Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Atg8a
Description: Autophagy-related 8a
Alias: ATG8, ATG8/LC3, ATG8a, Atg8, Atg8/LC3, Atg8A, BcDNA:LD05816, CG1534, CG32672, DmAtg8a, Dmel\CG32672, DrAtg8a, LC3, LC3/Atg8, atg8, atg8A, atg8a, Autophagy-related 8a, Atg8a-PA, Atg8a-PB, Atg8a-PC, Autophagy-specific gene 8a, CG32672-PA, CG32672-PB, CG32672-PC, autophagy-related 8a
Species: fruit fly
- McPhee C, Logan M, Freeman M, Baehrecke E. Activation of autophagy during cell death requires the engulfment receptor Draper. Nature. 2010;465:1093-6 pubmed publisher..Further, Drpr is the first factor that distinguishes autophagy that is associated with cell death from autophagy associated with cell survival...
- Kohler K, Brunner E, Guan X, Boucke K, Greber U, Mohanty S, et al. A combined proteomic and genetic analysis identifies a role for the lipid desaturase Desat1 in starvation-induced autophagy in Drosophila. Autophagy. 2009;5:980-90 pubmed..Lipid analyses revealed that Desat1 regulates the composition of lipids in Drosophila. We propose that Desat1 exerts its role in autophagy by controlling lipid biosynthesis and/or signaling necessary for autophagic responses...
- Berry D, Baehrecke E. Growth arrest and autophagy are required for salivary gland cell degradation in Drosophila. Cell. 2007;131:1137-48 pubmed
- Nagy P, Varga A, Pircs K, HegedÅ±s K, JuhÃ¡sz G. Myc-driven overgrowth requires unfolded protein response-mediated induction of autophagy and antioxidant responses in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003664 pubmed publisher..These novel results give additional support for finding future approaches to specifically inhibit the growth of cancer cells addicted to oncogenic Myc. ..
- Juhasz G, Hill J, Yan Y, Sass M, Baehrecke E, Backer J, et al. The class III PI(3)K Vps34 promotes autophagy and endocytosis but not TOR signaling in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:655-66 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Vps34 is regulated by TOR-dependent nutrient signals directly at sites of autophagosome formation. ..
- Denton D, Chang T, Nicolson S, Shravage B, Simin R, Baehrecke E, et al. Relationship between growth arrest and autophagy in midgut programmed cell death in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:1299-307 pubmed publisher..Despite the roles of autophagy in both survival and death, our findings suggest that autophagy induction occurs in response to similar signals in both scenarios. ..
- Nezis I, Lamark T, Velentzas A, Rusten T, Bjørkøy G, Johansen T, et al. Cell death during Drosophila melanogaster early oogenesis is mediated through autophagy. Autophagy. 2009;5:298-302 pubmed..cells exhibit caspase activation, chromatin condensation, DNA fragmentation and punctate staining of mCherry-DrAtg8a, a novel marker for monitoring autophagy in Drosophila...
- Bánréti A, Lukacsovich T, Csikós G, Erdelyi M, Sass M. PP2A regulates autophagy in two alternative ways in Drosophila. Autophagy. 2012;8:623-36 pubmed publisher..We also identified three Drosophila Atg orthologs (Atg14, Atg17 and Atg101), which represent potential targets of the PP2A-A/B'/C complex during autophagy. ..
- Gupta V, Scheunemann L, Eisenberg T, Mertel S, Bhukel A, Koemans T, et al. Restoring polyamines protects from age-induced memory impairment in an autophagy-dependent manner. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1453-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that autophagy is critical for suppression of memory impairments by spermidine and that polyamines, which are endogenously present, are candidates for pharmacological intervention. ..
- Nezis I, Simonsen A, Sagona A, Finley K, Gaumer S, Contamine D, et al. Ref(2)P, the Drosophila melanogaster homologue of mammalian p62, is required for the formation of protein aggregates in adult brain. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:1065-71 pubmed publisher..melanogaster models of human neurodegenerative diseases. Although atg8a autophagy mutant flies show accumulation of ubiquitin- and Ref(2)P-positive protein aggregates, this is abrogated ..
