Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: aos
Alias: Aos, Argos, CG4531, DmAos, Dmel\CG4531, arg, gil, l(3)05845, l(3)05959, l(3)j5E11, l(3)rJ472, l(3)rJ812, l(3)rQ526, rlt, sty, argos, CG4531-PA, aos-PA, giant lens, roulette, strawberry
Species: fruit fly
- Hsu T, Schulz R. Sequence and functional properties of Ets genes in the model organism Drosophila. Oncogene. 2000;19:6409-16 pubmed..The information should be of significant value to the study of related processes in higher organisms due to the growing evidence for the cross species conservation of developmental mechanisms. ..
- Howes R, Wasserman J, Freeman M. In vivo analysis of Argos structure-function. Sequence requirements for inhibition of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:4275-81 pubmedThe Drosophila Argos protein is the only known extracellular inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)...
- Pallavi S, Shashidhara L. Egfr/Ras pathway mediates interactions between peripodial and disc proper cells in Drosophila wing discs. Development. 2003;130:4931-41 pubmed..These results on signaling between squamous and columnar epithelia are particularly significant in the context of in vitro studies using human cell lines that suggest a role for the Egfr/Ras pathway in metastasis and tumour progression. ..
- Sotillos S, de Celis J. Interactions between the Notch, EGFR, and decapentaplegic signaling pathways regulate vein differentiation during Drosophila pupal wing development. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:738-52 pubmed..Once dpp expression is initiated, Dpp and EGFR activities in the provein maintain each other and, in cooperation, determine vein cell differentiation. ..
- Zhang J, Graham T, Vivekanand P, Cote L, Cetera M, Rebay I. Sterile alpha motif domain-mediated self-association plays an essential role in modulating the activity of the Drosophila ETS family transcriptional repressor Yan. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1158-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that the formation of higher-order Yan oligomers contributes to proper repression of target gene expression and RTK signaling output in developing tissues. ..
- Reeves G, Kalifa R, Klein D, Lemmon M, Shvartsman S. Computational analysis of EGFR inhibition by Argos. Dev Biol. 2005;284:523-35 pubmedb>Argos, a secreted inhibitor of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor, and the only known secreted receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, acts by sequestering the EGFR ligand Spitz...
- Wessells R, Grumbling G, Donaldson T, Wang S, Simcox A. Tissue-specific regulation of vein/EGF receptor signaling in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1999;216:243-59 pubmed..by four known EGF-like proteins: the agonists Vein (Vn), Spitz (Spi), and Gurken (Grk) and the antagonist Argos (Aos)...
- Brown K, Baonza A, Freeman M. Epithelial cell adhesion in the developing Drosophila retina is regulated by Atonal and the EGF receptor pathway. Dev Biol. 2006;300:710-21 pubmed..These observations define a new function for EGFR signalling in eye development and illustrate a mechanism for the control of epithelial morphology by developmental signals. ..
- McNeill H, Craig G, Bateman J. Regulation of neurogenesis and epidermal growth factor receptor signaling by the insulin receptor/target of rapamycin pathway in Drosophila. Genetics. 2008;179:843-53 pubmed publisher..Together these data suggest that InR/TOR signaling regulates the timing of differentiation through modulation of EGFR target genes in developing photoreceptors. ..
- Bergmann A, Agapite J, McCall K, Steller H. The Drosophila gene hid is a direct molecular target of Ras-dependent survival signaling. Cell. 1998;95:331-41 pubmed..These findings define a novel mechanism by which growth factor signaling directly inactivates a critical component of the intrinsic cell death machinery. These studies provide further insights into the function of ras as an oncogene. ..
- Schlesinger A, Kiger A, Perrimon N, Shilo B. Small wing PLCgamma is required for ER retention of cleaved Spitz during eye development in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2004;7:535-45 pubmed..Retention of cSpi in the ER provides a novel mechanism for restricting active ligand levels and hence the range of EGFR activation in the developing eye. ..
- Gabay L, Scholz H, Golembo M, Klaes A, Shilo B, Klämbt C. EGF receptor signaling induces pointed P1 transcription and inactivates Yan protein in the Drosophila embryonic ventral ectoderm. Development. 1996;122:3355-62 pubmed..two antagonizing transcription factors subsequently control the expression of secondary target genes such as otd, argos and tartan...
