Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ash2
Description: absent, small, or homeotic discs 2
Alias: 1124/11, 291.8, 703, ASH2, Ash2, CG6677, Dmel\CG6677, ash-2, l(3)112411, l(3)S112411, l(3)SG65, mad, absent, small, or homeotic discs 2, CG6677-PB, CG6677-PC, CG6677-PE, absent small or homeotic discs 2, absent, small or homeotic discs 2, ash2-PB, ash2-PC, ash2-PE, many abnormal discs
Species: fruit fly
- Chauhan C, Zraly C, Parilla M, Diaz M, Dingwall A. Histone recognition and nuclear receptor co-activator functions of Drosophila cara mitad, a homolog of the N-terminal portion of mammalian MLL2 and MLL3. Development. 2012;139:1997-2008 pubmed publisher..The evolutionary split of MLL2 into two distinct genes in Drosophila provides important insight into distinct epigenetic functions of conserved readers and writers of the histone code. ..
- Adamson A, Shearn A. Molecular genetic analysis of Drosophila ash2, a member of the trithorax group required for imaginal disc pattern formation. Genetics. 1996;144:621-33 pubmedThe ash2 gene is a member of the trithorax group of genes whose products function to maintain active transcription of homeotic selector genes...
- Shearn A, Rice T, Garen A, Gehring W. Imaginal disc abnormalities in lethal mutants of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1971;68:2594-8 pubmed..The late lethals are therefore a major source of mutants for studying the genetic control of disc formation. ..
- Lajeunesse D, Shearn A. Trans-regulation of thoracic homeotic selector genes of the Antennapedia and bithorax complexes by the trithorax group genes: absent, small, and homeotic discs 1 and 2. Mech Dev. 1995;53:123-39 pubmed..According to genetic criteria, the Drosophila melanogaster genes absent, small, or homeotic discs 1 and 2 (ash1 and ash2) are members of the trithorax group...
- Tiebe M, Lutz M, De La Garza A, Buechling T, Boutros M, Teleman A. REPTOR and REPTOR-BP Regulate Organismal Metabolism and Transcription Downstream of TORC1. Dev Cell. 2015;33:272-84 pubmed publisher..In vivo functional analysis using knockout flies reveals that REPTOR and REPTOR-BP play critical roles in maintaining energy homeostasis and promoting animal survival upon nutrient restriction. ..
- Smulders Srinivasan T, Szakmary A, Lin H. A Drosophila chromatin factor interacts with the Piwi-interacting RNA mechanism in niche cells to regulate germline stem cell self-renewal. Genetics. 2010;186:573-83 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a novel epigenetic mechanism involving Corto and Piwi that defines the fate and signaling function of niche cells in maintaining GSCs. ..
- Komori H, Xiao Q, Janssens D, Dou Y, Lee C. Trithorax maintains the functional heterogeneity of neural stem cells through the transcription factor buttonhead. elife. 2014;3: pubmed publisher..Thus, Trx instructs a type II neuroblast functional identity by epigenetically promoting Btd expression, thereby maintaining neuroblast functional heterogeneity. ..
- Piunti A, Shilatifard A. Epigenetic balance of gene expression by Polycomb and COMPASS families. Science. 2016;352:aad9780 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will discuss the latest findings regarding the properties of the PcG and COMPASS families and the insight they provide into the epigenetic control of transcription under physiological and pathological settings. ..
- Fernández M, Chu J, Villella A, Atkinson N, Kay S, Ceriani M. Impaired clock output by altered connectivity in the circadian network. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5650-5 pubmed..Our observations demonstrate that subtle structural changes within the circadian network are responsible for behavioral arrhythmicity. ..
- O Connell S, Wang L, Robert S, Jones C, Saint R, Jones R. Polycomblike PHD fingers mediate conserved interaction with enhancer of zeste protein. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:43065-73 pubmed..We discuss the implications of PCL association with ESC.E(Z) complexes and the possibility that PCL may either be a subunit of a subset of ESC.E(Z) complexes or a subunit of a separate complex that interacts with ESC.E(Z) complexes. ..
