Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Atpalpha
Description: Na pump alpha subunit
Alias: (Na[+]/k[+])-ATPase, ATP-alpha, ATPBagr, ATPa, ATPalpha, Atp a, Atpa, CG5670, Da-47, Dmel\CG5670, K ATPase, K-ATPase, K[+] -ATPase, K[+]-ATPase, K[+]-ATPase alpha subunit, K[+]-ATPase alpha-subunit, Na+-K+-ATPase, Na+/K+ ATPase alpha subunit, Na-p, Na/K ATPase, Na/K-ATPase, Na/K-ATPase alpha-subunit, NaK, NaK ATPase, Na[+], Na[+]-K[+]-ATPase alpha[]-subunit, Na[+]/K[+] ATPase, Na[+]/K[+]-ATPase, Na[+]/K[+]ATPase, Na[+]K[+] ATPase, Na[+]K[+]-ATPase, Na[+]K[+]ATPase, atpalpha, dnATPase, l(3)01164, l(3)01453, l(3)04492, l(3)j3B2, l(3)j3B7, l(3)j6A4, l(3)rM454, l(3)ry136, sodium/potassium transporting ATPase alpha, Na pump alpha subunit, (Na[+] + K[+])-ATPase alpha-subunit, (Na[+],K[+])ATPase alpha subunit, ATPalpha, ATPase alpha, ATPase alpha subunit, Atpalpha-PA, Atpalpha-PB, Atpalpha-PC, Atpalpha-PD, Atpalpha-PE, Atpalpha-PF, Atpalpha-PG, Atpalpha-PH, Atpalpha-PI, Atpalpha-PJ, Atpalpha-PK, CG5670-PA, CG5670-PB, CG5670-PC, CG5670-PD, CG5670-PE, CG5670-PF, CG5670-PG, CG5670-PH, CG5670-PI, CG5670-PJ, CG5670-PK, Na+,K+ ATPase alpha-subunit, Na, K ATPase a subunit, Na,K ATPase, Na,K ATPase alpha subunit, Na,K-ATPase, Na,K-ATPase alpha, Na,K-ATPase alpha subunit, Na,K-ATPase alpha-subunit, Na[ +], K[ +] -ATPase, Na[+] pump alpha subunit, Na[+], K[+] ATPase alpha, Na[+],K[+] ATPase alpha subunit, Na[+],K[+]-ATPase alpha subunit, Na[+]-K[+] ATPase, Na[+]/K[+] ATPase (alpha subunit), Na[+]/K[+] ATPase alpha subunit, Na[+]K[+] ATPase alpha subunit, Na[+]K[+]ATPase, alpha-subunit of ATPase, sodium pump alpha subunit, sodium pump alpha-subunit
Species: fruit fly
- Laprise P, Lau K, Harris K, Silva Gagliardi N, Paul S, Beronja S, et al. Yurt, Coracle, Neurexin IV and the Na(+),K(+)-ATPase form a novel group of epithelial polarity proteins. Nature. 2009;459:1141-5 pubmed publisher..We also find that the mammalian Yrt orthologue EPB41L5 (also known as YMO1 and Limulus) is required for lateral membrane formation, indicating a conserved function of Yrt proteins in epithelial polarity. ..
- Tonning A, Hemphälä J, Tång E, Nannmark U, Samakovlis C, Uv A. A transient luminal chitinous matrix is required to model epithelial tube diameter in the Drosophila trachea. Dev Cell. 2005;9:423-30 pubmed..We propose that the transient luminal protein/polysaccharide matrix is sensed by the epithelial cells and coordinates cytoskeletal organization to ensure uniform lumen diameter. ..
- Lee J, Coyne R, Dubreuil R, Goldstein L, Branton D. Cell shape and interaction defects in alpha-spectrin mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 1993;123:1797-809 pubmed
- Pulver S, Griffith L. Spike integration and cellular memory in a rhythmic network from Na+/K+ pump current dynamics. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:53-9 pubmed publisher..This current also interacted with endogenous Shal K(+) conductances to modulate spike timing for multiple seconds following rhythmic activity, providing a cellular memory of network activity on a behaviorally relevant timescale. ..
- Trotta N, Rodesch C, Fergestad T, Broadie K. Cellular bases of activity-dependent paralysis in Drosophila stress-sensitive mutants. J Neurobiol. 2004;60:328-47 pubmed..which encodes a mitochondrial ADP/ATP translocase (ANT); and Atpalpha(2206), a conditional mutant of the Na+/K+ ATPase alpha-subunit...
