Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: brp
Alias: BRP, Brp, CG12932, CG12933, CG1931, CG30336, CG30337, CG34146, CG42344, Cast, Dmel\CG42344, Dmel_CG12932, Dmel_CG34146, MAbnc82, Mabnc82, NC82, Nc82, mAb nc82, mAbnc82, nc-82, nc82, bruchpilot, CG42344-PD, CG42344-PE, CG42344-PG, CG42344-PH, CG42344-PI, CG42344-PJ, CG42344-PK, CG42344-PL, CG42344-PM, Nc82, brp-PD, brp-PE, brp-PG, brp-PH, brp-PI, brp-PJ, brp-PK, brp-PL, brp-PM, burchpilot, monoclonal antibody nc82
Species: fruit fly
- Nicolaï L, Ramaekers A, Raemaekers T, Drozdzecki A, Mauss A, Yan J, et al. Genetically encoded dendritic marker sheds light on neuronal connectivity in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:20553-8 pubmed publisher..We show that DenMark is a powerful tool for revealing novel aspects of the neuroanatomy of developing dendrites, identifying previously unknown dendritic arbors, and elucidating neuronal connectivity. ..
- Berdnik D, Fan A, Potter C, Luo L. MicroRNA processing pathway regulates olfactory neuron morphogenesis. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1754-9 pubmed publisher..However, Argonaute-1 and Argonaute-2 are dispensable for PN morphogenesis. Our findings suggest a role for the miRNA processing pathway in establishing wiring specificity in the nervous system. ..
- Nieratschker V, Schubert A, Jauch M, Bock N, Bucher D, Dippacher S, et al. Bruchpilot in ribbon-like axonal agglomerates, behavioral defects, and early death in SRPK79D kinase mutants of Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000700 pubmed publisherDefining the molecular structure and function of synapses is a central theme in brain research. In Drosophila the Bruchpilot (BRP) protein is associated with T-shaped ribbons ("T-bars") at presynaptic active zones (AZs)...
- Komiyama T, Carlson J, Luo L. Olfactory receptor neuron axon targeting: intrinsic transcriptional control and hierarchical interactions. Nat Neurosci. 2004;7:819-25 pubmed..We propose that the precision of ORN axon targeting derives from both intrinsic transcriptional control and extensive axon-axon interactions. ..
- Marrus S, DiAntonio A. Preferential localization of glutamate receptors opposite sites of high presynaptic release. Curr Biol. 2004;14:924-31 pubmed..These results suggest an activity-dependent matching of pre- and postsynaptic function at the level of a single active zone. ..
- Berdnik D, Chihara T, Couto A, Luo L. Wiring stability of the adult Drosophila olfactory circuit after lesion. J Neurosci. 2006;26:3367-76 pubmed..We conclude that, although adult olfactory neurons can undergo plastic changes in response to the loss of competition, the olfactory circuit overall is extremely stable in preserving segregated information channels in this discrete map. ..
- Chen X, Ganetzky B. A neuropeptide signaling pathway regulates synaptic growth in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2012;196:529-43 pubmed publisher..Moreover, because the cAMP-PKA-CREB pathway is required for structural synaptic plasticity in learning and memory, DSK/CCKLR signaling may also contribute to these mechanisms. ..
- Viquez N, Füger P, Valakh V, Daniels R, Rasse T, DiAntonio A. PP2A and GSK-3beta act antagonistically to regulate active zone development. J Neurosci. 2009;29:11484-94 pubmed publisher..When PP2A is inhibited presynaptically, many glutamate receptor clusters are unapposed to Bruchpilot (Brp), an active zone protein required for normal transmitter release...
- Zeng X, Sun M, Liu L, Chen F, Wei L, Xie W. Neurexin-1 is required for synapse formation and larvae associative learning in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:2509-16 pubmed..The synapse number is decreased in central nervous system in Neurexin-1 null mutants. In addition, Neurexin-1 null mutants exhibit associative learning defect in larvae. ..
