Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: can
Alias: CG6577, Can, Dmel\CG6577, TAF5L, Taf5L, WSB-1, dTAF5L, dTAF[[II]]80, dmTAF5b, cannonball, CG6577-PA, can-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Chen X, Hiller M, Sancak Y, Fuller M. Tissue-specific TAFs counteract Polycomb to turn on terminal differentiation. Science. 2005;310:869-72 pubmed..Testis TAFs also promoted relocalization of Polycomb Repression Complex 1 components to the nucleolus in spermatocytes, implicating subnuclear architecture in the regulation of terminal differentiation. ..
- Wang Z, Mann R. Requirement for two nearly identical TGIF-related homeobox genes in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Development. 2003;130:2853-65 pubmed
- Tora L. A unified nomenclature for TATA box binding protein (TBP)-associated factors (TAFs) involved in RNA polymerase II transcription. Genes Dev. 2002;16:673-5 pubmed
- Leser K, Awe S, Barckmann B, Renkawitz Pohl R, Rathke C. The bromodomain-containing protein tBRD-1 is specifically expressed in spermatocytes and is essential for male fertility. Biol Open. 2012;1:597-606 pubmed publisher..By inhibitor treatment of cultured testis we observed that sub-cellular localisation of tBRD-1 may depend on the acetylation status of primary spermatocytes. ..
- Lu C, Kim J, Fuller M. The polyubiquitin gene Ubi-p63E is essential for male meiotic cell cycle progression and germ cell differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:3522-31 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a conserved role of polyubiquitin genes in male meiosis and a potential mechanism leading to meiosis I maturation arrest. ..
- Chen X, Lu C, Morillo Prado J, Eun S, Fuller M. Sequential changes at differentiation gene promoters as they become active in a stem cell lineage. Development. 2011;138:2441-50 pubmed publisher..Together, the action of the tMAC and tTAF cell type-specific chromatin and transcription machinery leads to loss of Polycomb and release of stalled Pol II from the terminal differentiation gene promoters, allowing robust transcription. ..
- Metcalf C, Wassarman D. Nucleolar colocalization of TAF1 and testis-specific TAFs during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2836-43 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest stepwise assembly of a testis-specific TFIID complex (tTFIID) whereby a TAF1 isoform, presumably TAF1-2, is recruited to a core subassembly of tTAFs in spermatocyte nucleoli. ..
- Barckmann B, Chen X, Kaiser S, Jayaramaiah Raja S, Rathke C, Dottermusch Heidel C, et al. Three levels of regulation lead to protamine and Mst77F expression in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;377:33-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, the proper spatiotemporal expression pattern of major sperm chromatin components depends on cell-type-specific mechanisms of transcriptional and translational control. ..
- White Cooper H, Schafer M, Alphey L, Fuller M. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional control mechanisms coordinate the onset of spermatid differentiation with meiosis I in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:125-34 pubmedThe aly, can, mia and sa genes of Drosophila are essential in males both for the G2-meiosis I transition and for onset of spermatid differentiation...
- Hwa J, Zhu A, Hiller M, Kon C, Fuller M, Santel A. Germ-line specific variants of components of the mitochondrial outer membrane import machinery in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2004;572:141-6 pubmed..Transcription of tomboy20 and tomboy40 in spermatocytes was not dependent on the transcription factor Cannonball, which is responsible for controlling expression of gene products exclusively required for post-meiotic germ ..
- Guelman S, Suganuma T, Florens L, Weake V, Swanson S, Washburn M, et al. The essential gene wda encodes a WD40 repeat subunit of Drosophila SAGA required for histone H3 acetylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7178-89 pubmed..Our results point to a critical function of dSAGA and histone acetylation during Drosophila development. ..
- Yu J, Garfinkel A, Wolfner M. Interaction of the essential Drosophila nuclear protein YA with P0/AP3 in the cytoplasm and in vitro: implications for developmental regulation of YA's subcellular location. Dev Biol. 2002;244:429-41 pubmed..YA protein can be phosphorylated by MAPK, but not by p34(Cdc2) kinase, in vitro. This phosphorylation increases YA's binding to P0...
- Albright S, Tjian R. TAFs revisited: more data reveal new twists and confirm old ideas. Gene. 2000;242:1-13 pubmed..which recognizes the core promoter and supplies a scaffolding upon which the rest of the transcriptional machinery can assemble...
