Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: aurA
Description: aurora A
Alias: 87A7-9/2, Aur, Aur-A, AurA, CG3068, Dmel\CG3068, aur, aur-A, ck10, ck, l(3)87Ac, l(3)ck10, aurora A, A-type aurora kinase, Aurora-A kinase, AuroraA, CG3068-PA, aurA-PA, aurora, aurora A kinase, aurora kinase, aurora-A, early-A, fruhe2
Species: fruit fly
- Giet R, Glover D. Drosophila aurora B kinase is required for histone H3 phosphorylation and condensin recruitment during chromosome condensation and to organize the central spindle during cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:669-82 pubmedb>Aurora/Ipl1-related kinases are a conserved family of enzymes that have multiple functions during mitotic progression...
- Giet R, Prigent C. Aurora/Ipl1p-related kinases, a new oncogenic family of mitotic serine-threonine kinases. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 21):3591-601 pubmed..A Drosophila melanogaster homologue, aurora, was the first to be isolated from a multicellular organism...
- Zhang J, Megraw T. Proper recruitment of gamma-tubulin and D-TACC/Msps to embryonic Drosophila centrosomes requires Centrosomin Motif 1. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:4037-49 pubmed..Msps) to embryonic centrosomes but is not required for assembly of other centrosome components including Aurora A kinase and CP60...
- Lucas E, Raff J. Maintaining the proper connection between the centrioles and the pericentriolar matrix requires Drosophila centrosomin. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:725-32 pubmed..We conclude that Cnn maintains the proper connection between the centrioles and the PCM; this connection is required for accurate centriole segregation in somatic cells but is not essential for the asymmetric division of neuroblasts...
- Wang H, Somers G, Bashirullah A, Heberlein U, Yu F, Chia W. Aurora-A acts as a tumor suppressor and regulates self-renewal of Drosophila neuroblasts. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3453-63 pubmed..Here we show that Aurora-A (AurA) acts as a tumor suppressor by suppressing NB self-renewal and promoting neuronal differentiation...
- Barros T, Kinoshita K, Hyman A, Raff J. Aurora A activates D-TACC-Msps complexes exclusively at centrosomes to stabilize centrosomal microtubules. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:1039-46 pubmed..TACC proteins can be phosphorylated in vitro by Aurora A kinases, but the significance of this remains unclear...
- Bergstralh D, Haack T, St Johnston D. Epithelial polarity and spindle orientation: intersecting pathways. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2013;368:20130291 pubmed publisher..In this review, we examine several factors implicated in both processes, namely Canoe, Bazooka, aPKC and Discs large, and consider the implications of this work on how the spindle is oriented during epithelial cell divisions. ..
- Morales Mulia S, Scholey J. Spindle pole organization in Drosophila S2 cells by dynein, abnormal spindle protein (Asp), and KLP10A. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3176-86 pubmed..These results extend recent findings from Xenopus extracts to Drosophila cultured cells and suggest that common pathways contribute to spindle pole organization and length determination. ..
- Terada Y, Uetake Y, Kuriyama R. Interaction of Aurora-A and centrosomin at the microtubule-nucleating site in Drosophila and mammalian cells. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:757-63 pubmedA mitosis-specific Aurora-A kinase has been implicated in microtubule organization and spindle assembly in diverse organisms. However, exactly how Aurora-A controls the microtubule nucleation onto centrosomes is unknown...
- Lee C, Andersen R, Cabernard C, Manning L, Tran K, Lanskey M, et al. Drosophila Aurora-A kinase inhibits neuroblast self-renewal by regulating aPKC/Numb cortical polarity and spindle orientation. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3464-74 pubmed..Here we identify three mutations showing increased brain neuroblast numbers that map to the aurora-A gene, which encodes a conserved kinase implicated in human cancer...
- Berdnik D, Knoblich J. Drosophila Aurora-A is required for centrosome maturation and actin-dependent asymmetric protein localization during mitosis. Curr Biol. 2002;12:640-7 pubmed..We show here that the mitotic kinase Aurora-A is required for the asymmetric localization of Numb...
- Towers P, Sattelle D. A Drosophila melanogaster cell line (S2) facilitates post-genome functional analysis of receptors and ion channels. Bioessays. 2002;24:1066-73 pubmed..In addition, many useful orthologues of human disease genes are emerging from the Drosophila genome and the study of their functions and interactions is another area for postgenome applications of S2 cell lines. ..
