Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Cat
Alias: CAT, CATA, CG6871, CT21282, CatA, DMCATHPO, DROCATHPO, Dmel\CG6871, U00145, bs36h11.y1, cat, catalase, catalase, CATHPO, CG6871-PA, Cat-PA, cytosolic catalase
Species: fruit fly
- Orr W, Mockett R, Benes J, Sohal R. Effects of overexpression of copper-zinc and manganese superoxide dismutases, catalase, and thioredoxin reductase genes on longevity in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26418-22 pubmedThe overexpression of antioxidative enzymes such as CuZn-superoxide dismutase (SOD), Mn-SOD, and catalase has previously been reported to extend life span in transgenic flies (Drosophila melanogaster)...
- Orr W, Sohal R. Extension of life-span by overexpression of superoxide dismutase and catalase in Drosophila melanogaster. Science. 1994;263:1128-30 pubmed..was tested by a study of the effects of simultaneous overexpression of copper-zinc superoxide dismutase and catalase. As compared to diploid controls, transgenic flies carrying three copies of each of these genes exhibited as much ..
- Peng C, Zuo Y, Kwan K, Liang Y, Ma K, Chan H, et al. Blueberry extract prolongs lifespan of Drosophila melanogaster. Exp Gerontol. 2012;47:170-8 pubmed publisher..mean lifespan of fruit flies by 10%, accompanied by up-regulating gene expression of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and Rpn11 and down-regulating Methuselah (MTH) gene...
- Arking R, Burde V, Graves K, Hari R, Feldman E, Zeevi A, et al. Forward and reverse selection for longevity in Drosophila is characterized by alteration of antioxidant gene expression and oxidative damage patterns. Exp Gerontol. 2000;35:167-85 pubmed
- Vrailas Mortimer A, Del Rivero T, Mukherjee S, Nag S, Gaitanidis A, Kadas D, et al. A muscle-specific p38 MAPK/Mef2/MnSOD pathway regulates stress, motor function, and life span in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2011;21:783-95 pubmed publisher..We propose that potentiating p38K might be instrumental in restoring the mitochondrial detoxification machinery and combating stress-induced aging. ..
- Mockett R, Orr W, Rahmandar J, Sohal B, Sohal R. Antioxidant status and stress resistance in long- and short-lived lines of Drosophila melanogaster. Exp Gerontol. 2001;36:441-63 pubmed..In fact, catalase activity was significantly lower in the long-lived flies...
- Anderson P, Kirby K, Hilliker A, Phillips J. RNAi-mediated suppression of the mitochondrial iron chaperone, frataxin, in Drosophila. Hum Mol Genet. 2005;14:3397-405 pubmed..Finally, overexpression of Sod1, Sod2 or Cat does not suppress the failure of DFH-deficient animals to successfully complete eclosion, suggesting a minimal role ..
- Griswold C, Matthews A, Bewley K, Mahaffey J. Molecular characterization and rescue of acatalasemic mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1993;134:781-8 pubmedThe enzyme catalase protects aerobic organisms from oxygen-free radical damage by converting hydrogen peroxide to molecular oxygen and water before it can decompose to form the highly reactive hydroxyl radical...
- Mackay W, Bewley G. The genetics of catalase in Drosophila melanogaster: isolation and characterization of acatalasemic mutants. Genetics. 1989;122:643-52 pubmed..b>Catalase (H2O2:H2O2 oxidoreductase; EC 1.15.1...
- Orr W, Sohal R. The effects of catalase gene overexpression on life span and resistance to oxidative stress in transgenic Drosophila melanogaster. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1992;297:35-41 pubmed..b>Catalase (H2O2:H2O2 oxidoreductase; EC1.11.1...
- Ha E, Oh C, Ryu J, Bae Y, Kang S, Jang I, et al. An antioxidant system required for host protection against gut infection in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2005;8:125-32 pubmed..Here, we show that in Drosophila an extracellular immune-regulated catalase (IRC) mediates a key host defense system that is needed during host-microbe interaction in the gastrointestinal ..
