Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: brn
Alias: Brn, CG4934, Dmel\CG4934, EG:EG0007.6, brc, fs(1)107, fs(1)A107, l(1)6P6, brainiac, CG4934-PA, brn-PA, gene B
Species: fruit fly
- Lehmann R. Cell-cell signaling, microtubules, and the loss of symmetry in the Drosophila oocyte. Cell. 1995;83:353-6 pubmed
- Boquet I, Boujemaa R, Carlier M, Preat T. Ciboulot regulates actin assembly during Drosophila brain metamorphosis. Cell. 2000;102:797-808 pubmed..Genetic experiments show that Cib and the Drosophila profilin protein Chickadee (Chic) cooperate in central brain metamorphosis. ..
- Bhat K. Cell-cell signaling during neurogenesis: some answers and many questions. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:127-39 pubmed
- Goode S, Morgan M, Liang Y, Mahowald A. Brainiac encodes a novel, putative secreted protein that cooperates with Grk TGF alpha in the genesis of the follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 1996;178:35-50 pubmedb>brainiac (brn) is involved in a number of developmental events...
- Schwientek T, Keck B, Levery S, Jensen M, Pedersen J, Wandall H, et al. The Drosophila gene brainiac encodes a glycosyltransferase putatively involved in glycosphingolipid synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:32421-9 pubmedThe Drosophila genes fringe and brainiac exhibit sequence similarities to glycosyltransferases...
- Müller R, Hülsmeier A, Altmann F, Ten Hagen K, Tiemeyer M, Hennet T. Characterization of mucin-type core-1 beta1-3 galactosyltransferase homologous enzymes in Drosophila melanogaster. FEBS J. 2005;272:4295-305 pubmed..melanogaster suggests an increased complexity of core-1 O-glycan expression, which is possibly related to multiple developmental and physiological functions attributable to this class of glycans. ..
- Griffitts J, Huffman D, Whitacre J, Barrows B, Marroquin L, Müller R, et al. Resistance to a bacterial toxin is mediated by removal of a conserved glycosylation pathway required for toxin-host interactions. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:45594-602 pubmed..This identification is striking given that the previously identified bre-5 has homology to Drosophila brainiac (brn) and that egh-brn likely function as consecutive glycosyltransferases in Drosophila epithelial cells...
- Fan Y, Soller M, Flister S, Hollmann M, Muller M, Bello B, et al. The egghead gene is required for compartmentalization in Drosophila optic lobe development. Dev Biol. 2005;287:61-73 pubmed..This finding underscores the importance of the lamina/lobula compartment boundary in R1-R6 axon targeting. ..
- Hamel S, Fantini J, Schweisguth F. Notch ligand activity is modulated by glycosphingolipid membrane composition in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:581-94 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that specific GSLs modulate the signaling activity of Notch ligands. ..
- Dahlgaard K, Jung A, Qvortrup K, Clausen H, Kjaerulff O, Wandall H. Neurofibromatosis-like phenotype in Drosophila caused by lack of glucosylceramide extension. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:6987-92 pubmed publisher..These results show that loss of the glycosyltransferase Egh affects membrane signaling and activation of PI3K signaling in glia of the peripheral nervous system, and suggest that glycosyltransferases may suppress proliferation. ..
- Wilson I. Glycosylation of proteins in plants and invertebrates. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2002;12:569-77 pubmed..Whereas the forms of O-linked glycans in plants are unlike those in animals, studies on invertebrate O-glycosylation often yield information relevant to mammalian systems. ..
- Smith J, Cummings C, Cronmiller C. Daughterless coordinates somatic cell proliferation, differentiation and germline cyst survival during follicle formation in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:3255-67 pubmed..Collectively, these da functions govern the abundance and diversity of somatic cells as they coordinate with germline cysts to form functional follicles. ..
- Kondylis V, Goulding S, Dunne J, Rabouille C. Biogenesis of Golgi stacks in imaginal discs of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2308-27 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that we have developed an in vivo system to study the ecdysone-triggered Golgi stack biogenesis. ..
- Goode S, Perrimon N. Brainiac and fringe are similar pioneer proteins that impart specificity to notch signaling during Drosophila development. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1997;62:177-84 pubmed
- Grammont M, Dastugue B, Couderc J. The Drosophila toucan (toc) gene is required in germline cells for the somatic cell patterning during oogenesis. Development. 1997;124:4917-26 pubmed..We propose that toucan participates in the production or localization of a germline-specific signal(s) that is required for the patterning of the follicular epithelium. ..
- Schupbach T, Roth S. Dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:502-7 pubmed..This localized signal from the oocyte to the follicle cells appears to initiate a cascade of events leading to dorsal follicle cell differentiation, and delimiting and orienting the future dorsoventral axis of the embryo. ..
- Oliver B, Perrimon N, Mahowald A. Genetic evidence that the sans fille locus is involved in Drosophila sex determination. Genetics. 1988;120:159-71 pubmed