- Alemu E, Lamark T, Torgersen K, Birgisdottir A, Larsen K, Jain A, et al. ATG8 family proteins act as scaffolds for assembly of the ULK complex: sequence requirements for LC3-interacting region (LIR) motifs. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:39275-90 pubmed publisher..have used pulldown and peptide array overlay assays to study interactions between the ULK complex and six different ATG8 family proteins...
- Politi Y, Gal L, Kalifa Y, Ravid L, Elazar Z, Arama E. Paternal mitochondrial destruction after fertilization is mediated by a common endocytic and autophagic pathway in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2014;29:305-20 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the ubiquitin ligase Parkin is not involved in PMD, implying a divergence from the autophagic pathway of damaged mitochondria. ..
- Rahman M, Haberman A, Tracy C, Ray S, KRAMER H. Drosophila mauve mutants reveal a role of LYST homologs late in the maturation of phagosomes and autophagosomes. Traffic. 2012;13:1680-92 pubmed publisher..Together these data suggest a model in which Mauve functions to restrict homotypic fusion of different pre-lysosomal organelles and LROs. ..
- Simonsen A, Cumming R, Brech A, Isakson P, SCHUBERT D, Finley K. Promoting basal levels of autophagy in the nervous system enhances longevity and oxidant resistance in adult Drosophila. Autophagy. 2008;4:176-84 pubmed..Mutations in the Atg8a gene (autophagy-related 8a) result in reduced lifespan, IUP accumulation and increased sensitivity to oxidative ..
- Juhasz G, Erdi B, Sass M, Neufeld T. Atg7-dependent autophagy promotes neuronal health, stress tolerance, and longevity but is dispensable for metamorphosis in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2007;21:3061-6 pubmed..Thus, normal levels of autophagy are crucial for stress survival and continuous cellular renewal, but not metamorphosis. ..
- Chang Y, Neufeld T. An Atg1/Atg13 complex with multiple roles in TOR-mediated autophagy regulation. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2004-14 pubmed publisher..effects of normal Atg13 levels, increased expression of Atg13 inhibits autophagosome expansion and recruitment of Atg8/LC3, potentially by decreasing the stability of Atg1 and facilitating its inhibitory phosphorylation by TOR...
- Nagy P, KÃ¡rpÃ¡ti M, Varga A, Pircs K, Venkei Z, TakÃ¡ts S, et al. Atg17/FIP200 localizes to perilysosomal Ref(2)P aggregates and promotes autophagy by activation of Atg1 in Drosophila. Autophagy. 2014;10:453-67 pubmed publisher..We propose a model according to which the relative activity of Atg1, estimated by the ratio of hyper- to hypophosphorylated Atg13, contributes to setting low (basal) vs. high (starvation-induced) autophagy levels in Drosophila. ..
- Devorkin L, Go N, Hou Y, Moradian A, Morin G, Gorski S. The Drosophila effector caspase Dcp-1 regulates mitochondrial dynamics and autophagic flux via SesB. J Cell Biol. 2014;205:477-92 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a new mitochondrial-associated molecular link between nonapoptotic caspase function and autophagy regulation in vivo. ..
- TakÃ¡ts S, Pircs K, Nagy P, Varga Ã, KÃ¡rpÃ¡ti M, HegedÅ±s K, et al. Interaction of the HOPS complex with Syntaxin 17 mediates autophagosome clearance in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1338-54 pubmed publisher..Our results establish the role of HOPS and its likely mechanism of action during autophagy in metazoans. ..
- Barth J, Szabad J, Hafen E, Kohler K. Autophagy in Drosophila ovaries is induced by starvation and is required for oogenesis. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:915-24 pubmed publisher..Our data establish an important function for autophagy during oogenesis and contributes to the understanding of the role of autophagy in animal development...
- Kourtis N, Tavernarakis N. Autophagy and cell death in model organisms. Cell Death Differ. 2009;16:21-30 pubmed publisher..In this review, we survey current research in simple organisms, linking autophagy to cell death and discuss the complex interplay between autophagy, cell survival and cell death. ..
