Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bmm
Alias: ATGL, Atgl, BMM, Bmm, CG5295, Dmel\CG5295, brummer, CG5295-PA, CG5295-PB, adipocyte triglyceride lipase, bmm-PA, bmm-PB, brummer lipase
Species: fruit fly
- Thimgan M, Suzuki Y, Seugnet L, Gottschalk L, Shaw P. The perilipin homologue, lipid storage droplet 2, regulates sleep homeostasis and prevents learning impairments following sleep loss. PLoS Biol. 2010;8: pubmed publisher..Recently, two genes, brummer (bmm) and Lipid storage droplet 2 (Lsd2), have been shown to modulate the response to starvation...
- Palm W, Sampaio J, Brankatschk M, Carvalho M, Mahmoud A, Shevchenko A, et al. Lipoproteins in Drosophila melanogaster--assembly, function, and influence on tissue lipid composition. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002828 pubmed publisher..These studies define major routes of interorgan lipid transport in Drosophila and uncover surprising tissue-specific differences in lipoprotein lipid utilization...
- Baumbach J, Xu Y, Hehlert P, Kühnlein R. G?q, G?1 and Plc21C control Drosophila body fat storage. J Genet Genomics. 2014;41:283-92 pubmed publisher..the iCa(2+) of fat body cells and the expression profile of the lipid metabolism effector genes midway and brummer, which results in severely obese or lean flies...
- Bauer R, Voelzmann A, Breiden B, Schepers U, Farwanah H, Hahn I, et al. Schlank, a member of the ceramide synthase family controls growth and body fat in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2009;28:3706-16 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our studies of schlank and the mammalian Lass2 family member suggest a novel role for ceramide synthases in regulating body fat metabolism. ..
- Brooks A, Yang L, Duff M, Hansen K, Park J, Dudoit S, et al. Conservation of an RNA regulatory map between Drosophila and mammals. Genome Res. 2011;21:193-202 pubmed publisher..This observation suggests that the regulatory codes of individual RNA binding proteins may be nearly immutable, yet the regulatory modules controlled by these proteins are highly evolvable. ..
- Tsuda Sakurai K, Seong K, Horiuchi J, Aigaki T, Tsuda M. Identification of a novel role for Drosophila MESR4 in lipid metabolism. Genes Cells. 2015;20:358-65 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that MESR4 acts as an important upstream regulator of energy homeostasis. ..
- Hentze J, Carlsson M, Kondo S, NÃ¤ssel D, Rewitz K. The Neuropeptide Allatostatin A Regulates Metabolism and Feeding Decisions in Drosophila. Sci Rep. 2015;5:11680 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that AstA is involved in assigning value to these nutrients to coordinate metabolic and feeding decisions, responses that are important to balance food intake according to metabolic needs. ..
- Kory N, Thiam A, Farese R, Walther T. Protein Crowding Is a Determinant of Lipid Droplet Protein Composition. Dev Cell. 2015;34:351-63 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the LD binding affinity determines protein localization during lipolysis. Our findings identify protein crowding as an important principle in determining LD protein composition. ..
- Cordonier E, Adjam R, Teixeira D, Onur S, Zbasnik R, Read P, et al. Resveratrol compounds inhibit human holocarboxylase synthetase and cause a lean phenotype in Drosophila melanogaster. J Nutr Biochem. 2015;26:1379-84 pubmed publisher..HLCS inhibitors had meaningful effects on body fat mass. When Drosophila melanogaster brummer mutants, which are genetically predisposed to storing excess amounts of lipids, were fed diets enriched with ..
- Men T, Thanh D, Yamaguchi M, Suzuki T, Hattori G, Arii M, et al. A Drosophila Model for Screening Antiobesity Agents. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:6293163 pubmed publisher..The brummer (bmm) gene in Drosophila melanogaster is known to be homologous with human adipocyte triglyceride lipase, which is related to the regulation of lipid storage...