- Li Y, Chan H, Yao X, Huang Y, Chen Z. Green tea catechins and broccoli reduce fat-induced mortality in Drosophila melanogaster. J Nutr Biochem. 2008;19:376-83 pubmed..melanogaster maintained on the GTC- and BE-supplemented diet. Accordingly, catalase and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activities increased significantly in the flies fed with a GTC or a BE diet ..
- Choi N, Kim J, Yang D, Kim Y, Yoo M. Age-related changes in Drosophila midgut are associated with PVF2, a PDGF/VEGF-like growth factor. Aging Cell. 2008;7:318-34 pubmed publisher..We determined that oxidative stress, induced by paraquat treatment or loss of catalase function, mimicked the changes associated with aging in the midgut...
- Le Bourg E -. Oxidative stress, aging and longevity in Drosophila melanogaster. FEBS Lett. 2001;498:183-6 pubmed..It is concluded that antioxidant enzymes are probably poorly connected to the normal aging process, but they allow the organism to cope with stressful conditions. ..
- Hirano Y, Kuriyama Y, Miyashita T, Horiuchi J, Saitoe M. Reactive oxygen species are not involved in the onset of age-related memory impairment in Drosophila. Genes Brain Behav. 2012;11:79-86 pubmed publisher..feeding greatly reduced fly survival, and increased oxidized proteins and transcripts of an antioxidant enzyme, catalase (Cat) and a stress-responsive chaperone, heat-shock protein 22 (Hsp22) in fly heads...
- Sohal R, Weindruch R. Oxidative stress, caloric restriction, and aging. Science. 1996;273:59-63 pubmed..iii) Restriction of caloric intake lowers steady-state levels of oxidative stress and damage, retards age-associated changes, and extends the maximum life-span in mammals. ..
- Sun J, Tower J. FLP recombinase-mediated induction of Cu/Zn-superoxide dismutase transgene expression can extend the life span of adult Drosophila melanogaster flies. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:216-28 pubmed..FLP recombinase was used in a binary transgenic system ("FLP-OUT") to allow induced overexpression of catalase and/or Cu/Zn-superoxide dismutase (Cu/ZnSOD) in adult Drosophila melanogaster...
- Boulianne G. Neuronal regulation of lifespan: clues from flies and worms. Mech Ageing Dev. 2001;122:883-94 pubmed
- Bienz Tadmor B, Tolias P, Stebbins Boaz B, Mariani B, Gerbi S, Kafatos F. Chorion gene cis-regulatory DNA restricts tissue specificity of reporter gene expression in transformed Drosophila. Chromosoma. 1992;101:538-48 pubmed..regulatory sequences directing expression of the bacterial reporter genes for chloramphenicol acetyltransferase (CAT) and beta-galactosidase (lacZ)...
- Arking R, Force A, Dudas S, Buck S, Baker G. Factors contributing to the plasticity of the extended longevity phenotypes of Drosophila. Exp Gerontol. 1996;31:623-43 pubmed..It also illustrates that the species has the potential to employ any one of a number of different proximal mechanisms, each of which give rise to a similar longevity phenotype. ..
- Tricoire H, Palandri A, Bourdais A, Camadro J, Monnier V. Methylene blue rescues heart defects in a Drosophila model of Friedreich's ataxia. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:968-79 pubmed publisher..This work provides the grounds for further evaluation of MB action in mammals. ..
- Soh J, Hotic S, Arking R. Dietary restriction in Drosophila is dependent on mitochondrial efficiency and constrained by pre-existing extended longevity. Mech Ageing Dev. 2007;128:581-93 pubmed..Higher density (4-10x) foods yielded a decreased longevity in all strains at the highest level, showing that malnutrition occurs at both low and high caloric levels. ..
- Wheeler J, Bieschke E, Tower J. Muscle-specific expression of Drosophila hsp70 in response to aging and oxidative stress. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10408-12 pubmed..The same muscle-specific hsp70 reporter expression pattern was observed in young flies mutant for catalase (H2O2:H2O2 oxidoreductase, EC 188.8.131.52)...
- Helfand S, Rogina B. Molecular genetics of aging in the fly: is this the end of the beginning?. Bioessays. 2003;25:134-41 pubmed
- Zhao H, Ali S, Haddad G. Does hyperoxia selection cause adaptive alterations of mitochondrial electron transport chain activity leading to a reduction of superoxide production?. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2012;16:1071-6 pubmed publisher..Our observations lead to the hypothesis that decreased complex activity results in a decreased ROS production, which might be a major potential adaptive mechanism of hyperoxia tolerance. ..