- Wasserman J, Urban S, Freeman M. A family of rhomboid-like genes: Drosophila rhomboid-1 and roughoid/rhomboid-3 cooperate to activate EGF receptor signaling. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1651-63 pubmed..Rhomboid-1 and Roughoid/Rhomboid-3 act in the signal-emitting not signal-receiving cell, supporting the idea that Spitz activation is regulated by Rhomboid-like molecules. ..
- Guichard A, Biehs B, Sturtevant M, Wickline L, Chacko J, Howard K, et al. rhomboid and Star interact synergistically to promote EGFR/MAPK signaling during Drosophila wing vein development. Development. 1999;126:2663-76 pubmed..In contrast, spi does not play an essential role in the wing. These data indicate that rho and S act in concert, but independently of spi, to promote vein development through the EGFR/MAPK signaling pathway. ..
- Ajuria L, Nieva C, Winkler C, Kuo D, Samper N, Andreu M, et al. Capicua DNA-binding sites are general response elements for RTK signaling in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:915-24 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Capicua octamers are general response elements for RTK signaling in Drosophila. ..
- Culi J, Martin Blanco E, Modolell J. The EGF receptor and N signalling pathways act antagonistically in Drosophila mesothorax bristle patterning. Development. 2001;128:299-308 pubmed..Excess EGFR signalling can overrule lateral inhibition and allow adjacent cells to become SMCs and sensory organs. Thus, the EGFR and Notch pathways act antagonistically in notum macrochaetae determination. ..
- Stemerdink C, Jacobs J. Argos and Spitz group genes function to regulate midline glial cell number in Drosophila embryos. Development. 1997;124:3787-96 pubmed..b>Argos, a secreted molecule with an atypical EGF motif, is postulated to function as a DER antagonist...
- Freeman M. Feedback control of intercellular signalling in development. Nature. 2000;408:313-9 pubmed..These feedback interactions can impart precision, robustness and versatility to intercellular signals. Feedback failure can cause disease. ..
- Perrimon N, McMahon A. Negative feedback mechanisms and their roles during pattern formation. Cell. 1999;97:13-6 pubmed
- Schweitzer R, Shilo B. A thousand and one roles for the Drosophila EGF receptor. Trends Genet. 1997;13:191-6 pubmed..The cellular mechanisms that translate EGFR activation to discrete cell fates are now the focus of intense studies. ..
- Klein D, Nappi V, Reeves G, Shvartsman S, Lemmon M. Argos inhibits epidermal growth factor receptor signalling by ligand sequestration. Nature. 2004;430:1040-4 pubmed..In Drosophila melanogaster the secreted protein Argos functions as the only known extracellular inhibitor of EGFR, with clearly identified roles in multiple stages of ..
- Sawamoto K, Okano H, Kobayakawa Y, Hayashi S, Mikoshiba K, Tanimura T. The function of argos in regulating cell fate decisions during Drosophila eye and wing vein development. Dev Biol. 1994;164:267-76 pubmedThe Drosophila argos gene, which encodes a secreted protein with an EGF motif, is involved in several developmental processes regulating cell-cell interactions such as eye morphogenesis...
- Helman A, Cinnamon E, Mezuman S, Hayouka Z, Von Ohlen T, Orian A, et al. Phosphorylation of Groucho mediates RTK feedback inhibition and prolonged pathway target gene expression. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1102-10 pubmed publisher..We propose that, in this manner, phosphorylation of Groucho enables transiently active RTK pathways to fix the spatiotemporal expression profiles of downstream targets over time. ..
- Baker D, Mille Baker B, Wainwright S, Ish Horowicz D, Dibb N. Mae mediates MAP kinase phosphorylation of Ets transcription factors in Drosophila. Nature. 2001;411:330-4 pubmed..Our study indicates that MAPK signalling specificity may depend on proteins that couple specific substrates to the kinase. ..
- Freeman M, Klämbt C, Goodman C, Rubin G. The argos gene encodes a diffusible factor that regulates cell fate decisions in the Drosophila eye. Cell. 1992;69:963-75 pubmedThe argos gene encodes a protein that is required for viability and that regulates the determination of cells in the Drosophila eye...