- Schubiger M, Feng Y, Fambrough D, Palka J. A mutation of the Drosophila sodium pump alpha subunit gene results in bang-sensitive paralysis. Neuron. 1994;12:373-81 pubmed..The P element insert is localized at 93B1-2 on the salivary chromosomes, the site of the (Na+,K+)ATPase alpha subunit gene...
- Paul S, Ternet M, Salvaterra P, Beitel G. The Na+/K+ ATPase is required for septate junction function and epithelial tube-size control in the Drosophila tracheal system. Development. 2003;130:4963-74 pubmed..We show that mutations in the ATPalpha alpha and nrv2 beta subunits of the Na+/K+ ATPase cause Drosophila tracheal tubes to have increased lengths and ..
- Paul S, Palladino M, Beitel G. A pump-independent function of the Na,K-ATPase is required for epithelial junction function and tracheal tube-size control. Development. 2007;134:147-55 pubmed..Importantly, mutations predicted to inactivate ATPalpha catalytic function do not compromise junctional activity, demonstrating that the Drosophila Na,K-ATPase has an ..
- Hemphälä J, Uv A, Cantera R, Bray S, Samakovlis C. Grainy head controls apical membrane growth and tube elongation in response to Branchless/FGF signalling. Development. 2003;130:249-58 pubmed
- Baumann O. Posterior midgut epithelial cells differ in their organization of the membrane skeleton from other drosophila epithelia. Exp Cell Res. 2001;270:176-87 pubmed
- Fergestad T, Olson L, Patel K, Miller R, Palladino M, Ganetzky B. Neuropathology in Drosophila mutants with increased seizure susceptibility. Genetics. 2008;178:947-56 pubmed publisher..metabolism and since the Na(+)/K(+) ATPase consumes the majority of ATP in neurons, we examined the effect of ATPalpha mutations in combination with bang-sensitive mutations...
- Lebovitz R, Takeyasu K, Fambrough D. Molecular characterization and expression of the (Na+ + K+)-ATPase alpha-subunit in Drosophila melanogaster. EMBO J. 1989;8:193-202 pubmed..Only one gene was found in Drosophila, located on the third chromosome at position 93B. A restriction site polymorphism has been found, and several mutations exist that may involve the alpha-subunit gene. ..
- Wu V, Schulte J, Hirschi A, Tepass U, Beitel G. Sinuous is a Drosophila claudin required for septate junction organization and epithelial tube size control. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:313-23 pubmed
- Feng Y, Huynh L, Takeyasu K, Fambrough D. The Drosophila Na,K-ATPase alpha-subunit gene: gene structure, promoter function and analysis of a cold-sensitive recessive-lethal mutation. Genes Funct. 1997;1:99-117 pubmed..Temperature-sensitive transcriptional regulation of the Na,K-ATPase alpha-subunit in Drosophila is a plausible mechanistic candidate for the factor driving temperature-dependent up-..
- Palladino M, Bower J, Kreber R, Ganetzky B. Neural dysfunction and neurodegeneration in Drosophila Na+/K+ ATPase alpha subunit mutants. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1276-86 pubmed..We have also discovered that the ATPalpha transcripts undergo alternative splicing that substantially increases the diversity of potential proteins...
- Górska Andrzejak J. Glia-related circadian plasticity in the visual system of Diptera. Front Physiol. 2013;4:36 pubmed publisher..This paper summarizes the morphological and biochemical rhythms in glia of the optic lobe, shows how they contribute to circadian plasticity, and discusses how glial clocks may modulate circadian rhythms in the lamina. ..
- Li Y, Danzer J, Alvarez P, Belmont A, Wallrath L. Effects of tethering HP1 to euchromatic regions of the Drosophila genome. Development. 2003;130:1817-24 pubmed..Silencing was not dependent on SU(VAR)3-9 dosage, suggesting a bypass of the requirement for histone methylation...
- Li B, Satoh A, Ready D. Myosin V, Rab11, and dRip11 direct apical secretion and cellular morphogenesis in developing Drosophila photoreceptors. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:659-69 pubmed..A protein trio conserved across eukaryotes thus mediates normal, in vivo sensory neuron morphogenesis. ..
- Mack N, Georgiou M. The interdependence of the Rho GTPases and apicobasal cell polarity. Small Gtpases. 2014;5:10 pubmed publisher..Regarding this latter theme, we provide further discussion of the potential plasticity of the cell polarity machinery and as a result the possible implications for human disease. ..
