Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cdk9
Description: Cyclin-dependent kinase 9
Alias: CDK9, CG5179, Dmel\CG5179, P-TEF, P-TEFb, PTefb, cdk9, Cyclin-dependent kinase 9, CG5179-PA, Cdk9-PA, Cyclin-dependent kinase9 2.7, p43 PITALRE, positive transcription elongation factor b, positive transcription elongation factor b, small subunit
Species: fruit fly
- Marshall N, Peng J, Xie Z, Price D. Control of RNA polymerase II elongation potential by a novel carboxyl-terminal domain kinase. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:27176-83 pubmed..into a productive mode of elongation is controlled, in part, by the postinitiation activity of positive transcription elongation factor b (P-TEFb) (Marshall, N. F., and Price, D. H. (1995) J. Biol. Chem. 270, 12335-12338)...
- Lis J, Mason P, Peng J, Price D, Werner J. P-TEFb kinase recruitment and function at heat shock loci. Genes Dev. 2000;14:792-803 pubmedP-TEFb, a heterodimer of the kinase Cdk9 and cyclin T, was isolated as a factor that stimulates formation of productive transcription elongation complexes in vitro...
- Panda D, Pascual García P, Dunagin M, Tudor M, Hopkins K, Xu J, et al. Nup98 promotes antiviral gene expression to restrict RNA viral infection in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E3890-9 pubmed publisher..These Nup98-dependent virus-induced genes are Cdk9-dependent and translation-independent suggesting that these are rapidly induced primary response genes...
- Galloni M, Edgar B. Cell-autonomous and non-autonomous growth-defective mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 1999;126:2365-75 pubmed..The isolation of non-cell-autonomous larval growth-defective mutants suggests that specialized organs coordinate growth throughout the animal and provides new tools for studies of organismal growth regulation. ..
- Kim S, Min I, Ren S, Spector A, Jin M, Lis J. Development of temperature-sensitive mutants of the Drosophila melanogaster P-TEFb (Cyclin T/CDK9) heterodimer using yeast two-hybrid screening. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;433:243-8 pubmed publisherP-TEFb complex, a heterodimer of the kinase CDK9 and Cyclin T, is a critical factor that stimulates the process of transcription elongation...
- Qi T, Tang W, Wang L, Zhai L, Guo L, Zeng X. G-actin participates in RNA polymerase II-dependent transcription elongation by recruiting positive transcription elongation factor b (P-TEFb). J Biol Chem. 2011;286:15171-81 pubmed publisherActin is a key regulator of RNA polymerase (Pol) II-dependent transcription. Positive transcription elongation factor b (P-TEFb), a Cdk9/cyclin T1 heterodimer, has been reported to play a critical role in transcription elongation...
- Baumgardt M, Karlsson D, Salmani B, Bivik C, MacDonald R, Gunnar E, et al. Global programmed switch in neural daughter cell proliferation mode triggered by a temporal gene cascade. Dev Cell. 2014;30:192-208 pubmed publisher..This reveals a logical principle underlying progenitor and daughter cell proliferation control in the Drosophila CNS. ..
- Achary B, Campbell K, Co I, Gilmour D. RNAi screen in Drosophila larvae identifies histone deacetylase 3 as a positive regulator of the hsp70 heat shock gene expression during heat shock. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1839:355-63 pubmed publisher..We validated the screen by showing that the depletion of HSF, CycT, Cdk9, Nurf 301, or ELL prevented the full induction of hsp70 by heat shock...
- Kankare M, Salminen T, Laiho A, Vesala L, Hoikkala A. Changes in gene expression linked with adult reproductive diapause in a northern malt fly species: a candidate gene microarray study. BMC Ecol. 2010;10:3 pubmed publisher..montana is worth of studying in more details. Also, further studies using the candidate gene microarray with more specific experimental designs and target tissues may reveal additional genes with more restricted expression patterns. ..
- Chlamydas S, Holz H, Samata M, Chelmicki T, Georgiev P, Pelechano V, et al. Functional interplay between MSL1 and CDK7 controls RNA polymerase II Ser5 phosphorylation. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:580-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that, by virtue of its interaction with components of the general transcription machinery, MSL1 exists in different phosphorylation states, thereby modulating transcription in flies. ..
- Fisher R. Secrets of a double agent: CDK7 in cell-cycle control and transcription. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:5171-80 pubmed..This connection might help to ensure that mRNAs encoding effectors of cell division are expressed at the right time in the cycle. ..
- Srinivasan S, Dorighi K, Tamkun J. Drosophila Kismet regulates histone H3 lysine 27 methylation and early elongation by RNA polymerase II. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000217 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that KIS-L promotes early elongation and counteracts Polycomb group repression by recruiting the ASH1 and TRX histone methyltransferases to chromatin. ..
- Petesch S, Lis J. Rapid, transcription-independent loss of nucleosomes over a large chromatin domain at Hsp70 loci. Cell. 2008;134:74-84 pubmed publisher..An RNAi screen of 28 transcription and chromatin-related factors reveals that depletion of heat shock factor, GAGA Factor, or Poly(ADP)-Ribose Polymerase or its activity abolishes the loss of nucleosomes upon Hsp70 activation. ..
- Boehm A, Saunders A, Werner J, Lis J. Transcription factor and polymerase recruitment, modification, and movement on dhsp70 in vivo in the minutes following heat shock. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7628-37 pubmed..These studies of factor choreography set important limits in modeling transcription regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Sansone C, Cohen J, Yasunaga A, Xu J, Osborn G, Subramanian H, et al. Microbiota-Dependent Priming of Antiviral Intestinal Immunity in Drosophila. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;18:571-81 pubmed publisher..a second virus-initiated signaling event involving release of transcriptional paused genes mediated by the kinase Cdk9 is also required for Pvf2 production...
- Hanyu Nakamura K, Sonobe Nojima H, Tanigawa A, Lasko P, Nakamura A. Drosophila Pgc protein inhibits P-TEFb recruitment to chromatin in primordial germ cells. Nature. 2008;451:730-3 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Pgc interacts, physically and genetically, with positive transcription elongation factor b (P-TEFb), the CTD Ser 2 kinase complex, and prevents its recruitment to transcription sites...
- Nguyen D, Krueger B, Sedore S, Brogie J, Rogers J, Rajendra T, et al. The Drosophila 7SK snRNP and the essential role of dHEXIM in development. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:5283-97 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that regulation of P-TEFb by the d7SK snRNP is essential for the growth and differentiation of tissues required during Drosophila development. ..
- Eissenberg J, Shilatifard A, Dorokhov N, Michener D. Cdk9 is an essential kinase in Drosophila that is required for heat shock gene expression, histone methylation and elongation factor recruitment. Mol Genet Genomics. 2007;277:101-14 pubmed..We knocked down the catalytic subunit of P-TEFb, Cdk9, in Drosophila melanogaster using RNA interference. Cdk9 knockdown flies die during metamorphosis...
- Galloni M. Bonsaï, a ribosomal protein S15 homolog, involved in gut mitochondrial activity and systemic growth. Dev Biol. 2003;264:482-94 pubmed..Altogether, these observations suggest that mitochondrial activity is regulated at the tissue-specific level and that this regulation has profound implications for growth and development. ..