Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: CadN
Alias: CG7100, CT21941, Cad-N, D-cad, DN-CAD, DN-CAd, DN-Cad, DN-cad, DNCad, DNcad, Dmel\CG7100, N-Cad, N-Cadh, N-cad, N-cadherin, NCAD, NCad, Ncad, S(DmcycE[JP])2.12, anon-EST:CL32, cad1, cadN, l(2)36Da, l(2)Bld, n-cad, ncad, Cadherin-N, CG7100-PA, CG7100-PB, CG7100-PC, CG7100-PD, CG7100-PE, CG7100-PF, CG7100-PG, CG7100-PH, CG7100-PI, CG7100-PJ, CG7100-PK, CG7100-PL, CadN-PA, CadN-PB, CadN-PC, CadN-PD, CadN-PE, CadN-PF, CadN-PG, CadN-PH, CadN-PI, CadN-PJ, CadN-PK, CadN-PL, CadherinN, DN cadherin, DN-cadherin, DN-cadherin1, NCadherin, drosophila neuronal cadherin, lethal(2)36Da, n-cadherin
Species: fruit fly
- Yonekura S, Xu L, Ting C, Lee C. Adhesive but not signaling activity of Drosophila N-cadherin is essential for target selection of photoreceptor afferents. Dev Biol. 2007;304:759-70 pubmedDrosophila N-cadherin (CadN) is an evolutionarily conserved, atypical classical cadherin, which has a large complex extracellular domain and a catenin-binding cytoplasmic domain...
- Hsu S, Yonekura S, Ting C, Robertson H, Iwai Y, Uemura T, et al. Conserved alternative splicing and expression patterns of arthropod N-cadherin. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000441 pubmed publisher..Ectopic muscle expression of either isoform beyond the time it normally ceases leads to paralysis and lethality. Together, our results offer an example of well-conserved alternative splicing increasing cellular diversity in metazoans...
- Iwai Y, Hirota Y, Ozaki K, Okano H, Takeichi M, Uemura T. DN-cadherin is required for spatial arrangement of nerve terminals and ultrastructural organization of synapses. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2002;19:375-88 pubmed..These results suggest that the cadherin adhesion system is required for interaction between pre- and postsynaptic terminals and for generation of the mature synaptic structures. ..
- Iwai Y, Usui T, Hirano S, Steward R, Takeichi M, Uemura T. Axon patterning requires DN-cadherin, a novel neuronal adhesion receptor, in the Drosophila embryonic CNS. Neuron. 1997;19:77-89 pubmed..These results suggest that processes of axon patterning critically depend on DN-cadherin-mediated axon-axon interactions...
- Zhu H, Luo L. Diverse functions of N-cadherin in dendritic and axonal terminal arborization of olfactory projection neurons. Neuron. 2004;42:63-75 pubmed..Although the N-cadherin locus potentially encodes eight alternatively spliced isoforms, transgenic expression of one isoform is sufficient to rescue all phenotypes. ..
- Larsen C, Shy D, Spindler S, Fung S, Pereanu W, Younossi Hartenstein A, et al. Patterns of growth, axonal extension and axonal arborization of neuronal lineages in the developing Drosophila brain. Dev Biol. 2009;335:289-304 pubmed publisher..Arbors of secondary neurons form within or adjacent to the larval compartments, resulting in smaller compartment subdivisions and additional, adult specific compartments. ..
- Nern A, Nguyen L, Herman T, Prakash S, Clandinin T, Zipursky S. An isoform-specific allele of Drosophila N-cadherin disrupts a late step of R7 targeting. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:12944-9 pubmed..Transgene rescue experiments suggest that differences in isoform expression, rather than biochemical differences between isoforms, underlie the 18A isoform requirement in R7 neurons. ..
- Lecuit T, Le Goff L. Orchestrating size and shape during morphogenesis. Nature. 2007;450:189-92 pubmed..New models integrate how specific signals and mechanical forces shape tissues and may also control their size. ..
