Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: bam
Description: bag of marbles
Alias: BAM, Bam, Bam-C, BamC, BamF, CG10422, Dmel\CG10422, alpha, fs(3)neo61, ham, bag of marbles, CG10422-PA, bag of marble, bag-of-marbles, bam-PA, transcript alpha
Species: fruit fly
- Jiang X, Xia L, Chen D, Yang Y, Huang H, Yang L, et al. Otefin, a nuclear membrane protein, determines the fate of germline stem cells in Drosophila via interaction with Smad complexes. Dev Cell. 2008;14:494-506 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we demonstrate that ote is required for the Dpp/BMP signaling pathway to silence bam transcription...
- Sheng X, Brawley C, MATUNIS E. Dedifferentiating spermatogonia outcompete somatic stem cells for niche occupancy in the Drosophila testis. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;5:191-203 pubmed publisher..Ectopically expressing the differentiation factor bag-of-marbles (Bam) removes germline stem cells from the niche...
- Singh S, Zhen W, Zheng Z, Wang H, Oh S, Liu W, et al. The Drosophila homolog of the human tumor suppressor gene BHD interacts with the JAK-STAT and Dpp signaling pathways in regulating male germline stem cell maintenance. Oncogene. 2006;25:5933-41 pubmed..These findings suggest that the BHD protein may regulate tumorigenesis through modulating stem cells in human. ..
- Flatt T, Min K, D Alterio C, Villa Cuesta E, Cumbers J, Lehmann R, et al. Drosophila germ-line modulation of insulin signaling and lifespan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6368-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that signals from the gonad regulate lifespan and modulate insulin sensitivity in the fly and that the gonadal regulation of aging is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Sheng X, Posenau T, Gumulak Smith J, Matunis E, Van Doren M, Wawersik M. Jak-STAT regulation of male germline stem cell establishment during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:335-44 pubmed publisher..These findings show that stem cell formation is closely linked to development of the stem cell niche, and suggest that Jak-STAT signaling is required for initial establishment of the GSC population in developing testes. ..
- Casanueva M, Ferguson E. Germline stem cell number in the Drosophila ovary is regulated by redundant mechanisms that control Dpp signaling. Development. 2004;131:1881-90 pubmed..The CB upregulates expression of the novel gene, bag of marbles (bam), which is necessary for germline differentiation...
- Leatherman J, Dinardo S. Germline self-renewal requires cyst stem cells and stat regulates niche adhesion in Drosophila testes. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:806-11 pubmed publisher..This work also reconciles key differences in GSC renewal between Drosophila testis and ovary niches, and highlights how a niche can coordinate the production of distinct lineages by having one stem cell type rely on a second. ..
- Cox D, Chao A, Lin H. piwi encodes a nucleoplasmic factor whose activity modulates the number and division rate of germline stem cells. Development. 2000;127:503-14 pubmed
- Jin Z, Kirilly D, Weng C, Kawase E, Song X, Smith S, et al. Differentiation-defective stem cells outcompete normal stem cells for niche occupancy in the Drosophila ovary. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;2:39-49 pubmed publisher..The differentiation-defective bam or bgcn mutant GSCs invade the niche space of neighboring wild-type GSCs and gradually push them out of the niche ..
- Kai T, Spradling A. An empty Drosophila stem cell niche reactivates the proliferation of ectopic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:4633-8 pubmed..Thus, empty niches can persist, signal incoming cells, and support ectopic proliferation. Similar events may underlie some disease states. ..
- Rhiner C, Diaz B, Portela M, Poyatos J, Fernández Ruíz I, López Gay J, et al. Persistent competition among stem cells and their daughters in the Drosophila ovary germline niche. Development. 2009;136:995-1006 pubmed publisher..Moreover, competitive interactions among stem cells may be relevant for the successful application of stem cell therapies in humans. ..
- Ables E, Drummond Barbosa D. Cyclin E controls Drosophila female germline stem cell maintenance independently of its role in proliferation by modulating responsiveness to niche signals. Development. 2013;140:530-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show unequivocally that the roles of CycE/Cdk2 in GSC division cycle regulation and GSC maintenance are separable, and thus potentially involve distinct sets of phosphorylation targets. ..
