Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: babo
Alias: ATR-1, ATR-I, Atf1, Atr-1, Atr-I, Atr45A, AtrI, BABO, Bab, Babo, CG8224, Dmel\CG8224, Gprk-3, Gprk3, STK-E, atr-I, l(2)44Fd, l(2)k16912, baboon, CG8224-PA, CG8224-PB, CG8224-PC, G protein-coupled receptor kinase 3, activin A receptor 45A, activin type I receptor, babo-PA, babo-PB, babo-PC, baboa
Species: fruit fly
- Peterson A, O Connor M. Activin receptor inhibition by Smad2 regulates Drosophila wing disc patterning through BMP-response elements. Development. 2013;140:649-59 pubmed publisher..The morphological defect is not observed in mutants for the TGF? receptor baboon, and epistasis tests showed that baboon is epistatic to Smad2 for disc overgrowth...
- Jensen P, Zheng X, Lee T, O Connor M. The Drosophila Activin-like ligand Dawdle signals preferentially through one isoform of the Type-I receptor Baboon. Mech Dev. 2009;126:950-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Dawdle, one of four Activin-type ligands in Drosophila, preferentially signals through Babo(c), one of three isoforms of the Activin Type-I receptor that are expressed during development...
- Zheng X, Zugates C, Lu Z, Shi L, Bai J, Lee T. Baboon/dSmad2 TGF-beta signaling is required during late larval stage for development of adult-specific neurons. EMBO J. 2006;25:615-27 pubmed..We found that Baboon(Babo)/dSmad2-mediated TGF-beta signaling, known to be essential for remodeling of larval functional neurons, is ..
- Brummel T, Abdollah S, Haerry T, Shimell M, Merriam J, Raftery L, et al. The Drosophila activin receptor baboon signals through dSmad2 and controls cell proliferation but not patterning during larval development. Genes Dev. 1999;13:98-111 pubmed..In this study we describe the role of Baboon (Babo), a type I Activin receptor previously called Atr-I, in Drosophila development and characterize aspects of ..
- Ramel M, Emery C, Emery C, Foulger R, Goberdhan D, van den Heuvel M, et al. Drosophila SnoN modulates growth and patterning by antagonizing TGF-beta signalling. Mech Dev. 2007;124:304-17 pubmed
- Kamiya Y, Miyazono K, Miyazawa K. Specificity of the inhibitory effects of Dad on TGF-beta family type I receptors, Thickveins, Saxophone, and Baboon in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2496-500 pubmed publisher..Dad inhibited Saxophone (ALK-1/2 orthologue) and Thickveins (ALK-3/6 orthologue) but not Baboon (ALK-4/5/7 orthologue). The differential modes of action of I-Smads in mammals and Drosophila are discussed.
- Marin E, Watts R, Tanaka N, Ito K, Luo L. Developmentally programmed remodeling of the Drosophila olfactory circuit. Development. 2005;132:725-37 pubmed..As with MB gamma neurons, PN pruning requires cell-autonomous reception of the nuclear hormone ecdysone. Thus, these synaptic partners are independently programmed to prune their dendrites and axons. ..
- Serpe M, O Connor M. The metalloprotease tolloid-related and its TGF-beta-like substrate Dawdle regulate Drosophila motoneuron axon guidance. Development. 2006;133:4969-79 pubmed..Null mutants of daw, as well as mutations in its receptor babo and its downstream mediator Smad2, all exhibit axon guidance defects that are similar to but less severe than tlr...
- Gibbens Y, Warren J, Gilbert L, O Connor M. Neuroendocrine regulation of Drosophila metamorphosis requires TGFbeta/Activin signaling. Development. 2011;138:2693-703 pubmed publisher..As steroid hormone production in C. elegans and mammals is also influenced by TGF?/Activin signaling, this family of secreted factors may play a general role in regulating developmental transitions across phyla...
- Peterson A, Jensen P, Shimell M, Stefancsik R, Wijayatonge R, Herder R, et al. R-Smad competition controls activin receptor output in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36548 pubmed publisher..Using Drosophila cell culture as well as in vivo assays, we find that Baboon, the Drosophila TGF-?/Activin-specific Type I receptor, can phosphorylate Mad, the BMP-specific R-Smad, in ..
- Raftery L, Sutherland D. TGF-beta family signal transduction in Drosophila development: from Mad to Smads. Dev Biol. 1999;210:251-68 pubmed..Identification of more ligand sequences and demonstration of a functional Drosophila activin-like signal transduction pathway suggest that all TGF-beta signal transduction pathways are present in flies. ..
