Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cort
Alias: CG11330, Cort, Dmel\CG11330, cor, cortex, CG11330-PA, CG11330-PB, cdc20-like, cort-PA, cort-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Batiha O, Swan A. Evidence that the spindle assembly checkpoint does not regulate APC(Fzy) activity in Drosophila female meiosis. Genome. 2012;55:63-7 pubmed publisher..for the inability of APC(Fzy) to target cyclin B and promote anaphase in metaphase II arrested eggs from cort mutant females...
- Renault A, Zhang X, Alphey L, Frenz L, Glover D, Saunders R, et al. giant nuclei is essential in the cell cycle transition from meiosis to mitosis. Development. 2003;130:2997-3005 pubmed..Ovarian death and sterility result from gnu gain of function. gnu function requires the activity of pan gu and plu. ..
- Krauchunas A, Sackton K, Wolfner M. Phospho-regulation pathways during egg activation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2013;195:171-80 pubmed publisher..Arrest, Spindly, and Vap-33-1-as molecular markers, we showed that the egg activation genes sarah, CanB2, and cortex are required for the phospho-regulation of multiple proteins...
- Cook K, Murphy T, Nguyen T, Karpen G. Identification of trans-acting genes necessary for centromere function in Drosophila melanogaster using centromere-defective minichromosomes. Genetics. 1997;145:737-47 pubmed..The results presented in this study strongly suggest that dominant genetic interactions between mutations and centromere-defective minichromosomes could be used effectively to identify novel genes necessary for centromere function. ..
- Sackton K, Buehner N, Wolfner M. Modulation of MAPK activities during egg activation in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2007;1:222-7 pubmed..in levels of phospho-MAPK occurs normally in embryos laid by sterile females mutant in the egg activation genes cortex, sarah, and prage...
- Chen B, Chu T, Harms E, Gergen J, Strickland S. Mapping of Drosophila mutations using site-specific male recombination. Genetics. 1998;149:157-63 pubmed..the general method and its application to the mapping of two EMS-induced female-sterile mutations, grauzone and cortex. Within two months, the grauzone gene was mapped relative to seven different P-element insertion sites, and cortex ..
- Swan A, Barcelo G, Schupbach T. Drosophila Cks30A interacts with Cdk1 to target Cyclin A for destruction in the female germline. Development. 2005;132:3669-78 pubmed..to regulate Cyclin A levels through the activity of a female germline-specific anaphase-promoting complex, CDC20-Cortex. We also find that a second closely related Cks gene, Cks85A, plays a distinct, non-overlapping role in Drosophila,..
- Whitfield Z, Chisholm J, Hawley R, Orr Weaver T. A meiosis-specific form of the APC/C promotes the oocyte-to-embryo transition by decreasing levels of the Polo kinase inhibitor matrimony. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001648 pubmed publisher..specific to meiosis whose levels must be decreased to begin embryogenesis properly? The Drosophila protein Cortex (Cort) is a female, meiosis-specific activator of the Anaphase Promoting Complex/Cyclosome (APC/C), an E3 ..
- Vardy L, Pesin J, Orr Weaver T. Regulation of Cyclin A protein in meiosis and early embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:1838-43 pubmed publisher..in a pattern consistent with autophosphorylation, and this form accumulates aberrantly in metaphase I if the Cortex form of the Anaphase Promoting Complex/Cyclosome is inactive...
- Ivshina M, Lasko P, Richter J. Cytoplasmic polyadenylation element binding proteins in development, health, and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2014;30:393-415 pubmed publisher..We review the biochemical features of the CPEB proteins, discuss their activities in several biological systems, and illustrate how understanding CPEB activity in model organisms has an important impact on neurological disease. ..
- Benoit P, Papin C, Kwak J, Wickens M, Simonelig M. PAP- and GLD-2-type poly(A) polymerases are required sequentially in cytoplasmic polyadenylation and oogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2008;135:1969-79 pubmed publisher..We conclude that two distinct poly(A) polymerases have a role in cytoplasmic polyadenylation in the female germline, each of them being specifically required for different steps of oogenesis. ..
- Swan A, Schupbach T. Drosophila female meiosis and embryonic syncytial mitosis use specialized Cks and CDC20 proteins for cyclin destruction. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:1332-4 pubmed..destruction in the female germline, possibly through the activation of a novel germline specific CDC20 protein, Cortex. These results indicate that anaphase progression in female meiosis and the early embryo are under unique control ..
- Johnson R, Seppa M, Cagan R. The Drosophila CD2AP/CIN85 orthologue Cindr regulates junctions and cytoskeleton dynamics during tissue patterning. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:1191-204 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that Cindr is involved in dynamic cell rearrangement in an emerging epithelium. ..
- Acquaviva C, Pines J. The anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome: APC/C. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2401-4 pubmed
- Weil T, Parton R, Davis I, Gavis E. Changes in bicoid mRNA anchoring highlight conserved mechanisms during the oocyte-to-embryo transition. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1055-61 pubmed publisher..Egg activation triggers bcd release from the anterior cortex for proper deployment in the embryo, probably through reorganization of the actin cytoskeleton...
- Buttitta L, Katzaroff A, Edgar B. A robust cell cycle control mechanism limits E2F-induced proliferation of terminally differentiated cells in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:981-96 pubmed publisher..These mechanisms are essential for proper development, as evading them leads to tissue outgrowths composed of dividing but terminally differentiated cells. ..
- Thomsen S, Anders S, Janga S, Huber W, Alonso C. Genome-wide analysis of mRNA decay patterns during early Drosophila development. Genome Biol. 2010;11:R93 pubmed publisher..Our data also provide a valuable resource for further experimental and computational studies investigating the process of mRNA decay. ..
- Schisa J, Strickland S. Cytoplasmic polyadenylation of Toll mRNA is required for dorsal-ventral patterning in Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1998;125:2995-3003 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that regulated polyadenylation plays a critical role in the Drosophila dorsal-ventral patterning system. ..
- Elfring L, Axton J, Fenger D, Page A, Carminati J, Orr Weaver T. Drosophila PLUTONIUM protein is a specialized cell cycle regulator required at the onset of embryogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:583-93 pubmed..Our data suggest that PLU protein is required at the time of egg activation and the completion of meiosis. ..
- Rivera Pomar R, Jackle H. From gradients to stripes in Drosophila embryogenesis: filling in the gaps. Trends Genet. 1996;12:478-83 pubmed..Recent progress has begun to reveal the mechanisms by which coherent positional information of maternal origin becomes transferred into serially repeated zygotic gene expression domains reflecting the metameric body plan of the larva. ..
- Hake L, Richter J. Translational regulation of maternal mRNA. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1332:M31-8 pubmed
- Kronja I, Whitfield Z, Yuan B, Dzeyk K, Kirkpatrick J, Krijgsveld J, et al. Quantitative proteomics reveals the dynamics of protein changes during Drosophila oocyte maturation and the oocyte-to-embryo transition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:16023-8 pubmed publisher..We find down-regulation of this class of proteins to be mediated partially by APC/C(CORT), a meiosis-specific form of the E3 ligase anaphase promoting complex/cyclosome (APC/C).