- Breckels L, Gatto L, Christoforou A, Groen A, Lilley K, Trotter M. The effect of organelle discovery upon sub-cellular protein localisation. J Proteomics. 2013;88:129-40 pubmed publisher..In the wider context, semi-supervised organelle discovery is discussed as a paradigm with which to generate new protein annotations from MS-based organelle proteomics experiments. ..
- Kim G, Lee Y, Lee G, Cho Y, Lee Y, Jang Y, et al. Overexpression of malic enzyme in the larval stage extends Drosophila lifespan. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;456:676-82 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that metabolic changes mediated by Men during development might be related to the control of ROS tolerance and the longevity of Drosophila. ..
- Vontas J, Tsakas S, Loukas M, Hemingway J. Low-activity allele of copper-zinc superoxide dismutase (CuZnSOD) in Drosophila increases paraquat genotoxicity but does not affect near UV radiation damage. Genome. 2001;44:597-601 pubmed..Our results show that, although the low-activity CuZnSOD allele of D. melanogaster confers hypersensitivity to paraquat, the near UV radiation damage was not affected. ..
- Santaren J, Van Damme J, Puype M, Vandekerckhove J, Garcia Bellido A. Identification of Drosophila wing imaginal disc proteins by two-dimensional gel analysis and microsequencing. Exp Cell Res. 1993;206:220-6 pubmed..As an illustration we present 12 of them: 8 corresponding to proteins already known in Drosophila and the 4 showing homologies with proteins of other organisms. ..
- Wicks S, Bain N, Duttaroy A, Hilliker A, Phillips J. Hypoxia rescues early mortality conferred by superoxide dismutase deficiency. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46:176-81 pubmed publisher..Elucidating these pathways should provide novel insights into how aerobic cells manage oxidative stress in health, aging, and disease. ..
- Fernando Vázquez J, Perez T, Albornoz J, Dominguez A. Estimation of microsatellite mutation rates in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet Res. 2000;76:323-6 pubmed..The average mutation rate was 5.1 x 10(-6), in full agreement with previous estimates from two different sets of mutation accumulation lines. ..
- Luckinbill L, Foley P. Experimental and empirical approaches in the study of aging. Biogerontology. 2000;1:3-13 pubmed..Both approaches have advanced the understanding of the aging process from distinctly different but complementary viewpoints. ..
- Kim M, Ainsley J, Carder J, Johnson W. Hyperoxia-triggered aversion behavior in Drosophila foraging larvae is mediated by sensory detection of hydrogen peroxide. J Neurogenet. 2013;27:151-62 pubmed publisher..Degradation of endogenous H2O2 by transgenic overexpression of catalase in larval epidermis caused a suppression of hyperoxia aversion behavior...
- Calap Quintana P, Soriano S, Llorens J, Al Ramahi I, Botas J, MoltÃ³ M, et al. TORC1 Inhibition by Rapamycin Promotes Antioxidant Defences in a Drosophila Model of Friedreich's Ataxia. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0132376 pubmed publisher..These results point to the TORC1 pathway as a new potential therapeutic target for FRDA and as a guide to finding new promising molecules for disease treatment. ..
- Mockett R, Orr W, Rahmandar J, Benes J, Radyuk S, Klichko V, et al. Overexpression of Mn-containing superoxide dismutase in transgenic Drosophila melanogaster. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999;371:260-9 pubmed..changes in the metabolic rate, level of physical activity, or the levels of other antioxidants, namely Cu-Zn SOD, catalase, and glutathione...
- Park S, Kim Y, Yang D, Yoo M. Transcriptional regulation of the Drosophila catalase gene by the DRE/DREF system. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:1318-24 pubmedReactive oxygen species (ROS) cause oxidative stress and aging. The catalase gene is a key component of the cellular antioxidant defense network...
