Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: arr
Alias: Arr, BEST:CK00539, CG5912, CK00539, CT15575, Dm Arr, Dmel\CG5912, Irp6, LRP, LRP/Arr, LRP5/6, LRP6, l(2)k08131, arrow, CG5912-PA, Dm arrow, LDL-related protein 6, LDLR-like, LRP5/6/Arrow, arr-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Tolwinski N, Wehrli M, Rives A, Erdeniz N, Dinardo S, Wieschaus E. Wg/Wnt signal can be transmitted through arrow/LRP5,6 and Axin independently of Zw3/Gsk3beta activity. Dev Cell. 2003;4:407-18 pubmed..evidence, by designing a Wnt receptor with ligand-independent signaling activity, that physical proximity of Arrow (LRP) to the Wnt receptor Frizzled-2 triggers the intracellular signaling cascade...
- Zhang L, Jia J, Wang B, Amanai K, Wharton K, Jiang J. Regulation of wingless signaling by the CKI family in Drosophila limb development. Dev Biol. 2006;299:221-37 pubmed..Finally, we provide evidence that several CKI isoforms including CKIalpha and Gish/CKIgamma can phosphorylate the Wg coreceptor Arrow (Arr), which may account, at least in part, for their positive roles in the Wg pathway.
- Han C, Yan D, Belenkaya T, Lin X. Drosophila glypicans Dally and Dally-like shape the extracellular Wingless morphogen gradient in the wing disc. Development. 2005;132:667-79 pubmed..of glypicans Dally and Dally-like protein (Dlp), the Wg receptors Frizzled (Fz) and Fz2, and the Wg co-receptor Arrow (Arr) in Wg gradient formation in the wing disc...
- Rives A, Rochlin K, Wehrli M, Schwartz S, Dinardo S. Endocytic trafficking of Wingless and its receptors, Arrow and DFrizzled-2, in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2006;293:268-83 pubmed..Here, we characterize the vesicular trafficking of Wg and its receptors, Arrow and DFrizzled-2 (DFz2), and investigate whether trafficking is important to regulate Wg signaling during ..
- Seto E, Bellen H. Internalization is required for proper Wingless signaling in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:95-106 pubmed..This increased signaling correlates with greater colocalized Wg, Arrow, and Dishevelled on endosomes...
- Giraldez A, Cohen S. Wingless and Notch signaling provide cell survival cues and control cell proliferation during wing development. Development. 2003;130:6533-43 pubmed..However, only part of this effect was attributable to Notch-dependent induction of Wg, suggesting that other Notch-inducible signaling molecules contribute to the control of cell proliferation in the wing. ..
- Culi J, Mann R. Boca, an endoplasmic reticulum protein required for wingless signaling and trafficking of LDL receptor family members in Drosophila. Cell. 2003;112:343-54 pubmed..Two LDLRs in flies, Arrow, which is required for Wingless signal transduction, and Yolkless, which is required for yolk protein uptake ..
- Miech C, Pauer H, He X, Schwarz T. Presynaptic local signaling by a canonical wingless pathway regulates development of the Drosophila neuromuscular junction. J Neurosci. 2008;28:10875-84 pubmed publisher..This pathway includes the canonical elements arrow/LRP (low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein), dishevelled, and the glycogen synthase kinase shaggy (GSK3)..
- Tan Y, Yu D, Busto G, WILSON C, Davis R. Wnt signaling is required for long-term memory formation. Cell Rep. 2013;4:1082-9 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of wingless, a Wnt ligand, and arrow, a Wnt coreceptor, also impaired LTM...
- Fearon E, Cadigan K. Cell biology. Wnt signaling glows with RNAi. Science. 2005;308:801-3 pubmed
- Yoshikawa S, Thomas J. Secreted cell signaling molecules in axon guidance. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2004;14:45-50 pubmed..These signaling molecules seem to act directly on the growth cone and thus are likely to activate non-canonical signaling pathways that are coupled to the cytoskeleton. ..
