Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bowl
Description: brother of odd with entrails limited
Alias: 17-29-5, BOWL, Bowl, CG10021, Dmel\CG10021, Su(tor)2-1, org2, brother of odd with entrails limited, CG10021-PA, CG10021-PB, CG10021-PC, CG10021-PD, CG10021-PF, CG10021-PG, CG10021-PH, bowel, bowl-PA, bowl-PB, bowl-PC, bowl-PD, bowl-PF, bowl-PG, bowl-PH, odd skipped-related 2
Species: fruit fly
- Hart M, Wang L, Coulter D. Comparison of the structure and expression of odd-skipped and two related genes that encode a new family of zinc finger proteins in Drosophila. Genetics. 1996;144:171-82 pubmed..We have molecularly characterized two embryonically expressed odd-cognate genes, sob and bowel (bowl), that encode proteins with highly conserved C2H2 zinc fingers...
- Green R, Hatini V, Johansen K, Liu X, Lengyel J. Drumstick is a zinc finger protein that antagonizes Lines to control patterning and morphogenesis of the Drosophila hindgut. Development. 2002;129:3645-56 pubmed..We have thus defined a pathway in which a spatially localized zinc finger protein antagonizes a globally expressed protein, thereby leading to specification of a domain (the small intestine) necessary for oriented cell rearrangement. ..
- Doyle H, Bishop J. Torso, a receptor tyrosine kinase required for embryonic pattern formation, shares substrates with the sevenless and EGF-R pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1993;7:633-46 pubmed..The phenotypes of several other Su(tor) mutations suggest that they also function in other receptor tyrosine kinase-activated pathways at different times during Drosophila development. ..
- Wu L, Lengyel J. Role of caudal in hindgut specification and gastrulation suggests homology between Drosophila amnioproctodeal invagination and vertebrate blastopore. Development. 1998;125:2433-42 pubmed..it does not play a significant role in activating expression of the genes tailless, huckebein, brachyenteron and bowel. We argue that caudal and other genes expressed at the posterior of the Drosophila embryo (fork head, ..
- Wang L, Coulter D. bowel, an odd-skipped homolog, functions in the terminal pathway during Drosophila embryogenesis. EMBO J. 1996;15:3182-96 pubmed..We have characterized a zygotic gene, bowel, that was identified as a zinc finger homolog of the pair-rule segmentation gene odd-skipped...
- Ochoa Espinosa A, Yucel G, Kaplan L, Pare A, Pura N, Oberstein A, et al. The role of binding site cluster strength in Bicoid-dependent patterning in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4960-5 pubmed..We propose that the key design principle in AP patterning is the differential integration of positive and negative transcriptional information at the level of individual CRMs for each target gene. ..
- Goldstein R, Cook O, Dinur T, Pisanté A, Karandikar U, Bidwai A, et al. An eh1-like motif in odd-skipped mediates recruitment of Groucho and repression in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10711-20 pubmed..Our data suggest that phosphorylation of these phosphomeric residues, if it occurs, will down-regulate Groucho binding and therefore repression, providing a mechanism for posttranslational control of Groucho-mediated repression. ..
- Tena J, Neto A, de la Calle Mustienes E, Bras Pereira C, Casares F, Gomez Skarmeta J. Odd-skipped genes encode repressors that control kidney development. Dev Biol. 2007;301:518-31 pubmed..Our results highlight the evolutionary conserved involvement of Odd-skipped transcription factors in the development of kidneys. ..
- Li J, Li W. Drosophila gain-of-function mutant RTK torso triggers ectopic Dpp and STAT signaling. Genetics. 2003;164:247-58 pubmed..These results demonstrate an essential requirement of noncanonical signaling pathways for a persistently activated RTK to cause pathological defects in an organism. ..
- Nusinow D, Greenberg L, Hatini V. Reciprocal roles for bowl and lines in specifying the peripodial epithelium and the disc proper of the Drosophila wing primordium. Development. 2008;135:3031-41 pubmed publisher..The Lines protein destabilizes the nuclear protein Bowl in ectodermal structures...
- Greenberg L, Hatini V. Essential roles for lines in mediating leg and antennal proximodistal patterning and generating a stable Notch signaling interface at segment borders. Dev Biol. 2009;330:93-104 pubmed publisher..of proximal leg segments and governs the formation of these structures by destabilizing the nuclear protein Bowl. Across the presumptive tarsus, lines modulates the opposing expression landscapes of the leg gap gene dachshund (..
- Iwaki D, Johansen K, Singer J, Lengyel J. drumstick, bowl, and lines are required for patterning and cell rearrangement in the Drosophila embryonic hindgut. Dev Biol. 2001;240:611-26 pubmed..At least three genes encoding putative transcriptional regulators, drumstick (drm), bowl, and lines (lin), are required to establish normal hindgut morphology...
- de Belle J, Sokolowski M, Hilliker A. Genetic analysis of the foraging microregion of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 1993;36:94-101 pubmed..All lethal mutations in for resulted in an altered behavioural phenotype providing evidence that both vital and behavioural functions are encoded by for. ..
- Nikulova A, Favorov A, Sutormin R, Makeev V, Mironov A. CORECLUST: identification of the conserved CRM grammar together with prediction of gene regulation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:e93 pubmed publisher..Compared with related methods, CORECLUST shows better performance at identification of CRMs conferring muscle-specific gene expression in vertebrates and early-developmental CRMs in Drosophila. ..
- Bras Pereira C, Casares F. An antennal-specific role for bowl in repressing supernumerary appendage development in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2008;125:809-21 pubmed publisher..Still few such mechanisms have been uncovered. During leg development, bowl, a member of the odd-skipped gene family, has been shown to participate in the formation of the leg segmental ..
- Campbell G. Regulation of gene expression in the distal region of the Drosophila leg by the Hox11 homolog, C15. Dev Biol. 2005;278:607-18 pubmed..This results in upregulation of Notch signaling, which induces expression of the bowl gene, the product of which represses ap.
- Johansen K, Green R, Iwaki D, Hernandez J, Lengyel J. The Drm-Bowl-Lin relief-of-repression hierarchy controls fore- and hindgut patterning and morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2003;120:1139-51 pubmed..in addition to their roles in patterning and morphogenesis of the hindgut, the Drosophila genes drumstick (drm) and bowl are required in the foregut for spatially localized gene expression and the morphogenetic processes that form the ..