- Park J, Liu X, Strauss T, McKearin D, Liu Q. The miRNA pathway intrinsically controls self-renewal of Drosophila germline stem cells. Curr Biol. 2007;17:533-8 pubmed..Our study strongly suggests that miRNAs play an intrinsic, but not extrinsic, role in Drosophila female GSC self-renewal. ..
- Yang L, Chen D, Duan R, Xia L, Wang J, Qurashi A, et al. Argonaute 1 regulates the fate of germline stem cells in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:4265-72 pubmed..to previous observations of Piwi function in the maintenance of GSCs, we show that AGO1 is not required for bag of marbles (bam) silencing and probably acts downstream or parallel of bam in the regulation of GSC fate...
- Eliazer S, Shalaby N, Buszczak M. Loss of lysine-specific demethylase 1 nonautonomously causes stem cell tumors in the Drosophila ovary. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7064-9 pubmed publisher..The role of Lsd1 in regulating niche-specific signals may have important implications for understanding how disruption of its mammalian homolog contributes to cancer and metastasis. ..
- de Cuevas M, Spradling A. Morphogenesis of the Drosophila fusome and its implications for oocyte specification. Development. 1998;125:2781-9 pubmed..Based on these observations, we argue that the oocyte is specified at the first cyst division. ..
- Lu W, Casanueva M, Mahowald A, Kato M, Lauterbach D, Ferguson E. Niche-associated activation of rac promotes the asymmetric division of Drosophila female germline stem cells. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001357 pubmed publisher..We suggest that all adult stem cells likely employ multiple, independently acting mechanisms to ensure asymmetric division to maintain tissue homeostasis. ..
- Ni J, Zhou R, Czech B, Liu L, Holderbaum L, Yang Zhou D, et al. A genome-scale shRNA resource for transgenic RNAi in Drosophila. Nat Methods. 2011;8:405-7 pubmed publisher..We show that shRNAs, modeled on an endogenous microRNA, are extremely effective at silencing gene expression during oogenesis. We also describe our progress toward building a genome-wide shRNA resource. ..
- McKearin D, Ohlstein B. A role for the Drosophila bag-of-marbles protein in the differentiation of cystoblasts from germline stem cells. Development. 1995;121:2937-47 pubmed..Previous investigations have suggested that the Drosophila bag of marbles (bam) gene is required for the differentiation of germline stem cell daughters (cystoblasts) from the mother ..
- Pek J, Lim A, Kai T. Drosophila maelstrom ensures proper germline stem cell lineage differentiation by repressing microRNA-7. Dev Cell. 2009;17:417-24 pubmed publisher..spermatocytes, instead breaking down into ectopic GSCs and smaller cysts, due to a depletion of Bag-of-marbles (Bam) protein. Mael regulates Bam via repression of miR-7...
- Tastan O, Maines J, Li Y, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Drosophila ataxin 2-binding protein 1 marks an intermediate step in the molecular differentiation of female germline cysts. Development. 2010;137:3167-76 pubmed publisher..observed in the cytoplasm of 4-, 8- and 16-cell cysts, bridging the expression of the early differentiation factor Bam with late markers such as Orb, Rbp9 and Bruno encoded by arrest...
- Ohlstein B, Lavoie C, Vef O, Gateff E, McKearin D. The Drosophila cystoblast differentiation factor, benign gonial cell neoplasm, is related to DExH-box proteins and interacts genetically with bag-of-marbles. Genetics. 2000;155:1809-19 pubmed..Previously we have identified the bag-of-marbles (bam) gene as an intrinsic factor for cystoblast fate in Drosophila germline cells and shown that it requires active ..
- Zhao S, Chen D, Geng Q, Wang Z. The highly conserved LAMMER/CLK2 protein kinases prevent germ cell overproliferation in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;376:163-70 pubmed publisher..The timely accumulation of the pro-differentiation factor Bam has been shown to be central in this process...
- Brawley C, Matunis E. Regeneration of male germline stem cells by spermatogonial dedifferentiation in vivo. Science. 2004;304:1331-4 pubmed..Thus, in the appropriate microenvironment, transit-amplifying cells dedifferentiate, becoming functional stem cells during tissue regeneration. ..
