Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: arm
Alias: ARM, Arm, CG11579, Dm Arm, Dmel\CG11579, EG:86E4.6, beta-Cat, beta-cat, beta-cat-arm, beta-catenin, beta-catenin/Arm, betacat, bgr;-Cat, l(1)2Bv, l(1)G0192, l(1)G0234, l(1)G0410, l(1)arm, t12687 ALR Dm, armadillo, Armadillo(Arm)/beta-catenin, Armadillo/beta-catenin, Armadillo/bgr;-catenin, Beta-catenin/Arm, CG11579-PA, CG11579-PB, CG11579-PC, CG11579-PD, CG11579-PE, CG11579-PF, alpha-Catenin, arm-PA, arm-PB, arm-PC, arm-PD, arm-PE, arm-PF, b-catenin, beta-Catenin, beta-catenin/Armadillo, betacatenin, bgr;-catenin, catenin
Species: fruit fly
Publications102 found, 100 shown here
- Tolwinski N. Membrane bound axin is sufficient for Wingless signaling in Drosophila embryos. Genetics. 2009;181:1169-73 pubmed publisher..I find that nuclear localization of APC2 appears to be required, but Axin can block signaling when tethered to the membrane. These results support the model where Axin regulates Armadillo localization and activity in the cytoplasm.
- Sawyer J, Choi W, Jung K, He L, Harris N, Peifer M. A contractile actomyosin network linked to adherens junctions by Canoe/afadin helps drive convergent extension. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2491-508 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which an actomyosin network linked at AP AJs by Canoe and coupled to apical polarity proteins regulates convergent extension. ..
- Kunttas Tatli E, Zhou M, Zimmerman S, Molinar O, Zhouzheng F, Carter K, et al. Destruction complex function in the Wnt signaling pathway of Drosophila requires multiple interactions between Adenomatous polyposis coli 2 and Armadillo. Genetics. 2012;190:1059-75 pubmed publisher..APC binds directly to the main effector of the pathway, ?-catenin (?cat, Drosophila Armadillo), and helps to target it for degradation...
- Schneider M, Khalil A, Poulton J, Castillejo Lopez C, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A, et al. Perlecan and Dystroglycan act at the basal side of the Drosophila follicular epithelium to maintain epithelial organization. Development. 2006;133:3805-15 pubmed..We suggest that the interaction of Pcan and Dg at the basal side of the epithelium promotes basal membrane differentiation and is required for maintenance of cell polarity in the FCE. ..
- Blankenship J, Backovic S, Sanny J, Weitz O, Zallen J. Multicellular rosette formation links planar cell polarity to tissue morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2006;11:459-70 pubmed..We propose that the generation of higher-order rosette structures links local cell interactions to global tissue reorganization during morphogenesis. ..
- McDonald J, Khodyakova A, Aranjuez G, Dudley C, Montell D. PAR-1 kinase regulates epithelial detachment and directional protrusion of migrating border cells. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1659-67 pubmed publisher..Thus, this work reveals new insights into two distinct, but essential, steps of epithelial cell migration. ..
- Harris T, Peifer M. aPKC controls microtubule organization to balance adherens junction symmetry and planar polarity during development. Dev Cell. 2007;12:727-38 pubmed..aPKC apparently regulates this balance. Without aPKC, abnormally strong microtubule interactions break AJ symmetry and epithelial structure is lost. ..
- Wang Y, Riechmann V. The role of the actomyosin cytoskeleton in coordination of tissue growth during Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1349-55 pubmed..Myosin is activated at the apical cortex by localized Rho kinase and inhibited at the basolateral cortex by PP1beta9C. In addition, our data indicate that active myosin is apically anchored by the Baz/Par-6/aPKC complex. ..
- Larson D, Liberman Z, Cagan R. Cellular behavior in the developing Drosophila pupal retina. Mech Dev. 2008;125:223-32 pubmed publisher..Finally, we establish a role for the adherens junction regulator P120-Catenin in retinal patterning through its regulation of normal adherens junction integrity...
- Homem C, Peifer M. Diaphanous regulates myosin and adherens junctions to control cell contractility and protrusive behavior during morphogenesis. Development. 2008;135:1005-18 pubmed publisher..These effects also are mediated through coordinated effects on myosin activity and adhesion, suggesting a common mechanism for Diaphanous action during morphogenesis. ..