- Damulewicz M, Loboda A, Bukowska Strakova K, Jozkowicz A, Dulak J, Pyza E. Clock and clock-controlled genes are differently expressed in the retina, lamina and in selected cells of the visual system of Drosophila melanogaster. Front Cell Neurosci. 2015;9:353 pubmed publisher..The retina holds the autonomous oscillators but the expression of cry and ccgs, AtpÎ± and nrv2, is also regulated by inputs from the pacemaker transmitted by PDF and ITP neuropeptides. ..
- Satoh T, Ohba A, Liu Z, Inagaki T, Satoh A. dPob/EMC is essential for biosynthesis of rhodopsin and other multi-pass membrane proteins in Drosophila photoreceptors. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..These results collectively indicate that EMC is a key factor in the biogenesis of multi-pass transmembrane proteins, including Rh1, and its loss causes retinal degeneration. ..
- Iwanami N, Nakamura Y, Satoh T, Liu Z, Satoh A. Rab6 Is Required for Multiple Apical Transport Pathways but Not the Basolateral Transport Pathway in Drosophila Photoreceptors. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005828 pubmed publisher..However, basolateral cargos are sorted and exported from the trans-Golgi network in a Rab6-independent manner. ..
- Nelson K, Furuse M, Beitel G. The Drosophila Claudin Kune-kune is required for septate junction organization and tracheal tube size control. Genetics. 2010;185:831-9 pubmed publisher..Double- and triple-mutant combinations of Sinuous and Megatrachea with Kune-kune resemble the Kune-kune single mutant, suggesting that Kune-kune has a more central role in septate junction formation than either Sinuous or Megatrachea. ..
- Khanna M, Stanley B, Thomas G. Towards a membrane proteome in Drosophila: a method for the isolation of plasma membrane. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:302 pubmed publisher..This points the way for further adaptations into other systems. ..
- Schulte J, Charish K, Que J, Ravn S, MacKinnon C, Auld V. Gliotactin and Discs large form a protein complex at the tricellular junction of polarized epithelial cells in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4391-401 pubmed..Finally this work supports a model where Gliotactin and Dlg are components of a larger protein complex that links the converging SJs with the TCJ to create the transepithelial barrier. ..
- Moyer K, Jacobs J. Varicose: a MAGUK required for the maturation and function of Drosophila septate junctions. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:99 pubmed publisher..Varicose is involved in scaffold assembly at the SJ and has a role in patterning and morphogenesis of adult epithelia. ..
- Yang M, Nelson D, Funakoshi Y, Padgett R. Genome-wide microarray analysis of TGFbeta signaling in the Drosophila brain. BMC Dev Biol. 2004;4:14 pubmed..Many of these genes are novel and several genes are implicated in growth control. Among the genes regulated by both pathways is ultraspiracle, which further connects TGFbeta with neuronal remodeling. ..
- Russell M, Ostafichuk L, Scanga S. Lethal P-lacZ insertion lines expressed during pattern respecification in the imaginal discs of Drosophila. Genome. 1998;41:7-13 pubmed..One is an allele of schnurri, a gene that encodes a component of the decapentaplegic (dpp) signal transduction pathway used for positional signalling in the embryo and in imaginal discs. ..
- Gohl D, Freifeld L, Silies M, Hwa J, Horowitz M, Clandinin T. Large-scale mapping of transposable element insertion sites using digital encoding of sample identity. Genetics. 2014;196:615-23 pubmed publisher..We describe an approach in which large numbers of insertion lines can be simultaneously mapped in a single DNA sequencing reaction by using digital error-correcting codes to encode line identity in a unique set of barcoded pools. ..
- Torrie L, Radford J, Southall T, Kean L, Dinsmore A, Davies S, et al. Resolution of the insect ouabain paradox. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:13689-93 pubmed..These data show that the Na(+),K(+) ATPase, previously thought to be unimportant, may be as vital in insect tissues as in vertebrates, but can be cryptic to conventional pharmacology...
- Chen C, Buhl E, Xu M, Croset V, Rees J, Lilley K, et al. Drosophila Ionotropic Receptor 25a mediates circadian clock resetting by temperature. Nature. 2015;527:516-20 pubmed publisher..This pathway operates in the absence of known 'hot' and 'cold' sensors in the Drosophila antenna, revealing the existence of novel periphery-to-brain temperature signalling channels. ..
- Kapelnikov A, Rivlin P, Hoy R, Heifetz Y. Tissue remodeling: a mating-induced differentiation program for the Drosophila oviduct. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:114 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results establish the oviduct as an attractive system to address mechanisms that regulate the late stages of differentiation and maintenance of a tubular organ. ..
- Schwarz E, Benzer S. Calx, a Na-Ca exchanger gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:10249-54 pubmed..The Calx genomic locus comprises >/=35 kb between the Atpalpha and rudimentary-like genes in chromosomal region 93B...