- Lin H, Yue L, Spradling A. The Drosophila fusome, a germline-specific organelle, contains membrane skeletal proteins and functions in cyst formation. Development. 1994;120:947-56 pubmed..We identified the adducin-like hts product and alpha-spectrin as molecular components of fusomes, discovered a related structure in germline stem cells and documented ..
- Chen X, Lu C, Morillo Prado J, Eun S, Fuller M. Sequential changes at differentiation gene promoters as they become active in a stem cell lineage. Development. 2011;138:2441-50 pubmed publisher..Together, the action of the tMAC and tTAF cell type-specific chromatin and transcription machinery leads to loss of Polycomb and release of stalled Pol II from the terminal differentiation gene promoters, allowing robust transcription. ..
- Tulina N, Matunis E. Control of stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila spermatogenesis by JAK-STAT signaling. Science. 2001;294:2546-9 pubmed..We conclude that the support cells of the hub signal to adjacent stem cells by activation of the JAK-STAT pathway, thereby defining a niche for stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Xia L, Jia S, Huang S, Wang H, Zhu Y, Mu Y, et al. The Fused/Smurf complex controls the fate of Drosophila germline stem cells by generating a gradient BMP response. Cell. 2010;143:978-90 pubmed publisher..This signaling represses GSC differentiation by blocking the transcription of the differentiation factor Bam. Remarkably, bam transcription begins only one cell diameter away from the GSC in the daughter cystoblasts (CBs)...
- Wei G, Oliver B, Pauli D, Mahowald A. Evidence for sex transformation of germline cells in ovarian tumor mutants of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1994;161:318-20 pubmed..of male germline traits, we determined that partial germline sex transformation occurs in otu, snf, Sxlfs, and bam ovarian tumors. Thus these genes are likely to be required for proper establishment of germline sexual identity.
- Chau J, Kulnane L, Salz H. Sex-lethal facilitates the transition from germline stem cell to committed daughter cell in the Drosophila ovary. Genetics. 2009;182:121-32 pubmed publisher..markers, which, remarkably, are also misexpressed in ovarian tumors that arise from the loss of bag of marbles (bam)...
- Li Y, Maines J, Tastan O, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Mei-P26 regulates the maintenance of ovarian germline stem cells by promoting BMP signaling. Development. 2012;139:1547-56 pubmed publisher..of the BMP pathway within GSCs results in the transcriptional repression of the differentiation factor bag of marbles (bam)...
- Lantz V, Chang J, Horabin J, Bopp D, Schedl P. The Drosophila orb RNA-binding protein is required for the formation of the egg chamber and establishment of polarity. Genes Dev. 1994;8:598-613 pubmed..It then functions in the differentiation of the oocyte and is required for the three-dimensional reorganization of the germ cells in the cyst as well as for the establishment of normal germ-line-soma interactions in the egg chamber. ..
- Hayashi Y, Kobayashi S, Nakato H. Drosophila glypicans regulate the germline stem cell niche. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:473-80 pubmed publisher..We propose that HSPGs define the physical space of the niche by serving as trans coreceptors, mediating short-range signaling by secreted factors. ..
- Tran J, Brenner T, DiNardo S. Somatic control over the germline stem cell lineage during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Nature. 2000;407:754-7 pubmed..Finally, raf is required in somatic cells that surround germ cells. We conclude that a cell-extrinsic mechanism regulates germline stem cell behaviour. ..
- Xie T, Spradling A. decapentaplegic is essential for the maintenance and division of germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Cell. 1998;94:251-60 pubmed..We constructed mutant germline stem cell clones to show that the dpp signal is directly received by germline stem cells. Thus, dpp signaling helps define a niche that controls germline stem cell proliferation. ..
- Gancz D, Lengil T, Gilboa L. Coordinated regulation of niche and stem cell precursors by hormonal signaling. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001202 pubmed publisher..ecdysone signaling initiates PGC differentiation by allowing the expression of the differentiation gene bag of marbles in PGCs that are not protected by the newly formed niches...
- Wang X, Harris R, Bayston L, Ashe H. Type IV collagens regulate BMP signalling in Drosophila. Nature. 2008;455:72-7 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our findings that human type IV collagen binds BMP4, we predict that this role of type IV collagens will be conserved. ..
