Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: aub
Alias: AUB, Aub, CG6137, Dmel\CG6137, ms(2)32D, sti, sting, aubergine, CG6137-PA, CG6137-PC, aub-PA, aub-PC, stellate-interacting gene
Species: fruit fly
- Shpiz S, Kwon D, Rozovsky Y, Kalmykova A. rasiRNA pathway controls antisense expression of Drosophila telomeric retrotransposons in the nucleus. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:268-78 pubmed publisher..Finally, this regulation occurs in the nucleus since disruption of the rasiRNA pathway leads to an accumulation of TART and HeT-A transcripts in germ cell nuclei. ..
- Castillo D, Mell J, Box K, Blumenstiel J. Molecular evolution under increasing transposable element burden in Drosophila: a speed limit on the evolutionary arms race. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:258 pubmed publisher..Third, we test whether increasing TE abundance is correlated with greater codon bias in genes of the piRNA machinery. This is predicted if increasing TE abundance selects for increased efficiency in the machinery of genome defense...
- Olivieri D, Senti K, Subramanian S, Sachidanandam R, Brennecke J. The cochaperone shutdown defines a group of biogenesis factors essential for all piRNA populations in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2012;47:954-69 pubmed publisher..Together with data on how PIWI proteins are wired into primary and secondary processing, we propose a unified model for piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Vagin V, Sigova A, Li C, Seitz H, Gvozdev V, Zamore P. A distinct small RNA pathway silences selfish genetic elements in the germline. Science. 2006;313:320-4 pubmed..Our data suggest that rasiRNAs protect the fly germline through a silencing mechanism distinct from both the miRNA and RNA interference pathways. ..
- de Vanssay A, Bouge A, Boivin A, Hermant C, Teysset L, Delmarre V, et al. Paramutation in Drosophila linked to emergence of a piRNA-producing locus. Nature. 2012;490:112-5 pubmed publisher..The repression capacity of the paramutated locus is abolished by a loss-of-function mutation of the aubergine gene involved in piRNA biogenesis, but not by a loss-of-function mutation of the Dicer-2 gene involved in siRNA ..
- Nagao A, Mituyama T, Huang H, Chen D, Siomi M, Siomi H. Biogenesis pathways of piRNAs loaded onto AGO3 in the Drosophila testis. RNA. 2010;16:2503-15 pubmed publisher..AGO3-associated piRNAs in fly testes and found that like in ovaries, AGO3 functions in the ping-pong cycle with Aubergine (Aub) for piRNA production from transposon transcripts...
- Khurana J, Xu J, Weng Z, Theurkauf W. Distinct functions for the Drosophila piRNA pathway in genome maintenance and telomere protection. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001246 pubmed publisher..Here we show that mutations in the Drosophila piRNA pathway genes, armi, aub, ago3, and rhi, lead to extensive fragmentation of the zygotic genome during the cleavage stage of embryonic ..
- Chicoine J, Benoit P, Gamberi C, Paliouras M, Simonelig M, Lasko P. Bicaudal-C recruits CCR4-NOT deadenylase to target mRNAs and regulates oogenesis, cytoskeletal organization, and its own expression. Dev Cell. 2007;13:691-704 pubmed..We conclude that Bic-C regulates expression of specific germline mRNAs by controlling their poly(A)-tail length. ..
- Zhang F, Wang J, Xu J, Zhang Z, Koppetsch B, Schultz N, et al. UAP56 couples piRNA clusters to the perinuclear transposon silencing machinery. Cell. 2012;151:871-884 pubmed publisher..has an established role in piRNA production and localizes to nuage with the piRNA binding PIWI proteins Ago3 and Aub. We show that UAP56 colocalizes with the cluster-associated HP1 variant Rhino, that nuage granules containing Vasa ..
- Wilson J, Connell J, Macdonald P. aubergine enhances oskar translation in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 1996;122:1631-9 pubmed..In this report, we describe the role of aubergine in oskar translation...
- Anne J, Mechler B. Valois, a component of the nuage and pole plasm, is involved in assembly of these structures, and binds to Tudor and the methyltransferase Capsuléen. Development. 2005;132:2167-77 pubmed..As the PMRT5/MEP50 complex is involved in ribonucleoprotein complex assembly, we hypothesize that the Vls complex may play a similar function in assembling the nuage in nurse cells and the polar granules in the oocyte. ..