- Oda H, Tsukita S. Nonchordate classic cadherins have a structurally and functionally unique domain that is absent from chordate classic cadherins. Dev Biol. 1999;216:406-22 pubmed..We propose that there is a fundamental difference in the mode of classic cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion between chordate and nonchordate metazoans. ..
- Tayler T, Garrity P. Axon targeting in the Drosophila visual system. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2003;13:90-5 pubmed..A role for the visual system glia in orienting photoreceptor axon outgrowth and target selection has also been uncovered. ..
- Potter C, Tasic B, Russler E, Liang L, Luo L. The Q system: a repressible binary system for transgene expression, lineage tracing, and mosaic analysis. Cell. 2010;141:536-48 pubmed publisher..The Q system can be expanded to other uses in Drosophila and to any organism conducive to transgenesis...
- Oda H, Tagawa K, Akiyama Oda Y. Diversification of epithelial adherens junctions with independent reductive changes in cadherin form: identification of potential molecular synapomorphies among bilaterians. Evol Dev. 2005;7:376-89 pubmed
- Tanentzapf G, Devenport D, Godt D, Brown N. Integrin-dependent anchoring of a stem-cell niche. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:1413-8 pubmed..On the basis of our data, we propose that integrins are required for the attachment of the hub cells to the ECM, which is essential for maintaining the stem-cell niche. ..
- Ting C, Yonekura S, Chung P, Hsu S, Robertson H, Chiba A, et al. Drosophila N-cadherin functions in the first stage of the two-stage layer-selection process of R7 photoreceptor afferents. Development. 2005;132:953-63 pubmed..N-cadherin is required in the first stage for R7 growth cones to reach and remain in the R7-temporary layer. The Ncad gene contains three pairs of alternatively spliced exons and encodes 12 isoforms...
- Hong W, Mosca T, Luo L. Teneurins instruct synaptic partner matching in an olfactory map. Nature. 2012;484:201-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that Teneurins instruct matching specificity between synaptic partners through homophilic attraction. ..
- Mehta S, Hiesinger P, Beronja S, Zhai R, Schulze K, Verstreken P, et al. Mutations in Drosophila sec15 reveal a function in neuronal targeting for a subset of exocyst components. Neuron. 2005;46:219-32 pubmed..The data also show that functions of other exocyst components persist in the absence of sec15, suggesting that different exocyst components have separable functions. ..
- Hong W, Zhu H, Potter C, Barsh G, Kurusu M, Zinn K, et al. Leucine-rich repeat transmembrane proteins instruct discrete dendrite targeting in an olfactory map. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1542-50 pubmed publisher..The closely related protein Tartan was partially redundant with Caps. These LRR proteins are probably part of a combinatorial cell-surface code that instructs discrete olfactory map formation. ..
- Jefferis G, Vyas R, Berdnik D, Ramaekers A, Stocker R, Tanaka N, et al. Developmental origin of wiring specificity in the olfactory system of Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:117-30 pubmed..We propose instead that this prototypic map might originate from both patterning information external to the developing antennal lobe and interactions among PN dendrites. ..
- Hayashi T, Carthew R. Surface mechanics mediate pattern formation in the developing retina. Nature. 2004;431:647-52 pubmed..Thus, simple patterned expression of N-cadherin results in a complex spatial pattern of cells owing to cellular surface mechanics. ..
- Berdnik D, Fan A, Potter C, Luo L. MicroRNA processing pathway regulates olfactory neuron morphogenesis. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1754-9 pubmed publisher..However, Argonaute-1 and Argonaute-2 are dispensable for PN morphogenesis. Our findings suggest a role for the miRNA processing pathway in establishing wiring specificity in the nervous system. ..
- Käfer J, Hayashi T, Marée A, Carthew R, Graner F. Cell adhesion and cortex contractility determine cell patterning in the Drosophila retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:18549-54 pubmed..Furthermore, by changing only the corresponding parameters, this model can describe the mutants with different numbers of cells or changes in cadherin expression. ..