- Cheng J, Turkel N, Hemati N, Fuller M, Hunt A, Yamashita Y. Centrosome misorientation reduces stem cell division during ageing. Nature. 2008;456:599-604 pubmed publisher..We also show that some of the misoriented GSCs probably originate from dedifferentiation of spermatogonia. ..
- Casper A, Van Doren M. The control of sexual identity in the Drosophila germline. Development. 2006;133:2783-91 pubmed..Here, we explore how sexual identity is established in the Drosophila germline, how this affects other aspects of germ cell development and what studies in Drosophila can teach us about mammalian germ cells. ..
- Shivdasani A, Ingham P. Regulation of stem cell maintenance and transit amplifying cell proliferation by tgf-beta signaling in Drosophila spermatogenesis. Curr Biol. 2003;13:2065-72 pubmed..We further demonstrate that TGF-beta signaling represses the expression of the Bam protein, which is both necessary and sufficient for germ cell differentiation, thereby maintaining germ line stem ..
- Song X, Wong M, Kawase E, Xi R, Ding B, McCarthy J, et al. Bmp signals from niche cells directly repress transcription of a differentiation-promoting gene, bag of marbles, in germline stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2004;131:1353-64 pubmed..The niche for germline stem cells (GSCs) provides a Dpp/Bmp signal, which is essential for GSC maintenance. bam is both necessary and sufficient for the differentiation of immediate GSC daughters, cystoblasts...
- Meiklejohn C, Landeen E, Cook J, Kingan S, Presgraves D. Sex chromosome-specific regulation in the Drosophila male germline but little evidence for chromosomal dosage compensation or meiotic inactivation. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001126 pubmed publisher..These findings help to resolve several previously conflicting reports and have implications for patterns of genome evolution and speciation in Drosophila...
- Jin Z, Xie T. Dcr-1 maintains Drosophila ovarian stem cells. Curr Biol. 2007;17:539-44 pubmed..b>bag of marbles (bam), the gene that encodes an important differentiating factor in the Drosophila germline, however, is not ..
- Deng X, Hiatt J, Nguyen D, Ercan S, Sturgill D, Hillier L, et al. Evidence for compensatory upregulation of expressed X-linked genes in mammals, Caenorhabditis elegans and Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2011;43:1179-85 pubmed publisher..elegans and Drosophila. Our analyses, which take into account the skewed gene content of the X chromosome, support the hypothesis of upregulation of expressed X-linked genes to balance expression of the genome. ..
- Li Y, Zhang Q, Carreira Rosario A, Maines J, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Mei-p26 cooperates with Bam, Bgcn and Sxl to promote early germline development in the Drosophila ovary. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58301 pubmed publisher..Here we present data showing that Mei-P26 associates with Bam, Bgcn and Sxl and nanos mRNA during early cyst development, suggesting that this protein helps to repress the ..
- McKearin D, Spradling A. bag-of-marbles: a Drosophila gene required to initiate both male and female gametogenesis. Genes Dev. 1990;4:2242-51 pubmed..We identified and characterized a gene, bag-of-marbles (bam), that disrupts cyst formation in both sexes...
- Chang Y, Pi H, Hsieh C, Fuller M. Smurf-mediated differential proteolysis generates dynamic BMP signaling in germline stem cells during Drosophila testis development. Dev Biol. 2013;383:106-20 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our work reveals a critical role for differential attenuation of the response to BMP signaling in GSCs and early germ cells for control of germ cell number and gonad growth during development. ..
- Zhao R, Xuan Y, Li X, Xi R. Age-related changes of germline stem cell activity, niche signaling activity and egg production in Drosophila. Aging Cell. 2008;7:344-54 pubmed publisher..We suggest that niche functional decay may be an important mechanism for stem cell aging and system failure. ..
- Decotto E, Spradling A. The Drosophila ovarian and testis stem cell niches: similar somatic stem cells and signals. Dev Cell. 2005;9:501-10 pubmed..These observations reveal striking similarities in the stem cell niches of male and female gonads, and suggest that they are largely governed by common mechanisms. ..
