Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Buffy
Alias: BUFFY, Bcl-2-48AE, Buffy/Borg2, Buffy/DBorg-2, Buffy/dBorg-2, CG8238, Dbx, Dmel\CG8238, Drob2, buffy, dBORG-2/BUFFY, dBorg-2, dBorg2, dbuffy, buffy, 48A-E Bcl-2-like, Buffy-PA, CG8238-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Igaki T, Miura M. Role of Bcl-2 family members in invertebrates. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2004;1644:73-81 pubmed..On the other hand, the Drosophila genome encodes two Bcl-2 family proteins, Drob-1/Debcl/dBorg-1/dBok and Buffy/dBorg-2, both of which structurally belong to the pro-apoptotic group, despite abundant similarities in the cell ..
- Quinn L, Coombe M, Mills K, Daish T, Colussi P, Kumar S, et al. Buffy, a Drosophila Bcl-2 protein, has anti-apoptotic and cell cycle inhibitory functions. EMBO J. 2003;22:3568-79 pubmed..cells, but only the pro-apoptotic protein Debcl has been characterized in Drosophila: Here we report that Buffy, the second Drosophila Bcl-2-like protein, is a pro-survival protein...
- Sakamaki K, Imai K, Tomii K, Miller D. Evolutionary analyses of caspase-8 and its paralogs: Deep origins of the apoptotic signaling pathways. Bioessays. 2015;37:767-76 pubmed publisher..The apoptotic network of the eumetazoan ancestor appears to have been complex and vertebrate like, and is only now being revealed by studying simple animals. ..
- Lanave C, Santamaria M, Saccone C. Comparative genomics: the evolutionary history of the Bcl-2 family. Gene. 2004;333:71-9 pubmed..Once the functions of all the components are known, it will be possible to study the process in a holistic way. ..
- M Angale P, Staveley B. Loss of porin function in dopaminergic neurons of Drosophila is suppressed by Buffy. J Biomed Sci. 2016;23:84 pubmed..In addition, the porin-induced phenotypes are greatly suppressed when the pro-survival Bcl-2 homologue Buffy is overexpressed in these neurons and in the developing eye adding to the cellular advantages of altered ..
- Wu Y, Zhuang Y, Han M, Xu T, Deng K. Ras promotes cell survival by antagonizing both JNK and Hid signals in the Drosophila eye. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:53 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its requirement for cell viability, Ras appears to mediate different biological roles depending on the developmental context and on the level of its expression. ..
- Lawen A. Apoptosis-an introduction. Bioessays. 2003;25:888-96 pubmed
- M Angale P, Staveley B. Overexpression of Buffy enhances the loss of parkin and suppresses the loss of Pink1 phenotypes in Drosophila. Genome. 2017;60:241-247 pubmed publisher..To further evaluate the effects of the overexpression of the Bcl-2 homologue Buffy, we analysed lifespan and climbing ability in both parkin-RNAi- and Pink1-RNAi-expressing flies...
- Mast J, Tomalty K, Vogel H, Clandinin T. Reactive oxygen species act remotely to cause synapse loss in a Drosophila model of developmental mitochondrial encephalopathy. Development. 2008;135:2669-79 pubmed publisher..Thus, alterations in electron transport chain function explain many of the neurodegenerative changes seen in both early- and late-onset disorders. ..
- Kwon D, Mucci D, Langlais K, Americo J, DeVido S, Cheng Y, et al. Enhancer-promoter communication at the Drosophila engrailed locus. Development. 2009;136:3067-75 pubmed publisher..These data show that multiple mechanisms ensure proper enhancer-promoter communication at the Drosophila engrailed locus. ..
- Park J, Lee S, Lee S, Kim Y, Song S, Kim S, et al. Mitochondrial dysfunction in Drosophila PINK1 mutants is complemented by parkin. Nature. 2006;441:1157-61 pubmed..Taken together, our genetic evidence clearly establishes that Parkin and PINK1 act in a common pathway in maintaining mitochondrial integrity and function in both muscles and dopaminergic neurons. ..
- Nakazawa M, Matsubara H, Matsushita Y, Watanabe M, Vo N, Yoshida H, et al. The Human Bcl-2 Family Member Bcl-rambo Localizes to Mitochondria and Induces Apoptosis and Morphological Aberrations in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0157823 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study demonstrated that human Bcl-rambo localized to mitochondria and at least regulated an apoptosis signaling pathway in Drosophila. ..
- Igaki T, Yamamoto Goto Y, Tokushige N, Kanda H, Miura M. Down-regulation of DIAP1 triggers a novel Drosophila cell death pathway mediated by Dark and DRONC. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:23103-6 pubmed..These results suggest the existence of a novel mechanism for cell death signaling in Drosophila that is mediated by DRONC and Dark. ..
- Mensah L, Davison C, Fan S, Morris J, Goberdhan D, Wilson C. Fine-Tuning of PI3K/AKT Signalling by the Tumour Suppressor PTEN Is Required for Maintenance of Flight Muscle Function and Mitochondrial Integrity in Ageing Adult Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0143818 pubmed publisher..We show that the phenotype is partially rescued by muscle-specific expression of the Bcl-2 homologue Buffy, which in flies, maintains mitochondrial integrity, modulates energy homeostasis and suppresses cell death...