- Potter C, Tasic B, Russler E, Liang L, Luo L. The Q system: a repressible binary system for transgene expression, lineage tracing, and mosaic analysis. Cell. 2010;141:536-48 pubmed publisher..The Q system can be expanded to other uses in Drosophila and to any organism conducive to transgenesis...
- Zhu S, Chiang A, Lee T. Development of the Drosophila mushroom bodies: elaboration, remodeling and spatial organization of dendrites in the calyx. Development. 2003;130:2603-10 pubmed..Taken together, subregional differences exist in the adult Drosophila MB calyx, where processing and integration of distinct types of sensory information begin. ..
- Ataman B, Ashley J, Gorczyca D, Gorczyca M, Mathew D, Wichmann C, et al. Nuclear trafficking of Drosophila Frizzled-2 during synapse development requires the PDZ protein dGRIP. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7841-6 pubmed..These results provide a mechanism by which DFz2 is transported from the postsynaptic membrane to the postsynaptic nucleus during synapse formation and implicate dGRIP as an essential molecule in the transport of this signal. ..
- Pielage J, Fetter R, Davis G. Presynaptic spectrin is essential for synapse stabilization. Curr Biol. 2005;15:918-28 pubmed..Our data suggest that presynaptic spectrin functions as an essential presynaptic scaffold that may link synaptic cell adhesion with the stabilization of the underlying microtubule cytoskeleton. ..
- Lai S, Awasaki T, Ito K, Lee T. Clonal analysis of Drosophila antennal lobe neurons: diverse neuronal architectures in the lateral neuroblast lineage. Development. 2008;135:2883-93 pubmed publisher..These systematic cell lineage analyses have not only filled gaps in the olfactory map, but have also exemplified additional strategies used in the brain to increase neuronal diversity. ..
- Yu D, Ponomarev A, Davis R. Altered representation of the spatial code for odors after olfactory classical conditioning; memory trace formation by synaptic recruitment. Neuron. 2004;42:437-49 pubmed..The rapid recruitment by conditioning of new synapses into the representation of sensory information may be a general mechanism underlying many forms of short-term memory. ..
- Ashraf S, McLoon A, Sclarsic S, Kunes S. Synaptic protein synthesis associated with memory is regulated by the RISC pathway in Drosophila. Cell. 2006;124:191-205 pubmed..Therefore, we propose that degradative control of the RISC pathway underlies the pattern of synaptic protein synthesis associated with a stable memory. ..
- Laissue P, Reiter C, Hiesinger P, Halter S, Fischbach K, Stocker R. Three-dimensional reconstruction of the antennal lobe in Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 1999;405:543-52 pubmed..melanogaster, based on confocal microscopic analysis of glomeruli stained with the neuropil-specific monoclonal antibody nc82. The analysis of confocal stacks allowed us to identify glomeruli according to the criteria shape, size, ..
- Liu K, Siebert M, Mertel S, Knoche E, Wegener S, Wichmann C, et al. RIM-binding protein, a central part of the active zone, is essential for neurotransmitter release. Science. 2011;334:1565-9 pubmed publisher..Our data identify RBP family proteins as prime effectors of the AZ scaffold that are essential for the coupling of SVs, Ca(2+) channels, and the SV fusion machinery. ..
- Kohsaka H, Takasu E, Nose A. In vivo induction of postsynaptic molecular assembly by the cell adhesion molecule Fasciclin2. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1289-300 pubmed..We propose that Fas2 mediates trans-synaptic adhesion, which contributes to postsynaptic molecular assembly at the onset of synaptogenesis. ..
- Sweeney L, Chou Y, Wu Z, Joo W, Komiyama T, Potter C, et al. Secreted semaphorins from degenerating larval ORN axons direct adult projection neuron dendrite targeting. Neuron. 2011;72:734-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, a degenerating brain structure instructs the wiring of a developing circuit through the repulsive action of secreted semaphorins...
- Morante J, Erclik T, Desplan C. Cell migration in Drosophila optic lobe neurons is controlled by eyeless/Pax6. Development. 2011;138:687-93 pubmed publisher..These defects in cell migration among medulla cortex cells can be rescued by removing DE-Cadherin. Thus, eyeless links neurogenesis and neuronal migration. ..