- Biteau B, Hochmuth C, Jasper H. JNK activity in somatic stem cells causes loss of tissue homeostasis in the aging Drosophila gut. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:442-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that this balance is lost in old animals, increasing the potential for neoplastic transformation. ..
- Song H, Spichiger Haeusermann C, Basler K. The ISWI-containing NURF complex regulates the output of the canonical Wingless pathway. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:1140-6 pubmed publisherWingless (Wg) signalling regulates the expression of its target genes through Pangolin, Armadillo and their interacting co-factors...
- Kaplan N, Liu X, Tolwinski N. Epithelial polarity: interactions between junctions and apical-basal machinery. Genetics. 2009;183:897-904 pubmed publisher..relationship between the polarity determinants and adhesion and show that the levels of the adhesion protein Armadillo affect competition...
- Martinez A, Schuettengruber B, Sakr S, Janic A, Gonzalez C, Cavalli G. Polyhomeotic has a tumor suppressor activity mediated by repression of Notch signaling. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1076-82 pubmed publisher..These data show that ph is a tumor suppressor locus that controls cellular proliferation by silencing multiple Notch signaling components. ..
- Tan Y, Yu D, Busto G, WILSON C, Davis R. Wnt signaling is required for long-term memory formation. Cell Rep. 2013;4:1082-9 pubmed publisher..Interfering with ?-catenin expression in adult mushroom body neurons specifically impaired long-term memory (LTM) without altering short-..
- Blankenship J, Fuller M, Zallen J. The Drosophila homolog of the Exo84 exocyst subunit promotes apical epithelial identity. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3099-110 pubmed..Loss of Crumbs from the cell surface precedes the disruption of Bazooka and Armadillo localization in Exo84 mutants...
- Zhou W, Hong Y. Drosophila Patj plays a supporting role in apical-basal polarity but is essential for viability. Development. 2012;139:2891-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results confirm that dPatj possesses an as yet unidentified function that is essential for pupal development. ..
- Chen Y, Jiang J. Decoding the phosphorylation code in Hedgehog signal transduction. Cell Res. 2013;23:186-200 pubmed publisher..In this review, we focus on the multifaceted roles that phosphorylation plays in Hh signal transduction, and discuss the conservation and difference between Drosophila and mammalian Hh signaling mechanisms. ..
- Weake V, Scott M. The non-dosage compensated Lsp1alpha gene of Drosophila melanogaster escapes acetylation by MOF in larval fat body nuclei, but is flanked by two dosage compensated genes. BMC Mol Biol. 2007;8:35 pubmed..The X-linked Larval serum protein one alpha (Lsp1alpha) gene has long been known to be not dosage compensated. Here we have examined possible explanations for why the Lsp1alpha gene is not dosage compensated...
- Harris K, Tepass U. Cdc42 and Par proteins stabilize dynamic adherens junctions in the Drosophila neuroectoderm through regulation of apical endocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1129-43 pubmed publisher..This study reveals functional interactions between apical polarity proteins and endocytosis that are critical for stabilizing dynamic basolateral AJs. ..
- Mathur D, Bost A, Driver I, Ohlstein B. A transient niche regulates the specification of Drosophila intestinal stem cells. Science. 2010;327:210-3 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a paradigm for stem cell-niche biology, where progenitors generate transient niches that determine stem cell fate and may give insights into stem cell specification in other tissues. ..
- König A, Shcherbata H. Visualization of adult stem cells within their niches using the Drosophila germline as a model system. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1035:25-33 pubmed publisher..Here we describe how Drosophilae germaria can be dissected and specifically immuno-stained to allow for identification and analysis of both the adult stem cells and their somatic niche cells. ..
- Hoffmans R, Basler K. BCL9-2 binds Arm/beta-catenin in a Tyr142-independent manner and requires Pygopus for its function in Wg/Wnt signaling. Mech Dev. 2007;124:59-67 pubmed..In response to Wg/Wnt signaling, Armadillo/beta-catenin associates in the nucleus with DNA bound TCF and several co-factors, among them Legless/BCL9, which ..
- Galindo M, FernÃ¡ndez Garza D, Phillips R, Couso J. Control of Distal-less expression in the Drosophila appendages by functional 3' enhancers. Dev Biol. 2011;353:396-410 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results suggest that some enhancers, contrary to the widely accepted notion, may require a specific 5' or 3' position with respect to the transcribed region. ..