- Rusten T, Vaccari T, Lindmo K, Rodahl L, Nezis I, Sem Jacobsen C, et al. ESCRTs and Fab1 regulate distinct steps of autophagy. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1817-25 pubmed..Thus, this study links ESCRT function with autophagy and aggregate-induced neurodegeneration, thereby providing a plausible explanation for the fact that ESCRT mutations are involved in inherited neurodegenerative disease in humans . ..
- Williamson W, Wang D, Haberman A, Hiesinger P. A dual function of V0-ATPase a1 provides an endolysosomal degradation mechanism in Drosophila melanogaster photoreceptors. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:885-99 pubmed publisher..We propose that V100 exerts a temporally integrated dual function that increases neuronal degradative capacity. ..
- Kim M, Park H, Park H, Ro S, Nam S, Reed J, et al. Drosophila Fip200 is an essential regulator of autophagy that attenuates both growth and aging. Autophagy. 2013;9:1201-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Fip200 is a critical downstream component of Atg1 and specifically mediates Atg1's autophagy-, aging- and growth-regulating functions. ..
- Csikós G, Lippai M, Lukacsovich T, Juhasz G, Henn L, Erdelyi M, et al. A novel role for the Drosophila epsin (lqf): involvement in autophagy. Autophagy. 2009;5:636-48 pubmed..On the other hand, Lqf protein showed an exclusive colocalization with the LysoTracker Red- or GFP-Atg8a labeled autophagosomes...
- Wu H, Wang M, Bohmann D. JNK protects Drosophila from oxidative stress by trancriptionally activating autophagy. Mech Dev. 2009;126:624-37 pubmed publisher..Autophagy thus emerges as a multifunctional process that organisms employ in a variety of different situations using separate regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Tang H, Wang Y, Wang S, Wu M, Lin S, Chen G. Atg1-mediated myosin II activation regulates autophagosome formation during starvation-induced autophagy. EMBO J. 2011;30:636-51 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide evidence of a link between Atg1 and the control of Atg9-mediated autophagosome formation through the myosin II motor protein. ..
- Burman J, Yu S, Poole A, Decal R, Pallanck L. Analysis of neural subtypes reveals selective mitochondrial dysfunction in dopaminergic neurons from parkin mutants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:10438-43 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our neural purification method provides a foundation to further explore the pathogenesis of Parkinson disease, and to address other neurobiological questions requiring the analysis of defined neural cell types. ..
- Scott R, Juhasz G, Neufeld T. Direct induction of autophagy by Atg1 inhibits cell growth and induces apoptotic cell death. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1-11 pubmed..Furthermore, this work identifies autophagy as a critical mechanism by which inhibition of TOR signaling leads to reduced cell growth. ..
- Shravage B, Hill J, Powers C, Wu L, Baehrecke E. Atg6 is required for multiple vesicle trafficking pathways and hematopoiesis in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:1321-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, like mammals, altered Atg6 function in flies causes hematopoietic abnormalities and lethality, and our data indicate that this is due to defects in multiple membrane trafficking processes. ..
- ZIRIN J, Perrimon N. Drosophila as a model system to study autophagy. Semin Immunopathol. 2010;32:363-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the complex biology and physiology of Drosophila presents an opportunity to model human diseases in a tissue specific and analogous context. ..
- Demontis F, Perrimon N. FOXO/4E-BP signaling in Drosophila muscles regulates organism-wide proteostasis during aging. Cell. 2010;143:813-25 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal an organism-wide regulation of proteostasis in response to muscle aging and a key role of FOXO/4E-BP signaling in the coordination of organismal and tissue aging. ..
- ZIRIN J, Nieuwenhuis J, Perrimon N. Role of autophagy in glycogen breakdown and its relevance to chloroquine myopathy. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001708 pubmed publisher..we show that CQ-induced myopathy can be improved by reduction of either autophagy or glycogen synthesis, the latter possibly due to a direct role of Glycogen Synthase in regulating autophagy through its interaction with Atg8.
- Haberman A, Akbar M, Ray S, KRAMER H. Drosophila acinus encodes a novel regulator of endocytic and autophagic trafficking. Development. 2010;137:2157-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that dacn encodes a regulator of endosomal and autophagosomal dynamics, modulating developmental signaling and the cellular response to starvation. ..
