Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: armi
Alias: APC16, ARMI, Armi, CG11513, Dmel\CG11513, armitage, CG11513-PB, CG11513-PC, CG11513-PD, armi-PB, armi-PC, armi-PD
Species: fruit fly
- Chambeyron S, Popkova A, Payen Groschêne G, Brun C, Laouini D, Pelisson A, et al. piRNA-mediated nuclear accumulation of retrotransposon transcripts in the Drosophila female germline. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14964-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that piRNAs are involved in a posttranscriptional gene-silencing mechanism resulting in RNA nuclear accumulation. ..
- Robine N, Lau N, Balla S, Jin Z, Okamura K, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, et al. A broadly conserved pathway generates 3'UTR-directed primary piRNAs. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2066-76 pubmed publisher..These findings strongly increase the breadth of Argonaute-mediated small RNA systems in metazoans. ..
- Klenov M, Lavrov S, Stolyarenko A, Ryazansky S, Aravin A, Tuschl T, et al. Repeat-associated siRNAs cause chromatin silencing of retrotransposons in the Drosophila melanogaster germline. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:5430-8 pubmed..Our results provide evidence that germinal Piwi-associated short RNAs induce chromatin modifications of their targets. ..
- Klattenhoff C, Bratu D, McGinnis Schultz N, Koppetsch B, Cook H, Theurkauf W. Drosophila rasiRNA pathway mutations disrupt embryonic axis specification through activation of an ATR/Chk2 DNA damage response. Dev Cell. 2007;12:45-55 pubmed..Mutations in the Drosophila rasiRNA pathway genes armitage and aubergine disrupt embryonic axis specification, triggering defects in microtubule polarization as well as ..
- Kavi H, Fernandez H, Xie W, Birchler J. RNA silencing in Drosophila. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5940-9 pubmed..RNA silencing processes in Drosophila are described. ..
- Perrini B, Piacentini L, Fanti L, Altieri F, Chichiarelli S, Berloco M, et al. HP1 controls telomere capping, telomere elongation, and telomere silencing by two different mechanisms in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2004;15:467-76 pubmed..Here, we tested this model, and we found that the capping function of HP1 is due to its direct binding to telomeric DNA, while the silencing of telomeric sequences and telomere elongation is due to its interaction with H3-MeK9. ..
- Cook H, Koppetsch B, Wu J, Theurkauf W. The Drosophila SDE3 homolog armitage is required for oskar mRNA silencing and embryonic axis specification. Cell. 2004;116:817-29 pubmed..The posterior determinant oskar mRNA is translationally silent until mid-oogenesis. We show that mutations in armitage and three components of the RNAi pathway disrupt oskar mRNA translational silencing, polarization of the ..
- Saito K, Ishizu H, Komai M, Kotani H, Kawamura Y, Nishida K, et al. Roles for the Yb body components Armitage and Yb in primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2493-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe roles for the cytoplasmic Yb body components Armitage and Yb in somatic primary piRNA biogenesis...
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..
- Qi H, Watanabe T, Ku H, Liu N, Zhong M, Lin H. The Yb body, a major site for Piwi-associated RNA biogenesis and a gateway for Piwi expression and transport to the nucleus in somatic cells. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:3789-97 pubmed publisher..However, the molecular basis of the regulation remains elusive. Here, we report that Yb recruits Armitage (Armi), a putative RNA helicase involved in the piRNA pathway, to the Yb body, a cytoplasmic sphere to which Yb ..
- Olivieri D, Senti K, Subramanian S, Sachidanandam R, Brennecke J. The cochaperone shutdown defines a group of biogenesis factors essential for all piRNA populations in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2012;47:954-69 pubmed publisher..Together with data on how PIWI proteins are wired into primary and secondary processing, we propose a unified model for piRNA biogenesis. ..
- Haase A, Fenoglio S, Muerdter F, Guzzardo P, Czech B, Pappin D, et al. Probing the initiation and effector phases of the somatic piRNA pathway in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2499-504 pubmed publisher..Alterations in Zucchini or Armitage reduced both Piwi protein and piRNAs, indicating functions in the formation of a stable Piwi RISC (RNA-induced ..