- Valenta T, Gay M, Steiner S, Draganova K, Zemke M, Hoffmans R, et al. Probing transcription-specific outputs of ?-catenin in vivo. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2631-43 pubmed publisherb>Catenin, apart from playing a cell-adhesive role, is a key nuclear effector of Wnt signaling...
- Gates J, Mahaffey J, Rogers S, Emerson M, Rogers E, Sottile S, et al. Enabled plays key roles in embryonic epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:2027-39 pubmed..We also explored filopodial regulation in cultured Drosophila cells and embryos. These data provide new insights into developmental and mechanistic roles of this important actin regulator. ..
- Grusche F, Hidalgo C, Fletcher G, Sung H, Sahai E, Thompson B. Sds22, a PP1 phosphatase regulatory subunit, regulates epithelial cell polarity and shape [Sds22 in epithelial morphology]. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:14 pubmed publisher..This function is shared by the human homologue of Sds22, PPP1R7. Sds22 is a conserved PP1 phosphatase regulatory subunit that controls cell shape and polarity. ..
- Massarwa R, Schejter E, Shilo B. Apical secretion in epithelial tubes of the Drosophila embryo is directed by the Formin-family protein Diaphanous. Dev Cell. 2009;16:877-88 pubmed publisher..This mechanism allows efficient utilization of the entire apical membrane for secretion. ..
- Huang J, Huang L, Chen Y, Austin E, Devor C, Roegiers F, et al. Differential regulation of adherens junction dynamics during apical-basal polarization. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:4001-13 pubmed publisher..validated GFP markers of Drosophila E-cadherin (DE-cadherin, hereafter referred to as DE-Cad) and ?-catenin (Armadillo, Arm) to quantitatively assay the in vivo dynamics of biosynthetic turnover and membrane redistribution by ..
- Estella C, Mckay D, Mann R. Molecular integration of wingless, decapentaplegic, and autoregulatory inputs into Distalless during Drosophila leg development. Dev Cell. 2008;14:86-96 pubmed publisher..The "trigger-maintenance" model describes a mechanism by which secreted morphogens act combinatorially to induce the stable expression of target genes. ..
- Kessler T, Müller H. Cleavage of Armadillo/beta-catenin by the caspase DrICE in Drosophila apoptotic epithelial cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:15 pubmed publisher..Since Armadillo/beta-catenin (Arm) is a major regulator of cadherin-mediated adhesion, we analyzed the mechanisms of Arm ..
- Colosimo P, Tolwinski N. Wnt, Hedgehog and junctional Armadillo/beta-catenin establish planar polarity in the Drosophila embryo. PLoS ONE. 2006;1:e9 pubmed..find that proper polarity in the late embryo also involves the asymmetric distribution and phosphorylation of Armadillo (Arm or beta-catenin) at the membrane and that interference with this Arm phosphorylation leads to polarity ..
- Letizia A, Sotillos S, Campuzano S, Llimargas M. Regulated Crb accumulation controls apical constriction and invagination in Drosophila tracheal cells. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:240-51 pubmed publisher..This hypothesis is supported by the phenotype of lethal giant larvae (lgl); crb double mutants. These results unveil a link between Crb and the organisation of the actin cytoskeleton during morphogenesis. ..
- Fiedler M, Mendoza Topaz C, Rutherford T, Mieszczanek J, Bienz M. Dishevelled interacts with the DIX domain polymerization interface of Axin to interfere with its function in down-regulating ?-catenin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:1937-42 pubmed publisher..polymerization-blocking mutations in the DIX domain of Axin disable its effector function in down-regulating Armadillo/?-catenin and its response to Dishevelled during Wnt signaling...
- Ohlstein B, Spradling A. Multipotent Drosophila intestinal stem cells specify daughter cell fates by differential notch signaling. Science. 2007;315:988-92 pubmed..Thus, ISCs control daughter cell fate by modulating Notch signaling over time. Our studies suggest that ISCs actively coordinate cell production with local tissue requirements by this mechanism. ..
- Port F, Kuster M, Herr P, Furger E, Bänziger C, Hausmann G, et al. Wingless secretion promotes and requires retromer-dependent cycling of Wntless. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:178-85 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Wg, clathrin-mediated endocytosis and retromer sustain a Wls traffic loop from the Golgi to the plasma membrane and back to the Golgi, thereby enabling Wls to direct Wnt secretion. ..