- Gesualdi S, Haerry T. Distinct signaling of Drosophila Activin/TGF-beta family members. Fly (Austin). 2007;1:212-21 pubmed..of all seven TGF-beta members to identify those that mediate growth through the Drosophila type I receptor BABO. We find that two potential ligands of BABO, Myoglianin (MYO) and Maverick (MAV), do not activate dSMAD2...
- Ellis J, Parker L, Cho J, Arora K. Activin signaling functions upstream of Gbb to regulate synaptic growth at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. Dev Biol. 2010;342:121-33 pubmed publisher..Mutants for Daw, the Activin type I receptor Baboon (Babo), and the signal transducer dSmad2, display reduced NMJ size suggesting that Daw utilizes a ..
- Ruberte E, Marty T, Nellen D, Affolter M, Basler K. An absolute requirement for both the type II and type I receptors, punt and thick veins, for dpp signaling in vivo. Cell. 1995;80:889-97 pubmed
- Takaesu N, Hyman Walsh C, Ye Y, Wisotzkey R, Stinchfield M, O Connor M, et al. dSno facilitates baboon signaling in the Drosophila brain by switching the affinity of Medea away from Mad and toward dSmad2. Genetics. 2006;174:1299-313 pubmed..larvae have proliferation defects in the optic lobe of the brain very similar to those seen in baboon (Activin type I receptor) and dSmad2 mutants. This suggests that dSno is a mediator of Baboon signaling...
- Lee Hoeflich S, Zhao X, Mehra A, Attisano L. The Drosophila type II receptor, Wishful thinking, binds BMP and myoglianin to activate multiple TGFbeta family signaling pathways. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:4615-21 pubmed..that both myoglianin and its most closely related mammalian ligand, myostatin, interacted with a Wit and Baboon (Babo) type II-type I receptor complex to activate TGFbeta/activin-like signaling pathways...
- Ghosh A, O Connor M. Systemic Activin signaling independently regulates sugar homeostasis, cellular metabolism, and pH balance in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:5729-34 pubmed publisher..These findings establish Activin signaling as a major metabolic regulator and uncover a functional link between TGF-? signaling, insulin signaling, and metabolism in Drosophila. ..
- Zheng X, Wang J, Haerry T, Wu A, Martin J, O Connor M, et al. TGF-beta signaling activates steroid hormone receptor expression during neuronal remodeling in the Drosophila brain. Cell. 2003;112:303-15 pubmed..These phenotypically indistinguishable mutations affect Baboon function, a Drosophila TGF-beta/activin type I receptor, and dSmad2, its downstream transcriptional effector...
- Henderson K, Andrew D. Identification of a novel Drosophila SMAD on the X chromosome. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;252:195-201 pubmed..We have localized the Smox gene to a specific interval on the X chromosome and shown that Smox is transcribed throughout development. ..
- Ting C, Herman T, Yonekura S, Gao S, Wang J, Serpe M, et al. Tiling of r7 axons in the Drosophila visual system is mediated both by transduction of an activin signal to the nucleus and by mutual repulsion. Neuron. 2007;56:793-806 pubmed..In a genetic screen based on an R7-dependent behavior, we identified the Activin receptor Baboon and the nuclear import adaptor Importin-alpha3 as being required to prevent R7 axon terminals from overlapping ..
- Parker L, Ellis J, Nguyen M, Arora K. The divergent TGF-beta ligand Dawdle utilizes an activin pathway to influence axon guidance in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4981-91 pubmed..We find that Daw initiates an activin signaling pathway via the receptors Punt and Baboon (Babo) and the signal-transducer Smad2...
- Lengil T, Gancz D, Gilboa L. Activin signaling balances proliferation and differentiation of ovarian niche precursors and enables adjustment of niche numbers. Development. 2015;142:883-92 pubmed publisher..The Activin receptor Baboon (Babo) is required for somatic precursor cell proliferation and therefore determines the pool of TF precursors ..
- Marinho J, Martins T, Neto M, Casares F, Pereira P. The nucleolar protein Viriato/Nol12 is required for the growth and differentiation progression activities of the Dpp pathway during Drosophila eye development. Dev Biol. 2013;377:154-65 pubmed publisher..vito would act genetically downstream of Dpp, playing an important role in maintaining a sufficient level of Dpp activity for the promotion of eye disc growth and regulation of photoreceptor differentiation in eye development. ..
