-51 pubmed publisher..Affymetrix microarray-based transcriptional profiling of Drosophila S2 cells knocked down for the gene encoding subunit Va of the complex IV of the mitochondrial electron transport chain...
- Choo A, O Keefe L, Lee C, Gregory S, Shaukat Z, Colella A, et al. Tumor suppressor WWOX moderates the mitochondrial respiratory complex. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2015;54:745-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ability of WWOX to facilitate escape from mitochondrial damage-induced glycolysis (Warburg effect) is, therefore, a plausible mechanism for its tumor suppressor activity. ..
- Nakamura M, Ohsawa S, Igaki T. Mitochondrial defects trigger proliferation of neighbouring cells via a senescence-associated secretory phenotype in Drosophila. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5264 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that mitochondrial defects promote Ras-induced cellular senescence and thereby contribute to tumour progression through SASP. ..
- Homem C, Steinmann V, Burkard T, Jais A, Esterbauer H, Knoblich J. Ecdysone and mediator change energy metabolism to terminate proliferation in Drosophila neural stem cells. Cell. 2014;158:874-888 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that cell size control can be modified by systemic hormonal signaling and reveal a unique connection between metabolism and proliferation in stem cells. ..
- Walker D, Benzer S. Mitochondrial "swirls" induced by oxygen stress and in the Drosophila mutant hyperswirl. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:10290-5 pubmed..The cristae involved in a swirl are deficient in respiratory enzyme cytochrome c oxidase activity, within an otherwise cytochrome c oxidase-positive mitochondrion...
- Hill J, Chen Z, Xu H. Selective propagation of functional mitochondrial DNA during oogenesis restricts the transmission of a deleterious mitochondrial variant. Nat Genet. 2014;46:389-92 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a previously uncharacterized developmental mechanism for the selective amplification of wild-type mtDNA, which may be evolutionarily conserved to limit the transmission of deleterious mutations. ..
- Barry W, Thummel C. The Drosophila HNF4 nuclear receptor promotes glucose-stimulated insulin secretion and mitochondrial function in adults. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..These findings establish an animal model for MODY1 and define a developmental reprogramming of metabolism to support the energetic needs of the mature animal. ..
- Maier D, Farr C, Poeck B, Alahari A, Vogel M, Fischer S, et al. Mitochondrial single-stranded DNA-binding protein is required for mitochondrial DNA replication and development in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:821-30 pubmed..lopo(1) is the first mtSSB mutant in higher eukaryotes, and its analysis demonstrates the essential function of this gene in development, providing an excellent model to study mitochondrial biogenesis in animals. ..
- Wang Y, Cruz T, Irion U, Moussian B. Differentiated muscles are mandatory for gas-filling of the Drosophila airway system. Biol Open. 2015;4:1753-61 pubmed publisher..We think that in analogy to the function of smooth muscles in vertebrate lungs, a balance of physical forces between muscles and the elasticity of tracheal walls may be decisive for tracheal terminal differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Porcelli D, Oliva M, Duchi S, Latorre D, Cavaliere V, Barsanti P, et al. Genetic, functional and evolutionary characterization of scox, the Drosophila melanogaster ortholog of the human SCO1 gene. Mitochondrion. 2010;10:433-48 pubmed publisherSCO proteins are copper-donor chaperones involved in the assembly of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase (COX)...
- Ferguson M, Mockett R, Shen Y, Orr W, Sohal R. Age-associated decline in mitochondrial respiration and electron transport in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem J. 2005;390:501-11 pubmed..There was also a significant age-related decline in the activity of cytochrome c oxidase (complex IV), but not of the other mitochondrial oxidoreductases examined...
- Caggese C, Ragone G, Perrini B, Moschetti R, De Pinto V, Caizzi R, et al. Identification of nuclear genes encoding mitochondrial proteins: isolation of a collection of D. melanogaster cDNAs homologous to sequences in the Human Gene Index database. Mol Gen Genet. 1999;261:64-70 pubmed..Our experimental strategy represents an efficient approach to the identification and interspecies comparison of genes encoding products targeted to the mitochondrion. ..
- Ohsawa S, Sato Y, Enomoto M, Nakamura M, Betsumiya A, Igaki T. Mitochondrial defect drives non-autonomous tumour progression through Hippo signalling in Drosophila. Nature. 2012;490:547-51 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide a mechanistic basis for interclonal tumour progression driven by mitochondrial dysfunction and oncogenic Ras...
- Ren J, Rebrin I, Klichko V, Orr W, Sohal R. Cytochrome c oxidase loses catalytic activity and structural integrity during the aging process in Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;401:64-8 pubmed publisherThe hypothesis, that structural deterioration of cytochrome c oxidase (CcO) is a causal factor in the age-related decline in mitochondrial respiratory activity and an increase in H?O? generation, was tested in Drosophila melanogaster...
- Kalifa Y, Huang T, Rosen L, Chatterjee S, Gavis E. Glorund, a Drosophila hnRNP F/H homolog, is an ovarian repressor of nanos translation. Dev Cell. 2006;10:291-301 pubmed..These data, together with the analysis of a glorund null mutant, reveal a specific role for an hnRNP in repression of nanos translation during oogenesis. ..