- Solis G, Lüchtenborg A, Katanaev V. Wnt secretion and gradient formation. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:5130-45 pubmed publisher..We further discuss these processes in the context of human breast cancer. A better understanding of these phenomena may be relevant for identification of novel drug targets and therapeutic strategies. ..
- Davidson G, Shen J, Huang Y, Su Y, Karaulanov E, Bartscherer K, et al. Cell cycle control of wnt receptor activation. Dev Cell. 2009;17:788-99 pubmed publisher..Phosphorylation of PPPSP motifs in the LRP6 cytoplasmic domain is crucial for signal transduction...
- Kalderon D. Similarities between the Hedgehog and Wnt signaling pathways. Trends Cell Biol. 2002;12:523-31 pubmed..This review compares the two pathways to explore whether our more extensive knowledge of Wnt pathways can be of predictive value for investigating Hedgehog signaling. ..
- Giorgianni M, Mann R. Establishment of medial fates along the proximodistal axis of the Drosophila leg through direct activation of dachshund by Distalless. Dev Cell. 2011;20:455-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, medial leg fates are established via a regulatory cascade in which Wg+Dpp activate Dll and then Dll directly activates dac, with Wg+Dpp as less critical, permissive inputs...
- Megraw T, Li K, Kao L, Kaufman T. The centrosomin protein is required for centrosome assembly and function during cleavage in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:2829-39 pubmed..These results suggest that Centrosomin is required for the assembly and function of centrosomes during the syncytial cleavage divisions. ..
- Vaizel Ohayon D, Schejter E. Mutations in centrosomin reveal requirements for centrosomal function during early Drosophila embryogenesis. Curr Biol. 1999;9:889-98 pubmed..Centrosomin is an essential core component of early embryonic centrosomes in Drosophila. Microtubule-dependent events of early embryogenesis display differential requirements for centrosomal function. ..
- Price M. CKI, there's more than one: casein kinase I family members in Wnt and Hedgehog signaling. Genes Dev. 2006;20:399-410 pubmed..Here I review these roles, including recent results on casein kinase I (CKI) phosphorylation and activation of LRP6, and CKI phosphorylation of Ci and mediation of Ci-Slimb/beta-TrCP binding.
- Baig Lewis S, Peterson Nedry W, Wehrli M. Wingless/Wnt signal transduction requires distinct initiation and amplification steps that both depend on Arrow/LRP. Dev Biol. 2007;306:94-111 pubmed..canonical Wg signaling in Drosophila involves distinct initiation and amplification steps, both of which require Arrow/LRP...
- Furlong E. A functional genomics approach to identify new regulators of Wnt signaling. Dev Cell. 2005;8:624-6 pubmed..Supporting in vivo studies are in progress. The fact that such an impressive number of potential modulators had eluded detection in genetic screens underscores the potential of applying new, high-throughput approaches to old problems. ..
- Lim H, Tomlinson A. Organization of the peripheral fly eye: the roles of Snail family transcription factors in peripheral retinal apoptosis. Development. 2006;133:3529-37 pubmed..Furthermore, we describe a later requirement for Snail family proteins in the 2 degrees and 3 degrees pigment cells throughout the main body of the eye. ..
- Bienz M. The subcellular destinations of APC proteins. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2002;3:328-38 pubmed..These destinations have prompted the discovery of new functions for the APC proteins, and this multitasking of APC might explain why its loss often leads to cancer. ..
- Zirin J, Mann R. Nubbin and Teashirt mark barriers to clonal growth along the proximal-distal axis of the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2007;304:745-58 pubmed..Thus, like the vein/intervein divisions of the wing and mammalian rhombomeres, the Nub and Tsh domains share some of the attributes of classical compartments, but lack their stringent and immobile boundaries. ..