- Schuldiner O, Berdnik D, Levy J, Wu J, Luginbuhl D, Gontang A, et al. piggyBac-based mosaic screen identifies a postmitotic function for cohesin in regulating developmental axon pruning. Dev Cell. 2008;14:227-38 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate a postmitotic role for SMC1 in dendrite targeting of olfactory projection neurons. We suggest that cohesin regulates diverse aspects of neuronal morphogenesis...
- Hevia C, de Celis J. Activation and function of TGF? signalling during Drosophila wing development and its interactions with the BMP pathway. Dev Biol. 2013;377:138-53 pubmed publisher..We show that Baboon, the specific receptor of the TGF? pathway, can phosphorylate Mad, the specific transducer of the BMP pathway, in ..
- Wharton K. How many receptors does it take?. Bioessays. 1995;17:13-6 pubmed..tkv and sax encode type I receptors, which appear to directly bind ligand, unlike what has been observed for other type I receptors. ..
- Hartmann B, Castelo R, Blanchette M, Boue S, Rio D, Valcarcel J. Global analysis of alternative splicing regulation by insulin and wingless signaling in Drosophila cells. Genome Biol. 2009;10:R11 pubmed publisher..They also reveal that alternative splicing can provide a novel molecular mechanism for crosstalk between different signaling pathways. ..
- Shyamala B, Bhat K. A positive role for patched-smoothened signaling in promoting cell proliferation during normal head development in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:1839-47 pubmed..During head morphogenesis, Patched positively interacts with Smoothened, which leads to the activation of Activin type I receptor Baboon and stimulation of cell proliferation in the eye-antennal disc...
- Dai H, Hogan C, Gopalakrishnan B, Torres Vazquez J, Nguyen M, Park S, et al. The zinc finger protein schnurri acts as a Smad partner in mediating the transcriptional response to decapentaplegic. Dev Biol. 2000;227:373-87 pubmed..This is the first evidence that Dpp/BMP signaling in flies requires the direct interaction of Mad with a partner transcription factor. ..
- Kniss J, Holbrook S, Herman T. R7 photoreceptor axon growth is temporally controlled by the transcription factor Ttk69, which inhibits growth in part by promoting transforming growth factor-?/activin signaling. J Neurosci. 2013;33:1509-20 pubmed publisher..We find that Ttk69 is required for normal activation of this pathway but that Ttk69 likely also inhibits R7 axon growth by a TGF-?/Activin-independent mechanism. ..
- Attisano L, Wrana J. Smads as transcriptional co-modulators. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:235-43 pubmed..Thus, Smads function as transcriptional co-modulators to regulate TGFbeta-dependent gene expression. ..
- Oldham S, Bohni R, Stocker H, Brogiolo W, Hafen E. Genetic control of size in Drosophila. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2000;355:945-52 pubmed..In this article we will review recent evidence from vertebrates and particularly from Drosophila that implicates insulin/insulin-like growth factor-I and other growth pathways in the control of cell, organ and body size. ..
- ten Dijke P, Miyazono K, Heldin C. Signaling via hetero-oligomeric complexes of type I and type II serine/threonine kinase receptors. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1996;8:139-45 pubmed..Recent genetic analyses of Drosophila also indicate a strict requirement for both type I and type II receptors in decapentaplegic signaling in vivo. ..
- Cassill J, Whitney M, Joazeiro C, Becker A, Zuker C. Isolation of Drosophila genes encoding G protein-coupled receptor kinases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:11067-70 pubmed..The presence of a conserved family of G protein-coupled receptor kinases in vertebrates and invertebrates points to the central role of these kinases in signal transduction cascades. ..
- Keshishian H. Is synaptic homeostasis just wishful thinking?. Neuron. 2002;33:491-2 pubmed..2002) and Marqués et al. present evidence that BMP receptors may also influence the development of synapses. The results suggest a novel mechanism for regulating neuronal growth and synaptic homeostasis during development. ..
- Marques G, Haerry T, Crotty M, Xue M, Zhang B, O Connor M. Retrograde Gbb signaling through the Bmp type 2 receptor wishful thinking regulates systemic FMRFa expression in Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:5457-70 pubmed..We propose that Wit and Gbb globally regulate NMJ function by controlling both the growth and transmitter release properties of the synapse as well as the expression of systemic modulators of NMJ synaptic activity. ..
- Bai H, Kang P, Hernandez A, Tatar M. Activin signaling targeted by insulin/dFOXO regulates aging and muscle proteostasis in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003941 pubmed publisher..Reduced insulin secretion from the brain may subsequently reinforce longevity assurance through decreased systemic insulin/IGF signaling. ..