- Lee G, Liang C, Park G, Jang C, Jung J, Chung J. UVRAG is required for organ rotation by regulating Notch endocytosis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2011;356:588-97 pubmed publisher..Consistently, UVRAG-mutated heterotaxy patient cells also display highly increased Notch protein levels. These results suggest evolutionarily conserved roles of UVRAG in organ rotation by regulating Notch endocytic degradation. ..
- Pircs K, Nagy P, Varga A, Venkei Z, Erdi B, Hegedus K, et al. Advantages and limitations of different p62-based assays for estimating autophagic activity in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44214 pubmed publisher..In addition, we also showed that overexpressed p62 or Atg8 reporters can strongly influence the phenotypes of each other, potentially giving rise to false or contradicting ..
- TakÃ¡ts S, Nagy P, Varga Ã, Pircs K, KÃ¡rpÃ¡ti M, Varga K, et al. Autophagosomal Syntaxin17-dependent lysosomal degradation maintains neuronal function in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:531-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal the molecular mechanism underlying autophagosomal fusion events and show that lysosomal degradation and recycling of sequestered autophagosome content is crucial to maintain proper functioning of the nervous system. ..
- Mohseni N, McMillan S, Chaudhary R, Mok J, Reed B. Autophagy promotes caspase-dependent cell death during Drosophila development. Autophagy. 2009;5:329-38 pubmed..Conversely, upregulation of autophagy results in caspase-dependent premature AS dissociation. These observations are consistent with the interpretation that autophagy is a prerequisite for caspase-dependent cell death in the AS. ..
- Nagy P, HegedÅ±s K, Pircs K, Varga Ã, JuhÃ¡sz G. Different effects of Atg2 and Atg18 mutations on Atg8a and Atg9 trafficking during starvation in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:408-13 pubmed publisher..Here we show that in Drosophila, both Atg9 and Atg18 are required for Atg8a puncta formation, unlike Atg2...
- Rusten T, Lindmo K, Juhasz G, Sass M, Seglen P, Brech A, et al. Programmed autophagy in the Drosophila fat body is induced by ecdysone through regulation of the PI3K pathway. Dev Cell. 2004;7:179-92 pubmed..Hence, these studies link hormonal induction of autophagy to the regulatory function of the PI3K signaling pathway in vivo. ..
- Jean S, Cox S, Nassari S, Kiger A. Starvation-induced MTMR13 and RAB21 activity regulates VAMP8 to promote autophagosome-lysosome fusion. EMBO Rep. 2015;16:297-311 pubmed publisher..These results identify starvation-responsive endosomal regulators and trafficking that tunes membrane demands with changing autophagy status. ..
- Park S, Lee Y, Pak J, Kim H, Choi H, Kim J, et al. O-GlcNAc modification is essential for the regulation of autophagy in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2015;72:3173-83 pubmed publisher..These data imply that O-GlcNAcylation is important in modulating autophagy as well as insulin signaling in Drosophila. ..
- Yang H, Yamashita Y. The regulated elimination of transit-amplifying cells preserves tissue homeostasis during protein starvation in Drosophila testis. Development. 2015;142:1756-66 pubmed publisher..We propose that the regulated elimination of transit-amplifying cells is essential to preserve stem cell function and tissue homeostasis during protein starvation. ..
- Bargiela A, Cerro Herreros E, Fernandez Costa J, Vilchez J, Llamusi B, Artero R. Increased autophagy and apoptosis contribute to muscle atrophy in a myotonic dystrophy type 1 Drosophila model. Dis Model Mech. 2015;8:679-90 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the signaling pathways involved in DM1 disease pathogenesis. ..
- Liu Z, Huang Y, Zhang Y, Chen D, Zhang Y. Drosophila Acyl-CoA synthetase long-chain family member 4 regulates axonal transport of synaptic vesicles and is required for synaptic development and transmission. J Neurosci. 2011;31:2052-63 pubmed publisher..protein, the late endosome/lysosome marker lysosome-associated membrane protein 1, the autophagosomal marker Atg8, and the multivesicular body marker Hrs (hepatocyte growth factor-regulated tyrosine kinase substrate)...