- Shearn A. Complementation analysis of late lethal mutants of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1974;77:115-25 pubmed..No significant qualitative differences were detected between any non-complementing pairs or their respective hybrids. ..
- Collins R, Furukawa T, Tanese N, Treisman J. Osa associates with the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex and promotes the activation of some target genes. EMBO J. 1999;18:7029-40 pubmed..We show evidence that some Brahma-containing complexes do not contain Osa and that Osa is not required to localize Brahma to chromatin. These data suggest that Osa modulates the function of the Brahma complex. ..
- Kennison J. Transcriptional activation of Drosophila homeotic genes from distant regulatory elements. Trends Genet. 1993;9:75-9 pubmed..Some of the trans-acting proteins may facilitate interactions between cis-regulatory elements and the promoter by bringing together distant chromosomal elements. ..
- Lopez A, Higuet D, Rosset R, Deutsch J, Peronnet F. corto genetically interacts with Pc-G and trx-G genes and maintains the anterior boundary of Ultrabithorax expression in Drosophila larvae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;266:572-83 pubmed..Our results provide evidence that corto maintains the anterior border of Ubx expression in third-instar larvae. We suggest that this regulation is accomplished through an interaction with the products of the Pc-G and trx-G genes. ..
- Mills A. Throwing the cancer switch: reciprocal roles of polycomb and trithorax proteins. Nat Rev Cancer. 2010;10:669-82 pubmed publisher..Recent work highlights the dynamic interplay between these opposing classes of proteins, providing new avenues for understanding how these epigenetic regulators function in tumorigenesis. ..
- Wang Y, Krishnan H, Ghezzi A, Yin J, Atkinson N. Drug-induced epigenetic changes produce drug tolerance. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e265 pubmed..These findings provide unique evidence that links molecular epigenetic histone modifications and transcriptional induction of an ion channel gene with a single behavioral event...
- Li L, Anderson S, Secombe J, Eisenman R. The Drosophila ubiquitin-specific protease Puffyeye regulates dMyc-mediated growth. Development. 2013;140:4776-87 pubmed publisher..In addition to its effects on dMyc, Puf regulates both Ago and its cell cycle substrate Cyclin E. Therefore, Puf influences cell growth by controlling the stability of key regulatory proteins. ..
- Carbonell A, Mazo A, Serras F, Corominas M. Ash2 acts as an ecdysone receptor coactivator by stabilizing the histone methyltransferase Trr. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:361-72 pubmed publisher..H3 at lysine 4 (H3K4me), which is associated with transcriptional activation, requires several cofactors, including Ash2. We find that ash2 mutants have severe defects in pupariation and metamorphosis due to a lack of activation of ..
- Lloret Llinares M, Pérez Lluch S, Rossell D, Morán T, Ponsa Cobas J, Auer H, et al. dKDM5/LID regulates H3K4me3 dynamics at the transcription-start site (TSS) of actively transcribed developmental genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:9493-505 pubmed publisher..Our results also show that ASH2, an evolutionarily conserved factor that locates at TSS and is required for H3K4me3, binds and positively regulates ..
- Ponting C, Schultz J, Bork P. SPRY domains in ryanodine receptors (Ca(2+)-release channels). Trends Biochem Sci. 1997;22:193-4 pubmed
- Decoville M, Giacomello E, Leng M, Locker D. DSP1, an HMG-like protein, is involved in the regulation of homeotic genes. Genetics. 2001;157:237-44 pubmed..We propose that DSP1 protein is a chromatin remodeling factor, acting as a trx-G or a Pc-G protein depending on the considered function. ..
- Gutierrez L, Zurita M, Kennison J, Vázquez M. The Drosophila trithorax group gene tonalli (tna) interacts genetically with the Brahma remodeling complex and encodes an SP-RING finger protein. Development. 2003;130:343-54 pubmed..We propose that Tna is involved in postranslational modification of transcription complexes. ..
- Gonzalez C, Molina I, Casal J, Ripoll P. Gross genetic dissection and interaction of the chromosomal region 95E;96F of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1989;123:371-7 pubmed..There is another region localized in 97B which interacts with asp: in a background homozygous for asp, three doses of this region enhance the asp phenotype. ..