- Kawata M, Yuri K, Sano Y. Localization and regulation of mRNAs in the nervous tissue as revealed by in situ hybridization. Comp Biochem Physiol C. 1991;98:41-50 pubmed..3. This review will focus on the localization and regulation of different mRNAs in the nervous system from Drosophila to human, as revealed by in situ hybridization histochemistry. ..
- Gao G, Walser J, Beaucher M, Morciano P, Wesolowska N, Chen J, et al. HipHop interacts with HOAP and HP1 to protect Drosophila telomeres in a sequence-independent manner. EMBO J. 2010;29:819-29 pubmed publisher..Our characterization of HipHop and HOAP reveals functional analogies between the Drosophila proteins and subunits of the yeast and mammalian capping complexes, implicating conservation in epigenetic capping mechanisms. ..
- Bosveld F, Rana A, van der Wouden P, Lemstra W, Ritsema M, Kampinga H, et al. De novo CoA biosynthesis is required to maintain DNA integrity during development of the Drosophila nervous system. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:2058-69 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, our findings reveal a major role of this conserved pathway in maintaining DNA and cellular integrity, explaining how impaired CoA synthesis during CNS development can elicit a neurodegenerative phenotype. ..
- Wolkow C. Life span: getting the signal from the nervous system. Trends Neurosci. 2002;25:212-6 pubmed..This review examines the evidence for nervous system control of longevity and discusses the implications for popular models for aging. ..
- Mora M, Bonilla E, Medina Leendertz S, Bravo Y, Arcaya J. Minocycline increases the activity of superoxide dismutase and reduces the concentration of nitric oxide, hydrogen peroxide and mitochondrial malondialdehyde in manganese treated Drosophila melanogaster. Neurochem Res. 2014;39:1270-8 pubmed publisher..We investigated the effect of minocycline in the activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase, and in the concentrations of nitric oxide (NO), hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and mitochondrial malondialdehyde (MDA) ..
- Li S, Zhang Z, Yang C, Lian H, Cai P. Gene expression and reproductive abilities of male Drosophila melanogaster subjected to ELF-EMF exposure. Mutat Res. 2013;758:95-103 pubmed publisher..ELF-EMF exposure may have accelerated cell senescence, as suggested by the down-regulation of both cat and jra genes and the up-regulation of hsp22 gene...
- Nappi A, Vass E, Frey F, Carton Y. Superoxide anion generation in Drosophila during melanotic encapsulation of parasites. Eur J Cell Biol. 1995;68:450-6 pubmed..Both a superoxide dismutase (SOD)-deficient strain (cSODn108, red/TM3/Sb Ser) and a catalase (CAT)-deficient strain (Catn1) also produced melanotic capsules and elevated levels of O2-...
- Terhzaz S, Cabrero P, Brinzer R, Halberg K, Dow J, Davies S. A novel role of Drosophila cytochrome P450-4e3 in permethrin insecticide tolerance. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;67:38-46 pubmed publisher..This work increases our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of insecticide detoxification and provides further evidence of the oxidative stress responses induced by permethrin metabolism. ..
- SantabÃ¡rbara Ruiz P, LÃ³pez SantillÃ¡n M, MartÃnez RodrÃguez I, Binagui Casas A, PÃ©rez L, MilÃ¡n M, et al. ROS-Induced JNK and p38 Signaling Is Required for Unpaired Cytokine Activation during Drosophila Regeneration. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005595 pubmed publisher..This module is not only activated after cell death induction but also after physical damage and reveals one of the earliest responses for imaginal disc regeneration. ..
- Arking R, Burde V, Graves K, Hari R, Feldman E, Zeevi A, et al. Identical longevity phenotypes are characterized by different patterns of gene expression and oxidative damage. Exp Gerontol. 2000;35:353-73 pubmed..The theoretical and empirical implications of these findings are discussed. ..
- Jazwinski S. Genetics of longevity. Exp Gerontol. 1998;33:773-83 pubmed..These population genetic studies can be augmented by mechanistic studies in transgenic mice. ..
- Park J, Kim Y, Kim J, Lee S, Park S, Yamaguchi M, et al. Regulation of the Drosophila p38b gene by transcription factor DREF in the adult midgut. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1799:510-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the D-p38b gene is regulated by the DREF pathway and that DREF is involved in the regulation of proliferation and differentiation of Drosophila ISCs and progenitors. ..