- Koch I, Schwarz H, Beuchle D, Goellner B, Langegger M, Aberle H. Drosophila ankyrin 2 is required for synaptic stability. Neuron. 2008;58:210-22 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, Ank2 functions downstream of spectrin in the anchorage of synaptic microtubules, providing the cytoskeletal scaffold that is essential for synaptic stability. ..
- Zhu H, Hummel T, Clemens J, Berdnik D, Zipursky S, Luo L. Dendritic patterning by Dscam and synaptic partner matching in the Drosophila antennal lobe. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:349-55 pubmed..This observation provides evidence for a pre- and postsynaptic matching mechanism independent of precise glomerular positioning. ..
- Graf E, Daniels R, Burgess R, Schwarz T, DiAntonio A. Rab3 dynamically controls protein composition at active zones. Neuron. 2009;64:663-77 pubmed publisher..At Drosophila rab3 mutant NMJs, the presynaptic protein Bruchpilot, calcium channels, and electron-dense T bars are concentrated at a fraction of available active zones, leaving ..
- Higashi Kovtun M, Mosca T, Dickman D, Meinertzhagen I, Schwarz T. Importin-beta11 regulates synaptic phosphorylated mothers against decapentaplegic, and thereby influences synaptic development and function at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2010;30:5253-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, importin-beta11 function interacts with the BMP pathway to regulate a pool of pMAD that must be present at the presynapse for its proper development and function. ..
- Jefferis G, Potter C, Chan A, Marin E, Rohlfing T, Maurer C, et al. Comprehensive maps of Drosophila higher olfactory centers: spatially segregated fruit and pheromone representation. Cell. 2007;128:1187-203 pubmed..Our results suggest that the LH is organized according to biological values of olfactory input. ..
- Schmid A, Hallermann S, Kittel R, Khorramshahi O, Frölich A, Quentin C, et al. Activity-dependent site-specific changes of glutamate receptor composition in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:659-66 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the maturation of GluR composition correlated in a site-specific manner with the level of Bruchpilot, an active zone protein that is essential for mature glutamate release...
- Kittel R, Wichmann C, Rasse T, Fouquet W, Schmidt M, Schmid A, et al. Bruchpilot promotes active zone assembly, Ca2+ channel clustering, and vesicle release. Science. 2006;312:1051-4 pubmed..The Drosophila coiled-coil domain protein Bruchpilot (BRP) was observed in donut-shaped structures centered at active zones of neuromuscular synapses by using ..
- Hong W, Zhu H, Potter C, Barsh G, Kurusu M, Zinn K, et al. Leucine-rich repeat transmembrane proteins instruct discrete dendrite targeting in an olfactory map. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1542-50 pubmed publisher..The closely related protein Tartan was partially redundant with Caps. These LRR proteins are probably part of a combinatorial cell-surface code that instructs discrete olfactory map formation. ..
- Miskiewicz K, Jose L, Bento Abreu A, Fislage M, Taes I, Kasprowicz J, et al. ELP3 controls active zone morphology by acetylating the ELKS family member Bruchpilot. Neuron. 2011;72:776-88 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that in Drosophila neurons, ELP3 is necessary and sufficient to acetylate the ELKS family member Bruchpilot, an integral component of the presynaptic density where neurotransmitters are released...
- Wilson R, Laurent G. Role of GABAergic inhibition in shaping odor-evoked spatiotemporal patterns in the Drosophila antennal lobe. J Neurosci. 2005;25:9069-79 pubmed
- Jiao W, Masich S, Franzén O, Shupliakov O. Two pools of vesicles associated with the presynaptic cytosolic projection in Drosophila neuromuscular junctions. J Struct Biol. 2010;172:389-94 pubmed publisher..This suggests that SVs associated with the PCP loose their connections with other vesicles in the cluster during translocation to the site of fusion. ..