- Shpiz S, Olovnikov I, Sergeeva A, Lavrov S, Abramov Y, Savitsky M, et al. Mechanism of the piRNA-mediated silencing of Drosophila telomeric retrotransposons. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:8703-11 pubmed publisher..Therefore piRNA-mediated transcriptional mode of silencing is involved in the control of retrotransposon expression in the Drosophila germline. ..
- Patil V, Kai T. Repression of retroelements in Drosophila germline via piRNA pathway by the Tudor domain protein Tejas. Curr Biol. 2010;20:724-30 pubmed publisher..nuage depends on vasa (vas)  and spindle-E (spn-E) [1, 16, 17] while it regulates the localization of Spn-E, Aubergine (Aub) [3, 4, 14], Argonaute3 (Ago3) , Krimper (Krimp) , and Maelstrom (Mael)  to nuage...
- Tritto P, Specchia V, Fanti L, Berloco M, D Alessandro R, Pimpinelli S, et al. Structure, regulation and evolution of the crystal-Stellate system of Drosophila. Genetica. 2003;117:247-57 pubmed..In addition three autosomal mutations: sting, scratch and sirio are described that interfere with the system...
- Olivieri D, Sykora M, Sachidanandam R, Mechtler K, Brennecke J. An in vivo RNAi assay identifies major genetic and cellular requirements for primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2010;29:3301-17 pubmed publisher..Within germline cells, piRNAs are processed from piRNA clusters and transposons to be loaded into Piwi/Aubergine/AGO3 and a subset of piRNAs undergoes target-dependent amplification...
- Peng J, Karpen G. H3K9 methylation and RNA interference regulate nucleolar organization and repeated DNA stability. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:25-35 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanism for how local chromatin structure can regulate genome stability, and the organization of chromosomal elements and nuclear organelles. ..
- Kavi H, Fernandez H, Xie W, Birchler J. Polycomb, pairing and PIWI--RNA silencing and nuclear interactions. Trends Biochem Sci. 2006;31:485-7 pubmed..These Pc-associated sequences are involved with the control of the proper expression of developmental HOX genes. ..
- Cook H, Koppetsch B, Wu J, Theurkauf W. The Drosophila SDE3 homolog armitage is required for oskar mRNA silencing and embryonic axis specification. Cell. 2004;116:817-29 pubmed..We conclude that RNA silencing is essential for establishment of the cytoskeletal polarity that initiates embryonic axis specification and for translational control of oskar mRNA. ..
- Preall J, Czech B, Guzzardo P, Muerdter F, Hannon G. shutdown is a component of the Drosophila piRNA biogenesis machinery. RNA. 2012;18:1446-57 pubmed publisher..Shu contains domains implicated in peptidyl-prolyl cis-trans isomerase activity and in the binding of HSP90-family chaperones, though the relevance of these domains to piRNA biogenesis is unknown. ..
- Moshkovich N, Lei E. HP1 recruitment in the absence of argonaute proteins in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000880 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that heterochromatin forms independently of endo-siRNA and piRNA pathways. ..
- Kirino Y, Vourekas A, Sayed N, de Lima Alves F, Thomson T, Lasko P, et al. Arginine methylation of Aubergine mediates Tudor binding and germ plasm localization. RNA. 2010;16:70-8 pubmed publisherPiwi proteins such as Drosophila Aubergine (Aub) and mouse Miwi are essential for germline development and for primordial germ cell (PGC) specification...
- Li C, Vagin V, Lee S, Xu J, Ma S, Xi H, et al. Collapse of germline piRNAs in the absence of Argonaute3 reveals somatic piRNAs in flies. Cell. 2009;137:509-21 pubmed publisher..transposon-rich genomic loci and to direct an autoamplification loop in which an antisense piRNA, bound to Aubergine or Piwi protein, triggers production of a sense piRNA bound to the PIWI protein Argonaute3 (Ago3)...
- Donertas D, Sienski G, Brennecke J. Drosophila Gtsf1 is an essential component of the Piwi-mediated transcriptional silencing complex. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1693-705 pubmed publisher..We propose that only a small fraction of nuclear Piwi is actively engaged in target silencing and that Gtsf1 is an essential component of the underlying Piwi-centered silencing complex. ..