- Å erÃ½ M, FrydrychovÃ¡ R, KrÅ¯Äek T, KorandovÃ¡ M, SzakosovÃ¡ K. Effect of low doses of herbicide paraquat on antioxidant defense in Drosophila. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2015;88:235-48 pubmed publisher..We examined the enzymatic activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase, and the transcript levels of both enzymes. Flies were exposed to a wide range of paraquat concentrations (0...
- Morey M, Corominas M, Serras F. DIAP1 suppresses ROS-induced apoptosis caused by impairment of the selD/sps1 homolog in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4597-604 pubmed..These observations indicate that selDptuf ROS-induced apoptosis in Drosophila is mainly driven by the caspase-dependent Dmp53/Rpr pathway. ..
- Bewley G, Mackay W, Cook J. Temporal variation for the expression of catalase in Drosophila melanogaster: correlations between rates of enzyme synthesis and levels of translatable catalase-messenger RNA. Genetics. 1986;113:919-38 pubmedTwo variants that alter the temporal expression of catalase have been isolated from a set of third chromosome substitution lines. Each variant has been mapped to a cytogenetic interval flanked by the visible markers st (3-44...
- Gao H, Wu X, Simon L, Fossett N. Antioxidants maintain E-cadherin levels to limit Drosophila prohemocyte differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e107768 pubmed publisher..Specifically, we show that knockdown of the antioxidants, Superoxide dismutatase 2 and Catalase reduce E-cadherin protein levels prior to the loss of Odd-skipped-expressing prohemocytes...
- Alaraby M, Demir E, HernÃ¡ndez A, Marcos R. Assessing potential harmful effects of CdSe quantum dots by using Drosophila melanogaster as in vivo model. Sci Total Environ. 2015;530-531:66-75 pubmed publisher..To reduce the observed side-effects of Cd based QDs biocompatible coats would be required to avoid cadmium's undesirable effects. ..
- JovanoviÄ‡ B, CvetkoviÄ‡ V, MitroviÄ‡ T. Effects of human food grade titanium dioxide nanoparticle dietary exposure on Drosophila melanogaster survival, fecundity, pupation and expression of antioxidant genes. Chemosphere. 2016;144:43-9 pubmed publisher..001). Fecundity of D. melanogaster was unaffected by the treatment. Expression of the gene for catalase was markedly downregulated by the treatment, while the effect on the downregulation of superoxide dismutase 2 was ..
- Reitman Z, Sinenko S, Spana E, Yan H. Genetic dissection of leukemia-associated IDH1 and IDH2 mutants and D-2-hydroxyglutarate in Drosophila. Blood. 2015;125:336-45 pubmed publisher..These results provide a flexible model system to interrogate a cancer-related genetic and metabolic pathway and offer insights into the impact of IDH mutation and D-2HG on metazoan tissues. ..
- Chen K, Lin G, Haelterman N, Ho T, Li T, Li Z, et al. Loss of Frataxin induces iron toxicity, sphingolipid synthesis, and Pdk1/Mef2 activation, leading to neurodegeneration. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that an iron/sphingolipid/Pdk1/Mef2 pathway may play a role in FRDA. ..
- Vincent A, Briggs L, Chatwin G, Emery E, Tomlins R, Oswald M, et al. parkin-induced defects in neurophysiology and locomotion are generated by metabolic dysfunction and not oxidative stress. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1760-9 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that mitochondrial dysfunction in parkin mutants induces Parkinsonian bradykinesia via a neuronal energy deficit and resulting synaptic failure, rather than as a consequence of downstream oxidative stress. ..
- Gaivão I, Comendador M. The w/w+ somatic mutation and recombination test (SMART) of Drosophila melanogaster for detecting reactive oxygen species: characterization of 6 strains. Mutat Res. 1996;360:145-51 pubmed..Secondly, 3 biochemical traits were determined for the 6 strains: superoxide dismutase and catalase activities, and their capacity to induce reactive oxygen species...
