Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: BicC
Description: Bicaudal C
Alias: BG:DS00913.2, BICC, Bic-C, CG4824, Dmel\CG4824, Dromel_CG4824_FBtr0080804_bicc_mORF, br34, l(2)br34, bicaudal C, BicC-PA, BicC-PB, BicC-PD, Bicaudal-C, CG4824-PA, CG4824-PB, CG4824-PD
Species: fruit fly
- Mahone M, Saffman E, Lasko P. Localized Bicaudal-C RNA encodes a protein containing a KH domain, the RNA binding motif of FMR1. EMBO J. 1995;14:2043-55 pubmed..Alteration of a highly conserved KH domain codon by mutation abrogates in vivo Bic-C function. These results suggest roles for the Bic-C protein in localizing RNAs and in intercellular signaling. ..
- Markesich D, Gajewski K, Nazimiec M, Beckingham K. bicaudal encodes the Drosophila beta NAC homolog, a component of the ribosomal translational machinery*. Development. 2000;127:559-72 pubmed..These findings suggest that repression of nanos mRNA translation occurs on the ribosome and involves a role for beta NAC. ..
- Styhler S, Nakamura A, Lasko P. VASA localization requires the SPRY-domain and SOCS-box containing protein, GUSTAVUS. Dev Cell. 2002;3:865-76 pubmed..Therefore, GUS is essential for the posterior localization of VAS. However, gus is not required for the posterior localization of oskar (osk). Apparent gus orthologs are present in mammalian genomes. ..
- Fambrough D, Goodman C. The Drosophila beaten path gene encodes a novel secreted protein that regulates defasciculation at motor axon choice points. Cell. 1996;87:1049-58 pubmed..Rescue and ectopic expression experiments support the model that Beat protein is secreted by motor axons where it functions to regulate their selective defasciculation at specific choice points. ..
- Gamberi C, Lasko P. The Bic-C family of developmental translational regulators. Comp Funct Genomics. 2012;2012:141386 pubmed publisher..Among these, Bicaudal C constitutes a family of RNA binding proteins whose founding member was first identified in Drosophila and ..
- McDermott S, Meignin C, Rappsilber J, Davis I. Drosophila Syncrip binds the gurken mRNA localisation signal and regulates localised transcripts during axis specification. Biol Open. 2012;1:488-97 pubmed publisher..We propose that Syncrip/SYNCRIP is part of a conserved complex associated with localised transcripts and required for their correct translational regulation in flies and mammals. ..
- Kugler J, Woo J, Oh B, Lasko P. Regulation of Drosophila vasa in vivo through paralogous cullin-RING E3 ligase specificity receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1769-82 pubmed publisher..We propose that Fsn- and Gus-containing E3 ligase complexes contribute to establishing a fine-tuned steady state of Vasa ubiquitination that influences the kinetics of posterior Vasa deployment. ..
- Nakamura A, Amikura R, Mukai M, Kobayashi S, Lasko P. Requirement for a noncoding RNA in Drosophila polar granules for germ cell establishment. Science. 1996;274:2075-9 pubmed..These results support an essential role for Pgc RNA in germline development. ..
- Thomsen S, Anders S, Janga S, Huber W, Alonso C. Genome-wide analysis of mRNA decay patterns during early Drosophila development. Genome Biol. 2010;11:R93 pubmed publisher..Our data also provide a valuable resource for further experimental and computational studies investigating the process of mRNA decay. ..
- Grau Y, Carteret C, Simpson P. Mutations and Chromosomal Rearrangements Affecting the Expression of Snail, a Gene Involved in Embryonic Patterning in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1984;108:347-60 pubmed..It is concluded that the products of all of these genes function together in the process of specification of pattern in the embryo. ..
- Lasko P. Cell-cell signalling, microtubule organization and RNA localization: is PKA a link?. Bioessays. 1995;17:105-7 pubmed..These and other results support a model for anterior-posterior axis establishment which involves intercellular signalling between the oocyte and certain neighbouring somatic cells. ..
- Gamberi C, Hipfner D, Trudel M, Lubell W. Bicaudal C mutation causes myc and TOR pathway up-regulation and polycystic kidney disease-like phenotypes in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006694 pubmed publisher..Drosophila mutants lacking the translational regulator Bicaudal C (BicC, the fly ortholog of vertebrate BICC1 implicated in renal cystogenesis) exhibited progressive cystic ..
- Nüsslein Volhard C. The bicoid morphogen papers (I): account from CNV. Cell. 2004;116:S1-5, 2 p following S9 pubmed
- Gubb D, Roote J, Trenear J, Coulson D, Ashburner M. Topological constraints on transvection between white genes within the transposing element TE35B in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;146:919-37 pubmed..Similarly, breakpoints immediately proximal or distal to both w genes give partial suppression. This transvection-dependent downregulation of w genes may result from mis-activation of the X-chromosome dosage compensation mechanism...
- Cui J, Sackton K, Horner V, Kumar K, Wolfner M. Wispy, the Drosophila homolog of GLD-2, is required during oogenesis and egg activation. Genetics. 2008;178:2017-29 pubmed publisher..Finally, we find that WISP function is also needed during oogenesis to regulate the poly(A) tail length of dmos during oocyte maturation and to maintain a high level of active (phospho-) mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs). ..
- Tran D, Berg C. bullwinkle and shark regulate dorsal-appendage morphogenesis in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2003;130:6273-82 pubmed..Candidate testing implicates Src42A in a similar role, suggesting conservation with a vertebrate signaling pathway involving non-receptor tyrosine kinases. ..
- Kelley R, Kuroda M. The Drosophila roX1 RNA gene can overcome silent chromatin by recruiting the male-specific lethal dosage compensation complex. Genetics. 2003;164:565-74 pubmed..The potency with which an ectopic MSL complex overcomes silent chromatin suggests that its normal action on the X must be under strict regulation. ..
- Lasko P, Ashburner M. Posterior localization of vasa protein correlates with, but is not sufficient for, pole cell development. Genes Dev. 1990;4:905-21 pubmed..These results are discussed with respect to the multiple functions of the vasa gene. ..
- Leemans R, Loop T, Egger B, He H, Kammermeier L, Hartmann B, et al. Identification of candidate downstream genes for the homeodomain transcription factor Labial in Drosophila through oligonucleotide-array transcript imaging. Genome Biol. 2001;2:RESEARCH0015 pubmed..Our results identify a number of novel candidate downstream target genes for Labial, suggesting that this homeoprotein differentially regulates a limited and distinct set of embryonically expressed Drosophila genes. ..
- Grams R, Korge G. The mub gene encodes a protein containing three KH domains and is expressed in the mushroom bodies of Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 1998;215:191-201 pubmed..Null mutants of the mub gene do not exhibit a visible mutant phenotype. We speculate, therefore, that the mub gene is involved in learning and memory processes. ..
- Ivshina M, Lasko P, Richter J. Cytoplasmic polyadenylation element binding proteins in development, health, and disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2014;30:393-415 pubmed publisher..We review the biochemical features of the CPEB proteins, discuss their activities in several biological systems, and illustrate how understanding CPEB activity in model organisms has an important impact on neurological disease. ..
- Eberl D, Ren D, Feng G, Lorenz L, Van Vactor D, Hall L. Genetic and developmental characterization of Dmca1D, a calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;148:1159-69 pubmed..Those that do eclose have difficulty in fluid-filling of the wings. These studies show that this member of the calcium channel alpha1 subunit gene family plays a nonredundant, vital role in larvae and adults. ..