Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bel
Alias: BEL, Bel, CG9748, DmRH6, Dmel\CG9748, anon-85Ab, cap, cg9748, l(3)85Ac, l(3)L3, l(3)L4740, l(3)S047110, l(3)S097074, ms(3)Pneo85A, ms(3)neo30, psg9, belle, CG9748-PA, CG9748-PB, bel-PA, bel-PB, capon, lethal (3) L4740, lethal (3) S047110
Species: fruit fly
- Cooley L, Berg C, Spradling A. Controlling P element insertional mutagenesis. Trends Genet. 1988;4:254-8 pubmed
- Doiguchi M, Nakagawa T, Imamura Y, Yoneda M, Higashi M, Kubota K, et al. SMARCAD1 is an ATP-dependent stimulator of nucleosomal H2A acetylation via CBP, resulting in transcriptional regulation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20179 pubmed publisher..The interplay between the remodeling activity of SMARCAD1 and histone acetylation by CBP sheds light on the function of chromatin and the genome-integrity network. ..
- Götze M, Dufourt J, Ihling C, Rammelt C, Pierson S, Sambrani N, et al. Translational repression of the Drosophila nanos mRNA involves the RNA helicase Belle and RNA coating by Me31B and Trailer hitch. RNA. 2017;23:1552-1568 pubmed publisher..As a novel component, the RNA-dependent ATPase Belle (DDX3) was found, and its involvement in deadenylation and repression of nanos was confirmed in vivo...
- Kotov A, Olenkina O, Kibanov M, Olenina L. RNA helicase Belle (DDX3) is essential for male germline stem cell maintenance and division in Drosophila. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1863:1093-105 pubmed publisherThe present study showed that RNA helicase Belle (DDX3) was required intrinsically for mitotic progression and survival of germline stem cells (GSCs) and spermatogonial cells in the Drosophila melanogaster testes...
- Yarunin A, Harris R, Ashe M, Ashe H. Patterning of the Drosophila oocyte by a sequential translation repression program involving the d4EHP and Belle translational repressors. RNA Biol. 2011;8:904-12 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the belle (bel) mRNA is translationally repressed by the d4EHP protein in the Drosophila ovary...
- Poulton J, Huang Y, Smith L, Sun J, Leake N, Schleede J, et al. The microRNA pathway regulates the temporal pattern of Notch signaling in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2011;138:1737-45 pubmed publisher..From a screen for modifiers of Notch signaling in Drosophila we have identified the RNA helicase Belle, a recently described component of the RNA interference pathway, as an important regulator of the timing of Notch ..
- Bradley S, Narayanan S, Rosbash M. NAT1/DAP5/p97 and atypical translational control in the Drosophila Circadian Oscillator. Genetics. 2012;192:943-57 pubmed publisher..It also dramatically reduced PER protein levels in pigment dispersing factor (PDF) neurons. BELLE (BEL) protein was also reduced by the NAT1 knockdown, presumably reflecting a role of NAT1 in belle mRNA ..
- Shimada Y, Burn K, Niwa R, Cooley L. Reversible response of protein localization and microtubule organization to nutrient stress during Drosophila early oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;355:250-62 pubmed publisher..This response implies a mechanism for preserving young egg chambers so that egg production can rapidly resume when nutrient availability improves. ..
- Pek J, Kai T. DEAD-box RNA helicase Belle/DDX3 and the RNA interference pathway promote mitotic chromosome segregation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12007-12 pubmed publisher..Here, we present evidence that belle (vasa paralog) and the RNA interference pathway regulate chromosome segregation in Drosophila somatic cells...
- Rolls M, Satoh D, Clyne P, Henner A, Uemura T, Doe C. Polarity and intracellular compartmentalization of Drosophila neurons. Neural Dev. 2007;2:7 pubmed..In addition, we track EB1-GFP dynamics and determine microtubules in axons and dendrites have opposite polarity. We conclude that Drosophila will be a powerful system to study the establishment and maintenance of neuronal compartments. ..
- Sapiro A, Ihry R, Buhr D, Konieczko K, Ives S, Engstrom A, et al. Rapid recombination mapping for high-throughput genetic screens in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:2313-9 pubmed publisher..By facilitating the rapid identification of mutated genes, our mapping strategy removes a primary obstacle to the widespread use of powerful chemical mutagenesis screens to understand fundamental biological phenomena. ..
- Link N, Chen P, Lu W, Pogue K, Chuong A, Mata M, et al. A collective form of cell death requires homeodomain interacting protein kinase. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:567-74 pubmed..Extra cells also persisted in other tissues, establishing a more generalized requirement for HIPK in the regulation of cell death and cell numbers. ..
- Lim S, Boyle P, Chinen M, Dale R, Lei E. Genome-wide localization of exosome components to active promoters and chromatin insulators in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:2963-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results reveal a novel positive relationship between exosome and chromatin insulators throughout the genome. ..
- Nashchekin D, Zhao J, Visa N, Daneholt B. A novel Ded1-like RNA helicase interacts with the Y-box protein ctYB-1 in nuclear mRNP particles and in polysomes. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14263-72 pubmed
- Miles W, Tschop K, Herr A, Ji J, Dyson N. Pumilio facilitates miRNA regulation of the E2F3 oncogene. Genes Dev. 2012;26:356-68 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that Pumilio-miRNA repression of E2F3 translation provides an important level of E2F regulation that is frequently abrogated in cancer cells. ..
- Kibanov M, Gvozdev V, Olenina L. Germ granules in spermatogenesis of Drosophila: Evidences of contribution to the piRNA silencing. Commun Integr Biol. 2012;5:130-3 pubmed publisher..In this mini-review, we analyze the recent published data about structure and functions of Drosophila male germ granules, and especially their involvement in the piRNA silencing pathway. ..
- Syrzycka M, McEachern L, Kinneard J, Prabhu K, Fitzpatrick K, Schulze S, et al. The pink gene encodes the Drosophila orthologue of the human Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome 5 (HPS5) gene. Genome. 2007;50:548-56 pubmed..Here we confirm this gene assignment, making pink the first eye colour gene in flies to be identified as a BLOC complex gene. ..
- Lo P, Huang Y, Poulton J, Leake N, Palmer W, Vera D, et al. RNA helicase Belle/DDX3 regulates transgene expression in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2016;412:57-70 pubmed publisherb>Belle (Bel), the Drosophila homolog of the yeast DEAD-box RNA helicase DED1 and human DDX3, has been shown to be required for oogenesis and femaleÂ fertility...
- Ulvila J, Parikka M, Kleino A, Sormunen R, Ezekowitz R, Kocks C, et al. Double-stranded RNA is internalized by scavenger receptor-mediated endocytosis in Drosophila S2 cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14370-5 pubmed..machinery, and three gene products previously unknown to be involved in RNAi in Drosophila: DEAD-box RNA helicase Belle, 26 S proteasome regulatory subunit 8 (Pros45), and clathrin heavy chain, a component of the endocytic machinery...
- Arkov A, Ramos A. Building RNA-protein granules: insight from the germline. Trends Cell Biol. 2010;20:482-90 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a widespread use of several protein motifs in germline development and further our understanding of other ribonucleoprotein structures, for example, processing bodies and neuronal granules. ..
- Irion U, Leptin M. Developmental and cell biological functions of the Drosophila DEAD-box protein abstrakt. Curr Biol. 1999;9:1373-81 pubmed..Abstrakt must affect processing of specific subsets of RNAs, suggesting that differential post-translational control during development is more common than previously suspected. ..