- Radyuk S, Rebrin I, Klichko V, Sohal B, Michalak K, Benes J, et al. Mitochondrial peroxiredoxins are critical for the maintenance of redox state and the survival of adult Drosophila. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;49:1892-902 pubmed publisher..peroxiredoxins was partially offset by overexpression of thioredoxin reductase but not mitochondrion-targeted catalase. These results suggest that mitochondrial peroxiredoxins confer specific protection for thioredoxin/glutathione ..
- Mockett R, Bayne A, Kwong L, Orr W, Sohal R. Ectopic expression of catalase in Drosophila mitochondria increases stress resistance but not longevity. Free Radic Biol Med. 2003;34:207-17 pubmed..b>Catalase, an antioxidative enzyme expressed in the cytosol and peroxisomes of Drosophila, was targetted ectopically to the ..
- Lushchak O, Rovenko B, Gospodaryov D, Lushchak V. Drosophila melanogaster larvae fed by glucose and fructose demonstrate difference in oxidative stress markers and antioxidant enzymes of adult flies. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2011;160:27-34 pubmed publisher..In fly males, 10% fructose promoted higher content of protein carbonyls and catalase activity, but lower superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity than 4%, while in females-lower levels of high molecular ..
- Na H, Park J, Pyo J, Lee S, Jeon H, Kim Y, et al. Mechanism of metformin: inhibition of DNA damage and proliferative activity in Drosophila midgut stem cell. Mech Ageing Dev. 2013;134:381-90 pubmed publisher..Additionally, our study suggests that Drosophila midgut stem cells can be a suitable model system for studying stem cell biology and stem cell aging. ..
- Besson M, Dupont P, Fridell Y, Liévens J. Increased energy metabolism rescues glia-induced pathology in a Drosophila model of Huntington's disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:3372-82 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data emphasize the importance of energy metabolism in the glial alterations in HD and may lead to a new therapeutic avenue. ..
- Missirlis F, Rahlfs S, Dimopoulos N, Bauer H, Becker K, Hilliker A, et al. A putative glutathione peroxidase of Drosophila encodes a thioredoxin peroxidase that provides resistance against oxidative stress but fails to complement a lack of catalase activity. Biol Chem. 2003;384:463-72 pubmed..gene increases resistance to experimentally induced oxidative stress, but does not compensate for the loss of catalase, an enzyme which, like GTPx-1, functions to eliminate hydrogen peroxide...
- Bayne A, Mockett R, Orr W, Sohal R. Enhanced catabolism of mitochondrial superoxide/hydrogen peroxide and aging in transgenic Drosophila. Biochem J. 2005;391:277-84 pubmed..and extend the lifespan was tested by simultaneous overexpression of MnSOD (manganese superoxide dismutase) and catalase, ectopically targeted to the mitochondrial matrix of transgenic Drosophila melanogaster...
- Dragojlovic Munther M, Martinez Agosto J. Multifaceted roles of PTEN and TSC orchestrate growth and differentiation of Drosophila blood progenitors. Development. 2012;139:3752-63 pubmed
- Sanz A, Fernandez Ayala D, Stefanatos R, Jacobs H. Mitochondrial ROS production correlates with, but does not directly regulate lifespan in Drosophila. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:200-23 pubmed..In summary, these results do not systematically support the predictions of the MFRTA. Accordingly, MFRTA should be revised to accommodate these findings. ..
- Abolaji A, Kamdem J, Lugokenski T, Farombi E, Souza D, da Silva Loreto Ã, et al. Ovotoxicants 4-vinylcyclohexene 1,2-monoepoxide and 4-vinylcyclohexene diepoxide disrupt redox status and modify different electrophile sensitive target enzymes and genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Redox Biol. 2015;5:328-39 pubmed publisher..cap-n-collar (CNC) homology (ECH)-associated protein 1 (Keap-1), mitogen activated protein kinase 2 (MAPK-2), catalase, Cyp18a1, JAFRAC 1 (thioredoxin peroxidase 1) and thioredoxin reductase 1 (TrxR-1) (p<0.05)...
- Haddadi M, Jahromi S, Shivanandappa T, Ramesh S. Decalepis hamiltonii root extract attenuates the age-related decline in the cognitive function in Drosophila melanogaster. Behav Brain Res. 2013;249:8-14 pubmed publisher..is associated with enhanced antioxidant defenses as evident for the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase. Our findings, for the first time, show that the antioxidant-rich Dh root extract attenuates the age-related ..