- Li C, Vagin V, Lee S, Xu J, Ma S, Xi H, et al. Collapse of germline piRNAs in the absence of Argonaute3 reveals somatic piRNAs in flies. Cell. 2009;137:509-21 pubmed publisher..Transposons targeted by this second pathway often reside in the flamenco locus, which is expressed in somatic ovarian follicle cells, suggesting a role for piRNAs beyond the germline. ..
- Zamparini A, Davis M, Malone C, Vieira E, Zavadil J, Sachidanandam R, et al. Vreteno, a gonad-specific protein, is essential for germline development and primary piRNA biogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:4039-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that Vret plays an essential role in transposon regulation at an early stage of primary piRNA processing. ..
- Klenov M, Sokolova O, Yakushev E, Stolyarenko A, Mikhaleva E, Lavrov S, et al. Separation of stem cell maintenance and transposon silencing functions of Piwi protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:18760-5 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the Piwi function in GSC self-renewal is independent of transposon repression and is normally realized in the cytoplasm of GSC niche cells. ..
- Sienski G, Donertas D, Brennecke J. Transcriptional silencing of transposons by Piwi and maelstrom and its impact on chromatin state and gene expression. Cell. 2012;151:964-80 pubmed publisher..Our work illustrates the widespread influence of transposons and the piRNA pathway on chromatin patterns and gene expression...
- Tomari Y, Du T, Haley B, Schwarz D, Bennett R, Cook H, et al. RISC assembly defects in the Drosophila RNAi mutant armitage. Cell. 2004;116:831-41 pubmedThe putative RNA helicase, Armitage (Armi), is required to repress oskar translation in Drosophila oocytes; armi mutant females are sterile and armi mutations disrupt anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning...
- Rouget C, Papin C, Boureux A, Meunier A, Franco B, Robine N, et al. Maternal mRNA deadenylation and decay by the piRNA pathway in the early Drosophila embryo. Nature. 2010;467:1128-32 pubmed publisher..Because the piRNAs involved in this regulation are produced from transposable elements, this identifies a direct developmental function for transposable elements in the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Forstemann K, Tomari Y, Du T, Vagin V, Denli A, Bratu D, et al. Normal microRNA maturation and germ-line stem cell maintenance requires Loquacious, a double-stranded RNA-binding domain protein. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e236 pubmed..Thus, every known Drosophila RNase-III endonuclease is paired with a dsRBD protein that facilitates its function in small RNA biogenesis. ..
- Atikukke G, Albosta P, Zhang H, Finley R. A role for Drosophila Cyclin J in oogenesis revealed by genetic interactions with the piRNA pathway. Mech Dev. 2014;133:64-76 pubmed publisher..The CycJ gene (CycJ) lies immediately downstream of armitage (armi), a gene involved in the Piwi-associated RNA (piRNA) pathways that are required for silencing transposons ..
- Goriaux C, Théron E, Brasset E, Vaury C. History of the discovery of a master locus producing piRNAs: the flamenco/COM locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Front Genet. 2014;5:257 pubmed publisher..Here we review the first discovery of this locus and retrace decades of studies that led to our current understanding of the relationship between genomes and their TE targets. ..
- White Grindley E, Si K. RISC-y Memories. Cell. 2006;124:23-6 pubmed..2006) observe persistent local protein synthesis in the antennal lobe synapses of the fruit fly following olfactory-avoidance learning. This protein synthesis is regulated by the RNA-induced silencing complex (RISC). ..
- Gandhi S, Bag I, Sengupta S, Pal Bhadra M, Bhadra U. Drosophila oncogene Gas41 is an RNA interference modulator that intersects heterochromatin and the small interfering RNA pathway. FEBS J. 2015;282:153-73 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it represents an intriguing and apparently paradoxical new finding in RNA technology with respect to the process of heterochromatin gene silencing. ..
- Rogers A, Situ K, Perkins E, Toth K. Zucchini-dependent piRNA processing is triggered by recruitment to the cytoplasmic processing machinery. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1858-1869 pubmed publisher..This processing requires Zuc and the helicase Armitage (Armi)...
