Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bgcn
Description: benign gonial cell neoplasm
Alias: BGCN, Bgcn, CG10330, CG10331, CG30170, Dmel\CG30170, PNBP, b(2)cgn, b(2)gcn, bcgn, ben(2)gcn, cg10331, fs(2)eo-C, fs(2)eo6, fs(2)eoQS2, gcn, pep, benign gonial cell neoplasm, CG30170-PA, CG30170-PB, benign gonial, benign gonial cell neoplasia, benign-(2)-gonial-cell-neoplasm, bgcn-PA, bgcn-PB, cell neoplasm, gonial-cell-neoplasm, peppercorn
Species: fruit fly
- Li Y, Minor N, Park J, McKearin D, Maines J. Bam and Bgcn antagonize Nanos-dependent germ-line stem cell maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9304-9 pubmed publisher..Previous evidence showed that Bgcn is an obligate factor for the ability of Bam to drive differentiation, and we now report that Bam forms a complex ..
- GONCZY P, Matunis E, DiNardo S. bag-of-marbles and benign gonial cell neoplasm act in the germline to restrict proliferation during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Development. 1997;124:4361-71 pubmed..Mutations at two previously identified loci, bag-of-marbles (bam) and benign gonial cell neoplasm (bgcn), prevent progression through spermatogenesis and oogenesis, resulting in the overproliferation ..
- Shen R, Weng C, Yu J, Xie T. eIF4A controls germline stem cell self-renewal by directly inhibiting BAM function in the Drosophila ovary. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11623-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, BAM and BGCN together repress translation of E-cadherin through its 3' UTR in S2 cells...
- Lukacsovich T, Asztalos Z, Juni N, Awano W, Yamamoto D. The Drosophila melanogaster 60A chromosomal division is extremely dense with functional genes: their sequences, genomic organization, and expression. Genomics. 1999;57:43-56 pubmed..4 superfamily (TM4SF) gene, a new homeodomain gene, and a gene coding for a putative nuclear binding protein (PNBP) that is homologous to maleless, and a Copia-like element...
- Hong X, Doddapaneni H, Comeron J, Rodesch M, Halvensleben H, Nien C, et al. Microarray-based capture of novel expressed cell type-specific transfrags (CoNECT) to annotate tissue-specific transcription in Drosophila melanogaster. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:873-82 pubmed publisher..Ovary and testis isotigs over 200 bp have been deposited with the GenBank Transcriptome Shotgun Assembly Sequence Database as bioproject no.PRJNA89451 (accession nos. JV208106–JV230865). ..
- Gateff E, Wismar J, Habtemichael N, Löffler T, Dreschers S, Kaiser S, et al. Functional analysis of Drosophila developmental genes instrumental in tumor suppression. In Vivo. 1996;10:211-5 pubmed..blood neoplasm-1 [1(3)mbn-1], for whose function only vague predictions can be made; 4) benign (2) gonial cell neoplasm [b(2)gcn], which may function as a splice factor...
- Tokusumi T, Tokusumi Y, Hopkins D, Shoue D, Corona L, Schulz R. Germ line differentiation factor Bag of Marbles is a regulator of hematopoietic progenitor maintenance during Drosophila hematopoiesis. Development. 2011;138:3879-84 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that Bam and mir-7 antagonize the differentiation-promoting function of Yan to maintain the stem-like hematopoietic progenitor state during hematopoiesis. ..
- Vibranovski M. Meiotic sex chromosome inactivation in Drosophila. J Genomics. 2014;2:104-17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, conclusion about level, degree or precise timing is inadequate until new approaches are implemented to know the details of MSCI or other processes involved for D. melanogaster model. ..
- Gateff E, Kurzik Dumke U, Wismar J, Löffler T, Habtemichael N, Konrad L, et al. Drosophila differentiation genes instrumental in tumor suppression. Int J Dev Biol. 1996;40:149-56 pubmed..structure, expression and possible function of the following four tumor suppressor genes are discussed: tumorous imaginal disc, lethal (3) malignant brain tumor, lethal (3) malignant blood neoplasm-1 and benign (2) gonial cell neoplasm.
