Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Atx2
Alias: ATX2, Atx-2, Atxain-2, BEST:GH27029, CG5166, CG5166a, Datx2, Dmel\CG5166, GH27029, SCA2, Sca2, anon-EST:fe2E1, anon-WO0118547.351, anon-WO0140519.1, atx-2, atx2, dAtx2, dSCA2, l(3)06490, Ataxin-2, ATAXIN-2, Atx2-PA, Atx2-PB, Atx2-PC, Atx2-PD, CG5166-PA, CG5166-PB, CG5166-PC, CG5166-PD, anon-fast-evolving-2E1, ataxin 2, dAtaxin-2
Species: fruit fly
- Costa A, Pazman C, Sinsimer K, Wong L, McLeod I, Yates J, et al. Rasputin functions as a positive regulator of orb in Drosophila oogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72864 pubmed publisher..Tandem Mass Spectrometry analysis shows that several canonical stress granule proteins are associated with the Orb-Rin complex suggesting that a conserved mRNP complex regulates localized translation during oogenesis in Drosophila. ..
- Ruby J, Jan C, Bartel D. Intronic microRNA precursors that bypass Drosha processing. Nature. 2007;448:83-6 pubmed..This suggests that other lineages with many similarly sized introns probably also have mirtrons, and that the mirtron pathway could have provided an early avenue for the emergence of miRNAs before the advent of Drosha. ..
- Sun X, Morozova T, Sonnenfeld M. Glial and neuronal functions of the Drosophila homolog of the human SWI/SNF gene ATR-X (DATR-X) and the jing zinc-finger gene specify the lateral positioning of longitudinal glia and axons. Genetics. 2006;173:1397-415 pubmed
- Tastan O, Maines J, Li Y, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Drosophila ataxin 2-binding protein 1 marks an intermediate step in the molecular differentiation of female germline cysts. Development. 2010;137:3167-76 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that the early development of germline cysts depends on the Drosophila homolog of the human ataxin 2-binding protein 1 (A2BP1) gene...
- Kumar S. Cell death in the fly comes of age. Cell Death Differ. 2000;7:1021-4 pubmed
- McCann C, Holohan E, Das S, Dervan A, Larkin A, Lee J, et al. The Ataxin-2 protein is required for microRNA function and synapse-specific long-term olfactory habituation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:E655-62 pubmed publisher..local interneurons observed during long-term olfactory habituation (LTH) requires the Ataxin-2 protein (Atx2) to function in uniglomerular projection neurons (PNs) postsynaptic to local interneurons (LNs)...
- Sudhakaran I, Hillebrand J, Dervan A, Das S, Holohan E, H lsmeier J, et al. FMRP and Ataxin-2 function together in long-term olfactory habituation and neuronal translational control. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E99-E108 pubmed publisherFragile X mental retardation protein (FMRP) and Ataxin-2 (Atx2) are triplet expansion disease- and stress granule-associated proteins implicated in neuronal translational control and microRNA function...
- Toret C, D Ambrosio M, Vale R, Simon M, Nelson W. A genome-wide screen identifies conserved protein hubs required for cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:265-79 pubmed publisher..These experiments reveal roles for a diversity of cellular pathways that are required for cadherin function in Metazoa, including cytoskeleton organization, cell-substrate interactions, and nuclear and cytoplasmic signaling. ..
- Lim C, Allada R. ATAXIN-2 activates PERIOD translation to sustain circadian rhythms in Drosophila. Science. 2013;340:875-9 pubmed publisher..We found that ATAXIN-2 (ATX2), an RNA-associated protein involved in neurodegenerative disease, is a translational activator of the rate-..
- Zhang Y, Ling J, Yuan C, Dubruille R, Emery P. A role for Drosophila ATX2 in activation of PER translation and circadian behavior. Science. 2013;340:879-82 pubmed publisher..We found that the Drosophila homolog of ATAXIN-2 (ATX2)--an RNA-binding protein implicated in human neurodegenerative diseases--was required for circadian locomotor ..
- Na D, Rouf M, O Kane C, Rubinsztein D, Gsponer J. NeuroGeM, a knowledgebase of genetic modifiers in neurodegenerative diseases. BMC Med Genomics. 2013;6:52 pubmed publisher..For instance, we reveal that the Drosophila genes DnaJ-1, thread, Atx2, and mub are generic modifiers that affect multiple if not all NDs...
- Lee J, Yoo E, Lee H, Park K, Hur J, Lim C. LSM12 and ME31B/DDX6 Define Distinct Modes of Posttranscriptional Regulation by ATAXIN-2 Protein Complex in Drosophila Circadian Pacemaker Neurons. Mol Cell. 2017;66:129-140.e7 pubmed publisherATAXIN-2 (ATX2) has been implicated in human neurodegenerative diseases, yet it remains elusive how ATX2 assembles specific protein complexes to execute its physiological roles...
- Yu Z, Teng X, Bonini N. Triplet repeat-derived siRNAs enhance RNA-mediated toxicity in a Drosophila model for myotonic dystrophy. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001340 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that the generation of triplet repeat-derived siRNAs may dramatically enhance toxicity in human repeat expansion diseases in which anti-sense transcription occurs...