- Franz A, Riechmann V. Stepwise polarisation of the Drosophila follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 2010;338:136-47 pubmed publisher..with the formation of adherens junctions, whose positioning is controlled by combined activities of Par-3, beta-catenin, and Discs large. Subsequently, Par-6 and aPKC localise to the apical membrane in a Par-3-dependent manner...
- Roberts D, Pronobis M, Alexandre K, Rogers G, Poulton J, Schneider D, et al. Defining components of the ß-catenin destruction complex and exploring its regulation and mechanisms of action during development. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31284 pubmed publisher..of ligand is regulated proteasomal destruction of the canonical Wnt effector ßcatenin (or its fly homolog Armadillo)...
- Starz Gaiano M, Melani M, Wang X, Meinhardt H, Montell D. Feedback inhibition of Jak/STAT signaling by apontic is required to limit an invasive cell population. Dev Cell. 2008;14:726-38 pubmed publisher..These findings are supported by a mathematical model, which accurately simulates wild-type and mutant phenotypes. ..
- Bossuyt W, De Geest N, Aerts S, Leenaerts I, Marynen P, Hassan B. The atonal proneural transcription factor links differentiation and tumor formation in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e40 pubmed publisher..Combined with evidence that atonal's mammalian homolog, ATOH1, is a tumor suppressor gene, our data support a critical, evolutionarily conserved, function for ato in oncogenesis. ..
- Zhou M, Kunttas Tatli E, Zimmerman S, Zhouzheng F, McCartney B. Cortical localization of APC2 plays a role in actin organization but not in Wnt signaling in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1589-600 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that both the Armadillo repeats and a novel C-terminal domain are necessary for the cortical localization of APC2 in S2 cells and in the ..
- Brown K, Baonza A, Freeman M. Epithelial cell adhesion in the developing Drosophila retina is regulated by Atonal and the EGF receptor pathway. Dev Biol. 2006;300:710-21 pubmed..In the absence of either component, no arcs are formed behind the furrow, and all cells show low Armadillo and DE-cadherin levels, although in the case of EGFR pathway mutants, single, presumptive R8 cells with high ..
- Fox D, Peifer M. Abelson kinase (Abl) and RhoGEF2 regulate actin organization during cell constriction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:567-78 pubmed..These observations identify an important morphogenetic role for Abl and suggest a conserved mechanism for this kinase during apical cell constriction. ..
- Gallet A, Staccini Lavenant L, Therond P. Cellular trafficking of the glypican Dally-like is required for full-strength Hedgehog signaling and wingless transcytosis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:712-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, Dlp endocytosis is a common regulatory mechanism of both Hh and Wg morphogen action. ..
- Fetting J, Spencer S, Wolff T. The cell adhesion molecules Echinoid and Friend of Echinoid coordinate cell adhesion and cell signaling to regulate the fidelity of ommatidial rotation in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2009;136:3323-33 pubmed publisher..Significantly, we demonstrate that at least one PCP protein, Stbm, is required in R7 to control the degree of ommatidial rotation. ..
- Roberts D, Pronobis M, Poulton J, Waldmann J, Stephenson E, Hanna S, et al. Deconstructing the ßcatenin destruction complex: mechanistic roles for the tumor suppressor APC in regulating Wnt signaling. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1845-63 pubmed publisher..in the "destruction complex" with Axin, glycogen synthase kinase 3, and casein kinase, APC targets ßcatenin (ßcat) for phosphorylation and recognition by an E3 ubiquitin-ligase...
- Ward E, Shcherbata H, Reynolds S, Fischer K, Hatfield S, Ruohola Baker H. Stem cells signal to the niche through the Notch pathway in the Drosophila ovary. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2352-8 pubmed..Demonstration that stem cells can contribute to niche function has far-reaching consequences for stem cell therapies and may provide insight into how cancer can spread throughout an organism via populations of cancer stem cells. ..
- Hayden M, Akong K, Peifer M. Novel roles for APC family members and Wingless/Wnt signaling during Drosophila brain development. Dev Biol. 2007;305:358-76 pubmed..Finally, we propose a model suggesting that Wg signaling regulates fine scale cell fates along the anterior-posterior axis, in part by creating an adhesion gradient and consider possible alternate explanations for our observations. ..