- Mao Z, Davis R. Eight different types of dopaminergic neurons innervate the Drosophila mushroom body neuropil: anatomical and physiological heterogeneity. Front Neural Circuits. 2009;3:5 pubmed publisher..Differences in functional response properties of these neurons suggest that they are involved in different behavioral processes. ..
- Tanaka N, Tanimoto H, Ito K. Neuronal assemblies of the Drosophila mushroom body. J Comp Neurol. 2008;508:711-55 pubmed publisher..Structural differences between lobes are also discussed. ..
- O Connor Giles K, Ho L, Ganetzky B. Nervous wreck interacts with thickveins and the endocytic machinery to attenuate retrograde BMP signaling during synaptic growth. Neuron. 2008;58:507-18 pubmed publisher..We propose that Nwk functions at the interface of endocytosis and BMP signaling to ensure proper synaptic growth by negatively regulating Tkv to set limits on this positive growth signal. ..
- Johnson E, Fetter R, Davis G. Negative regulation of active zone assembly by a newly identified SR protein kinase. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000193 pubmed publisher..The SRPK79D protein colocalizes with the T-bar-associated protein Bruchpilot (Brp) in both the axon and synapse...
- Pitman J, Huetteroth W, Burke C, Krashes M, Lai S, Lee T, et al. A pair of inhibitory neurons are required to sustain labile memory in the Drosophila mushroom body. Curr Biol. 2011;21:855-61 pubmed publisher..We propose that APL neurons provide widespread inhibition to stabilize and maintain synaptic specificity of a labile memory trace in a recurrent DPM and MB Î±'Î²' neuron circuit. ..
- Kremer M, Christiansen F, Leiss F, Paehler M, Knapek S, Andlauer T, et al. Structural long-term changes at mushroom body input synapses. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1938-44 pubmed publisher..These data provide clear evidence for activity-dependent organization of a circuit within the adult brain of the fly. ..
- Heimbeck G, Bugnon V, Gendre N, Häberlin C, Stocker R. Smell and taste perception in Drosophila melanogaster larva: toxin expression studies in chemosensory neurons. J Neurosci. 1999;19:6599-609 pubmed..Hence, a subset of neurons from the TO builds an anatomical entity with projections from the DO. Our results suggest that the AMC contains both olfactory and gustatory sensilla, and that the DO is the main olfactory organ in larvae. ..
- Young J, Armstrong J. Structure of the adult central complex in Drosophila: organization of distinct neuronal subsets. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:1500-24 pubmed publisher..Small-field neurons were observed in clearly organized layers. This study provides a novel insight into CX structure and connectivity and provides a set of characterized enhancer trap lines that will be valuable for future study. ..
- Yu H, Chen C, Shi L, Huang Y, Lee T. Twin-spot MARCM to reveal the developmental origin and identity of neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:947-53 pubmed publisher..In sum, twin-spot MARCM can reveal the developmental origins of neurons and the mechanisms that underlie cell fate. ..
- Ishimoto H, Sakai T, Kitamoto T. Ecdysone signaling regulates the formation of long-term courtship memory in adult Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:6381-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that ecdysone is able to consolidate memories possibly by recapturing molecular and cellular processes that are used for normal neural development. ..
- White K, Humphrey D, Hirth F. The dopaminergic system in the aging brain of Drosophila. Front Neurosci. 2010;4:205 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data establish baseline parameters in Drosophila for the study of Parkinson's disease as well as other disorders affecting DA neurons and movement control. ..
- Jefferis G, Marin E, Stocker R, Luo L. Target neuron prespecification in the olfactory map of Drosophila. Nature. 2001;414:204-8 pubmed..These studies also imply a previously unanticipated role for precise dendritic targeting by postsynaptic neurons in determining connection specificity. ..
- Python F, Stocker R. Adult-like complexity of the larval antennal lobe of D. melanogaster despite markedly low numbers of odorant receptor neurons. J Comp Neurol. 2002;445:374-87 pubmed
- Tamura T, Horiuchi D, Chen Y, Sone M, Miyashita T, Saitoe M, et al. Drosophila PQBP1 regulates learning acquisition at projection neurons in aversive olfactory conditioning. J Neurosci. 2010;30:14091-101 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings identify dPQBP1 as a novel gene regulating learning acquisition at PNs. ..
