Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bun
Alias: 1550, Bun, BunA, CG31857, CG42281, CG5461, Dm_2L:60722, Dmel\CG42281, Dmel_CG31857, Dmel_CG5461, EP(2)0488, TSC-22, Tsc22, bnc, l(2)00255, l(2)02687, l(2)05479, l(2)06475, l(2)k02903, l(2)rI043, shs, bunched, CG42281-PA, CG42281-PB, CG42281-PC, CG42281-PD, CG42281-PE, CG42281-PF, CG42281-PG, CG42281-PH, CG42281-PO, CG42281-PP, bun-PA, bun-PB, bun-PC, bun-PD, bun-PE, bun-PF, bun-PG, bun-PH, bun-PO, bun-PP, short sighted, short-sighted, shortsighted
Species: fruit fly
- Wu X, Yamada Mabuchi M, Morris E, Tanwar P, Dobens L, Gluderer S, et al. The Drosophila homolog of human tumor suppressor TSC-22 promotes cellular growth, proliferation, and survival. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5414-9 pubmed publisher..humans and mice have four TSC-22 domain genes with numerous isoforms, Drosophila has only one TSC-22 domain gene, bunched (bun), which encodes both large and small protein isoforms...
- Russell M, Ostafichuk L, Scanga S. Lethal P-lacZ insertion lines expressed during pattern respecification in the imaginal discs of Drosophila. Genome. 1998;41:7-13 pubmed..One is an allele of schnurri, a gene that encodes a component of the decapentaplegic (dpp) signal transduction pathway used for positional signalling in the embryo and in imaginal discs. ..
- Huang Z, Kunes S. Hedgehog, transmitted along retinal axons, triggers neurogenesis in the developing visual centers of the Drosophila brain. Cell. 1996;86:411-22 pubmed..These observations provide a novel insight into the molecular interactions that orchestrate the assembly of neural precursor cells into precise synaptic circuits. ..
- Seugnet L, Suzuki Y, Merlin G, Gottschalk L, Duntley S, Shaw P. Notch signaling modulates sleep homeostasis and learning after sleep deprivation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:835-40 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide evidence that bunched, a negative regulator of Notch, is involved in sleep homeostasis...
- Neuman Silberberg F. Drosophila female sterile mutation spoonbill interferes with multiple pathways in oogenesis. Genesis. 2007;45:369-81 pubmed..Based on the previous data and the results presented here, it is anticipated that spoonbill may encode a multifunctional protein that perhaps coordinately regulated the activity of multiple signaling pathways during oogenesis. ..
- Biemar F, Nix D, Piel J, Peterson B, Ronshaugen M, Sementchenko V, et al. Comprehensive identification of Drosophila dorsal-ventral patterning genes using a whole-genome tiling array. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:12763-8 pubmed..We discuss the potential functions of these recently identified genes and suggest that intronic enhancers are a common feature of the DV gene network. ..
- Oh S, Kingsley T, Shin H, Zheng Z, Chen H, Chen X, et al. A P-element insertion screen identified mutations in 455 novel essential genes in Drosophila. Genetics. 2003;163:195-201 pubmed..Our mutation collection represents approximately 56% of the second chromosome vital genes and approximately 24% of the total vital Drosophila genes. ..
- Mathur D, Bost A, Driver I, Ohlstein B. A transient niche regulates the specification of Drosophila intestinal stem cells. Science. 2010;327:210-3 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a paradigm for stem cell-niche biology, where progenitors generate transient niches that determine stem cell fate and may give insights into stem cell specification in other tissues. ..
- Gerhold A, Richter D, Yu A, Hariharan I. Identification and characterization of genes required for compensatory growth in Drosophila. Genetics. 2011;189:1309-26 pubmed publisher..We find specific alleles of bunched (bun) and Ribonucleoside diphosphate reductase large subunit (RnrL) reduce compensatory growth in the imaginal ..
- Zimmerman S, Peters N, Altaras A, Berg C. Optimized RNA ISH, RNA FISH and protein-RNA double labeling (IF/FISH) in Drosophila ovaries. Nat Protoc. 2013;8:2158-79 pubmed publisher..ISH and FISH take 3 d to perform, whereas IF/FISH takes 5 d. Probe generation takes 1 or 2 d to perform. ..
- Ash D, Hackney J, Jean Francois M, Burton N, Dobens L. A dominant negative allele of the Drosophila leucine zipper protein Bunched blocks bunched function during tissue patterning. Mech Dev. 2007;124:559-69 pubmedThe bunched (bun) gene encodes the Drosophila member of the TSC-22/GILZ family of leucine zipper transcriptional regulators...
- Abrell S, Carrera P, Jackle H. A modifier screen of ectopic Krüppel activity identifies autosomal Drosophila chromosomal sites and genes required for normal eye development. Chromosoma. 2000;109:334-42 pubmed..Owing to the bias of the screening system applied, these modifier genes will be expressed and are likely to be required during Drosophila wild-type eye development. ..
- Xu J, Gridley T. Notch Signaling during Oogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Genet Res Int. 2012;2012:648207 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we summarize the biochemical mechanisms of Notch signaling and describe its role in regulating one particular developmental pathway, oogenesis in Drosophila. ..
- Wang H, Wang K, Xiao G, Ma J, Wang B, Shen S, et al. Molecular Mechanisms for High Hydrostatic Pressure-Induced Wing Mutagenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Sci Rep. 2015;5:14965 pubmed publisher..This study revealed the mutagenic mechanisms of HHP-induced mutagenesis in D. melanogaster and provided a new model for the study of evolution on organisms. ..
- Moses H, Serra R. Regulation of differentiation by TGF-beta. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1996;6:581-6 pubmed..Drosophila and transgenic mouse models are now providing useful insights into mechanisms of TGF-beta action in vivo. ..
- Pastor Pareja J, Xu T. Shaping cells and organs in Drosophila by opposing roles of fat body-secreted Collagen IV and perlecan. Dev Cell. 2011;21:245-56 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover incorporation of Collagen IV and Perlecan into BMs as a major determinant of organ shape and animal form. ..
- Spradling A, Bellen H, Hoskins R. Drosophila P elements preferentially transpose to replication origins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:15948-53 pubmed publisher..The advantage transposons gain by moving from replicated to unreplicated genomic regions may contribute to the association of heterochromatin with late-replicating genomic regions. ..
- Alic N, Giannakou M, Papatheodorou I, Hoddinott M, Andrews T, Bolukbasi E, et al. Interplay of dFOXO and two ETS-family transcription factors determines lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004619 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a complex interplay between evolutionarily conserved ETS factors and dFOXO, the functional significance of which may extend well beyond animal lifespan. ..
- Nie Y, Li Q, Amcheslavsky A, Duhart J, Veraksa A, Stocker H, et al. Bunched and Madm Function Downstream of Tuberous Sclerosis Complex to Regulate the Growth of Intestinal Stem Cells in Drosophila. Stem Cell Rev. 2015;11:813-25 pubmed publisher..We show here that the leucine zipper protein Bunched and the adaptor protein Madm are novel regulators of intestinal stem cells...