- Moskalev A, Plyusnina E, Shaposhnikov M. Radiation hormesis and radioadaptive response in Drosophila melanogaster flies with different genetic backgrounds: the role of cellular stress-resistance mechanisms. Biogerontology. 2011;12:253-63 pubmed publisher..The hormesis and radioadaptive responses were observed in flies with mutations in autophagy genes (atg7, atg8a) but absent in flies with mutations in FOXO, ATM, ATR, and p53 homologues...
- Nisoli I, Chauvin J, Napoletano F, Calamita P, Zanin V, Fanto M, et al. Neurodegeneration by polyglutamine Atrophin is not rescued by induction of autophagy. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:1577-87 pubmed publisher..Our data thus provide a crucial insight into the specific mechanism of a polyglutamine disease and reveal important differences in the role of autophagy with respect to other diseases of the same family. ..
- Goodliffe J, Cole M, Wieschaus E. Coordinated regulation of Myc trans-activation targets by Polycomb and the Trithorax group protein Ash1. BMC Mol Biol. 2007;8:40 pubmed
- Chen L, Song J, Lu J, Yuan Z, Liu L, Durairajan S, et al. Corynoxine, a natural autophagy enhancer, promotes the clearance of alpha-synuclein via Akt/mTOR pathway. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2014;9:380-7 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings provide experimental evidence for developing Cory as a new autophagy enhancer from Chinese herbal medicine, which may have potential application in the prevention or treatment of PD. ..
- Tracy K, Velentzas P, Baehrecke E. Ral GTPase and the exocyst regulate autophagy in a tissue-specific manner. EMBO Rep. 2016;17:110-21 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Ral and the exocyst regulate autophagy in a context-dependent manner, and that in dying salivary glands, Ral mediates autophagy, at least in part, by regulation of Notch. ..
- Bai H, Kang P, Hernandez A, Tatar M. Activin signaling targeted by insulin/dFOXO regulates aging and muscle proteostasis in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003941 pubmed publisher..Activin signaling through the Smad binding element inhibits the transcription of Autophagy-specific gene 8a (Atg8a) within muscle, a factor controlling the rate of autophagy...
- Shin J, Min S, Kim S, Kim Y, Park J, Lee H, et al. TAK1 regulates autophagic cell death by suppressing the phosphorylation of p70 S6 kinase 1. Sci Rep. 2013;3:1561 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first in vitro and in vivo evidence of TAK1-induced autophagy and we believe that our findings significantly contribute to the understanding of the mechanisms underlying the induction of autophagy. ..
- Devorkin L, Gorski S. Genetic manipulation of autophagy in the Drosophila ovary. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2014;2014:973-9 pubmed publisherFlies with mutations in Atg7 or Atg8a are homozygous viable and develop to adulthood, whereas mutations in other autophagy genes, including Atg1, are homozygous lethal...
- Yang S, Long L, Li D, Zhang J, Jin S, Wang F, et al. Î²-Guanidinopropionic acid extends the lifespan of Drosophila melanogaster via an AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent increase in autophagy. Aging Cell. 2015;14:1024-33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that Atg8 protein, the homolog of microtubule-associated protein 1A/1B-light chain 3 (LC3) and a biomarker of autophagy in ..
- James A, Cindass R, Mayer D, Terhoeve S, Mumphrey C, DiMario P. Nucleolar stress in Drosophila melanogaster: RNAi-mediated depletion of Nopp140. Nucleus. 2013;4:123-33 pubmed publisher..of Nopp140 in larval polyploid midgut cells induced premature autophagy as marked by the accumulation of mCherry-ATG8a into autophagic vesicles...
- Wang Y, Lee C, Lee L, Tung L, Hsieh Li H, Lee Chen G, et al. Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress contribute to the pathogenesis of spinocerebellar ataxia type 12 (SCA12). J Biol Chem. 2011;286:21742-54 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study demonstrates that oxidative stress induced by mitochondrial dysfunction plays a causal role in SCA12, and reduction of ROS is a potential therapeutic intervention for this neuropathy. ..