Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bol
Alias: BOL, BcDNA:AT13332, Bol, Boule, CG4727, CG4760, Dmel\CG4760, lincRNA.485, ms(3)07272, boule, CG4760-PA, CG4760-PB, CG4760-PC, CG4760-PD, CG4760-PE, CG4760-PF, CG4760-PG, bol-PA, bol-PB, bol-PC, bol-PD, bol-PE, bol-PF, bol-PG
Species: fruit fly
- Franklin Dumont T, Chatterjee C, Wasserman S, Dinardo S. A novel eIF4G homolog, Off-schedule, couples translational control to meiosis and differentiation in Drosophila spermatocytes. Development. 2007;134:2851-61 pubmed..The accumulation of four cell cycle regulators--Cyclin A, Boule, Twine and Roughex--is altered in these mutants, indicating that ofs reveals a novel branch of the pathway ..
- Wang Z, Mann R. Requirement for two nearly identical TGIF-related homeobox genes in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Development. 2003;130:2853-65 pubmed
- White Cooper H, Schafer M, Alphey L, Fuller M. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional control mechanisms coordinate the onset of spermatid differentiation with meiosis I in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:125-34 pubmed..We suggest that a gene or genes transcribed under the control of can, mia and sa allow(s) accumulation of twine protein, thus coordinating meiotic division with onset of spermatid differentiation. ..
- Starz Gaiano M, Lehmann R. Moving towards the next generation. Mech Dev. 2001;105:5-18 pubmed..Here we review findings from Drosophila, zebrafish, and mouse; each organism provides unique insight into the mechanisms that determine germ cell fate and the cues that may guide their migration. ..
- Sardet C, Prodon F, Dumollard R, Chang P, Chenevert J. Structure and function of the egg cortex from oogenesis through fertilization. Dev Biol. 2002;241:1-23 pubmed
- Lu C, Kim J, Fuller M. The polyubiquitin gene Ubi-p63E is essential for male meiotic cell cycle progression and germ cell differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:3522-31 pubmed publisher..at the G2/M transition of meiosis I, with lack of protein expression of the key meiotic cell cycle regulators Boule and Cyclin B...
- Santel A, Winhauer T, Blumer N, Renkawitz Pohl R. The Drosophila don juan (dj) gene encodes a novel sperm specific protein component characterized by an unusual domain of a repetitive amino acid motif. Mech Dev. 1997;64:19-30 pubmed..With regard to the characteristic expression pattern of DJ protein and its conspicuous repeat units possible functional roles are discussed. ..
- Arya G, Lodico M, Ahmad O, Amin R, Tomkiel J. Molecular characterization of teflon, a gene required for meiotic autosome segregation in male Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2006;174:125-34 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these findings, we propose a role for Tef as a bridging molecule that holds autosome bivalents together via heterochromatic connections...
- Kwon S, Xiao H, Wu C, Badenhorst P. Alternative splicing of NURF301 generates distinct NURF chromatin remodeling complexes with altered modified histone binding specificities. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000574 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that variants of the NURF ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complex that recognize post-translational histone modifications are important regulators of primary spermatocyte differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Burgoyne P. Fruit(less) flies provide a clue. Nature. 1996;381:740-1 pubmed
- Xu S, Tyagi S, Schedl P. Spermatid cyst polarization in Drosophila depends upon apkc and the CPEB family translational regulator orb2. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004380 pubmed publisher..One of the orb2 targets in this process is its own mRNA. Moreover, the proper execution of this orb2 autoregulatory pathway depends upon apkc. ..
- Moon S, Cho B, Min S, Lee D, Chung Y. The THO complex is required for nucleolar integrity in Drosophila spermatocytes. Development. 2011;138:3835-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggests that the Drosophila THO complex is necessary for proper spermatogenesis by contribution to the establishment or maintenance of nucleolar integrity rather than by nuclear mRNA export in spermatocytes...
- Tuxworth R, Chen H, Vivancos V, Carvajal N, Huang X, Tear G. The Batten disease gene CLN3 is required for the response to oxidative stress. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2037-47 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that the lack of CLN3 function leads to a failure to manage the response to oxidative stress and this may be the key deficit in JNCL that leads to neuronal degeneration. ..
- Chen H, Liu Z, Huang X. Drosophila models of peroxisomal biogenesis disorder: peroxins are required for spermatogenesis and very-long-chain fatty acid metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:494-505 pubmed publisher..Together our study reveals an indispensable function of pex genes during spermatogenesis and provides a causative link between the phenotypic severity of pex mutants and VLCFA levels...
- Rautureau G, Jouvensal L, Vovelle F, Schoentgen F, Locker D, Decoville M. Expression and characterization of the PEBP homolog genes from Drosophila. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2009;71:55-69 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, by comparing structural parameters of the six PEBP proteins with those of human PEBP-1, we have established that PEBP CG10298 is most closely related to human PEBP. ..
- Xu E, Lee D, Klebes A, Turek P, Kornberg T, Reijo Pera R. Human BOULE gene rescues meiotic defects in infertile flies. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:169-75 pubmed..Here, we investigated the micro- and macro-evolution of the BOULE gene, a member of the human DAZ (deleted in azoospermia) gene family, within primates, within mammals and within ..
- Choe K, Werner T, Stoven S, Hultmark D, Anderson K. Requirement for a peptidoglycan recognition protein (PGRP) in Relish activation and antibacterial immune responses in Drosophila. Science. 2002;296:359-62 pubmed
- Haynes S, Cooper M, Pype S, Stolow D. Involvement of a tissue-specific RNA recognition motif protein in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2708-15 pubmed
- Munier A, Medzhitov R, Janeway C, Doucet D, Capovilla M, Lagueux M. graal: a Drosophila gene coding for several mosaic serine proteases. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;34:1025-35 pubmed..However, no phenotype could be observed consecutive to the absence of graal full length transcripts, particularly in the context of an immune challenge. ..
- Joiner M, Wu C. Nervous system function for the testis RNA-binding protein boule in Drosophila. J Neurogenet. 2004;18:341-63 pubmedThe RNA-binding protein, Boule is conserved across species and is required for male fertility. Boule and the DAZ homologues in mice and humans appear specific to the testis...
- Houston D, Zhang J, Maines J, Wasserman S, King M. A Xenopus DAZ-like gene encodes an RNA component of germ plasm and is a functional homologue of Drosophila boule. Development. 1998;125:171-80 pubmed..DAZ-like), encodes a protein homologous to human DAZ (Deleted in Azoospermia), vertebrate DAZL and Drosophila Boule proteins...
- Wylie C. Germ cells. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2000;10:410-3 pubmed
- Vasudevan S, Seli E, Steitz J. Metazoan oocyte and early embryo development program: a progression through translation regulatory cascades. Genes Dev. 2006;20:138-46 pubmed
- El Sharnouby S, Redhouse J, White R. Genome-wide and cell-specific epigenetic analysis challenges the role of polycomb in Drosophila spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003842 pubmed publisher..The lack of Polycomb at tTAF-dependent spermatogenesis genes in precursor cells argues against a model where Polycomb displacement is the mechanism of spermatogenesis gene activation. ..