- Clavier A, Baillet A, Rincheval Arnold A, ColÃ©no Costes A, Lasbleiz C, Mignotte B, et al. The pro-apoptotic activity of Drosophila Rbf1 involves dE2F2-dependent downregulation of diap1 and buffy mRNA. Cell Death Dis. 2014;5:e1405 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we highlight that Rbf1 and dE2F2 downregulate two major anti-apoptotic genes in Drosophila: buffy, an anti-apoptotic member of Bcl-2 family and diap1, a gene encoding a caspase inhibitor...
- Cao C, Liu Y, Lehmann M. Fork head controls the timing and tissue selectivity of steroid-induced developmental cell death. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:843-52 pubmed..More generally, they suggest that cell identity factors like Fkh play a pivotal role in the normal control of developmental cell death. ..
- Terhzaz S, Finlayson A, Stirrat L, Yang J, Tricoire H, Woods D, et al. Cell-specific inositol 1,4,5 trisphosphate 3-kinase mediates epithelial cell apoptosis in response to oxidative stress in Drosophila. Cell Signal. 2010;22:737-48 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila orthologues of human apoptotic bcl-2 genes include debcl and buffy. Oxidative stress challenge does not modulate gene expression of either debcl or buffy in tubules; and altered ..
- M Angale P, Staveley B. The Bcl-2 homologue Buffy rescues ?-synuclein-induced Parkinson disease-like phenotypes in Drosophila. BMC Neurosci. 2016;17:24 pubmed publisher..genes have been found in Drosophila melanogaster including the pro-cell survival, human Bok-related orthologue, Buffy. The directed expression of ?-synuclein, the first gene identified to contribute to inherited forms of Parkinson ..
- Clavier A, Ruby V, Rincheval Arnold A, Mignotte B, GuÃ©nal I. The Drosophila retinoblastoma protein, Rbf1, induces a Debcl- and Drp1-dependent mitochondrial apoptosis. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:3239-49 pubmed publisher..activity depends on its ability to decrease the level of anti-apoptotic proteins such as the Bcl-2 family protein Buffy. Buffy often acts in an opposite manner to Debcl, the other Drosophila Bcl-2-family protein...
- Denton D, Kumar S. Studying Apoptosis in Drosophila. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2015;2015:609-13 pubmed publisher..The focus of this discussion is to introduce methodologies for monitoring apoptosis during Drosophila development and also in Drosophila cell lines. ..
- Arya R, White K. Cell death in development: Signaling pathways and core mechanisms. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2015;39:12-9 pubmed publisher..Understanding how the cell death is regulated during development may provide insight into how this process can be manipulated in the treatment of disease. ..
- M Angale P, Staveley B. A loss of Pdxk model of Parkinson disease in Drosophila can be suppressed by Buffy. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10:205 pubmed publisher..We relied on the pro-survival functions of Buffy, an anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 homologue, to rescue the Pdxk-induced phenotypes...
- Rallis A, Lu B, Ng J. Molecular chaperones protect against JNK- and Nmnat-regulated axon degeneration in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:838-49 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that molecular chaperones are key in JNK- and Nmnat-regulated axonal protective functions. ..
- Monserrate J, Chen M, Brachmann C. Drosophila larvae lacking the bcl-2 gene, buffy, are sensitive to nutrient stress, maintain increased basal target of rapamycin (Tor) signaling and exhibit characteristics of altered basal energy metabolism. BMC Biol. 2012;10:63 pubmed publisher..We report that starvation of Drosophila larvae lacking the bcl-2 gene, buffy, decreases survival rate by more than twofold relative to wild-type larvae...
- ZIRIN J, Perrimon N. Drosophila as a model system to study autophagy. Semin Immunopathol. 2010;32:363-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the complex biology and physiology of Drosophila presents an opportunity to model human diseases in a tissue specific and analogous context. ..
- Danial N, Korsmeyer S. Cell death: critical control points. Cell. 2004;116:205-19 pubmed..The identification of critical control points in the cell death pathway has yielded fundamental insights for basic biology, as well as provided rational targets for new therapeutics. ..
- Lam D, Shah S, de Castro I, Loh S, Martins L. Drosophila happyhour modulates JNK-dependent apoptosis. Cell Death Dis. 2010;1:e66 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that hppy has a JNK-dependent proapoptotic function in Drosophila, which reinforces the hypothesis that MAP4K3 might act as tumour suppressor by regulating apoptosis in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Tsubouchi A, Tsuyama T, Fujioka M, Kohda H, Okamoto Furuta K, Aigaki T, et al. Mitochondrial protein Preli-like is required for development of dendritic arbors and prevents their regression in the Drosophila sensory nervous system. Development. 2009;136:3757-66 pubmed publisher..Moreover, expression of the Drob-1 antagonist Buffy in prel mutant neurons substantially restored the dendritic phenotype...
- Meier P, Finch A, Evan G. Apoptosis in development. Nature. 2000;407:796-801 pubmed..Dysfunctions in the regulation or execution of cell suicide are implicated in a wide range of developmental abnormalities and diseases. ..