- Muse G, Gilchrist D, Nechaev S, Shah R, Parker J, Grissom S, et al. RNA polymerase is poised for activation across the genome. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1507-11 pubmed..This finding indicates a role for regulation of polymerase elongation in the transcriptional responses to dynamic environmental and developmental cues. ..
- Gottardo M, Callaini G, Riparbelli M. Aurora A inhibition by MNL8054 promotes centriole elongation during Drosophila male meiosis. Cell Cycle. 2015;14:2844-52 pubmed publisherb>Aurora A kinase plays an important role in several aspects of cell division, including centrosome maturation and separation, a crucial step for the correct organization of the bipolar spindle...
- Petesch S, Lis J. Rapid, transcription-independent loss of nucleosomes over a large chromatin domain at Hsp70 loci. Cell. 2008;134:74-84 pubmed publisher..An RNAi screen of 28 transcription and chromatin-related factors reveals that depletion of heat shock factor, GAGA Factor, or Poly(ADP)-Ribose Polymerase or its activity abolishes the loss of nucleosomes upon Hsp70 activation. ..
- Hu S, Sonnenfeld M, Stahl S, Crews S. Midline Fasciclin: a Drosophila Fasciclin-I-related membrane protein localized to the CNS midline cells and trachea. J Neurobiol. 1998;35:77-93 pubmed..However, embryos mutant for both midline fasciclin and the abelson nonreceptor tyrosine kinase, show more severe defects in axonogenesis that resemble fasciclin I abelson double mutant phenotypes. ..
- Stenoien D, Sen S, Mancini M, Brinkley B. Dynamic association of a tumor amplified kinase, Aurora-A, with the centrosome and mitotic spindle. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2003;55:134-46 pubmedb>Aurora-A kinase, also known as STK15/BTAK kinase, is a member of a serine/threonine kinase superfamily that includes the prototypic yeast Ipl1 and Drosophila aurora kinases as well as other mammalian and non-mammalian aurora kinases ..
- Pandey R, Heeger S, Lehner C. Rapid effects of acute anoxia on spindle kinetochore interactions activate the mitotic spindle checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2807-18 pubmed..Although involving adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-consuming kinases, the spindle checkpoint can therefore be activated by spindle damage in response to acute anoxia and protect against aneuploidies. ..
- Gergely F. Centrosomal TACCtics. Bioessays. 2002;24:915-25 pubmed..In this review, I summarise what we already know of this protein family and will use the TACC proteins to illustrate the many facets that centrosomes have developed during the course of evolution. ..
- Moon W, Matsuzaki F. Aurora A kinase negatively regulates Rho-kinase by phosphorylation in vivo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;435:610-5 pubmed publisherb>Aurora-A kinase (AurA) is a key regulator of cellular processes involving microtubules. It has also been implicated in actin-dependent events, but the mechanisms that underlie the processes are not fully understood...
- Pollarolo G, Schulz J, Munck S, Dotti C. Cytokinesis remnants define first neuronal asymmetry in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:1525-33 pubmed publisher..7 min after division; and the furrow components RhoA and Aurora kinase, from the time of cytokinesis...
- Gunjan A, Paik J, Verreault A. The emergence of regulated histone proteolysis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2006;16:112-8 pubmed..Recent discoveries have highlighted the importance of regulated histone proteolysis in preventing both the accumulation of excess histones and the mis-incorporation of histone variants at inappropriate loci. ..
- Lerit D, Gavis E. Transport of germ plasm on astral microtubules directs germ cell development in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:439-48 pubmed publisher..Transport on astral microtubules may provide a general mechanism for the segregation of cell fate determinants. ..
- Shilova V, Garbuz D, Myasyankina E, Chen B, Evgen ev M, Feder M, et al. Remarkable site specificity of local transposition into the Hsp70 promoter of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2006;173:809-20 pubmed
- Specchia V, Piacentini L, Tritto P, Fanti L, D Alessandro R, Palumbo G, et al. Hsp90 prevents phenotypic variation by suppressing the mutagenic activity of transposons. Nature. 2010;463:662-5 pubmed publisher..This indicates that Hsp90 mutations can generate new variation by transposon-mediated 'canonical' mutagenesis. ..