- Ninov N, Manjón C, Martin Blanco E. Dynamic control of cell cycle and growth coupling by ecdysone, EGFR, and PI3K signaling in Drosophila histoblasts. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000079 pubmed publisher..It sets the stage for the comprehensive understanding of the coordination of cell growth and cell-cycle progression in complex multicellular eukaryotes. ..
- Housden B, Terriente Félix A, Bray S. Context-dependent enhancer selection confers alternate modes of notch regulation on argos. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:664-72 pubmed publisher..To investigate mechanisms that underlie different modes of cross talk, we have focused on argos, an EGFR pathway regulator in Drosophila melanogaster which is upregulated by Notch in adult muscle progenitors ..
- Casci T, Vinós J, Freeman M. Sprouty, an intracellular inhibitor of Ras signaling. Cell. 1999;96:655-65 pubmed..Sprouty binds to two intracellular components of the Ras pathway, Drk and Gap1. Our results indicate that Sprouty is a widespread inhibitor of Ras pathway signal transduction. ..
- Golembo M, Schweitzer R, Freeman M, Shilo B. Argos transcription is induced by the Drosophila EGF receptor pathway to form an inhibitory feedback loop. Development. 1996;122:223-30 pubmedb>Argos is a secreted molecule with an atypical EGF motif. It was recently shown to function as an inhibitor of the signaling triggered by the Drosophila EGF receptor (DER)...
- Kramer S, Okabe M, Hacohen N, Krasnow M, Hiromi Y. Sprouty: a common antagonist of FGF and EGF signaling pathways in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:2515-25 pubmed..These receptor tyrosine kinase-mediated pathways may share not only intracellular signaling components but also extracellular factors that modulate the strength of the signal. ..
- Marenda D, Vrailas A, Rodrigues A, Cook S, Powers M, Lorenzen J, et al. MAP kinase subcellular localization controls both pattern and proliferation in the developing Drosophila wing. Development. 2006;133:43-51 pubmed
- Wasserman J, Freeman M. An autoregulatory cascade of EGF receptor signaling patterns the Drosophila egg. Cell. 1998;95:355-64 pubmed..Consequent high-level EGFR activation leads to localized expression of the diffusible inhibitor Argos, which alters the profile of signaling...
- Astigarraga S, Grossman R, Diaz Delfin J, Caelles C, Paroush Z, Jiménez G. A MAPK docking site is critical for downregulation of Capicua by Torso and EGFR RTK signaling. EMBO J. 2007;26:668-77 pubmed..Finally, we describe differences in the modes of Capicua downregulation by Torso and EGFR signaling, raising the possibility that such differences contribute to the tissue specificity of both signals. ..
- Pai L, Wang P, Chen S, Barcelo G, Chang W, Nilson L, et al. Differential effects of Cbl isoforms on Egfr signaling in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2006;123:450-62 pubmed..D-CblL is detected in a punctate cytoplasmic pattern, whereas D-CblS is mainly localized at the follicle cell cortex. Therefore, D-CblS and D-CblL may downregulate Egfr through distinct mechanisms. ..
- Van Buskirk C, Schupbach T. Versatility in signalling: multiple responses to EGF receptor activation during Drosophila oogenesis. Trends Cell Biol. 1999;9:1-4 pubmed..In posterior follicle cells, EGFR activity is translated into an on-off response, whereas, in dorsal follicle cells, patterning mechanisms are initiated and refined by feedback that modulates receptor activity over time. ..
- Rawlings J, Rennebeck G, Harrison S, Xi R, Harrison D. Two Drosophila suppressors of cytokine signaling (SOCS) differentially regulate JAK and EGFR pathway activities. BMC Cell Biol. 2004;5:38 pubmed..The non-canonical properties of Socs44A may be representative of the class of less characterized vertebrate SOCS with which it shares greatest similarity. ..
- Shandala T, Kortschak R, Gregory S, Saint R. The Drosophila dead ringer gene is required for early embryonic patterning through regulation of argos and buttonhead expression. Development. 1999;126:4341-9 pubmed..In dri mutant embryos, expression of argos in the terminal domains was severely reduced, accounting for the dri mutant head phenotype...