- Nahm M, Long A, Paik S, Kim S, Bae Y, Broadie K, et al. The Cdc42-selective GAP rich regulates postsynaptic development and retrograde BMP transsynaptic signaling. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:661-75 pubmed publisher..Importantly, dRich increases Gbb release and elevates presynaptic phosphorylated Mad levels. We propose that dRich coordinates the Gbb-dependent modulation of synaptic growth and function with postsynaptic development. ..
- Weyhersmüller A, Hallermann S, Wagner N, Eilers J. Rapid active zone remodeling during synaptic plasticity. J Neurosci. 2011;31:6041-52 pubmed publisher..High-resolution light microscopy revealed an increase in the amount of the active zone protein Bruchpilot and an enlargement of the presynaptic cytomatrix structure...
- Dudu V, Bittig T, Entchev E, Kicheva A, Jülicher F, Gonzalez Gaitan M. Postsynaptic mad signaling at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Curr Biol. 2006;16:625-35 pubmed..We show that Mad nuclear trafficking depends on stimulation of the muscle. Our data suggest a mechanism linking synaptic transmission and postsynaptic TGF-beta signaling that may coordinate nerve-muscle development and function. ..
- Wang Z, Singhvi A, Kong P, Scott K. Taste representations in the Drosophila brain. Cell. 2004;117:981-91 pubmed..These studies reveal the gustatory map in the first relay of the fly brain and demonstrate that taste quality and position are represented in anatomical projection patterns. ..
- Fouquet W, Owald D, Wichmann C, Mertel S, Depner H, Dyba M, et al. Maturation of active zone assembly by Drosophila Bruchpilot. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:129-45 pubmed publisher..Recently, mutants of the Drosophila melanogaster ERC/CAST family protein Bruchpilot (BRP) were shown to lack dense projections (T-bars) and to suffer from Ca(2+) channel-clustering defects...
- James R, Broihier H. Crimpy inhibits the BMP homolog Gbb in motoneurons to enable proper growth control at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Development. 2011;138:3273-86 pubmed publisher..We present a model whereby this inhibition permits the muscle-derived Gbb pool to predominate at the NMJ, thus establishing the retrograde directionality of the pro-growth BMP pathway. ..
- Claridge Chang A, Roorda R, Vrontou E, Sjulson L, Li H, Hirsh J, et al. Writing memories with light-addressable reinforcement circuitry. Cell. 2009;139:405-15 pubmed publisher..The delineation of core reinforcement circuitry is an essential first step in dissecting the neural mechanisms that compute and represent valuations, store associations, and guide actions. ..
- Koon A, Ashley J, Barria R, Dasgupta S, Brain R, Waddell S, et al. Autoregulatory and paracrine control of synaptic and behavioral plasticity by octopaminergic signaling. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:190-9 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a mechanism for global regulation of excitatory synapses, presumably to maintain synaptic and behavioral plasticity in a dynamic range. ..
- Muller M, Liu K, Sigrist S, Davis G. RIM controls homeostatic plasticity through modulation of the readily-releasable vesicle pool. J Neurosci. 2012;32:16574-85 pubmed publisher..By extension, homeostatic plasticity appears to require two genetically separable processes, the enhancement of presynaptic calcium influx and a RIM-dependent modulation of the RRP. ..
- Matkovic T, Siebert M, Knoche E, Depner H, Mertel S, Owald D, et al. The Bruchpilot cytomatrix determines the size of the readily releasable pool of synaptic vesicles. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:667-83 pubmed publisher..We showed previously that loss of the Drosophila melanogaster ELKS family protein Bruchpilot (BRP) eliminates the cytomatrix (T bar) and declusters Ca(2+) channels...
- Rein K, Zöckler M, Mader M, Grübel C, Heisenberg M. The Drosophila standard brain. Curr Biol. 2002;12:227-31 pubmed..We now provide a representative standard for the brain of D. melanogaster wild-type with means and variances for several aspects of its shape. Its application to volumetry, mutants, and gene expression patterns is demonstrated. ..