- Rouget C, Papin C, Boureux A, Meunier A, Franco B, Robine N, et al. Maternal mRNA deadenylation and decay by the piRNA pathway in the early Drosophila embryo. Nature. 2010;467:1128-32 pubmed publisher..b>Aubergine, one of the Argonaute proteins in the piRNA pathway, is present in a complex with Smaug, CCR4, nos mRNA and ..
- Saito K, Ishizu H, Komai M, Kotani H, Kawamura Y, Nishida K, et al. Roles for the Yb body components Armitage and Yb in primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2493-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, piRNA loading is required for Piwi nuclear entry. We propose that a functional Piwi-piRNA complex is formed and inspected in Yb bodies before its nuclear entry to exert transposon silencing. ..
- Robine N, Lau N, Balla S, Jin Z, Okamura K, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, et al. A broadly conserved pathway generates 3'UTR-directed primary piRNAs. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2066-76 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly increase the breadth of Argonaute-mediated small RNA systems in metazoans. ..
- Kennerdell J, Yamaguchi S, Carthew R. RNAi is activated during Drosophila oocyte maturation in a manner dependent on aubergine and spindle-E. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1884-9 pubmed..Mutations in aubergine and spindle-E, members of the PIWI/PAZ and DE-H helicase gene families, respectively, block RNAi activation ..
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..
- Anand A, Kai T. The tudor domain protein kumo is required to assemble the nuage and to generate germline piRNAs in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2012;31:870-82 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that kumo facilitates germline piRNA production by promoting piRNA cluster transcription in the nucleus and piRNA processing at the nuage. ..
- Nishida K, Okada T, Kawamura T, Mituyama T, Kawamura Y, Inagaki S, et al. Functional involvement of Tudor and dPRMT5 in the piRNA processing pathway in Drosophila germlines. EMBO J. 2009;28:3820-31 pubmed publisherIn Drosophila, the PIWI proteins, Aubergine (Aub), AGO3, and Piwi are expressed in germlines and function in silencing transposons by associating with PIWI-interacting RNAs (piRNAs)...
- Jones J, Macdonald P. Oskar controls morphology of polar granules and nuclear bodies in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:233-6 pubmed..immigrans type morphology. We conclude that oskar plays a persistent and central role in the polar granules, not only initiating their formation but also controlling their organization and morphology. ..
- Liu L, Qi H, Wang J, Lin H. PAPI, a novel TUDOR-domain protein, complexes with AGO3, ME31B and TRAL in the nuage to silence transposition. Development. 2011;138:1863-73 pubmed publisher..Recently, the nuage in Drosophila was shown to contain two of the three PIWI proteins - Aubergine and Argonaute 3 (AGO3) - that are essential for germline development...
- Khurana J, Wang J, Xu J, Koppetsch B, Thomson T, Nowosielska A, et al. Adaptation to P element transposon invasion in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell. 2011;147:1551-63 pubmed publisher..P element invasion thus triggers heritable changes in genome structure that appear to enhance transposon silencing. ..
- Pal Bhadra M, Leibovitch B, Gandhi S, Chikka M, Rao M, Bhadra U, et al. Heterochromatic silencing and HP1 localization in Drosophila are dependent on the RNAi machinery. Science. 2004;303:669-72 pubmed..arrays and white transgenes in heterochromatin to show loss of silencing as a result of mutations in piwi, aubergine, or spindle-E (homeless), which encode RNAi components...
- Lin H. piRNAs in the germ line. Science. 2007;316:397 pubmed..Recently, a class of small RNAs that interact with Piwi proteins has been discovered in the mammalian germ line and Drosophila. These Piwi-interacting RNAs (piRNAs) represent a distinct small RNA pathway. ..
- Pek J, Kai T. A role for vasa in regulating mitotic chromosome condensation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:39-44 pubmed publisher..by the formation of perichromosomal Vas bodies during mitosis, which requires the piRNA pathway components aubergine and spindle-E...
- Klattenhoff C, Bratu D, McGinnis Schultz N, Koppetsch B, Cook H, Theurkauf W. Drosophila rasiRNA pathway mutations disrupt embryonic axis specification through activation of an ATR/Chk2 DNA damage response. Dev Cell. 2007;12:45-55 pubmed..Mutations in the Drosophila rasiRNA pathway genes armitage and aubergine disrupt embryonic axis specification, triggering defects in microtubule polarization as well as asymmetric ..