- Gomes J, Corado M, Schweisguth F. Van Gogh and Frizzled act redundantly in the Drosophila sensory organ precursor cell to orient its asymmetric division. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4485 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that both Vang and Fz act as cues for downstream effectors orienting the planar polarity axis of dividing SOPs. ..
- Carvalho C, Moreira S, Ventura G, Sunkel C, Morais de SÃ¡ E. Aurora A triggers Lgl cortical release during symmetric division to control planar spindle orientation. Curr Biol. 2015;25:53-60 pubmed publisher..redistribution during epithelial mitosis is reminiscent of asymmetric cell division, where it is proposed that Aurora A promotes aPKC activation to control the localization of Lgl and cell-fate determinants...
- Chia W, Prokopenko S. Cyclin E at the centre of an identity crisis. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:3-5 pubmed
- Unhavaithaya Y, Orr Weaver T. Polyploidization of glia in neural development links tissue growth to blood-brain barrier integrity. Genes Dev. 2012;26:31-6 pubmed publisher..Polyploidization likely is a conserved strategy to coordinate tissue growth during organogenesis, with potential vertebrate examples. ..
- Sen A, Damm V, Cox R. Drosophila clueless is highly expressed in larval neuroblasts, affects mitochondrial localization and suppresses mitochondrial oxidative damage. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54283 pubmed publisher..Thus Clu's role in mitochondrial function is not critical during larval development, but is important for pupae and adults. ..
- Hamann S, Strätling W. Specific binding of Drosophila nuclear protein PEP (protein on ecdysone puffs) to hsp70 DNA and RNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 1998;26:4108-15 pubmed..with even higher affinity to hsp70 transcripts, but not to transcripts of a flanking region or of a nearby gene, aurora ...
- Chang K, Garcia Alvarez G, Somers G, Sousa Nunes R, Rossi F, Lee Y, et al. Interplay between the transcription factor Zif and aPKC regulates neuroblast polarity and self-renewal. Dev Cell. 2010;19:778-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, reciprocal repression between Zif and aPKC act as a critical regulatory mechanism for establishing cell polarity and controlling neuroblast self-renewal. ..
- Gonzalez C, Tavosanis G, Mollinari C. Centrosomes and microtubule organisation during Drosophila development. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 18):2697-706 pubmed..In this review we present some of the many examples which illustrate how centrosomes and microtubule organisation changes through development in Drosophila and discuss some of its implications. ..
- Mathieu J, Cauvin C, Moch C, Radford S, Sampaio P, Perdigoto C, et al. Aurora B and cyclin B have opposite effects on the timing of cytokinesis abscission in Drosophila germ cells and in vertebrate somatic cells. Dev Cell. 2013;26:250-65 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Aurora B and Survivin regulate the number of germ cells in each Drosophila egg chamber by inhibiting abscission during ..
- Reed J, Bischoff J. BIRinging chromosomes through cell division--and survivin' the experience. Cell. 2000;102:545-8 pubmed
- Chia W, Yang X. Asymmetric division of Drosophila neural progenitors. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2002;12:459-64 pubmed..Recent findings also suggest possible mechanisms by which the processes of cell-cycle progression, neuronal lineage development and asymmetric divisions may be integrated. ..
- Inoue Y, Glover D. Involvement of the rolled/MAP kinase gene in Drosophila mitosis: interaction between genes for the MAP kinase cascade and abnormal spindle. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;258:334-41 pubmed..of a bipolar spindle during progression through mitosis, and find no interactions with mutations in polo, mgr, or aurora. However, partial loss-of-function mutations in rolled enhance the abnormal spindle (asp) phenotype, whereas gain-..
- Silverman Gavrila R, Wilde A. Ran is required before metaphase for spindle assembly and chromosome alignment and after metaphase for chromosome segregation and spindle midbody organization. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:2069-80 pubmed..The Ran pathway mediates these mitotic events, in part, by facilitating the correct targeting of the kinase Aurora A and the kinesins KLP61F and KLP3A to spindles.
- Ye A, Deretic J, Hoel C, Hinman A, Cimini D, Welburn J, et al. Aurora A Kinase Contributes to a Pole-Based Error Correction Pathway. Curr Biol. 2015;25:1842-51 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that Aurora A kinase (AAK) opposes the stabilizing effect of PEFs...