- Loevenich S, Brunner E, King N, Deutsch E, Stein S, Aebersold R, et al. The Drosophila melanogaster PeptideAtlas facilitates the use of peptide data for improved fly proteomics and genome annotation. BMC Bioinformatics. 2009;10:59 pubmed publisher..While the database consists of proteomic data it is not required that the user is a proteomics expert. ..
- Dalla S, Swarts H, Koenderink J, Dobler S. Amino acid substitutions of Na,K-ATPase conferring decreased sensitivity to cardenolides in insects compared to mammals. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;43:1109-15 pubmed publisher..Obviously, the intense selection pressure on cardenolide exposed insects has resulted in very efficient substitutions that decrease cardenolide sensitivity extremely. ..
- Chen Q, Haddad G. Role of trehalose phosphate synthase and trehalose during hypoxia: from flies to mammals. J Exp Biol. 2004;207:3125-9 pubmed..The mechanism of this protection is probably related to a decrease in protein denaturation through protein-trehalose interactions. ..
- Roy M, Sivan Loukianova E, Eberl D. Cell-type-specific roles of Na+/K+ ATPase subunits in Drosophila auditory mechanosensation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:181-6 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide an amenable model to investigate generation of endolymph-like extracellular compartments. ..
- Chew S, Chen P, Link N, GALINDO K, Pogue K, Abrams J. Genome-wide silencing in Drosophila captures conserved apoptotic effectors. Nature. 2009;460:123-7 pubmed publisher..Similarly, the human Tango7 counterpart, PCID1 (also known as EIF3M), impinged on caspase 9, revealing a new regulatory axis affecting the apoptosome. ..
- Hurd D, Stern M, Saxton W. Mutation of the axonal transport motor kinesin enhances paralytic and suppresses Shaker in Drosophila. Genetics. 1996;142:195-204 pubmed..We hypothesize that a loss of kinesin function inhibits the anterograde axonal transport of vesicles bearing sodium channels. ..
- Baumann O, Salvaterra P, Takeyasu K. Developmental changes in beta-subunit composition of Na,K-ATPase in the Drosophila eye. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;340:215-28 pubmed publisher..also encodes for a functional Na,K-ATPase beta-subunit, as its protein product co-precipitates with the Na,K-ATPase alpha-subunit...
- Clyne P, Brotman J, Sweeney S, Davis G. Green fluorescent protein tagging Drosophila proteins at their native genomic loci with small P elements. Genetics. 2003;165:1433-41 pubmed..This technology allows the generation of GFP-tagged reagents on a genome-wide scale with diverse potential applications. ..
- Varadi A, Gilmore Heber M, Benz E. Amplification of the phosphorylation site-ATP-binding site cDNA fragment of the Na+,K(+)-ATPase and the Ca2(+)-ATPase of Drosophila melanogaster by polymerase chain reaction. FEBS Lett. 1989;258:203-7 pubmed..Three different mRNA species are processed from the Na+,K(+)-ATPase gene and one from the Ca2(+)-ATPase gene. Developmental control in expression of the Ca2(+)-ATPase gene was observed. ..
- Tiklová K, Senti K, Wang S, Gräslund A, Samakovlis C. Epithelial septate junction assembly relies on melanotransferrin iron binding and endocytosis in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1071-7 pubmed publisher..Mouse MTf complements the defects of Drosophila MTf mutants. Drosophila provides the first genetic model for the functional dissection of MTf in epithelial junction assembly and morphogenesis. ..
- Dobler S, Dalla S, Wagschal V, Agrawal A. Community-wide convergent evolution in insect adaptation to toxic cardenolides by substitutions in the Na,K-ATPase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:13040-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, even across deep phylogenetic branches, evolutionary degrees of freedom seem to be limited by physiological constraints, such that the same molecular substitutions confer adaptation. ..
- MacMillan H, Ferguson L, Nicolai A, Donini A, Staples J, Sinclair B. Parallel ionoregulatory adjustments underlie phenotypic plasticity and evolution of Drosophila cold tolerance. J Exp Biol. 2015;218:423-32 pubmed publisher..We propose that this could have served as an evolutionary route by which chill-susceptible insects developed more extreme cold tolerance strategies. ..
- Sciortino C, Shrode L, Fletcher B, Harte P, Romero M. Localization of endogenous and recombinant Na(+)-driven anion exchanger protein NDAE1 from Drosophila melanogaster. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001;281:C449-63 pubmed..Coimmunolabeling of larval tissues with NDAE1 antibody and a monoclonal antibody to the Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase alpha-subunit revealed that the majority of NDAE1 is located at the basolateral membranes of Malpighian tubule cells...