- Kurshan P, Oztan A, Schwarz T. Presynaptic alpha2delta-3 is required for synaptic morphogenesis independent of its Ca2+-channel functions. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1415-23 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that alpha(2)delta proteins have functions that are independent of their roles in the biophysics and localization of Ca(2+) channels and that synaptic architecture depends on these functions. ..
- Mirkovic I, Mlodzik M. Cooperative activities of drosophila DE-cadherin and DN-cadherin regulate the cell motility process of ommatidial rotation. Development. 2006;133:3283-93 pubmed..A similar input into mammalian E- and N-cadherins might function in the progression of diseases such as metastatic ovarian cancer. ..
- Yonekura S, Ting C, Neves G, Hung K, Hsu S, Chiba A, et al. The variable transmembrane domain of Drosophila N-cadherin regulates adhesive activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6598-608 pubmedDrosophila N-cadherin (CadN) is an evolutionarily conserved classic cadherin which has a large, complex extracellular domain and a catenin-binding cytoplasmic domain...
- Tepass U, Truong K, Godt D, Ikura M, Peifer M. Cadherins in embryonic and neural morphogenesis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2000;1:91-100 pubmed..Cadherins may also contribute to neurite outgrowth and pathfinding, and to synaptic specificity and modulation in the central nervous system. ..
- Young J, Armstrong J. Building the central complex in Drosophila: the generation and development of distinct neural subsets. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1525-41 pubmed publisher..We also identified a novel set of pontine neurons that connect contralateral segments in the fan-shaped body. ..
- Prakash S, Caldwell J, Eberl D, Clandinin T. Drosophila N-cadherin mediates an attractive interaction between photoreceptor axons and their targets. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:443-50 pubmed..We propose that N-cadherin mediates a homophilic, attractive interaction between photoreceptor growth cones and their targets that precedes synaptic partner choice. ..
- Gupta T, Giangrande A. Collective cell migration: "all for one and one for all". J Neurogenet. 2014;28:190-8 pubmed publisher..This review impinges upon the cellular and molecular interactions underlying collective cell migration in animal models, and highlights the recent advances made through in vivo analyses of the Drosophila wing glia. ..
- Choe K, Prakash S, Bright A, Clandinin T. Liprin-alpha is required for photoreceptor target selection in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11601-6 pubmed..We propose that the adhesive mechanisms that link pre- and postsynaptic cells before synapse formation may be differentially regulated in these two compartments. ..
- Gemp I, Carthew R, Hilgenfeldt S. Cadherin-dependent cell morphology in an epithelium: constructing a quantitative dynamical model. PLoS Comput Biol. 2011;7:e1002115 pubmed publisher..The simulations also indicate that N-cadherin protein is recycled from inactive interfaces to active interfaces, thereby modulating adhesion strengths between cells. ..
- Muñoz Soriano V, Belacortu Y, Paricio N. Planar cell polarity signaling in collective cell movements during morphogenesis and disease. Curr Genomics. 2012;13:609-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, new discoveries about the contribution of this pathway to collective cell movements could provide new potential diagnostic and therapeutic targets for these disorders. ..
- Spindler S, Ortiz I, Fung S, Takashima S, Hartenstein V. Drosophila cortex and neuropile glia influence secondary axon tract growth, pathfinding, and fasciculation in the developing larval brain. Dev Biol. 2009;334:355-68 pubmed publisher..Our study provides, for the first time, an analysis of glial function in the brain during axon formation and growth in larval development. ..
- Mencarelli C, Pichaud F. Orthodenticle Is Required for the Expression of Principal Recognition Molecules That Control Axon Targeting in the Drosophila Retina. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005303 pubmed publisher..Our work therefore demonstrates that otd is a main component of the gene regulatory network that regulates synaptic-column and layer targeting in the fly visual system. ..
