Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cdk5
Description: Cyclin-dependent kinase 5
Alias: CDK5, CG8203, DmCdk5, Dmel\CG8203, cdk5, Cyclin-dependent kinase 5, CG8203-PA, Cdk5-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Lin H, Lin T, Juang J. Abl deregulates Cdk5 kinase activity and subcellular localization in Drosophila neurodegeneration. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:607-15 pubmedAlthough Abl functions in mature neurons, work to date has not addressed Abl's role on Cdk5 in neurodegeneration...
- Zhong J, Zhang H, Stanyon C, Tromp G, Finley R. A strategy for constructing large protein interaction maps using the yeast two-hybrid system: regulated expression arrays and two-phase mating. Genome Res. 2003;13:2691-9 pubmed..We also present a three-dimensional pooling scheme to further increase the efficiency of large-scale two-hybrid analyses. ..
- Demay Y, Perochon J, Szuplewski S, Mignotte B, Gaumer S. The PERK pathway independently triggers apoptosis and a Rac1/Slpr/JNK/Dilp8 signaling favoring tissue homeostasis in a chronic ER stress Drosophila model. Cell Death Dis. 2014;5:e1452 pubmed publisher..Thanks to a novel chronic ER stress model, these results establish a new pathway that both participates in tissue homeostasis and triggers apoptosis through an original regulation. ..
- Ryoo H. Drosophila as a model for unfolded protein response research. BMB Rep. 2015;48:445-53 pubmed..The fact that the basic UPR pathways are conserved, together with the availability of many human disease models in this organism, makes Drosophila a powerful tool for studying human disease mechanisms. ..
- Rincon Limas D, Jensen K, Fernandez Funez P. Drosophila models of proteinopathies: the little fly that could. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18:1108-22 pubmed..To remain relevant in this competitive environment, Drosophila models will need to expand their flexible, innovative, and multidisciplinary approaches to find new discoveries and translational applications. ..
- Nannapaneni K, Ben Shahar Y, Keen H, Welsh M, Casavant T, Scheetz T. Computational identification of operon-like transcriptional loci in eukaryotes. Comput Biol Med. 2013;43:738-43 pubmed publisher..elegans and some instances in Drosophila. We identify several candidate operons in Drosophila melanogaster of which two have been subsequently molecularly validated. ..
- Lin T, Huang C, Chou W, Juang J. Abi enhances Abl-mediated CDC2 phosphorylation and inactivation. J Biomed Sci. 2004;11:902-10 pubmed..Furthermore, coexpression of Abl and Abi in Drosophila S2 cells led to suppression of cell growth. These data suggest that Abl signaling may be involved in the downregulation of Cdc2 kinase in cell cycle control. ..
- Choksi D, Roy B, Chatterjee S, Yusuff T, Bakhoum M, Sengupta U, et al. TDP-43 Phosphorylation by casein kinase I? promotes oligomerization and enhances toxicity in vivo. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:1025-35 pubmed publisher..TDP-43 in the fly is specific for DBT, as it is not observed using the validated tau kinases GSK-3?, PAR-1/MARK2 or CDK5. Coexpression of DBT with TDP-43(Q331K) enhances the formation of high-molecular weight oligomeric species ..
- Rascle A, Stowers R, Garza D, Lepesant J, Hogness D. L63, the Drosophila PFTAIRE, interacts with two novel proteins unrelated to cyclins. Mech Dev. 2003;120:617-28 pubmed..Interaction between L63 and PIF-1B was confirmed in vitro and in vivo. The role of this interaction remains to be demonstrated, but our data suggest that PIF-1B might serve as a regulator of L63. ..
- Lin C, Tsai P, Wu R, Chien C. LRRK2 G2019S mutation induces dendrite degeneration through mislocalization and phosphorylation of tau by recruiting autoactivated GSK3ß. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13138-49 pubmed publisher..G2019S increases the recruitment of autoactivated Sgg, thus inducing hyperphosphorylation and mislocalization of tau with resultant dendrite degeneration. ..
- Smith Trunova S, Prithviraj R, Spurrier J, Kuzina I, Gu Q, Giniger E. Cdk5 regulates developmental remodeling of mushroom body neurons in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:1550-63 pubmed publisher..We show here that the neuronal cyclin-dependent kinase, Cdk5, regulates the timing and rate of mushroom body remodeling: reduced Cdk5 activity causes a delay in pruning of MB ..
- Kang M, Chung J, Ryoo H. CDK5 and MEKK1 mediate pro-apoptotic signalling following endoplasmic reticulum stress in an autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa model. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:409-15 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the identification of a signalling pathway mediated by cdk5 and mekk1 required for ER-stress-induced apoptosis...
- Sauer K, Weigmann K, Sigrist S, Lehner C. Novel members of the cdc2-related kinase family in Drosophila: cdk4/6, cdk5, PFTAIRE, and PITSLRE kinase. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1759-69 pubmed..comparisons suggest that the four putative kinases represent the Drosophila homologues of vertebrate cdk4/6, cdk5, PCTAIRE, and PITSLRE kinases...
- Trunova S, Giniger E. Absence of the Cdk5 activator p35 causes adult-onset neurodegeneration in the central brain of Drosophila. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:210-9 pubmed publisherAltered function of Cdk5 kinase is associated with many forms of neurodegenerative disease in humans...
- Choe E, Liao L, Zhou J, Cheng D, Duong D, Jin P, et al. Neuronal morphogenesis is regulated by the interplay between cyclin-dependent kinase 5 and the ubiquitin ligase mind bomb 1. J Neurosci. 2007;27:9503-12 pubmed..such as casein kinase II, MARK (microtubule affinity regulating kinase)/PAR1, and cyclin-dependent kinase 5 (CDK5)...
- Liu J, Kipreos E. Evolution of cyclin-dependent kinases (CDKs) and CDK-activating kinases (CAKs): differential conservation of CAKs in yeast and metazoa. Mol Biol Evol. 2000;17:1061-74 pubmed
- Kolonin M, Finley R. Targeting cyclin-dependent kinases in Drosophila with peptide aptamers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:14266-71 pubmed..Combined, our results demonstrate that peptide aptamers generated by yeast two-hybrid methods can serve as inhibitory reagents to target specific proteins in vivo. ..
- Ben Shahar Y, Nannapaneni K, Casavant T, Scheetz T, Welsh M. Eukaryotic operon-like transcription of functionally related genes in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:222-7 pubmed..These data reveal eukaryotic operon-like transcription of functionally related genes in Drosophila. The results also suggest that operon-based transcription may be more common in eukaryotes than previously appreciated. ..
- Chow C, Kelsey K, Wolfner M, Clark A. Candidate genetic modifiers of retinitis pigmentosa identified by exploiting natural variation in Drosophila. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:651-9 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the utility of studying a pathogenic mutation across a wide range of genetic backgrounds. These candidate modifiers provide new avenues of inquiry that may reveal new RP disease mechanisms and therapies. ..