- Leatherman J, Dinardo S. Zfh-1 controls somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila testis and nonautonomously influences germline stem cell self-renewal. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:44-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, germline-intrinsic STAT activation was insufficient for GSC renewal. These data reveal unexpected complexity in cell interactions in the niche, implicating CPCs in GSC self-renewal. ..
- Kim J, Lee Y, Kim C. Direct inhibition of Pumilo activity by Bam and Bgcn in Drosophila germ line stem cell differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4741-6 pubmed publisher..translational repressor Pumilio (Pum) in conjunction with Nanos (Nos) is required for self-renewal, whereas Bam (bag-of-marbles) and Bgcn (benign gonial cell neoplasm) promote differentiation of germ line stem cells in the ..
- Hsu H, LaFever L, Drummond Barbosa D. Diet controls normal and tumorous germline stem cells via insulin-dependent and -independent mechanisms in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2008;313:700-12 pubmed..Moreover, the retained ability of GSC tumors to respond to diet parallels the long known connections between diet, insulin signaling, and cancer risk in humans. ..
- Fuller M, Spradling A. Male and female Drosophila germline stem cells: two versions of immortality. Science. 2007;316:402-4 pubmed..Comparing these two stem cells and their niches in detail is likely to reveal how a common heritage has been adapted to the differing requirements of male and female gamete production. ..
- Xie T, Spradling A. A niche maintaining germ line stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. Science. 2000;290:328-30 pubmed..Our studies implicate one of the somatic cell types, the cap cells, as a key niche component. ..
- Kiger A, White Cooper H, Fuller M. Somatic support cells restrict germline stem cell self-renewal and promote differentiation. Nature. 2000;407:750-4 pubmed
- Xia L, Zheng X, Zheng W, Zhang G, Wang H, Tao Y, et al. The niche-dependent feedback loop generates a BMP activity gradient to determine the germline stem cell fate. Curr Biol. 2012;22:515-21 pubmed publisher..studies demonstrated that the niche-dependent BMP signaling is essential for GSC self-renewal via silencing bam transcription in GSCs...
- Gilboa L, Forbes A, Tazuke S, Fuller M, Lehmann R. Germ line stem cell differentiation in Drosophila requires gap junctions and proceeds via an intermediate state. Development. 2003;130:6625-34 pubmed
- GONCZY P, Matunis E, DiNardo S. bag-of-marbles and benign gonial cell neoplasm act in the germline to restrict proliferation during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Development. 1997;124:4361-71 pubmed..Mutations at two previously identified loci, bag-of-marbles (bam) and benign gonial cell neoplasm (bgcn), prevent progression through spermatogenesis and oogenesis, resulting in ..
- Page S, McKim K, Deneen B, Van Hook T, Hawley R. Genetic studies of mei-P26 reveal a link between the processes that control germ cell proliferation in both sexes and those that control meiotic exchange in Drosophila. Genetics. 2000;155:1757-72 pubmed..role of mei-P26 in germline differentiation, we tested double mutant combinations of mei-P26 and bag-of-marbles (bam), a gene necessary for the control of germline differentiation and proliferation in both sexes...
- Spradling A, Drummond Barbosa D, Kai T. Stem cells find their niche. Nature. 2001;414:98-104 pubmed..These studies are beginning to unify our understanding of stem cell regulation at the cellular and molecular levels, and promise to advance efforts to use stem cells therapeutically. ..
- Chen D, McKearin D. A discrete transcriptional silencer in the bam gene determines asymmetric division of the Drosophila germline stem cell. Development. 2003;130:1159-70 pubmed..components of the Dpp cassette and the translational repressors Nanos and Pumilio, whereas cystoblasts require the bam and bgcn genes...
- Kai T, Spradling A. Differentiating germ cells can revert into functional stem cells in Drosophila melanogaster ovaries. Nature. 2004;428:564-9 pubmed..More generally, Drosophila cystocytes now provide a system for studying de-differentiation and its potential as a source of functional stem cells. ..
- Kirilly D, Spana E, Perrimon N, Padgett R, Xie T. BMP signaling is required for controlling somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Cell. 2005;9:651-62 pubmed..Our work further suggests that BMP signaling could promote self-renewal of adult stem cells in other systems. ..