- O Keefe D, Prober D, Moyle P, Rickoll W, Edgar B. Egfr/Ras signaling regulates DE-cadherin/Shotgun localization to control vein morphogenesis in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2007;311:25-39 pubmed..Ras, therefore, regulates both the transcriptional responses necessary for vein cell identity, and the cell adhesive changes that determine vein and intervein cell morphology. ..
- Li Q, Xin T, Chen W, Zhu M, Li M. Lethal(2)giant larvae is required in the follicle cells for formation of the initial AP asymmetry and the oocyte polarity during Drosophila oogenesis. Cell Res. 2008;18:372-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide the first demonstration that lgl is implicated in the formation of the initial AP asymmetry and the patterning of the AP and DV axes in the oocyte by acting in the specification of a subset of somatic follicle cells. ..
- Bertet C, Rauzi M, Lecuit T. Repression of Wasp by JAK/STAT signalling inhibits medial actomyosin network assembly and apical cell constriction in intercalating epithelial cells. Development. 2009;136:4199-212 pubmed publisher..We discuss possible models for the role of Wasp activity in the regulation of Myo-II distribution. ..
- Zimmerman S, Thorpe L, Medrano V, Mallozzi C, McCartney B. Apical constriction and invagination downstream of the canonical Wnt signaling pathway require Rho1 and Myosin II. Dev Biol. 2010;340:54-66 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest a novel link between canonical Wnt signaling and epithelial structure that requires activation of the Rho1 pathway and Myosin II. ..
- Morais de SÃ¡ E, Mirouse V, St Johnston D. aPKC phosphorylation of Bazooka defines the apical/lateral border in Drosophila epithelial cells. Cell. 2010;141:509-23 pubmed publisher..Although Baz acts as an aPKC targeting and specificity factor in nonepithelial cells, our results reveal that it performs a complementary function in positioning the adherens junction in epithelia. ..
- Chen C, Gajewski K, Hamaratoglu F, Bossuyt W, Sansores Garcia L, Tao C, et al. The apical-basal cell polarity determinant Crumbs regulates Hippo signaling in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15810-5 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that Crb regulates growth through Hippo signaling, and thus identify Crb as a previously undescribed upstream input into the Hippo pathway. ..
- Fernández B, Gaspar P, Bras Pereira C, Jezowska B, Rebelo S, Janody F. Actin-Capping Protein and the Hippo pathway regulate F-actin and tissue growth in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:2337-46 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate a novel interplay between Hippo pathway activity and actin filament dynamics that is essential for normal growth control. ..
- Yamulla R, Kane E, Moody A, Politi K, Lock N, Foley A, et al. Testing models of the APC tumor suppressor/?-catenin interaction reshapes our view of the destruction complex in Wnt signaling. Genetics. 2014;197:1285-302 pubmed publisher..APC participates in a multiprotein "destruction complex" that targets the proto-oncogene ?-catenin for ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis; however, the mechanistic role of APC in the destruction complex remains ..
- Laplante C, Nilson L. Asymmetric distribution of Echinoid defines the epidermal leading edge during Drosophila dorsal closure. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:335-48 pubmed publisher..The planar polarized distribution of Ed in the DME cells thus provides a spatial cue that polarizes the DME cell actin cytoskeleton, defining the epidermal leading edge and establishing its contractile properties. ..
- Fiehler R, Wolff T. Drosophila Myosin II, Zipper, is essential for ommatidial rotation. Dev Biol. 2007;310:348-62 pubmed..Finally, cell death genes and canonical Wnt signaling pathway members genetically modify the zip phenotype. ..
- Sawyer J, Harris N, Slep K, Gaul U, Peifer M. The Drosophila afadin homologue Canoe regulates linkage of the actin cytoskeleton to adherens junctions during apical constriction. J Cell Biol. 2009;186:57-73 pubmed publisher..Cno has multiple direct interactions with AJ proteins, but is not a core part of the cadherin-catenin complex. Instead, Cno localizes to AJs by a Rap1- and actin-dependent mechanism...
- Eivers E, Fuentealba L, Sander V, Clemens J, Hartnett L, De Robertis E. Mad is required for wingless signaling in wing development and segment patterning in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6543 pubmed publisher..In Xenopus embryos, segmental border formation was disrupted by Smad8 depletion. The results show that Mad is required for Wingless signaling and for the integration of gradients of positional information. ..