- Rendina R, Strangi A, Avallone B, Giordano E. Bap170, a subunit of the Drosophila PBAP chromatin remodeling complex, negatively regulates the EGFR signaling. Genetics. 2010;186:167-81 pubmed publisher..a dual requirement of the PBAP complex: for transcriptional repression of rhomboid and for efficient expression of argos. Interestingly, genetic evidence also indicates that Bap170-mediated repression of rho is inhibited by EGFR ..
- Bogdan S, Klämbt C. Epidermal growth factor receptor signaling. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R292-5 pubmed
- Arya R, Lakhotia S. Hsp60D is essential for caspase-mediated induced apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2008;13:509-26 pubmed publisher..Depletion of either of these proteins disrupts the granular distribution of the other. We suggest that in the absence of Hsp60D, DIAP1 is unable to dissociate from effecter and executioner caspases, which thus remain inactive. ..
- Meier P, Evan G. Dying like flies. Cell. 1998;95:295-8 pubmed
- Bonini N, Choi K. Early decisions in Drosophila eye morphogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1995;5:507-15 pubmed..Progress has been made in the study of the coordination between cell cycle control and cell differentiation, as well as in the genetic control of morphogenetic movements within the developing eye disc. ..
- Brodu V, Elstob P, Gould A. EGF receptor signaling regulates pulses of cell delamination from the Drosophila ectoderm. Dev Cell. 2004;7:885-95 pubmed..These findings illustrate how intercellular signaling and cell movements can generate multiple cycles of a cell behavior, despite individual cells experiencing only one cycle of receptor activation. ..
- Nakamura Y, Matsuno K. Species-specific activation of EGF receptor signaling underlies evolutionary diversity in the dorsal appendage number of the genus Drosophila eggshells. Mech Dev. 2003;120:897-907 pubmed..Here we show that during oogenesis the expression patterns of rhomboid (rho) and argos (aos), positive and negative regulators of EGFR signaling, respectively, were substantially different between D...
- Pai L, Barcelo G, Schupbach T. D-cbl, a negative regulator of the Egfr pathway, is required for dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila oogenesis. Cell. 2000;103:51-61 pubmed..In addition, Egfr activity has to be repressed through the activity of D-cbl to ensure the absence of signaling in the ventral most follicle cells. ..
- Grieder N, Charlafti I, Kloter U, Jackle H, Schäfer U, Gehring W. Misexpression screen in Drosophila melanogaster aiming to reveal novel factors involved in formation of body parts. Genetics. 2007;175:1707-18 pubmed..In the other line, the arista is transformed into a tubular structure, resembling an abnormal leg. We found that ectopic expression of abrupt was responsible for this potential transformation of the arista. ..
- Steinhauer J, Liu H, Miller E, Treisman J. Trafficking of the EGFR ligand Spitz regulates its signaling activity in polarized tissues. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:4469-78 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data support the model that localized trafficking of the pro-protein restricts its ability to activate the receptor in polarized tissues. ..
- Wildonger J, Sosinsky A, Honig B, Mann R. Lozenge directly activates argos and klumpfuss to regulate programmed cell death. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1034-9 pubmed..We identified Lz-binding sites in introns of argos (aos) and klumpfuss (klu) and demonstrate that these genes are directly activated targets of Lz...
- Pizette S, Rabouille C, Cohen S, Therond P. Glycosphingolipids control the extracellular gradient of the Drosophila EGFR ligand Gurken. Development. 2009;136:551-61 pubmed publisher..Our study assigns a novel role for GSLs in morphogen diffusion, possibly through regulation of their conformation. ..
- Melen G, Levy S, Barkai N, Shilo B. Threshold responses to morphogen gradients by zero-order ultrasensitivity. Mol Syst Biol. 2005;1:2005.0028 pubmed..We propose that a reversible loop of Yan phosphorylation implements a zero-order ultrasensitivity-like threshold mechanism, with the capacity to form sharp thresholds that are independent of the level of Yan. ..