- Chen Y, Pane A, Schupbach T. Cutoff and aubergine mutations result in retrotransposon upregulation and checkpoint activation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2007;17:637-42 pubmed..We also found that mutations in aubergine (aub), another gene implicated in the rasiRNA pathway, are significantly suppressed by the chk2 mutation...
- Klenov M, Sokolova O, Yakushev E, Stolyarenko A, Mikhaleva E, Lavrov S, et al. Separation of stem cell maintenance and transposon silencing functions of Piwi protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18760-5 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the Piwi function in GSC self-renewal is independent of transposon repression and is normally realized in the cytoplasm of GSC niche cells. ..
- Lavorgna G, Dahary D, Lehner B, Sorek R, Sanderson C, Casari G. In search of antisense. Trends Biochem Sci. 2004;29:88-94 pubmed..A range of bioinformatic resources could be used to assist future antisense research. ..
- Brower Toland B, Findley S, Jiang L, Liu L, Yin H, Dus M, et al. Drosophila PIWI associates with chromatin and interacts directly with HP1a. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2300-11 pubmed..These findings implicate a direct interaction between the PIWI-mediated small RNA mechanism and heterochromatin-forming pathways in determining the epigenetic state of the fly genome. ..
- Wilson J, Connell J, Schlenker J, Macdonald P. Novel genetic screen for genes involved in posterior body patterning in Drosophila. Dev Genet. 1996;19:199-209 pubmed..These defects are distinct from previously described perturbations in oskar activity and provide new insights into the regulation of oskar. ..
- Kibanov M, Egorova K, Ryazansky S, Sokolova O, Kotov A, Olenkina O, et al. A novel organelle, the piNG-body, in the nuage of Drosophila male germ cells is associated with piRNA-mediated gene silencing. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3410-9 pubmed publisherProteins of the PIWI subfamily Aub and AGO3 associated with the germline-specific perinuclear granules (nuage) are involved in the silencing of retrotransposons and other selfish repetitive elements in the Drosophila genome...
- Findley S, Tamanaha M, Clegg N, Ruohola Baker H. Maelstrom, a Drosophila spindle-class gene, encodes a protein that colocalizes with Vasa and RDE1/AGO1 homolog, Aubergine, in nuage. Development. 2003;130:859-71 pubmed..Interestingly, Maelstrom, but not Vasa, depends on two genes involved in RNAi phenomena, aubergine and spindle-E (spn-E), for its nuage localization...
- Aravin A, Klenov M, Vagin V, Bantignies F, Cavalli G, Gvozdev V. Dissection of a natural RNA silencing process in the Drosophila melanogaster germ line. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:6742-50 pubmed..Mutations in the aubergine and spindle-E genes, members of the Argonaute and RNA helicase gene families, respectively, impair silencing by ..
- Blumenstiel J, Fu R, Theurkauf W, Hawley R. Components of the RNAi machinery that mediate long-distance chromosomal associations are dispensable for meiotic and early somatic homolog pairing in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2008;180:1355-65 pubmed publisher..Thus, there appears to be at least two mechanisms that bring homologous sequences together within the nucleus: those that act between dispersed homologous sequences and those that act to align and pair homologous chromosomes. ..
- Chambeyron S, Popkova A, Payen Groschêne G, Brun C, Laouini D, Pelisson A, et al. piRNA-mediated nuclear accumulation of retrotransposon transcripts in the Drosophila female germline. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14964-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that piRNAs are involved in a posttranscriptional gene-silencing mechanism resulting in RNA nuclear accumulation. ..
- Harris A, Macdonald P. Aubergine encodes a Drosophila polar granule component required for pole cell formation and related to eIF2C. Development. 2001;128:2823-32 pubmed..b>aubergine mutants fail to translate oskar mRNA efficiently and are thus defective in posterior body patterning and pole ..
- Rozhkov N, Hammell M, Hannon G. Multiple roles for Piwi in silencing Drosophila transposons. Genes Dev. 2013;27:400-12 pubmed publisherSilencing of transposons in the Drosophila ovary relies on three Piwi family proteins--Piwi, Aubergine (Aub), and Ago3--acting in concert with their small RNA guides, the Piwi-interacting RNAs (piRNAs)...