- Yasuhara J, Baumann O, Takeyasu K. Localization of Na/K-ATPase in developing and adult Drosophila melanogaster photoreceptors. Cell Tissue Res. 2000;300:239-49 pubmed..These results suggest that Na/K-ATPase and rhodopsin are involved in distinct intracellular localization mechanisms, which are maintained independent of each other. ..
- Fergestad T, Ganetzky B, Palladino M. Neuropathology in Drosophila membrane excitability mutants. Genetics. 2006;172:1031-42 pubmed..Disruption of these signaling mechanisms in any of a variety of ways increases the incidence of neurodegeneration. ..
- Gautam N, Verma P, Tapadia M. Ecdysone regulates morphogenesis and function of Malpighian tubules in Drosophila melanogaster through EcR-B2 isoform. Dev Biol. 2015;398:163-76 pubmed publisher..B2 isoform of ecdysone receptor is critical for the development of Malpighian tubules and is expressed from early stages of its development. ..
- Jayanandanan N, Gavis E, Riechmann V, Leptin M. A genetic in vivo system to detect asymmetrically distributed RNA. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:1167-74 pubmed publisher..A pilot screen in a highly polarized, differentiated cell in the Drosophila larva, the branched terminal cell of the tracheal system, demonstrates the feasibility of the method for identifying new asymmetrically localized mRNAs in vivo. ..
- Peterson S, Krasnow M. Subcellular trafficking of FGF controls tracheal invasion of Drosophila flight muscle. Cell. 2015;160:313-23 pubmed publisher..We propose that tracheal invasion is controlled by an AP-1-dependent switch in FGF trafficking. Thus, subcellular targeting of a chemoattractant can direct outgrowth to specific domains, including inside theÂ cell. ..
- Jayaram S, Senti K, Tiklová K, Tsarouhas V, Hemphälä J, Samakovlis C. COPI vesicle transport is a common requirement for tube expansion in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1964 pubmed publisher..Thus, the programmed deposition and growth of distinct luminal molds may provide distending forces during tube expansion in diverse organs. ..
- Luan Z, Reddig K, Li H. Loss of Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase in Drosophila photoreceptors leads to blindness and age-dependent neurodegeneration. Exp Neurol. 2014;261:791-801 pubmed publisher..This work also establishes Drosophila photoreceptors as a genetic model for studying the cell-autonomous mechanisms underlying neuronal Na(+)/K(+) ATPase deficiency-mediated neurodegeneration. ..
- Van Vranken J, Bricker D, Dephoure N, Gygi S, Cox J, Thummel C, et al. SDHAF4 promotes mitochondrial succinate dehydrogenase activity and prevents neurodegeneration. Cell Metab. 2014;20:241-52 pubmed publisher..These studies provide insights into the mechanisms by which SDH is assembled and raise the possibility that some forms of neuromuscular disease may be associated with mutations that affect this SDH assembly factor. ..
- Pavlidis P, Tanouye M. Seizures and failures in the giant fiber pathway of Drosophila bang-sensitive paralytic mutants. J Neurosci. 1995;15:5810-9 pubmed..This hypothesis is supported by the finding that, in double mutant combination with mlenapts, which suppresses behavioral bang sensitivity, DLM failures, but not seizures, were reduced. ..
- Bohrmann J, Braun B. Na,K-ATPase and V-ATPase in ovarian follicles of Drosophila melanogaster. Biol Cell. 1999;91:85-98 pubmed
- Liu Z, Celotto A, Romero G, Wipf P, Palladino M. Genetically encoded redox sensor identifies the role of ROS in degenerative and mitochondrial disease pathogenesis. Neurobiol Dis. 2012;45:362-8 pubmed publisher..These studies identify the role of ROS in pathogenesis associated with mitochondrial disease and demonstrate the utility of genetically encoded redox sensors in Drosophila. ..
- Verma P, Tapadia M. Epithelial immune response in Drosophila malpighian tubules: interplay between Diap2 and ion channels. J Cell Physiol. 2014;229:1078-95 pubmed publisher..Thus Diap2 seems to be a key regulator of epithelial immune response in MTs, perhaps by modulating ion channels. ..
- Chen Q, Ma E, Behar K, Xu T, Haddad G. Role of trehalose phosphate synthase in anoxia tolerance and development in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:3274-9 pubmed..We conclude that trehalose contributes to anoxia tolerance in flies; this protection is likely to be due to a reduction of protein aggregation. ..