- Levine M, Tjian R. Transcription regulation and animal diversity. Nature. 2003;424:147-51 pubmed..How, then, has evolutionary diversity arisen? Emerging evidence suggests that organismal complexity arises from progressively more elaborate regulation of gene expression. ..
- Hochheimer A, Tjian R. Diversified transcription initiation complexes expand promoter selectivity and tissue-specific gene expression. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1309-20 pubmed
- Theofel I, Bartkuhn M, Hundertmark T, Boettger T, GÃ¤rtner S, Leser K, et al. tBRD-1 selectively controls gene activity in the Drosophila testis and interacts with two new members of the bromodomain and extra-terminal (BET) family. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e108267 pubmed publisher..Gene activation is tightly linked to histone acetylation on lysine residues that can be recognized by bromodomains...
- Zhao J, Klyne G, Benson E, Gudmannsdottir E, White Cooper H, Shotton D. FlyTED: the Drosophila Testis Gene Expression Database. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:D710-5 pubmed publisher..org/software/), and provides both web-based search and browse interfaces, and programmatic access via an SQL dump, OAI-PMH and SPARQL. FlyTED is available at http://www.fly-ted.org/. ..
- Nucifora F, Nucifora L, Ng C, Arbez N, Guo Y, Roby E, et al. Ubiqutination via K27 and K29 chains signals aggregation and neuronal protection of LRRK2 by WSB1. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11792 pubmed publisher..Finally, our study identifies a novel therapeutic target for PD. ..
- Di Cara F, Cavaliere D, Galliero V, Polito L, Digilio F. Expressional and functional analysis of the male-specific cluster mst36F during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Insect Mol Biol. 2010;19:807-13 pubmed publisher..triggered by different cis regulatory elements, responds to the same testisspecific factors encoded by the aly and can class meiotic arrest genes. RNA interference was used to decrease expression of these two genes...
- Xu S, Hafer N, Agunwamba B, Schedl P. The CPEB protein Orb2 has multiple functions during spermatogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003079 pubmed publisherCytoplasmic Polyadenylation Element Binding (CPEB) proteins are translational regulators that can either activate or repress translation depending on the target mRNA and the specific biological context...
- Verrijzer C. Transcription factor IID--not so basal after all. Science. 2001;293:2010-1 pubmed
- Cann M, Chung E, Levin L. A new family of adenylyl cyclase genes in the male germline of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 2000;210:200-6 pubmed..Expression from this locus is under the control of the always early, cannonball, meiosis arrest, and spermatocyte arrest genes that are required for the G2/M transition of meiosis I during ..
- Trost M, Blattner A, Léo S, Lehner C. Drosophila dany is essential for transcriptional control and nuclear architecture in spermatocytes. Development. 2016;143:2664-76 pubmed publisher..Therefore, as suggested recently for Dan/Danr, we propose that Dany is essential for the coordination of change in cell type-specific expression programs and large-scale spatial chromatin reorganization. ..
- Matsushita T, Fujii Taira I, Tanaka Y, Homma K, Natori S. Male-specific IDGF, a novel gene encoding a membrane-bound extracellular signaling molecule expressed exclusively in testis of Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:36934-41 pubmed..Analysis using four meiotic arrest mutants, aly, can, mia, and sa suggested that MSI is involved in spermiogenesis, the final differentiation step of spermatogenesis...
- Katzenberger R, Rach E, Anderson A, Ohler U, Wassarman D. The Drosophila Translational Control Element (TCE) is required for high-level transcription of many genes that are specifically expressed in testes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45009 pubmed publisher..These findings set the stage for determining the mechanism by which the TCE regulates testis-specific transcription and understanding the dual role of the TCE in translational and transcriptional regulation. ..
- Hwa J, Hiller M, Fuller M, Santel A. Differential expression of the Drosophila mitofusin genes fuzzy onions (fzo) and dmfn. Mech Dev. 2002;116:213-6 pubmed..In addition, expression of dmfn and fzo in the same cell type, primary spermatocytes, was under control of different regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Arya G, Lodico M, Ahmad O, Amin R, Tomkiel J. Molecular characterization of teflon, a gene required for meiotic autosome segregation in male Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2006;174:125-34 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these findings, we propose a role for Tef as a bridging molecule that holds autosome bivalents together via heterochromatic connections...