- Hayashi R, Wainwright S, Liddell S, Pinchin S, Horswell S, Ish Horowicz D. A genetic screen based on in vivo RNA imaging reveals centrosome-independent mechanisms for localizing gurken transcripts in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:749-60 pubmed publisher..including alleles of elg1, scaf6, quemao, nudE, Tsc2/gigas, rasp, and Chd5/Wrb, and several null alleles of the armitage Piwi-pathway gene...
- Castillo D, Mell J, Box K, Blumenstiel J. Molecular evolution under increasing transposable element burden in Drosophila: a speed limit on the evolutionary arms race. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:258 pubmed publisher..Third, we test whether increasing TE abundance is correlated with greater codon bias in genes of the piRNA machinery. This is predicted if increasing TE abundance selects for increased efficiency in the machinery of genome defense...
- Sontheimer E, Carthew R. Silence from within: endogenous siRNAs and miRNAs. Cell. 2005;122:9-12 pubmed..Bioinformatic analyses indicate that target genes in vertebrate species may number in the thousands. ..
- Kibanov M, Gvozdev V, Olenina L. Germ granules in spermatogenesis of Drosophila: Evidences of contribution to the piRNA silencing. Commun Integr Biol. 2012;5:130-3 pubmed publisher..In this mini-review, we analyze the recent published data about structure and functions of Drosophila male germ granules, and especially their involvement in the piRNA silencing pathway. ..
- Yu Y, Gu J, Jin Y, Luo Y, Preall J, Ma J, et al. Panoramix enforces piRNA-dependent cotranscriptional silencing. Science. 2015;350:339-42 pubmed publisher..We have named CG9754 "Panoramix," and we propose that this protein could act as an adaptor, scaffolding interactions between the piRNA pathway and the general silencing machinery that it recruits to enforce transcriptional repression. ..
- O Neill R, Clark D. The Drosophila melanogaster septin gene Sep2 has a redundant function with the retrogene Sep5 in imaginal cell proliferation but is essential for oogenesis. Genome. 2013;56:753-8 pubmed publisher..Sep2 Sep5 double mutants have an early pupal lethal phenotype and lack imaginal discs, suggesting that these genes have redundant functions during imaginal cell proliferation. ..
- Fablet M, Akkouche A, Braman V, Vieira C. Variable expression levels detected in the Drosophila effectors of piRNA biogenesis. Gene. 2014;537:149-53 pubmed publisher..We showed that these genes exhibited wide variation in transcript levels, and we discuss some evolutionary considerations regarding the observed variability in TE copy numbers...
- Simkin A, Wong A, Poh Y, Theurkauf W, Jensen J. Recurrent and recent selective sweeps in the piRNA pathway. Evolution. 2013;67:1081-90 pubmed publisher..We speculate that selection on these proteins reflects crucial roles in silencing unfamiliar elements during vertical and horizontal transmission of TEs into naïve populations and species, respectively. ..
- Dennis C, Zanni V, Brasset E, Eymery A, Zhang L, Mteirek R, et al. "Dot COM", a nuclear transit center for the primary piRNA pathway in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72752 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into the initial steps of the piRNA pathway, and open up a new research area important for a complete understanding of this conserved pathway. ..
- Althoff F, Viktorinova I, Kastl J, Lehner C. Drosophila Cyclin J is a mitotically stable Cdk1 partner without essential functions. Dev Biol. 2009;333:263-72 pubmed publisher..Cyclin J with EGFP fused at either N- or C-terminus binds to Cdk1 and not to Cdk2. However, in contrast to the other known Cdk1 partners, the A- and B-type cyclins, Cyclin J is not degraded during mitosis. ..
- Ashraf S, McLoon A, Sclarsic S, Kunes S. Synaptic protein synthesis associated with memory is regulated by the RISC pathway in Drosophila. Cell. 2006;124:191-205 pubmed..and synaptic protein synthesis are regulated by components of the RISC pathway, including the SDE3 helicase Armitage, which is specifically required for long-lasting memory...
- Hodgetts R, O Keefe S, Anderson K. An intact RNA interference pathway is required for expression of the mutant wing phenotype of vg(21-3), a P-element-induced allele of the vestigial gene in Drosophila. Genome. 2012;55:312-26 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the vg and P-initiated transcripts that arise at the vg locus in the vg(21-3) mutant trigger an RNA interference response that results in the mutual degradation of both transcripts. ..