- Hutterer A, Berdnik D, Wirtz Peitz F, Zigman M, Schleiffer A, Knoblich J. Mitotic activation of the kinase Aurora-A requires its binding partner Bora. Dev Cell. 2006;11:147-57 pubmedThe protein kinase Aurora-A is required for centrosome maturation, spindle assembly, and asymmetric protein localization during mitosis...
- Kline Smith S, Walczak C. Microtubules in orbit. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:5-6 pubmed
- Marumoto T, Honda S, Hara T, Nitta M, Hirota T, Kohmura E, et al. Aurora-A kinase maintains the fidelity of early and late mitotic events in HeLa cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:51786-95 pubmedb>Aurora-A, a member of the Aurora/Ipl1-related kinase family, is overexpressed in various types of cancer and considered to play critical roles in tumorigenesis...
- Brittle A, Ohkura H. Centrosome maturation: Aurora lights the way to the poles. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R880-2 pubmed..Recent studies show that Aurora A kinase promotes microtubule assembly from centrosomes through the phosphorylation of the conserved centrosomal ..
- Bell G, Fletcher G, Brain R, Thompson B. Aurora kinases phosphorylate Lgl to induce mitotic spindle orientation in Drosophila epithelia. Curr Biol. 2015;25:61-8 pubmed publisher..The Aurora A and B kinases directly phosphorylate Lgl to promote its mitotic relocalization, whereas aPKC kinase activity is ..
- Sousa Nunes R, Chia W, Somers W. Protein phosphatase 4 mediates localization of the Miranda complex during Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. Genes Dev. 2009;23:359-72 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Flfl may target PP4 to the MIra protein complex to facilitate dephosphorylation step(s) crucial for its cortical association/asymmetric localization. ..
- Bowman S, Rolland V, Betschinger J, Kinsey K, Emery G, Knoblich J. The tumor suppressors Brat and Numb regulate transit-amplifying neuroblast lineages in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;14:535-46 pubmed publisher..Our data describe a transit-amplifying lineage in the Drosophila nervous system and suggest that different vulnerabilities in intermediate cell types can affect the outcome of tumor suppressor loss in stem cell lineages. ..
- Rickmyre J, Dasgupta S, Ooi D, Keel J, Lee E, Kirschner M, et al. The Drosophila homolog of MCPH1, a human microcephaly gene, is required for genomic stability in the early embryo. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3565-77 pubmed..Finally, brains of mcph1 adult male flies have defects in mushroom body structure, suggesting an evolutionarily conserved role for MCPH1 in brain development. ..
- Jankovics F, Brunner D. Transiently reorganized microtubules are essential for zippering during dorsal closure in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Cell. 2006;11:375-85 pubmed..We provide a clearly defined example where cells of a developing organism transiently reorganize their microtubules to fulfill a specialized morphogenetic task. ..
- Caous R, Pascal A, RomÃ© P, Richard Parpaillon L, Karess R, Giet R. Spindle assembly checkpoint inactivation fails to suppress neuroblast tumour formation in aurA mutant Drosophila. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8879 pubmed publisher..We report here the existence of an Aurora A-dependent mechanism promoting efficient, timed cyclin B degradation.
- Ogawa H, Ohta N, Moon W, Matsuzaki F. Protein phosphatase 2A negatively regulates aPKC signaling by modulating phosphorylation of Par-6 in Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3242-9 pubmed publisher..b>Aurora-A (AurA) is a key molecule that links the divisions to the cell cycle...
- Zhang G, Breuer M, Förster A, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A. Mars, a Drosophila protein related to vertebrate HURP, is required for the attachment of centrosomes to the mitotic spindle during syncytial nuclear divisions. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:535-45 pubmed publisher..We propose that Mars is an important linker between the spindle and the centrosomes that is required for proper spindle organization during the rapid mitotic cycles in early embryogenesis. ..
- Cesario J, Jang J, Redding B, Shah N, Rahman T, McKim K. Kinesin 6 family member Subito participates in mitotic spindle assembly and interacts with mitotic regulators. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4770-80 pubmed..Subito localizes to the spindle midzone at anaphase and is required for the localization of Polo, Incenp and Aurora B...