- Jones W, Bejsovec A. Wingless signaling: an axin to grind. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R479-81 pubmed..New findings in Drosophila reveal a novel mechanism for down-regulating the activity of the Wingless/Wnt pathway. ..
- Yamazaki H, Yanagawa S. Axin and the Axin/Arrow-binding protein DCAP mediate glucose-glycogen metabolism. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:229-35 pubmed..originally found as a candidate gene of insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM), but its Drosophila homolog, Arrow, works as a co-receptor of the canonical Wnt signal...
- Culi J, Springer T, Mann R. Boca-dependent maturation of beta-propeller/EGF modules in low-density lipoprotein receptor proteins. EMBO J. 2004;23:1372-80 pubmed..We also show that Boca-dependent beta-propeller/EGF modules are found not only throughout the LDLR family but also in the precursor to the mammalian EGF ligand. ..
- Schweizer L, Varmus H. Wnt/Wingless signaling through beta-catenin requires the function of both LRP/Arrow and frizzled classes of receptors. BMC Cell Biol. 2003;4:4 pubmed..seven-transmembrane Frizzleds (Fzs) and the single-transmembrane LDL-receptor-related proteins 5 or 6 (LRP5/6) or Arrow. The aminotermini of LRP and Fz were reported to associate only in the presence of Wnt, implying that Wnt ligands ..
- Zhang J, Yin J, Wesley C. From Drosophila development to adult: clues to Notch function in long-term memory. Front Cell Neurosci. 2013;7:222 pubmed publisher..Here we present a perspective on how the various known features of Notch function relate to LTM formation and how they might interface with elements of Wingless/Wnt signaling in this process. ..
- Moon R, Bowerman B, Boutros M, Perrimon N. The promise and perils of Wnt signaling through beta-catenin. Science. 2002;296:1644-6 pubmed..The STKE Connections Maps for these pathways provide an important tool in accessing this large body of complex information. ..
- Shulman J, Perrimon N, Axelrod J. Frizzled signaling and the developmental control of cell polarity. Trends Genet. 1998;14:452-8 pubmed..Recently described examples from the nematode and frog suggest that the developmental control of cell polarity by FZ receptors might represent a functionally conserved signaling mechanism. ..
- Estella C, Mckay D, Mann R. Molecular integration of wingless, decapentaplegic, and autoregulatory inputs into Distalless during Drosophila leg development. Dev Cell. 2008;14:86-96 pubmed publisher..The "trigger-maintenance" model describes a mechanism by which secreted morphogens act combinatorially to induce the stable expression of target genes. ..
- Povelones M, Nusse R. The role of the cysteine-rich domain of Frizzled in Wingless-Armadillo signaling. EMBO J. 2005;24:3493-503 pubmed..We propose that Fz activates signaling in two steps: Fz uses its CRD to capture Wg, and once bound Wg interacts with the membrane portion of the receptor to initiate signaling. ..
- Koizumi K, Higashida H, Yoo S, Islam M, Ivanov A, Guo V, et al. RNA interference screen to identify genes required for Drosophila embryonic nervous system development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5626-31 pubmed..The total number of dsRNAs that we have tested for an RNAi-induced phenotype affecting the embryonic nervous system, including our previous study, is 7,312, which corresponds to approximately 50% of the genes in the Drosophila genome. ..
- Cong F, Schweizer L, Varmus H. Wnt signals across the plasma membrane to activate the beta-catenin pathway by forming oligomers containing its receptors, Frizzled and LRP. Development. 2004;131:5103-15 pubmed..in the Frizzled family and a single transmembrane protein in the LRP family (LDL-receptor-related protein 5/6 or Arrow) are essential for efficiently transducing a signal from Wnt, an extracellular ligand, to an intracellular pathway ..