- Klattenhoff C, Xi H, Li C, Lee S, Xu J, Khurana J, et al. The Drosophila HP1 homolog Rhino is required for transposon silencing and piRNA production by dual-strand clusters. Cell. 2009;138:1137-49 pubmed publisher..Rhino thus appears to promote transcription of dual-strand clusters, leading to production of piRNAs that drive the ping-pong amplification cycle. ..
- Arkov A, Ramos A. Building RNA-protein granules: insight from the germline. Trends Cell Biol. 2010;20:482-90 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a widespread use of several protein motifs in germline development and further our understanding of other ribonucleoprotein structures, for example, processing bodies and neuronal granules. ..
- Klenov M, Lavrov S, Stolyarenko A, Ryazansky S, Aravin A, Tuschl T, et al. Repeat-associated siRNAs cause chromatin silencing of retrotransposons in the Drosophila melanogaster germline. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:5430-8 pubmed..Our results provide evidence that germinal Piwi-associated short RNAs induce chromatin modifications of their targets. ..
- Nishida K, Saito K, Mori T, Kawamura Y, Nagami Okada T, Inagaki S, et al. Gene silencing mechanisms mediated by Aubergine piRNA complexes in Drosophila male gonad. RNA. 2007;13:1911-22 pubmedGenetic studies have shown that Aubergine (Aub), one of the Piwi subfamily of Argonautes in Drosophila, is essential for germ cell formation and maintaining fertility...
- Grimaud C, Bantignies F, Pal Bhadra M, Ghana P, Bhadra U, Cavalli G. RNAi components are required for nuclear clustering of Polycomb group response elements. Cell. 2006;124:957-71 pubmed..This suggests a novel role for the RNAi machinery in regulating the nuclear organization of PcG chromatin targets. ..
- Aravin A, Naumova N, Tulin A, Vagin V, Rozovsky Y, Gvozdev V. Double-stranded RNA-mediated silencing of genomic tandem repeats and transposable elements in the D. melanogaster germline. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1017-27 pubmed..dsRNA-mediated silencing may provide a basis for negative autogenous control of gene expression. The related surveillance system is implicated to control expression of retrotransposons in the germline. ..
- Reiss D, Josse T, Anxolabehere D, Ronsseray S. aubergine mutations in Drosophila melanogaster impair P cytotype determination by telomeric P elements inserted in heterochromatin. Mol Genet Genomics. 2004;272:336-43 pubmed..formation and RNA interference has been reported in various organisms, we tested the effect of mutant alleles of aubergine, a gene that has been shown to play a role in RNA interference in Drosophila, on the repressive properties of ..
- Haynes K, Caudy A, Collins L, Elgin S. Element 1360 and RNAi components contribute to HP1-dependent silencing of a pericentric reporter. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2222-7 pubmed..Silencing of the 1360, hsp70-white reporter is sensitive to mutations in RNAi components. Our results implicate 1360 as a target for sequence-specific heterochromatic silencing through an RNAi-dependent mechanism. ..
- Zhang Z, Xu J, Koppetsch B, Wang J, Tipping C, Ma S, et al. Heterotypic piRNA Ping-Pong requires qin, a protein with both E3 ligase and Tudor domains. Mol Cell. 2011;44:572-84 pubmed publisher..Reciprocal cycles of piRNA-directed RNA cleavage--catalyzed by the PIWI proteins Aubergine (Aub) and Argonaute3 (Ago3) in Drosophila melanogaster--expand the population of antisense piRNAs in response to ..
- Ni J, Zhou R, Czech B, Liu L, Holderbaum L, Yang Zhou D, et al. A genome-scale shRNA resource for transgenic RNAi in Drosophila. Nat Methods. 2011;8:405-7 pubmed publisher..We show that shRNAs, modeled on an endogenous microRNA, are extremely effective at silencing gene expression during oogenesis. We also describe our progress toward building a genome-wide shRNA resource. ..
- Lei E, Corces V. RNA interference machinery influences the nuclear organization of a chromatin insulator. Nat Genet. 2006;38:936-41 pubmed..These results suggest that the RNAi machinery acts as a modulator of nuclear architecture capable of effecting global changes in gene expression. ..