- Conduit P, Richens J, Wainman A, Holder J, Vicente C, Pratt M, et al. A molecular mechanism of mitotic centrosome assembly in Drosophila. elife. 2014;3:e03399 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a surprisingly simple mechanism of mitotic PCM assembly in flies. ..
- Castellanos E, Dominguez P, Gonzalez C. Centrosome dysfunction in Drosophila neural stem cells causes tumors that are not due to genome instability. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1209-14 pubmed publisher..We propose that such tumors might be caused by impaired asymmetric division of neural stem cells . These results show that centrosome loss, far from being innocuous, is a potentially dangerous condition in flies...
- Yang Y, Ballinger D. Mutations in calphotin, the gene encoding a Drosophila photoreceptor cell-specific calcium-binding protein, reveal roles in cellular morphogenesis and survival. Genetics. 1994;138:413-21 pubmed..Analysis of these mutations suggest that Calphotin plays important roles in both rhabdomere development and in photoreceptor cell survival. ..
- Perkins L, Holderbaum L, Tao R, Hu Y, Sopko R, McCall K, et al. The Transgenic RNAi Project at Harvard Medical School: Resources and Validation. Genetics. 2015;201:843-52 pubmed publisher..flyrnai.org/RSVP.html), and stocks are available from three stock centers, the Bloomington Drosophila Stock Center (United States), National Institute of Genetics (Japan), and TsingHua Fly Center (China). ..
- Carmena M, Pinson X, Platani M, Salloum Z, Xu Z, Clark A, et al. The chromosomal passenger complex activates Polo kinase at centromeres. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001250 pubmed publisher..It was known that Aurora A/Bora activates Polo at centrosomes during late G2...
- Carney T, Miller M, Robinson K, Bayraktar O, Osterhout J, Doe C. Functional genomics identifies neural stem cell sub-type expression profiles and genes regulating neuroblast homeostasis. Dev Biol. 2012;361:137-46 pubmed publisher..These genes are excellent candidates for regulating neural progenitor self-renewal in Drosophila and mammals. ..
- Wang C, Li S, Januschke J, Rossi F, Izumi Y, Garcia Alvarez G, et al. An ana2/ctp/mud complex regulates spindle orientation in Drosophila neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2011;21:520-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that the centrosomal proteins Ana2 and Ctp regulate Mud function to orient the mitotic spindle during NB asymmetric division. ..
- Romé P, Montembault E, Franck N, Pascal A, Glover D, Giet R. Aurora A contributes to p150(glued) phosphorylation and function during mitosis. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:651-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that aurora A kinase participates in vivo to the phosphoregulation of the p150(glued) MBD to limit the microtubule binding of the ..
- Avramova Z, Tikhonov A. Are scs and scs' 'neutral' chromatin domain boundaries of the locus?. Trends Genet. 1999;15:138-9 pubmed
- Roth M, Roubinet C, IfflÃ¤nder N, Ferrand A, Cabernard C. Asymmetrically dividing Drosophila neuroblasts utilize two spatially and temporally independent cytokinesis pathways. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6551 pubmed publisher..These results support the model that two spatially and temporally separate pathways control different key aspects during asymmetric cell division, ensuring correct cell fate determinant segregation and neuroblast self-renewal. ..
- Gigoux V, L Hoste S, Raynaud F, Camonis J, Garbay C. Identification of Aurora kinases as RasGAP Src homology 3 domain-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:23742-6 pubmed..We report here the identification of a new RasGAP SH3 domain-binding protein, named Aurora. This Drosophila melanogaster Ser/Thr kinase has three human orthologs called Aurora/Ipl1-related kinase or HsAIRK-..
- Ferree P, Sullivan W. A genetic test of the role of the maternal pronucleus in Wolbachia-induced cytoplasmic incompatibility in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2006;173:839-47 pubmed..We propose that CI occurs instead as the result of either a developmentally incompetent paternal pronucleus or asynchrony between the paternal pronucleus and the cell cycle of the egg cytoplasm. ..
- Ye A, Torabi J, Maresca T. Aurora A Kinase Amplifies a Midzone Phosphorylation Gradient to Promote High-Fidelity Cytokinesis. Biol Bull. 2016;231:61-72 pubmed..Disruption of aurora A kinase (AAK) activity resulted in midzone assembly defects, but did not significantly affect contractile ring ..