- Iovino N, Pane A, Gaul U. miR-184 has multiple roles in Drosophila female germline development. Dev Cell. 2009;17:123-33 pubmed publisher..Our study highlights the importance of microRNA-mediated regulation in the major developmental transitions of the female germline, and provides insights into several aspects of microRNA function. ..
- Zhu C, Xie T. Clonal expansion of ovarian germline stem cells during niche formation in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:2579-88 pubmed..This study also suggests that signals from newly formed niche cells are important for expanding stem cells and populating niches. ..
- Li Y, Minor N, Park J, McKearin D, Maines J. Bam and Bgcn antagonize Nanos-dependent germ-line stem cell maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9304-9 pubmed publisher..between the Nanos (Nos)-Pumilio translational repressor complex, which promotes GSC self-renewal, and expression of Bam, a key differentiation factor...
- Chen D, McKearin D. Dpp signaling silences bam transcription directly to establish asymmetric divisions of germline stem cells. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1786-91 pubmed..Here, we show that the bag-of-marbles (bam) differentiation factor is the principal target of Dpp signaling in GSCs; ectopic bam expression restores ..
- Wang X, Pan L, Wang S, Zhou J, McDowell W, Park J, et al. Histone H3K9 trimethylase Eggless controls germline stem cell maintenance and differentiation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002426 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, BMP-mediated transcriptional repression of differentiation factor bam in marked egg mutant GSCs remains normal, indicating that Egg is dispensable for BMP signaling in GSCs...
- Chau J, Kulnane L, Salz H. Sex-lethal enables germline stem cell differentiation by down-regulating Nanos protein levels during Drosophila oogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:9465-70 pubmed publisher..These findings connect sexual identity to the stem cell self-renewal/differentiation decision and highlight the importance of posttranscriptional gene regulatory networks in controlling stem cell behavior. ..
- Liu M, Lim T, Cai Y. The Drosophila female germline stem cell lineage acts to spatially restrict DPP function within the niche. Sci Signal. 2010;3:ra57 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data reveal that the reciprocal crosstalk between the GSCs and the somatic cells defines the spatial limits of DPP action and therefore the extent of the GSC niche. ..
- Jin Z, Homola E, Goldbach P, Choi Y, Brill J, Campbell S. Drosophila Myt1 is a Cdk1 inhibitory kinase that regulates multiple aspects of cell cycle behavior during gametogenesis. Development. 2005;132:4075-85 pubmed..Based on these observations, we propose that Myt1 serves unique Cdk1 regulatory functions required for efficient coupling of cell differentiation with cell cycle progression. ..
- Song X, Call G, Kirilly D, Xie T. Notch signaling controls germline stem cell niche formation in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2007;134:1071-80 pubmed..location can still sufficiently sustain GSC self-renewal by maintaining high local BMP signaling and repressing bam as in normal GSCs...
- Davies E, Lim J, JOO W, Tam C, Fuller M. The transcriptional regulator lola is required for stem cell maintenance and germ cell differentiation in the Drosophila testis. Dev Biol. 2013;373:310-21 pubmed publisher..Different lola isoforms, each having unique C-termini and zinc finger domains, may control different aspects of proliferation and differentiation in the male germline and somatic cyst stem cell lineages...
- Ohlstein B, McKearin D. Ectopic expression of the Drosophila Bam protein eliminates oogenic germline stem cells. Development. 1997;124:3651-62 pubmed..Previous work indicates that bam expression is necessary for cystoblast differentiation; bam mutant germ cells fail to differentiate, but instead ..
- Guo Z, Wang Z. The glypican Dally is required in the niche for the maintenance of germline stem cells and short-range BMP signaling in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2009;136:3627-35 pubmed publisher..that BMP-like morphogens are the immediate upstream signals to promote GSC fate by preventing the expression of Bam, a key differentiation factor...
- Insco M, Bailey A, Kim J, Olivares G, Wapinski O, Tam C, et al. A self-limiting switch based on translational control regulates the transition from proliferation to differentiation in an adult stem cell lineage. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:689-700 pubmed publisher..The TRIM-NHL tumor suppressor homolog Mei-P26 facilitates accumulation of the differentiation regulator Bam in TA cells...