- Usakin L, Abad J, Vagin V, de Pablos B, Villasante A, Gvozdev V. Transcription of the 1.688 satellite DNA family is under the control of RNA interference machinery in Drosophila melanogaster ovaries. Genetics. 2007;176:1343-9 pubmed..Thus, we revealed that RNAi operates in ovaries to maintain the silenced state of centromeric and pericentromeric 1.688 repeats. ..
- Zamparini A, Davis M, Malone C, Vieira E, Zavadil J, Sachidanandam R, et al. Vreteno, a gonad-specific protein, is essential for germline development and primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:4039-50 pubmed publisher..We show that Vret, which contains Tudor domains, associates physically with Piwi and Aubergine (Aub), stabilizing these proteins via a gonad-specific mechanism that is absent in other fly tissues...
- Kirino Y, Kim N, De Planell Saguer M, Khandros E, Chiorean S, Klein P, et al. Arginine methylation of Piwi proteins catalysed by dPRMT5 is required for Ago3 and Aub stability. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:652-8 pubmed publisher..The grandchildless gene aub of Drosophila melanogaster encodes the piRNA-binding protein Aubergine (Aub), which is essential for formation of primordial germ cells (PGCs)...
- Pane A, Jiang P, Zhao D, Singh M, Schupbach T. The Cutoff protein regulates piRNA cluster expression and piRNA production in the Drosophila germline. EMBO J. 2011;30:4601-15 pubmed publisher..Our results unveil a link between Cuff activity, heterochromatin assembly and piRNA cluster expression, which is critical for stem-cell and germ-cell development in Drosophila. ..
- Pelisson A, Sarot E, Payen Groschêne G, Bucheton A. A novel repeat-associated small interfering RNA-mediated silencing pathway downregulates complementary sense gypsy transcripts in somatic cells of the Drosophila ovary. J Virol. 2007;81:1951-60 pubmed..The rasiRNA-associated protein Piwi (but not Aub) is required for gypsy silencing, whereas Dicer-2 (which makes siRNAs) is not...
- Perrat P, Dasgupta S, Wang J, Theurkauf W, Weng Z, Rosbash M, et al. Transposition-driven genomic heterogeneity in the Drosophila brain. Science. 2013;340:91-5 pubmed publisher..The Piwi-interacting RNA (piRNA) proteins Aubergine and Argonaute 3, known to suppress transposons in the fly germline, are expressed in the brain and appear less ..
- Shpiz S, Kwon D, Uneva A, Kim M, Klenov M, Rozovsky Y, et al. Characterization of Drosophila telomeric retroelement TAHRE: transcription, transpositions, and RNAi-based regulation of expression. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:2535-45 pubmed..of TAHRE transcripts in ovaries is strongly upregulated owing to mutations in the RNA interference genes spn-E, aub, piwi, and vasa locus. spn-E mutations eliminate TAHRE-specific short RNAs in the ovaries...
- Snee M, Macdonald P. Live imaging of nuage and polar granules: evidence against a precursor-product relationship and a novel role for Oskar in stabilization of polar granule components. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:2109-20 pubmed..role of this organelle, but in Drosophila three nuage components have been identified, the Vasa, Tudor and Aubergine proteins...
- Lau N, Robine N, Martin R, Chung W, Niki Y, Berezikov E, et al. Abundant primary piRNAs, endo-siRNAs, and microRNAs in a Drosophila ovary cell line. Genome Res. 2009;19:1776-85 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the restriction of certain TEs in somatic gonadal cells is largely mediated by a primary piRNA pathway. ..
- Kavi H, Fernandez H, Xie W, Birchler J. RNA silencing in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5940-9 pubmed..RNA silencing processes in Drosophila are described. ..
- Williams R, Rubin G. ARGONAUTE1 is required for efficient RNA interference in Drosophila embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:6889-94 pubmed..Furthermore, AGO1 is not required for siRNA production in vitro nor can the introduction of siRNA bypass AGO1 mutants in vivo. These data suggest that AGO1 functions downstream of siRNA production...
- Kotelnikov R, Klenov M, Rozovsky Y, Olenina L, Kibanov M, Gvozdev V. Peculiarities of piRNA-mediated post-transcriptional silencing of Stellate repeats in testes of Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:3254-63 pubmed publisher..We found a significant amount of Su(Ste) piRNAs and piRNA-interacting protein Aubergine (Aub) in the nuclear fraction...
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..