- Bunt S, Hime G. Ectopic activation of Dpp signalling in the male Drosophila germline inhibits germ cell differentiation. Genesis. 2004;39:84-93 pubmed..A third cell population that expressed stem cell markers was seen to proliferate in the distal testis when Dpp signalling was either stimulated or repressed in germline stem cells. ..
- Shi L, Lin S, Grinberg Y, Beck Y, Grozinger C, Robinson G, et al. Roles of Drosophila Kruppel-homolog 1 in neuronal morphogenesis. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:1614-26 pubmed..Thus, although KR-H1 has a potential for modulating neuronal morphogenesis, it appears physiologically involved in coordinating general ecdysone signaling. ..
- Hatini V, Bokor P, Goto Mandeville R, DiNardo S. Tissue- and stage-specific modulation of Wingless signaling by the segment polarity gene lines. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1364-76 pubmed..Lin can accumulate in the cytoplasm of cells signaled by Hh, suggesting that Hh antagonizes Wg function by prohibiting Lin from entering the nucleus. ..
- Bornstein B, Zahavi E, Gelley S, Zoosman M, Yaniv S, Fuchs O, et al. Developmental Axon Pruning Requires Destabilization of Cell Adhesion by JNK Signaling. Neuron. 2015;88:926-940 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we have uncovered a novel and unexpected interaction between the JNK pathway and cell adhesion and found that destabilization of cell adhesion is necessary for efficient pruning. ..
- Bennett D, Szoor B, Gross S, Vereshchagina N, Alphey L. Ectopic expression of inhibitors of protein phosphatase type 1 (PP1) can be used to analyze roles of PP1 in Drosophila development. Genetics. 2003;164:235-45 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that inhibitors of PP1 can be used in a tissue- and developmental-specific manner to examine the developmental roles of PP1. ..
- Fischer S, Bayersdorfer F, Harant E, Reng R, Arndt S, Bosserhoff A, et al. fussel (fuss)--A negative regulator of BMP signaling in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42349 pubmed publisher..Taken together we could show that fuss exerts a pivotal role as an antagonist of BMP signaling in Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Ting C, McQueen P, Pandya N, Lin T, Yang M, Reddy O, et al. Photoreceptor-derived activin promotes dendritic termination and restricts the receptive fields of first-order interneurons in Drosophila. Neuron. 2014;81:830-846 pubmed publisher..We suggest that afferent-derived Activin regulates the dendritic field size of their postsynaptic partners to ensure appropriate synaptic partnership. ..
- Moses H, Serra R. Regulation of differentiation by TGF-beta. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1996;6:581-6 pubmed..Drosophila and transgenic mouse models are now providing useful insights into mechanisms of TGF-beta action in vivo. ..
- Takaesu N, Stinchfield M, Shimizu K, Arase M, Quijano J, Watabe T, et al. Drosophila CORL is required for Smad2-mediated activation of Ecdysone Receptor expression in the mushroom body. Development. 2012;139:3392-401 pubmed publisher..This is phenocopied in CORL-RNAi and Smad2-RNAi clones in wild-type larvae. Furthermore, constitutively active Baboon (type I receptor upstream of Smad2) cannot stimulate EcR-B1 MB expression in Df(4)dCORL larvae, which demonstrates ..
- Boulanger A, Farge M, Ramanoudjame C, Wharton K, Dura J. Drosophila motor neuron retraction during metamorphosis is mediated by inputs from TGF-?/BMP signaling and orphan nuclear receptors. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40255 pubmed publisher..This mechanism insures the temporality of the two processes and prevents motor neuron pruning before postsynaptic degradation. ..
- Zimmerman C, Padgett R. Transforming growth factor beta signaling mediators and modulators. Gene. 2000;249:17-30 pubmed..Here we describe both the simplistic core TGFbeta signaling pathway and the growing number of proteins that impinge on this pathway at the level of Smad function to either enhance or inhibit TGFbeta responses. ..
- Yu X, Gutman I, Mosca T, Iram T, Ozkan E, Garcia K, et al. Plum, an immunoglobulin superfamily protein, regulates axon pruning by facilitating TGF-? signaling. Neuron. 2013;78:456-68 pubmed publisher..facilitate signaling of Myoglianin, a glial-derived TGF-?, on MB ? neurons upstream of the type-I TGF-? receptor Baboon. Myoglianin, Baboon, and Ecdysone Receptor-B1 are also required for neuromuscular junction ectopic synapse ..