- Chen K, Lin G, Haelterman N, Ho T, Li T, Li Z, et al. Loss of Frataxin induces iron toxicity, sphingolipid synthesis, and Pdk1/Mef2 activation, leading to neurodegeneration. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that an iron/sphingolipid/Pdk1/Mef2 pathway may play a role in FRDA. ..
- Buescher J, Musselman L, Wilson C, Lang T, Keleher M, Baranski T, et al. Evidence for transgenerational metabolic programming in Drosophila. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:1123-32 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that nutritional programming mechanisms could be highly conserved and support the use of Drosophila as a model for evaluating the underlying genetic and epigenetic contributions to this phenomenon. ..
- Thiel K, Heier C, Haberl V, Thul P, Oberer M, Lass A, et al. The evolutionarily conserved protein CG9186 is associated with lipid droplets, required for their positioning and for fat storage. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:2198-212 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that we identified the first members of a novel and evolutionarily conserved family of lipid storage regulators, which are also required to properly position LDs within cells. ..
- Chien C, Chen W, Wu J, Chang T. Investigation of lipid homeostasis in living Drosophila by coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2012;17:126001 pubmed publisher..By overexpressing two lipid regulatory proteins--Brummer lipase (Bmm) and lipid storage droplet-2 (Lsd-2)--we found different phenotypes and responses under fed and starved ..
- Banerjee K, Ayyub C, Sengupta S, Kolthur Seetharam U. dSir2 deficiency in the fatbody, but not muscles, affects systemic insulin signaling, fat mobilization and starvation survival in flies. Aging (Albany NY). 2012;4:206-23 pubmed..In conclusion, these findings highlight the central role that fatbody dSir2 plays in linking metabolism to organismal physiology and its importance for survival...
- Tian Y, Bi J, Shui G, Liu Z, Xiang Y, Liu Y, et al. Tissue-autonomous function of Drosophila seipin in preventing ectopic lipid droplet formation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001364 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have demonstrated a tissue-autonomous role of dSeipin in ectopic lipid storage in lipodystrophy. ..
- Sato Miyata Y, Muramatsu K, Funakoshi M, Tsuda M, Aigaki T. Overexpression of dilp2 causes nutrient-dependent semi-lethality in Drosophila. Front Physiol. 2014;5:147 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that excess insulin/IGF signaling impairs the physiology of animals, which can be ameliorated by controlling the nutritional balance between proteins and carbohydrates, at least in flies. ..
- Murugesan S, Goldberg E, Dou E, Brown W. Identification of diverse lipid droplet targeting motifs in the PNPLA family of triglyceride lipases. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64950 pubmed publisher..Analyses of additional mutants in ATGL, PNPLA5, and Brummer Lipase, the Drosophila homolog of mammalian ATGL, identified two different types of LTMs...
- Ballard S, Jarolimova J, Wharton K. Gbb/BMP signaling is required to maintain energy homeostasis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2010;337:375-85 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results implicate Gbb/BMP signaling as a new pathway critical for positive regulation of nutrient storage and energy homeostasis during development. ..
- Teleman A, Chen Y, Cohen S. Drosophila Melted modulates FOXO and TOR activity. Dev Cell. 2005;9:271-81 pubmed..We provide evidence that in the melted mutant, TOR activity is reduced and FOXO is activated. The melted mutant condition mimics the effects of nutrient deprivation in a normal animal, producing an animal with 40% less fat than normal. ..
- Ivanov D, Escott Price V, Ziehm M, Magwire M, Mackay T, Partridge L, et al. Longevity GWAS Using the Drosophila Genetic Reference Panel. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2015;70:1470-8 pubmed publisher..This analysis suggests that our understanding of the genetic basis of natural variation in lifespan from induced mutations is incomplete. ..
- Wang B, Moya N, Niessen S, Hoover H, Mihaylova M, Shaw R, et al. A hormone-dependent module regulating energy balance. Cell. 2011;145:596-606 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a hormone-regulated pathway that functions in parallel with the nutrient-sensing SIRT1 pathway to maintain energy balance. ..