Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cni
Alias: BG:DS02740.13, CG5855, Cni, Dmel\CG5855, anon-35Fe, spnG, cornichon, CG5855-PA, CG5855-PB, CG5855-PC, cni-PA, cni-PB, cni-PC, spindle-G
Species: fruit fly
- Forlani S, Ferrandon D, Saget O, Mohier E. A regulatory function for K10 in the establishment of dorsoventral polarity in the Drosophila egg and embryo. Mech Dev. 1993;41:109-20 pubmed..A few early-acting genes, K10, top, grk and cni, have been identified which are assumed to function in a signal transduction process between the germline oocyte ..
- Bökel C, Dass S, Wilsch Bräuninger M, Roth S. Drosophila Cornichon acts as cargo receptor for ER export of the TGFalpha-like growth factor Gurken. Development. 2006;133:459-70 pubmedDrosophila Cornichon (Cni) is the founding member of a conserved protein family that also includes Erv14p, an integral component of the COPII-coated vesicles that mediate cargo export from the yeast endoplasmic reticulum (ER)...
- Herpers B, Rabouille C. mRNA localization and ER-based protein sorting mechanisms dictate the use of transitional endoplasmic reticulum-golgi units involved in gurken transport in Drosophila oocytes. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5306-17 pubmed..We propose that this pretranslational mechanism could be a general way for targeted secretion in polarized cells, such as neurons. ..
- Parkhurst S, Delidakis C. Fly developments: an introspective. Bioessays. 2003;25:87-9 pubmed
- Schupbach T, Roth S. Dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:502-7 pubmed..This localized signal from the oocyte to the follicle cells appears to initiate a cascade of events leading to dorsal follicle cell differentiation, and delimiting and orienting the future dorsoventral axis of the embryo. ..
- Kugler J, Chicoine J, Lasko P. Bicaudal-C associates with a Trailer Hitch/Me31B complex and is required for efficient Gurken secretion. Dev Biol. 2009;328:160-72 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results implicate translational regulation by Bic-C and Tral in the secretory pathway. ..
- Roth S, Neuman Silberberg F, Barcelo G, Sch pbach T. cornichon and the EGF receptor signaling process are necessary for both anterior-posterior and dorsal-ventral pattern formation in Drosophila. Cell. 1995;81:967-78 pubmed..b>cornichon is a gene required in the germline for dorsal-ventral signaling...
- Kelley R. Initial organization of the Drosophila dorsoventral axis depends on an RNA-binding protein encoded by the squid gene. Genes Dev. 1993;7:948-60 pubmed..The ventralizing mutations gurken (grk), torpedo (tor), and cornichon are all epistatic to sqd. Strong alleles of grk and top can act as dominant suppressors of sqd dorsalization...
- Neuman Silberberg F, Schupbach T. The Drosophila dorsoventral patterning gene gurken produces a dorsally localized RNA and encodes a TGF alpha-like protein. Cell. 1993;75:165-74 pubmed..We propose that the dorsal localization of grk RNA results in a spatially restricted ligand that asymmetrically activates the receptor. ..
- Dawson I, Roth S, Artavanis Tsakonas S. The Drosophila cell cycle gene fizzy is required for normal degradation of cyclins A and B during mitosis and has homology to the CDC20 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 1995;129:725-37 pubmed..Our data suggest that fzy function is required for normal cell cycle-regulated proteolysis that is necessary for successful progress through mitosis. ..
- Peri F, Bökel C, Roth S. Local Gurken signaling and dynamic MAPK activation during Drosophila oogenesis. Mech Dev. 1999;81:75-88 pubmed..Instead they are specified by secondary signal amplification and refinement processes that integrate the Gurken signal with positive and negative feedback mechanisms generated by target genes of the DER pathway. ..
- Christerson L, McKearin D. orb is required for anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning during Drosophila oogenesis. Genes Dev. 1994;8:614-28 pubmed
- Rivera Pomar R, Jackle H. From gradients to stripes in Drosophila embryogenesis: filling in the gaps. Trends Genet. 1996;12:478-83 pubmed..Recent progress has begun to reveal the mechanisms by which coherent positional information of maternal origin becomes transferred into serially repeated zygotic gene expression domains reflecting the metameric body plan of the larva. ..
- González Reyes A, Elliott H, St Johnston D. Polarization of both major body axes in Drosophila by gurken-torpedo signalling. Nature. 1995;375:654-8 pubmed..As the gurken-torpedo/DER pathway also establishes dorsoventral polarity later in oogenesis, Drosophila uses the same germline to soma signalling pathway to determine both embryonic axes. ..
- Fischer J. Molecular motors and developmental asymmetry. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2000;10:489-96 pubmed..The extent of possible regulatory complexity is only beginning to emerge. ..
- Lei Y, Warrior R. The Drosophila Lissencephaly1 (DLis1) gene is required for nuclear migration. Dev Biol. 2000;226:57-72 pubmed..DLis1 shows genetic interactions with the Glued and Dynein heavy chain subunits of the dynein/dynactin complex, supporting the idea that the Lis1 family of proteins plays a role in microtubule motor-based nuclear motility. ..
- Neuman Silberberg F, Schupbach T. The Drosophila TGF-alpha-like protein Gurken: expression and cellular localization during Drosophila oogenesis. Mech Dev. 1996;59:105-13 pubmed..and dorsal-ventral polarity of the Drosophila egg and embryo depends on the function of the genes gurken, cornichon and Egfr (Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor homolog)...
- Duffy J, Perrimon N. Recent advances in understanding signal transduction pathways in worms and flies. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1996;8:231-8 pubmed..Current work in both systems has provided new opportunities to investigate the potential for the cross-talk between these different signaling pathways. ..
- Khuc Trong P, Doerflinger H, Dunkel J, St Johnston D, Goldstein R. Cortical microtubule nucleation can organise the cytoskeleton of Drosophila oocytes to define the anteroposterior axis. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, our three-dimensional model explains many features of the MT network and highlights the importance of differential cortical MT nucleation for axis formation. ..
- Eberl D, Ren D, Feng G, Lorenz L, Van Vactor D, Hall L. Genetic and developmental characterization of Dmca1D, a calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;148:1159-69 pubmed..Those that do eclose have difficulty in fluid-filling of the wings. These studies show that this member of the calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene family plays a nonredundant, vital role in larvae and adults. ..
- Pizette S, Rabouille C, Cohen S, Therond P. Glycosphingolipids control the extracellular gradient of the Drosophila EGFR ligand Gurken. Development. 2009;136:551-61 pubmed publisher..Our study assigns a novel role for GSLs in morphogen diffusion, possibly through regulation of their conformation. ..
- Gavis E. Pattern formation. Gurken meets torpedo for the first time. Curr Biol. 1995;5:1252-4 pubmed..Intercellular communication between oocyte and follicle cells, mediated by the gurken-torpedo/DER signalling pathway, has a crucial role in determining both anterior-posterior and dorsal-ventral polarity in Drosophila. ..