- Kölzer S, Fuss B, Hoch M, Klein T. Defective proventriculus is required for pattern formation along the proximodistal axis, cell proliferation and formation of veins in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2003;130:4135-47 pubmed..The study of the regulation of dve expression provides information about the strategies employed to subdivide and pattern the PD axis, and reveals the importance of vg during this process. ..
- Khaliullina H, Panàkovà D, Eugster C, Riedel F, Carvalho M, Eaton S. Patched regulates Smoothened trafficking using lipoprotein-derived lipids. Development. 2009;136:4111-21 pubmed publisher..We propose that Ptc normally regulates Smo degradation by changing the lipid composition of endosomes through which Smo passes, and that the presence of Hh on lipoproteins inhibits utilization of their lipids by Ptc. ..
- Wehrli M, Tomlinson A. Independent regulation of anterior/posterior and equatorial/polar polarity in the Drosophila eye; evidence for the involvement of Wnt signaling in the equatorial/polar axis. Development. 1998;125:1421-32 pubmed..Further, we show that the polarizing information acting in this equatorial/polar axis (Eq/Pl) is established in at least two steps - the activity of one signaling molecule functions to establish the graded activity of a second signal. ..
- Lawrence P, Casal J. The mechanisms of planar cell polarity, growth and the Hippo pathway: some known unknowns. Dev Biol. 2013;377:1-8 pubmed publisher..We offer some new ways of making sense of published results, particularly those relating to the Frizzled/Starry night and Dachsous/Fat systems of PCP. ..
- Chiang A, Priya R, Ramaswami M, Vijayraghavan K, Rodrigues V. Neuronal activity and Wnt signaling act through Gsk3-beta to regulate axonal integrity in mature Drosophila olfactory sensory neurons. Development. 2009;136:1273-82 pubmed publisher..Together, we provide evidence that Gsk-3beta is a key sensor involved in neural circuit integrity, maintaining axon stability through neural activity and the Wnt pathway. ..
- Zecca M, Struhl G. Control of Drosophila wing growth by the vestigial quadrant enhancer. Development. 2007;134:3011-20 pubmed..We posit that Wg controls the expansion of the wing primordium following D-V segregation by fueling this autoregulatory mechanism. ..
- Nusse R. Developmental biology. Making head or tail of Dickkopf. Nature. 2001;411:255-6 pubmed
- D Costa A, Moses K. Looking up: regional patterning in the fly eye. Dev Cell. 2003;5:665-6 pubmed..Two new papers show that this domain is controlled by graded Wingless signals acting through the homeodomain transcription factor Homothorax. ..
- Li K, Kaufman T. The homeotic target gene centrosomin encodes an essential centrosomal component. Cell. 1996;85:585-96 pubmed..We propose that cnn provides an example of homeotic genes directly regulating the accumulation of essential cellular proteins to carry out segment-specific morphogenetic functions. ..
- Serysheva E, Berhane H, Grumolato L, Demir K, Balmer S, Bodak M, et al. Wnk kinases are positive regulators of canonical Wnt/?-catenin signalling. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:718-25 pubmed publisher..Importantly, knockdown of human WNK1 and WNK2 also results in decreased Wnt signalling in mammalian cell culture, suggesting that Wnk kinases have a conserved function in ensuring peak levels of canonical Wnt signalling. ..
- Howlett I, Rusan Z, Parker L, Tanouye M. Drosophila as a model for intractable epilepsy: gilgamesh suppresses seizures in para(bss1) heterozygote flies. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1399-407 pubmed publisher..The gish gene normally encodes the Drosophila ortholog of casein kinase CK1g3, a member of the CK1 family of serine-threonine kinases. We suggest that CK1g3 is an unexpected but promising new target for seizure therapeutics. ..
- Arias A. New alleles of Notch draw a blueprint for multifunctionality. Trends Genet. 2002;18:168-70 pubmed..This link might be a central element in many processes of cell-fate assignation during development. ..