- Sun J, Folk D, Bradley T, Tower J. Induced overexpression of mitochondrial Mn-superoxide dismutase extends the life span of adult Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2002;161:661-72 pubmed..Simultaneous overexpression of catalase with MnSOD had no added benefit, consistent with previous observations that catalase is present in excess in the ..
- Morey M, Serras F, Baguna J, Hafen E, Corominas M. Modulation of the Ras/MAPK signalling pathway by the redox function of selenoproteins in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2001;238:145-56 pubmed..This is further supported by the fact that a selenoprotein-independent increase in ROS caused by the catalase amorphic Cat(n1) allele also reduces Ras/MAPK signalling...
- Wallace D, Melov S. Radicals r'aging. Nat Genet. 1998;19:105-6 pubmed
- Liu T, Li L, Zhang F, Wang Y. Transcriptional inhibition of the Catalase gene in phosphine-induced oxidative stress in Drosophila melanogaster. Pestic Biochem Physiol. 2015;124:1-7 pubmed publisher..this study, we evaluated the responses of several oxidative biomarkers and two of the main antioxidant enzymes, catalase (CAT) and superoxide dismutase (SOD), after fumigation treatment with PH3 in Drosophila melanogaster as a model ..
- Pinho A, Wallau G, Nunes M, Leite N, Tintino S, da Cruz L, et al. Fumigant activity of the Psidium guajava var. pomifera (Myrtaceae) essential oil in Drosophila melanogaster by means of oxidative stress. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2014;2014:696785 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it suggested a bioinsecticidal activity for P. guajava volatile compounds by means of oxidative stress. Further studies are ongoing to identify which oil compounds are responsible for such effect. ..
- Na H, Park J, Pyo J, Jeon H, Kim Y, Arking R, et al. Metformin inhibits age-related centrosome amplification in Drosophila midgut stem cells through AKT/TOR pathway. Mech Ageing Dev. 2015;149:8-18 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Drosophila ISCs may be an excellent model system for in vivo studies evaluating the effects of anti-cancer drugs on tissue-resident stem cell aging. ..
- Burnell A, Reaper C, Doherty J. The effect of acclimation temperature on enzyme activity in Drosophila melanogaster. Comp Biochem Physiol B. 1991;98:609-14 pubmed..5. In contrast to the situation in vertebrate ectotherms, catalase and the three lysosomal enzymes assayed (APH, acid DNase and acid RNase) displayed positive rather than inverse ..
- Fleming J, Reveillaud I, Niedzwiecki A. Role of oxidative stress in Drosophila aging. Mutat Res. 1992;275:267-79 pubmed..Collectively, results from our laboratory demonstrate that oxidative damage plays a role in governing the lifespan of Drosophila during normal metabolism and under conditions of environmental stress. ..
- Abolaji A, Kamdem J, Lugokenski T, Nascimento T, Waczuk E, Farombi E, et al. Involvement of oxidative stress in 4-vinylcyclohexene-induced toxicity in Drosophila melanogaster. Free Radic Biol Med. 2014;71:99-108 pubmed publisher..expressions of selected oxidative stress and antioxidant mRNA genes (HSP27, 70, and 83, SOD, Nrf-2, MAPK2, and catalase)...
- Xie T, Ding D. Investigating 42 candidate orthologous protein groups by molecular evolutionary analysis on genome scale. Gene. 2000;261:305-10 pubmed..The result could imply that the classical one-to-one orthology might be not as common as typically accepted and automated similarity-based methods should be used with caution when accurate orthology/paralogy discrimination is required. ..
- Lozinsky O, Lushchak O, Kryshchuk N, Shchypanska N, Riabkina A, Skarbek S, et al. S-nitrosoglutathione-induced toxicity in Drosophila melanogaster: Delayed pupation and induced mild oxidative/nitrosative stress in eclosed flies. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2013;164:162-70 pubmed publisher..Larval exposure to GSNO resulted in lower activities of aconitase in both sexes and also lower activities of catalase and isocitrate dehydrogenase in adult males relative to the control cohort...