- Koper A, Schenck A, Prokop A. Analysis of adhesion molecules and basement membrane contributions to synaptic adhesion at the Drosophila embryonic NMJ. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36339 pubmed publisher..Therefore, future developmental studies of these synaptic junctions in Drosophila need to consider the important contribution made by BM-dependent mechanisms, in addition to CAM-dependent adhesion. ..
- Chen W, Shih H, Liu K, Liu K, Shih Z, Chen L, et al. Intellectual disability-associated dBRWD3 regulates gene expression through inhibition of HIRA/YEM-mediated chromatin deposition of histone H3.3. EMBO Rep. 2015;16:528-38 pubmed publisher..Our work thus establishes a previously unknown negative regulation of H3.3 and advances our understanding of BRWD3-dependent intellectual disability. ..
- Sch fer G, Narasimha M, Vogelsang E, Leptin M. Cadherin switching during the formation and differentiation of the Drosophila mesoderm - implications for epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitions. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:1511-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the downregulation of E-cadherin in the mesoderm might be required to facilitate optimal levels of Wingless signalling...
- Cai D, Chen S, Prasad M, He L, Wang X, Choesmel Cadamuro V, et al. Mechanical feedback through E-cadherin promotes direction sensing during collective cell migration. Cell. 2014;157:1146-59 pubmed publisher..Adhesion between motile cells and polar cells holds the cluster together and polarizes each individual cell. Thus, E-cadherin is an integral component of the guidance mechanisms that orchestrate collective chemotaxis in vivo. ..
- Schwabe T, Borycz J, Meinertzhagen I, Clandinin T. Differential adhesion determines the organization of synaptic fascicles in the Drosophila visual system. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1304-1313 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a general model by which differential adhesion can be utilized to determine the relative positions of axons and dendrites to establish optimal wiring. ..
- Younossi Hartenstein A, Salvaterra P, Hartenstein V. Early development of the Drosophila brain: IV. Larval neuropile compartments defined by glial septa. J Comp Neurol. 2003;455:435-50 pubmed..Neuropile compartments, representing easily identifiable landmark structures, will assist in future analyses of Drosophila brain development in which the exact location of neurons and their axonal trajectories is of importance. ..
- Jin X, Walker M, Felsovalyi K, Vendome J, Bahna F, Mannepalli S, et al. Crystal structures of Drosophila N-cadherin ectodomain regions reveal a widely used class of Ca²+-free interdomain linkers. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E127-34 pubmed publisher..Sequence analysis reveals that similar Ca(2+)-free linkers are widely distributed in the ectodomains of both vertebrate and invertebrate cadherins. ..
- Choo S, White R, Russell S. Genome-wide analysis of the binding of the Hox protein Ultrabithorax and the Hox cofactor Homothorax in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14778 pubmed publisher..Overall, we define a set of direct Ubx targets in the haltere imaginal disc and suggest that chromatin accessibility has important implications for Hox target selection and for transcription factor binding in general. ..
- Read R, Bach E, Cagan R. Drosophila C-terminal Src kinase negatively regulates organ growth and cell proliferation through inhibition of the Src, Jun N-terminal kinase, and STAT pathways. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:6676-89 pubmed..In particular, blockade of STAT function in dCsk mutants severely reduced Src-dependent overgrowth and activated apoptosis of mutant tissue. Our data provide in vivo evidence that Src activity requires JNK and STAT function. ..
- Chou Y, Spletter M, Yaksi E, Leong J, Wilson R, Luo L. Diversity and wiring variability of olfactory local interneurons in the Drosophila antennal lobe. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:439-49 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an unexpected degree of complexity and individual variation in an invertebrate neural circuit, a result that creates challenges for solving the Drosophila connectome. ..
- Bao S. Notch controls cell adhesion in the Drosophila eye. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004087 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that cone cells utilize Notch signaling to instruct neighboring PPC precursors to surround them and Notch controls the remodeling process by differentially regulating four adhesion genes. ..