- Gersten M, Zhou D, Azad P, Haddad G, Subramaniam S. Wnt pathway activation increases hypoxia tolerance during development. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e103292 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that a previously unsuspected major developmental pathway, Wnt, plays a significant role in hypoxia tolerance. ..
- Chen D, Ahlford A, Schnorrer F, Kalchhauser I, Fellner M, Viragh E, et al. High-resolution, high-throughput SNP mapping in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Methods. 2008;5:323-9 pubmed publisher..3 kb, and demonstrated the utility of these tools by rapidly mapping 14 mutations that disrupt embryonic muscle patterning. These resources enable high-resolution high-throughput genetic mapping in Drosophila. ..
- Pepperl J, Reim G, Lüthi U, Kaech A, Hausmann G, Basler K. Sphingolipid depletion impairs endocytic traffic and inhibits Wingless signaling. Mech Dev. 2013;130:493-505 pubmed publisher..Our results underscore this and support the view that sphingolipid levels are crucial in orchestrating epithelial endocytic trafficking in vivo. They further demonstrate that ceramide/sphingolipid levels can affect Wnt signaling. ..
- Mannava A, Tolwinski N. Membrane bound GSK-3 activates Wnt signaling through disheveled and arrow. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0121879 pubmed publisher..This activation requires the presence of the co-receptor Arrow-LRP5/6 and the pathway activating protein Disheveled...
- Rodal A, Blunk A, Akbergenova Y, Jorquera R, Buhl L, Littleton J. A presynaptic endosomal trafficking pathway controls synaptic growth signaling. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:201-17 pubmed publisher..Our results define a presynaptic trafficking pathway mediated by SNX16, NWK, and the ESCRT complex that functions to control synaptic growth signaling at the interface between endosomal compartments. ..
- Huang H, Klein P. The Frizzled family: receptors for multiple signal transduction pathways. Genome Biol. 2004;5:234 pubmed..It is not yet clear how Frizzleds couple to downstream effectors, and this is a focus of intense study. ..
- DasGupta R, Nybakken K, Booker M, Mathey Prevot B, Gonsalves F, Changkakoty B, et al. A case study of the reproducibility of transcriptional reporter cell-based RNAi screens in Drosophila. Genome Biol. 2007;8:R203 pubmed..Furthermore, we investigate other factors that may influence the outcome of such screens, including cell-type specificity, robustness of reporters, and assay normalization, which determine the efficacy of RNAi-knockdown of target genes. ..
- Vincent J, Kolahgar G, Gagliardi M, Piddini E. Steep differences in wingless signaling trigger Myc-independent competitive cell interactions. Dev Cell. 2011;21:366-74 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Notum could amplify local differences in Wingless signaling, thus serving as an early trigger of Wg signaling-dependent competition. ..
- Bhattacharya A, Baker N. A network of broadly expressed HLH genes regulates tissue-specific cell fates. Cell. 2011;147:881-92 pubmed publisher..Similar regulation is found in multiple Drosophila tissues and in mammalian cells and therefore is likely to be a conserved general feature of developmental regulation by HLH proteins...
- Hall E, Verheyen E. Ras-activated Dsor1 promotes Wnt signaling in Drosophila development. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:4499-511 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that there is a new crosstalk pathway between insulin and Wg signaling that is mediated by Dsor1. ..
- Herranz H, Perez L, Martín F, Milan M. A Wingless and Notch double-repression mechanism regulates G1-S transition in the Drosophila wing. EMBO J. 2008;27:1633-45 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Notch acts in this cellular context as a repressor of cell-cycle progression and Wg has a permissive role in alleviating Notch-mediated repression of G1-S progression in wing cells. ..
- Sugie A, Hakeda Suzuki S, Suzuki E, Silies M, Shimozono M, MÃ¶hl C, et al. Molecular Remodeling of the Presynaptic Active Zone of Drosophila Photoreceptors via Activity-Dependent Feedback. Neuron. 2015;86:711-25 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that active zone composition can be regulated in vivo and identify the underlying molecular machinery. ..