- Laplante C, Paul S, Beitel G, Nilson L. Echinoid regulates tracheal morphology and fusion cell fate in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2509-19 pubmed publisher..Tracheal-specific expression of Ed rescues these fusion defects, indicating that Ed acts in trachea to control fusion cell fate. ..
- Agelopoulos M, Mckay D, Mann R. Developmental regulation of chromatin conformation by Hox proteins in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2012;1:350-9 pubmed..The pattern of binding by GAGA factor and the variant histone H2Av suggest that they play a role in the regulation of Dll chromatin conformation in expressing and nonexpressing cell types, respectively. ..
- Jang A, Chang Y, Bai J, Montell D. Border-cell migration requires integration of spatial and temporal signals by the BTB protein Abrupt. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:569-79 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide a molecular mechanism by which spatial and temporal cues are integrated. ..
- Komori H, Xiao Q, McCartney B, Lee C. Brain tumor specifies intermediate progenitor cell identity by attenuating ?-catenin/Armadillo activity. Development. 2014;141:51-62 pubmed publisher..critically dependent on the function of the Wnt destruction complex, which attenuates the activity of ?-catenin/Armadillo (Arm) in immature INPs...
- Bolivar J, Pearson J, López Onieva L, González Reyes A. Genetic dissection of a stem cell niche: the case of the Drosophila ovary. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2969-79 pubmed
- Apidianakis Y, Pitsouli C, Perrimon N, Rahme L. Synergy between bacterial infection and genetic predisposition in intestinal dysplasia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20883-8 pubmed publisher..Assessment of progenitor cell responses to pathogenic intestinal bacteria could provide a measure of predisposition for apoptotic enterocyte-assisted intestinal dysplasias in humans. ..
- Singh S, Liu W, Hou S. The adult Drosophila malpighian tubules are maintained by multipotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2007;1:191-203 pubmed publisher..Identifying adult kidney stem cells in Drosophila may provide important clues for understanding mammalian kidney repair and regeneration during injury. ..
- Singh J, Aaronson S, Mlodzik M. Drosophila Abelson kinase mediates cell invasion and proliferation through two distinct MAPK pathways. Oncogene. 2010;29:4033-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting Src-Abl, using available dual inhibitors, could be of therapeutic importance in tumor cell metastasis. ..
- Kaplan N, Tolwinski N. Spatially defined Dsh-Lgl interaction contributes to directional tissue morphogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:3157-65 pubmed publisher..We conclude that apical-basal proteins, used to establish polarity within a cell, can be independently co-opted to function in epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Hamada Kawaguchi N, Nore B, Kuwada Y, Smith C, Yamamoto D. Btk29A promotes Wnt4 signaling in the niche to terminate germ cell proliferation in Drosophila. Science. 2014;343:294-7 pubmed publisher..This phenotype was rescued by overexpression of wild-type Btk29A and phenocopied by the interference of Wnt4-?-catenin signaling or its putative downstream nuclear protein Piwi in somatic escort cells...
- Kölsch V, Seher T, Fernandez Ballester G, Serrano L, Leptin M. Control of Drosophila gastrulation by apical localization of adherens junctions and RhoGEF2. Science. 2007;315:384-6 pubmed..Together with G protein signaling, T48 recruits adherens junctions and the cytoskeletal regulator RhoGEF2 to the sites of apical constriction, ensuring rapid and intense changes in cell shape. ..
- Tripathi R, Kota S, Srinivas U. Cullin4B/E3-ubiquitin ligase negatively regulates beta-catenin. J Biosci. 2007;32:1133-8 pubmed..Loss-of-function mutation in Drosophila cul4 also shows increased beta-catenin/Armadillo levels in developing embryos and displays a characteristic naked-cuticle phenotype...
- Zeng Y, Rahnama M, Wang S, Lee W, Verheyen E. Inhibition of Drosophila Wg signaling involves competition between Mad and Armadillo/beta-catenin for dTcf binding. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3893 pubmed publisher..In vitro binding studies revealed competition for dTcf binding between Mad and the Wnt effector beta-catenin/Armadillo (Arm)...
- Genevet A, Wehr M, Brain R, Thompson B, Tapon N. Kibra is a regulator of the Salvador/Warts/Hippo signaling network. Dev Cell. 2010;18:300-8 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Kibra is part of an apical scaffold that promotes SWH pathway activity. ..