- Cardona A, Larsen C, Hartenstein V. Neuronal fiber tracts connecting the brain and ventral nerve cord of the early Drosophila larva. J Comp Neurol. 2009;515:427-40 pubmed publisher..This work provides a structural framework for functional and genetic studies addressing the control of Drosophila larval behavior by brain circuits. ..
- Pecot M, Tadros W, Nern A, Bader M, Chen Y, Zipursky S. Multiple interactions control synaptic layer specificity in the Drosophila visual system. Neuron. 2013;77:299-310 pubmed publisher..the growth cones of other neurons destined for a different layer through the redundant functions of N-Cadherin (CadN) and Semaphorin-1a (Sema-1a)...
- Anders J, Kjar S, Ibanez C. Molecular modeling of the extracellular domain of the RET receptor tyrosine kinase reveals multiple cadherin-like domains and a calcium-binding site. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:35808-17 pubmed..The models of the cadherin-like domains of human RET represent valuable tools with which to guide future site-directed mutagenesis studies aimed at identifying residues involved in ligand binding and receptor activation. ..
- Tanentzapf G, Smith C, McGlade J, Tepass U. Apical, lateral, and basal polarization cues contribute to the development of the follicular epithelium during Drosophila oogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:891-904 pubmed..Together with previous data showing that Crb is required for the formation of a zonula adherens, these findings indicate a mutual dependency of apical and lateral polarization mechanisms. ..
- Morillo Prado J, Chen X, Fuller M. Polycomb group genes Psc and Su(z)2 maintain somatic stem cell identity and activity in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52892 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that tumorigenesis in the CySC lineage interferes non-cell autonomously with maintenance of GSCs most likely by displacing them from their niche. ..
- Ã–zel M, Langen M, Hassan B, Hiesinger P. Filopodial dynamics and growth cone stabilization in Drosophila visual circuit development. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Hence, growth cone dynamics can influence wiring specificity without a direct role in target recognition and implement simple rules during circuit assembly. ..
- Seppa M, Johnson R, Bao S, Cagan R. Polychaetoid controls patterning by modulating adhesion in the Drosophila pupal retina. Dev Biol. 2008;318:1-16 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Pyd modulates adherens junction strength and Roughest-mediated preferential cell adhesion. ..
- Larsen C, Franch Marro X, Hartenstein V, Alexandre C, Vincent J. An efficient promoter trap for detection of patterned gene expression and subsequent functional analysis in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17813-7 pubmed..Using this promoter trap approach, we have identified a group of cells that innervate the calyx of the mushroom body and could thus define a previously unrecognized memory circuit. ..
- Chihara T, Kato K, Taniguchi M, Ng J, Hayashi S. Rac promotes epithelial cell rearrangement during tracheal tubulogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:1419-28 pubmed..Together with its role in cell motility, Rac regulates plasticity of cell adhesion and thus ensures smooth remodeling of epithelial sheets into tubules. ..
- Melani M, Simpson K, Brugge J, Montell D. Regulation of cell adhesion and collective cell migration by hindsight and its human homolog RREB1. Curr Biol. 2008;18:532-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that HNT and RREB1 are essential to reduce cell-cell adhesion when epithelial cells within an interconnected group undergo dynamic changes in cell shape. ..
- Wong D, Lovick J, Ngo K, Borisuthirattana W, Omoto J, Hartenstein V. Postembryonic lineages of the Drosophila brain: II. Identification of lineage projection patterns based on MARCM clones. Dev Biol. 2013;384:258-89 pubmed publisher..It also represents a step towards the goal to establish, for each lineage, the link between its mature anatomical and functional phenotype, and the genetic make-up of the neuroblast it descends from. ..