- Gagliardi M, Hernandez A, McGough I, Vincent J. Inhibitors of endocytosis prevent Wnt/Wingless signalling by reducing the level of basal Î²-catenin/Armadillo. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:4918-26 pubmed publisher..However, we find no evidence that, in Drosophila cells or wing imaginal discs, LRP6/Arrow traffics to MVBs or that MVBs are required for Wnt/Wingless signalling...
- Yang E, Tacchelly Benites O, Wang Z, Randall M, Tian A, Benchabane H, et al. Wnt pathway activation by ADP-ribosylation. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11430 pubmed publisher..ADP-ribosylation of Axin enhances its interaction with the Wnt co-receptor LRP6, an essential step in signalosome assembly...
- Campbell G. Distalization of the Drosophila leg by graded EGF-receptor activity. Nature. 2002;418:781-5 pubmed..This similarity between proximodistal patterning in vertebrates and flies supports previous suggestions of an evolutionary relationship between appendages/body-wall outgrowths in animals. ..
- Schilling S, Steiner S, Zimmerli D, Basler K. A regulatory receptor network directs the range and output of the Wingless signal. Development. 2014;141:2483-93 pubmed publisher..The two main receptor components for Wg - Arrow (Arr) and Frizzled 2 (Fz2) - are transcriptionally downregulated by Wg signaling, thus forming gradients that ..
- Vincent J, Dubois L. Morphogen transport along epithelia, an integrated trafficking problem. Dev Cell. 2002;3:615-23 pubmed..The question of how this is achieved has aroused the interest of many cell biologically minded developmental biologists. ..
- Kuroda J, Nakamura M, Yoshida M, Yamamoto H, Maeda T, Taniguchi K, et al. Canonical Wnt signaling in the visceral muscle is required for left-right asymmetric development of the Drosophila midgut. Mech Dev. 2012;128:625-39 pubmed publisher..b>arrow (arr), an ortholog of the mammalian gene encoding low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 5/6, which is a ..
- Buechling T, Chaudhary V, Spirohn K, Weiss M, Boutros M. p24 proteins are required for secretion of Wnt ligands. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:1265-72 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Wnt secretion relies on a specialized anterograde secretion route with p24 proteins functioning as conserved cargo receptors. ..
- Mukai A, Yamamoto Hino M, Awano W, Watanabe W, Komada M, Goto S. Balanced ubiquitylation and deubiquitylation of Frizzled regulate cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt. EMBO J. 2010;29:2114-25 pubmed publisher..These results unveil a novel mechanism that regulates the cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt by controlling the cell surface level of Frizzled. ..
- Metcalfe C, Mendoza Topaz C, Mieszczanek J, Bienz M. Stability elements in the LRP6 cytoplasmic tail confer efficient signalling upon DIX-dependent polymerization. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:1588-99 pubmed publisher..this signalling event, and to define its functional elements, we fused the Dishevelled DIX domain to the LRP6 ctail, which forms cytoplasmic signalosomes with potent signalling activity mediated by its PPP(S/T)Px(S/T) motifs...
- Renfranz P, Beckerle M. Doing (F/L)PPPPs: EVH1 domains and their proline-rich partners in cell polarity and migration. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2002;14:88-103 pubmed
- Nusse R. Wnts and Hedgehogs: lipid-modified proteins and similarities in signaling mechanisms at the cell surface. Development. 2003;130:5297-305 pubmed..Several other aspects of Wnt and Hedgehog transport and signaling are discussed, as well as the possible origin of these pathways. ..
- Ni L, Guo P, Reddig K, Mitra M, Li H. Mutation of a TADR protein leads to rhodopsin and Gq-dependent retinal degeneration in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2008;28:13478-87 pubmed publisher..We propose that TADR-like proteins may also protect photoreceptors from degeneration in mammals including humans. ..