- Grueber W, Jan Y. Dendritic development: lessons from Drosophila and related branches. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2004;14:74-82 pubmed..Here, we review some recent advances in our understanding of dendritic development in insects, focusing primarily on insights that have been gained from studies of Drosophila. ..
- Dockendorff T, Robertson S, Faulkner D, Jongens T. Genetic characterization of the 44D-45B region of the Drosophila melanogaster genome based on an F2 lethal screen. Mol Gen Genet. 2000;263:137-43 pubmed..This screen may have uncovered mutant alleles of these genes. The results of complementation tests with previously identified genes in 44D-45B suggests that over half of the complementation groups identified in this screen may be novel. ..
- Konev A, Varentsova E, Khromykh I. [Cytogenetic analysis of the chromosome region containing the Drosophila radiosensitivity gene. II. The vitally important loci of the 44F-45C region of chromosome 2]. Genetika. 1994;30:201-11 pubmed..Phenotypes of individuals homozygous for nonstrictly lethal alleles of vital loci of the region 44F-45C were described. ..
- Rallis A, Moore C, Ng J. Signal strength and signal duration define two distinct aspects of JNK-regulated axon stability. Dev Biol. 2010;339:65-77 pubmed publisher..We also suggest that graded Bsk inputs are translated into AP-1 transcriptional outputs consisting of Fos and Jun proteins. ..
- Keshishian H, Kim Y. Orchestrating development and function: retrograde BMP signaling in the Drosophila nervous system. Trends Neurosci. 2004;27:143-7 pubmed..Together, the results suggest that retrograde growth factor signaling by BMPs integrates neuromuscular development and function at both local and global levels in the animal. ..
- Boulanger A, Clouet Redt C, Farge M, Flandre A, Guignard T, Fernando C, et al. ftz-f1 and Hr39 opposing roles on EcR expression during Drosophila mushroom body neuron remodeling. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:37-44 pubmed publisher..We found that the ftz-f1 and Hr39 pathway apparently acts independently of TGF? signaling, suggesting that EcR-B1 is the target of two parallel molecular pathways that act during ? neuron remodeling...
- Massague J, Chen Y. Controlling TGF-beta signaling. Genes Dev. 2000;14:627-44 pubmed
- Li C, Guo Z, Wang Z. TGFbeta receptor saxophone non-autonomously regulates germline proliferation in a Smox/dSmad2-dependent manner in Drosophila testis. Dev Biol. 2007;309:70-7 pubmed..Furthermore, over-expressing Smox in cyst cells can partially rescue the proliferation phenotype induced by sax mutation. We propose that Smox acts downstream of Sax to prevent spermatogonial over-proliferation in Drosophila. ..
- Herrero P, Magarinos M, Molina I, Benito J, Dorado B, Turiegano E, et al. Squeeze involvement in the specification of Drosophila leucokinergic neurons: Different regulatory mechanisms endow the same neuropeptide selection. Mech Dev. 2007;124:427-40 pubmed..Thus, Sqz appears to be a regulatory factor for neuropeptidergic identity common to all leucokinergic cells, whose function in different cell types is regulated by cell-specific factors. ..
- Sharifkhodaei Z, Padash Barmchi M, Gilbert M, Samarasekera G, Fulga T, Van Vactor D, et al. The Drosophila tricellular junction protein Gliotactin regulates its own mRNA levels through BMP-mediated induction of miR-184. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:1477-89 pubmed publisher..Gliotactin specifically interferes with Dad, an inhibitory SMAD, leading to activation of the Tkv type-I receptor and activation of Mad to elevate the biogenesis and expression of miR-184. ..
- Hogan B. Developmental signalling. Sorting out the signals. Curr Biol. 1994;4:1122-4 pubmed..New insights into the developmental roles played by the TGF-beta family of signalling molecules come from the identification in Drosophila of two transmembrane receptors encoded by the thick veins and saxophone genes. ..
- Pentek J, Parker L, Wu A, Arora K. Follistatin preferentially antagonizes activin rather than BMP signaling in Drosophila. Genesis. 2009;47:261-73 pubmed publisher..In assays targeting endogenous BMP signaling, we find no evidence that fs can antagonize BMP activity. We conclude that fs functions primarily as an inhibitor of activin rather than BMP ligands. ..
- Kim M, O Connor M. Anterograde Activin signaling regulates postsynaptic membrane potential and GluRIIA/B abundance at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e107443 pubmed publisher..We find that elimination of the Activin/TGF-Î² type I receptor babo, or its downstream signal transducer smox, does not affect presynaptic NMJ growth or evoked excitatory junctional ..