- Tian J, Jin Z, Xie T. Mathematical model for two germline stem cells competing for niche occupancy. Bull Math Biol. 2012;74:1207-25 pubmed publisher..The model predicts several qualitative features in the competition process, which may help to design rational experiments for a better understanding of the stem cell competition process. ..
- Monk A, Abud H, Hime G. Dmp53 is sequestered to nuclear bodies in spermatogonia of Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Tissue Res. 2012;350:385-94 pubmed publisher..Dmp53 thus has differential effects depending upon the stage of male germline maturation...
- Munn K, Steward R. The shut-down gene of Drosophila melanogaster encodes a novel FK506-binding protein essential for the formation of germline cysts during oogenesis. Genetics. 2000;156:245-56 pubmed..In plants, high-molecular-weight immunophilins have been shown to regulate cell divisions in the root meristem in response to extracellular signals. Our results suggest that shut-down may regulate germ cell divisions in the germarium. ..
- Jung A, Hollmann M, Schäfer M. The fatty acid elongase NOA is necessary for viability and has a somatic role in Drosophila sperm development. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2924-34 pubmed..An RNAi construct selectively driven in cyst cells leads to male sterility, demonstrating the necessity of noa function for male germline development and the interaction of the somatic cyst cells with the developing sperm. ..
- Chen D, Wu C, Zhao S, Geng Q, Gao Y, Li X, et al. Three RNA binding proteins form a complex to promote differentiation of germline stem cell lineage in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004797 pubmed publisher..Bam and Bgcn are both RBPs that have also been shown to repress mei-P26 expression...
- Ghosh S, Obrdlik A, Marchand V, Ephrussi A. The EJC binding and dissociating activity of PYM is regulated in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004455 pubmed publisher..This, together with the fact that the EJC-disassembly activity of DmPYM is regulated, implicates PYM as an effector of EJC homeostasis in vivo. ..
- Gilboa L, Forbes A, Tazuke S, Fuller M, Lehmann R. Germ line stem cell differentiation in Drosophila requires gap junctions and proceeds via an intermediate state. Development. 2003;130:6625-34 pubmed
- Wang X, Pan L, Wang S, Zhou J, McDowell W, Park J, et al. Histone H3K9 trimethylase Eggless controls germline stem cell maintenance and differentiation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002426 pubmed publisher..Normally, Bam and Bgcn interact with each other to promote GSC differentiation...
- Fu Z, Geng C, Wang H, Yang Z, Weng C, Li H, et al. Twin Promotes the Maintenance and Differentiation of Germline Stem Cell Lineage through Modulation of Multiple Pathways. Cell Rep. 2015;13:1366-1379 pubmed publisher..It promotes GSC progeny differentiation by forming protein complexes with differentiation factors Bam and Bgcn independently of other CCR4-NOT components...
- Matsui M, Sharma K, Cooke C, Wakimoto B, Rasool M, Hayworth M, et al. Nuclear structure and chromosome segregation in Drosophila male meiosis depend on the ubiquitin ligase dTopors. Genetics. 2011;189:779-93 pubmed publisher..We suggest that dtopors plays a structural role in spermatocyte lamina that is critical for multiple aspects of meiotic chromosome transmission. ..
- Vibranovski M, Lopes H, Karr T, Long M. Stage-specific expression profiling of Drosophila spermatogenesis suggests that meiotic sex chromosome inactivation drives genomic relocation of testis-expressed genes. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000731 pubmed publisher..These results suggest MSCI as a general mechanism affecting the evolution of some testis-expressed genes. ..
- Mahowald A, Wei G. Sex determination of germ cells in Drosophila. Ciba Found Symp. 1994;182:193-202; discussion 202-9 pubmed..g. ovo, otu) or differentiation (snf, Sxl, fl(2)d, bgcn) of female germ cells. ovo is required during embryogenesis for survival of pole cells...