- Wucherpfennig T, Wilsch Bräuninger M, Gonzalez Gaitan M. Role of Drosophila Rab5 during endosomal trafficking at the synapse and evoked neurotransmitter release. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:609-24 pubmed..Conversely, Rab5 overexpression increases the release efficacy. Therefore, the Rab5-dependent trafficking pathway plays an important role for synaptic performance. ..
- Frank C, Pielage J, Davis G. A presynaptic homeostatic signaling system composed of the Eph receptor, ephexin, Cdc42, and CaV2.1 calcium channels. Neuron. 2009;61:556-69 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose that Ephexin/Cdc42 couples synaptic Eph signaling to the modulation of presynaptic CaV2.1 channels during the homeostatic enhancement of presynaptic release. ..
- Li J, Ashley J, Budnik V, Bhat M. Crucial role of Drosophila neurexin in proper active zone apposition to postsynaptic densities, synaptic growth, and synaptic transmission. Neuron. 2007;55:741-55 pubmed..Together, our results provide compelling evidence for an in vivo role of neurexins in the modulation of synaptic architecture and adhesive interactions between pre- and postsynaptic compartments. ..
- Ataman B, Ashley J, Gorczyca M, Ramachandran P, Fouquet W, Sigrist S, et al. Rapid activity-dependent modifications in synaptic structure and function require bidirectional Wnt signaling. Neuron. 2008;57:705-18 pubmed publisher..We propose that activation of the postsynaptic Wg pathway is required for the assembly of the postsynaptic apparatus, while activation of the presynaptic Wg pathway regulates cytoskeletal dynamics. ..
- Huntwork S, Littleton J. A complexin fusion clamp regulates spontaneous neurotransmitter release and synaptic growth. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1235-7 pubmed
- Schmid A, Qin G, Wichmann C, Kittel R, Mertel S, Fouquet W, et al. Non-NMDA-type glutamate receptors are essential for maturation but not for initial assembly of synapses at Drosophila neuromuscular junctions. J Neurosci. 2006;26:11267-77 pubmed..Thus, our data suggest that incorporation of non-NMDA-type glutamate receptors and likely their protein-protein interactions with additional PSD components triggers a conversion from an initial to a mature stage of PSD assembly. ..
- Owald D, Fouquet W, Schmidt M, Wichmann C, Mertel S, Depner H, et al. A Syd-1 homologue regulates pre- and postsynaptic maturation in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:565-79 pubmed publisher..At the Drosophila neuromuscular junction, the ELKS family member Bruchpilot (BRP) is essential for dense body formation and functional maturation of AZs...
- Godena V, Romano G, Romano M, Appocher C, Klima R, Buratti E, et al. TDP-43 regulates Drosophila neuromuscular junctions growth by modulating Futsch/MAP1B levels and synaptic microtubules organization. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17808 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we observed that TDP-43 physically interacts with futsch mRNA and that its RNA binding capacity is required to prevent futsch down regulation and synaptic defects. ..
- Chou Y, Spletter M, Yaksi E, Leong J, Wilson R, Luo L. Diversity and wiring variability of olfactory local interneurons in the Drosophila antennal lobe. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:439-49 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an unexpected degree of complexity and individual variation in an invertebrate neural circuit, a result that creates challenges for solving the Drosophila connectome. ..
- Albornoz V, Mendoza Topaz C, Oliva C, Tello J, Olguin P, Sierralta J. Temporal and spatial expression of Drosophila DLGS97 during neural development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:443-51 pubmed publisher..In addition we show that both, dlgS97 and dlgA transcripts, express during development multiple splice variants with differences in the use of exons in two sites. ..
- Awasaki T, Lai S, Ito K, Lee T. Organization and postembryonic development of glial cells in the adult central brain of Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2008;28:13742-53 pubmed publisher..It lays an essential foundation for studying glia development and function in the Drosophila brain. ..