- Zhang Z, Wang J, Schultz N, Zhang F, Parhad S, Tu S, et al. The HP1 homolog rhino anchors a nuclear complex that suppresses piRNA precursor splicing. Cell. 2014;157:1353-63 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that Rhino anchors a nuclear complex that suppresses cluster transcript splicing and speculate that stalled splicing differentiates piRNA precursors from mRNAs...
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..
- Pandey R, Homolka D, Chen K, Sachidanandam R, Fauvarque M, Pillai R. Recruitment of Armitage and Yb to a transcript triggers its phased processing into primary piRNAs in Drosophila ovaries. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006956 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate that artificial tethering of the piRNA biogenesis factor, Armi, to a transcript is sufficient to direct it into primary processing in Drosophila ovaries and in an ovarian cell ..
- Vilmos P, Jankovics F, Szathmári M, Lukacsovich T, Henn L, Erdelyi M. Live imaging reveals that the Drosophila actin-binding ERM protein, moesin, co-localizes with the mitotic spindle. Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:609-19 pubmed publisher..The biological relevance of this phenomenon is indicated by the mitotic phenotypes detected in S2 cells treated with moesin RNAi, and awaits future exploration. ..
- Donertas D, Sienski G, Brennecke J. Drosophila Gtsf1 is an essential component of the Piwi-mediated transcriptional silencing complex. Genes Dev. 2013;27:1693-705 pubmed publisher..We propose that only a small fraction of nuclear Piwi is actively engaged in target silencing and that Gtsf1 is an essential component of the underlying Piwi-centered silencing complex. ..
- Pek J, Kai T. Non-coding RNAs enter mitosis: functions, conservation and implications. Cell Div. 2011;6:6 pubmed publisher..We also highlight relevant studies implicating mitotic roles for RNAs and/or nuage in other model systems and their implications for cancer development. ..
- Bozzetti M, Fanti L, Di Tommaso S, Piacentini L, Berloco M, Tritto P, et al. The "Special" crystal-Stellate System in Drosophila melanogaster Reveals Mechanisms Underlying piRNA Pathway-Mediated Canalization. Genet Res Int. 2012;2012:324293 pubmed publisher..In particular, we illustrate the finding that HSP90 participates in the molecular pathways of piRNA production. This observation has relevance for the mechanisms underlying the evolutionary canalization process. ..
- Huang H, Li Y, Szulwach K, Zhang G, Jin P, Chen D. AGO3 Slicer activity regulates mitochondria-nuage localization of Armitage and piRNA amplification. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:217-30 pubmed publisher..We also find that expression of an AGO3 Slicer mutant causes ectopic accumulation of Armitage, a key component in the primary piRNA pathway, in the Drosophila melanogaster germline granules known as nuage...
- Hayashi R, Handler D, Ish Horowicz D, Brennecke J. The exon junction complex is required for definition and excision of neighboring introns in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1772-85 pubmed publisher..Based on a transcriptome-wide analysis, we propose that the dependency of splicing on the EJC is exploited as a means to control the temporal order of splicing events. ..
- Yassin A, Lienau E, Narechania A, DeSalle R. Catching the phylogenic history through the ontogenic hourglass: a phylogenomic analysis of Drosophila body segmentation genes. Evol Dev. 2010;12:288-95 pubmed publisher..We suggest that simultaneous character-based analyses give better macroevolutionary support to the hourglass model of the developmental constraints on genome evolution than pairwise phenetic comparisons. ..
- Vagin V, Yu Y, Jankowska A, Luo Y, Wasik K, Malone C, et al. Minotaur is critical for primary piRNA biogenesis. RNA. 2013;19:1064-77 pubmed publisher..We have named this new biogenesis factor Minotaur. ..
- Chekulaeva M, Ephrussi A. Drosophila development: RNA interference ab ovo. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R428-30 pubmedA novel protein required for RNA interference in Drosophila, Armitage, was identified in a screen for genes involved in embryonic axis formation...
- Kelleher E, Edelman N, Barbash D. Drosophila interspecific hybrids phenocopy piRNA-pathway mutants. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001428 pubmed publisher..We suggest that TE derepression in interspecific hybrids largely reflects adaptive divergence of piRNA pathway genes rather than species-specific differences in TE-derived piRNAs. ..