- Biemar F, Nix D, Piel J, Peterson B, Ronshaugen M, Sementchenko V, et al. Comprehensive identification of Drosophila dorsal-ventral patterning genes using a whole-genome tiling array. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:12763-8 pubmed..We discuss the potential functions of these recently identified genes and suggest that intronic enhancers are a common feature of the DV gene network. ..
- Agi E, Langen M, Altschuler S, Wu L, Zimmermann T, Hiesinger P. The evolution and development of neural superposition. J Neurogenet. 2014;28:216-32 pubmed publisher..Our goal is to identify in what way the special case of neural superposition can help us answer more general questions about the evolution and development of genetically "hard-wired" synaptic connectivity in the brain. ..
- Dottermusch Heidel C, Groth V, Beck L, Onel S. The Arf-GEF Schizo/Loner regulates N-cadherin to induce fusion competence of Drosophila myoblasts. Dev Biol. 2012;368:18-27 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings, we propose a model where N-cadherin must be removed from the myoblast membrane to induce a protein-free zone at the cell-cell contact point to permit fusion. ..
- Axelrod J. Cell shape in proliferating epithelia: a multifaceted problem. Cell. 2006;126:643-5 pubmed..al., 2006). This pattern is conserved in epithelia from diverse species, suggesting that this distribution is a fundamental property of proliferating epithelial sheets. ..
- Siddall N, McLaughlin E, Marriner N, Hime G. The RNA-binding protein Musashi is required intrinsically to maintain stem cell identity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:8402-7 pubmed..We describe the complementary expression patterns of the murine Msi paralogues Msi1 and Msi2 during spermatogenesis, which support the idea of distinct, evolutionarily conserved roles of Msi. ..
- Loureiro J, Peifer M. Roles of Armadillo, a Drosophila catenin, during central nervous system development. Curr Biol. 1998;8:622-32 pubmed..The genetic interactions between armadillo and abelson point to a possible role for the tyrosine kinase Abelson in cell-cell adhesive junctions in both the CNS and the epidermis. ..
- Basu R, Taylor M, Williams M. The classic cadherins in synaptic specificity. Cell Adh Migr. 2015;9:193-201 pubmed publisher..Here, we review past and present studies implicating cadherins as active participants in the formation, function, and dysfunction of specific neural circuits and pose some of the major remaining questions. ..
- Lim C, Gandhi S, Biniossek M, Feng L, Schilling O, Urban S, et al. An Aminopeptidase in the Drosophila Testicular Niche Acts in Germline Stem Cell Maintenance and Spermatogonial Dedifferentiation. Cell Rep. 2015;13:315-25 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that a niche factor promotes both stem cell maintenance and progenitor cell dedifferentiation. ..
- Wright T, Hodgetts R, Sherald A. The genetics of dopa decarboxylase in Drosophila melanogaster. I. Isolation and characterization of deficiencies that delete the dopa-decarboxylase-dosage-sensitive region and the alpha-methyl-dopa-hypersensitive locus. Genetics. 1976;84:267-85 pubmed..These deficiencies permit a localization of both the dopa-decarboxylase-dosage-sensitive region and the alpha-methyl-dopa-hypersensitive locus, l(2) amd, to the same region, 37B10-37C7. ..
- Tong C, Ohyama T, Tien A, Rajan A, Haueter C, Bellen H. Rich regulates target specificity of photoreceptor cells and N-cadherin trafficking in the Drosophila visual system via Rab6. Neuron. 2011;71:447-59 pubmed publisher..The active form of Rab6 strongly suppresses the rich synaptic specificity defect, indicating that Rab6 is regulated by Rich. We propose that Rich activates Rab6 to regulate N-Cadherin trafficking and affects synaptic specificity. ..
- Casal J, Leptin M. Identification of novel genes in Drosophila reveals the complex regulation of early gene activity in the mesoderm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:10327-32 pubmed..These novel genes show a variety of expression patterns and also differ in their dependence on twist and snail functions. This indicates that the regulation of early gene activity in the mesoderm is more complex than previously thought. ..