- Ruta V, Datta S, Vasconcelos M, Freeland J, Looger L, Axel R. A dimorphic pheromone circuit in Drosophila from sensory input to descending output. Nature. 2010;468:686-90 pubmed publisher..This neural pathway suggests a means by which a single pheromone can elicit different behaviours in the two sexes. ..
- Larsson M, Domingos A, Jones W, Chiappe M, Amrein H, Vosshall L. Or83b encodes a broadly expressed odorant receptor essential for Drosophila olfaction. Neuron. 2004;43:703-14 pubmed..Consistent with this cellular defect, the Or83b mutation disrupts behavioral and electrophysiological responses to many odorants. Or83b therefore encodes an atypical odorant receptor that plays an essential general role in olfaction. ..
- Marie B, Sweeney S, Poskanzer K, Roos J, Kelly R, Davis G. Dap160/intersectin scaffolds the periactive zone to achieve high-fidelity endocytosis and normal synaptic growth. Neuron. 2004;43:207-19 pubmed..We present a model in which Dap160 scaffolds both endocytic machinery and essential synaptic signaling systems to the periactive zone to coordinately control structural and functional synapse development. ..
- Burke C, Huetteroth W, Owald D, Perisse E, Krashes M, Das G, et al. Layered reward signalling through octopamine and dopamine in Drosophila. Nature. 2012;492:433-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, they reconcile previous findings with octopamine and dopamine and suggest that reinforcement systems in flies are more similar to mammals than previously thought. ..
- Zhu H, Luo L. Diverse functions of N-cadherin in dendritic and axonal terminal arborization of olfactory projection neurons. Neuron. 2004;42:63-75 pubmed..Although the N-cadherin locus potentially encodes eight alternatively spliced isoforms, transgenic expression of one isoform is sufficient to rescue all phenotypes. ..
- Wairkar Y, Toda H, Mochizuki H, Furukubo Tokunaga K, Tomoda T, DiAntonio A. Unc-51 controls active zone density and protein composition by downregulating ERK signaling. J Neurosci. 2009;29:517-28 pubmed publisher..kinase Unc-51 acts in the presynaptic motoneuron to regulate the localization of the active zone protein Bruchpilot opposite to glutamate receptors at each synapse...
- Collins C, Wairkar Y, Johnson S, DiAntonio A. Highwire restrains synaptic growth by attenuating a MAP kinase signal. Neuron. 2006;51:57-69 pubmed..In addition to controlling synaptic growth, Highwire promotes synaptic function through a separate pathway that does not require wallenda. ..
- Yoshihara M, Adolfsen B, Galle K, Littleton J. Retrograde signaling by Syt 4 induces presynaptic release and synapse-specific growth. Science. 2005;310:858-63 pubmed..Postsynaptic Ca2+ influx also stimulates local synaptic differentiation and growth through Syt 4-mediated retrograde signals in a synapse-specific manner. ..
- Peled E, Isacoff E. Optical quantal analysis of synaptic transmission in wild-type and rab3-mutant Drosophila motor axons. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:519-26 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that basal synaptic strength and short-term plasticity are regulated at the level of release probability at individual sites. ..
- Pack Chung E, Kurshan P, Dickman D, Schwarz T. A Drosophila kinesin required for synaptic bouton formation and synaptic vesicle transport. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:980-9 pubmed..Our data thus indicate that Imac transports components required for synaptic maturation and provide insight into presynaptic maturation as a process that can be differentiated from axon outgrowth and targeting. ..
- Edwards T, Meinertzhagen I. Photoreceptor neurons find new synaptic targets when misdirected by overexpressing runt in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2009;29:828-41 pubmed publisher..This uniformity indicates the cell-autonomous determination of the architecture of its synaptic organelles by the presynaptic photoreceptor terminal. ..
- Gilestro G, Tononi G, Cirelli C. Widespread changes in synaptic markers as a function of sleep and wakefulness in Drosophila. Science. 2009;324:109-12 pubmed publisher..The decrease of synaptic markers during sleep was progressive, and sleep was necessary for their decline. Thus, sleep may be involved in maintaining synaptic homeostasis altered by waking activities. ..