- Widmann T, Dahmann C. Wingless signaling and the control of cell shape in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Dev Biol. 2009;334:161-73 pubmed publisher..Conversely, overexpression of Wingless, a constitutively-active form of the Wingless transducer beta-catenin/Armadillo, or Vestigial, results in precocious cell elongation...
- Shao W, Wu J, Chen J, Lee D, Tishkina A, Harris T. A modifier screen for Bazooka/PAR-3 interacting genes in the Drosophila embryo epithelium. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9938 pubmed publisher..For 13 of the 17 genes, this is the first report of a link to baz or the regulation of epithelial structure. ..
- Liu Y, Chang M, Li H, Barolo S, Chang J, Blauwkamp T, et al. The chromatin remodelers ISWI and ACF1 directly repress Wingless transcriptional targets. Dev Biol. 2008;323:41-52 pubmed publisher..Our results argue that WG signaling activates target gene expression partly by overcoming the chromatin barrier maintained by ISWI and ACF1. ..
- David D, Tishkina A, Harris T. The PAR complex regulates pulsed actomyosin contractions during amnioserosa apical constriction in Drosophila. Development. 2010;137:1645-55 pubmed publisher..These results identify the mechanics of actomyosin contractility that drive amnioserosa apical constriction and how specific steps of the contractile mechanism are regulated by the PAR complex...
- Simões S, Blankenship J, Weitz O, Farrell D, Tamada M, Fernandez Gonzalez R, et al. Rho-kinase directs Bazooka/Par-3 planar polarity during Drosophila axis elongation. Dev Cell. 2010;19:377-88 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Rho-kinase plays an instructive role in planar polarity by targeting Baz/Par-3 and myosin II to complementary cortical domains. ..
- Lin H, Chen H, Wei S, Chen L, Chang L, Sun Y, et al. Cell adhesion molecule Echinoid associates with unconventional myosin VI/Jaguar motor to regulate cell morphology during dorsal closure in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;311:423-33 pubmed..Consistent with this, we found that ectopic ed expression in the amnioserosa induces myosin VI/Jar-dependent apical constriction of this tissue. ..
- Bulgakova N, Kempkens O, Knust E. Multiple domains of Stardust differentially mediate localisation of the Crumbs-Stardust complex during photoreceptor development in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:2018-26 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the importance of the different Sdt domains and point to a more intricate regulation of the Crb-Sdt complex in adult photoreceptor cells. ..
- Chang M, Chang J, Gangopadhyay A, Shearer A, Cadigan K. Activation of wingless targets requires bipartite recognition of DNA by TCF. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1877-81 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that DNA recognition by fly TCF occurs through a bipartite mechanism, involving both the HMG domain and the C-clamp, which enables TCF to locate and activate WREs in the nucleus. ..
- McGill M, McKinley R, Harris T. Independent cadherin-catenin and Bazooka clusters interact to assemble adherens junctions. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:787-96 pubmed publisher..These data reveal that SAJs are subdivided into Baz clusters and cadherin-catenin clusters with independent protein numbers and dynamics...
- Genevet A, Polesello C, Blight K, Robertson F, Collinson L, Pichaud F, et al. The Hippo pathway regulates apical-domain size independently of its growth-control function. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:2360-70 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Hippo signalling controls growth and apical domain size by distinct mechanisms. ..
- Szafranski P, Goode S. Basolateral junctions are sufficient to suppress epithelial invasion during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:364-73 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that spatiotemporal patterns of basolateral junction activity directly suppress epithelial invasion by organizing the cooperative activity of distinct polarity and motility pathways. ..
- Laprise P, Lau K, Harris K, Silva Gagliardi N, Paul S, Beronja S, et al. Yurt, Coracle, Neurexin IV and the Na(+),K(+)-ATPase form a novel group of epithelial polarity proteins. Nature. 2009;459:1141-5 pubmed publisher..We also find that the mammalian Yrt orthologue EPB41L5 (also known as YMO1 and Limulus) is required for lateral membrane formation, indicating a conserved function of Yrt proteins in epithelial polarity. ..
- Walther R, Pichaud F. Crumbs/DaPKC-dependent apical exclusion of Bazooka promotes photoreceptor polarity remodeling. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1065-74 pubmed publisher..This molecular sorting mechanism results in setting up the boundary between the photoreceptor subapical membrane and the za. ..