- Sinenko S, Kim E, Wynn R, Manfruelli P, Ando I, Wharton K, et al. Yantar, a conserved arginine-rich protein is involved in Drosophila hemocyte development. Dev Biol. 2004;273:48-62 pubmed..Ytr function has been preserved in evolution as hematopoietic specific expression of the Drosophila or mouse Ytr proteins rescue the differentiation defects in mutant hemocytes. ..
- Baker J, Adhikarakunnathu S, Kernan M. Mechanosensory-defective, male-sterile unc mutants identify a novel basal body protein required for ciliogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:3411-22 pubmed..UNC is thus specifically required for normal ciliogenesis. Its localization is an early marker for the centriole-basal body transition, a central but enigmatic event in eukaryotic cell differentiation. ..
- Li Y, Zhang Q, Carreira Rosario A, Maines J, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Mei-p26 cooperates with Bam, Bgcn and Sxl to promote early germline development in the Drosophila ovary. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58301 pubmed publisher..Here we present data showing that Mei-P26 associates with Bam, Bgcn and Sxl and nanos mRNA during early cyst development, suggesting that this protein helps to repress the translation ..
- Gateff E, Mechler B. Tumor-suppressor genes of Drosophila melanogaster. Crit Rev Oncog. 1989;1:221-45 pubmed
- Parma D, Bennett P, Boswell R. Mago Nashi and Tsunagi/Y14, respectively, regulate Drosophila germline stem cell differentiation and oocyte specification. Dev Biol. 2007;308:507-19 pubmed..On the other hand, Tsunagi/Y14 is essential for restricting oocyte fate to a single cell and may function with mago nashi in this process. ..
- Bauer DuMont V, Flores H, Wright M, Aquadro C. Recurrent positive selection at bgcn, a key determinant of germ line differentiation, does not appear to be driven by simple coevolution with its partner protein bam. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:182-91 pubmed publisher..simulans were performed at 2 interacting loci crucial for gametogenesis: bag-of-marbles (bam) and benign gonial cell neoplasm (bgcn)...
- Flores H, Bubnell J, Aquadro C, Barbash D. The Drosophila bag of marbles Gene Interacts Genetically with Wolbachia and Shows Female-Specific Effects of Divergence. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005453 pubmed publisher..More generally, we suggest that microbial infections of the germline may explain the unexpected pattern of evolution of several GSC regulatory genes. ..
- Löffler T, Wismar J, Sass H, Miyamoto T, Becker G, Konrad L, et al. Genetic and molecular analysis of six tumor suppressor genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Environ Health Perspect. 1990;88:157-61 pubmed..The tumors show all major characteristics of malignant and benign neoplastic growth. Genomic sequences of four of the genes have been identified and are currently being characterized. ..
- Mechler B. The fruit fly Drosophila and the fish Xiphophorus as model systems for cancer studies. Cancer Surv. 1990;9:505-27 pubmed..This gene encodes a receptor tyrosine kinase related to the EGF-receptor, and its activation and overexpression are thought to play a critical part in melanoma formation. ..
- Perinthottathil S, Kim C. Bam and Bgcn in Drosophila germline stem cell differentiation. Vitam Horm. 2011;87:399-416 pubmed publisher..Bam/Bgcn complex plays a pivotal role in promoting stem cell differentiation...
- Spradling A, Drummond Barbosa D, Kai T. Stem cells find their niche. Nature. 2001;414:98-104 pubmed..These studies are beginning to unify our understanding of stem cell regulation at the cellular and molecular levels, and promise to advance efforts to use stem cells therapeutically. ..
- Lin H. The tao of stem cells in the germline. Annu Rev Genet. 1997;31:455-91 pubmed..In addition, the GSC mechanism is related to that for germline and sex determination. Current knowledge has provided a solid framework for further study of GSCs and stem cells in general. ..