- Zettl M, Adrain C, Strisovsky K, Lastun V, Freeman M. Rhomboid family pseudoproteases use the ER quality control machinery to regulate intercellular signaling. Cell. 2011;145:79-91 pubmed publisher..Inactive cognates of enzymes are common, but their functions are mostly unclear; our data indicate that pseudoenzymes can readily evolve into regulatory proteins, suggesting that this may be a significant evolutionary mechanism. ..
- Christian J, Nakayama T. Can't get no SMADisfaction: Smad proteins as positive and negative regulators of TGF-beta family signals. Bioessays. 1999;21:382-90 pubmed..Negative feedback circuits such as these play important roles in fine-tuning the activity of multifunctional signaling molecules during embryonic patterning and in response to pathologic stimuli in adults. ..
- Fanto M, Weber U, Strutt D, Mlodzik M. Nuclear signaling by Rac and Rho GTPases is required in the establishment of epithelial planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2000;10:979-88 pubmed..Rac is specifically required downstream of Dsh in the Fz pathway. It functions upstream or in parallel to RhoA and both signal to the nucleus, through distinct effectors, to establish planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. ..
- Boisclair Lachance J, Fregoso Lomas M, Eleiche A, Bouchard Kerr P, Nilson L. Graded Egfr activity patterns the Drosophila eggshell independently of autocrine feedback. Development. 2009;136:2893-902 pubmed publisher..patterning models, that feedback regulation of Egfr activity by the autocrine ligand Spitz and the inhibitor Argos is not necessary for patterning...
- Majumdar N, Paez G, Inamdar S, D Rozario M, Marenda D. MAP kinase phosphorylation is dispensable for cell division, but required for cell growth in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2010;4:204-12 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that non-phosphorylated MAPK is sufficient to induce cell division, but not cell growth, once inside the nucleus of the cell. ..
- Usha N, Shashidhara L. Interaction between Ataxin-2 Binding Protein 1 and Cubitus-interruptus during wing development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2010;341:389-99 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a mechanism by which Ci may activate targets such as kn, which do not have classical Ci/Gli-binding sites. ..
- Webber J, Zhang J, Mitchell Dick A, Rebay I. 3D chromatin interactions organize Yan chromatin occupancy and repression at the even-skipped locus. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2293-8 pubmed publisher..Our work provides a new paradigm for chromatin-level integration of general repressive inputs with specific patterning information to achieve robust gene expression. ..
- Andrew D, Baker B. Expression of the Drosophila secreted cuticle protein 73 (dsc73) requires Shavenbaby. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1198-206 pubmed publisher..Thus, dsc73 encodes a novel secreted protein, and it is conserved within the Drosophila group. dsc73 may serve as a useful embryonic marker for cuticular patterning. ..
- Okabe M, Sawamoto K, Okano H. The function of the Drosophila argos gene product in the development of embryonic chordotonal organs. Dev Biol. 1996;175:37-49 pubmedWe characterized the embryonic expression pattern and mutant phenotypes of the Drosophila gene argos, which encodes a secreted protein with an epidermal growth factor motif...
- Shulman J, Perrimon N, Axelrod J. Frizzled signaling and the developmental control of cell polarity. Trends Genet. 1998;14:452-8 pubmed..Recently described examples from the nematode and frog suggest that the developmental control of cell polarity by FZ receptors might represent a functionally conserved signaling mechanism. ..
- Lesokhin A, Yu S, Katz J, Baker N. Several levels of EGF receptor signaling during photoreceptor specification in wild-type, Ellipse, and null mutant Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1999;205:129-44 pubmed..The Elp phenotype also depended on the secreted protein argos and was reverted in Elp aos double mutants...
- Freeman M. The spitz gene is required for photoreceptor determination in the Drosophila eye where it interacts with the EGF receptor. Mech Dev. 1994;48:25-33 pubmed..These data suggest that photoreceptors other than R7 use a Ras1 signalling pathway activated by the spitz/Egfr interaction, in a manner analogous to the Ras1 pathway activated by boss/sevenless in photoreceptor R7. ..
- Sawamoto K, Taguchi A, Hirota Y, Yamada C, Jin M, Okano H. Argos induces programmed cell death in the developing Drosophila eye by inhibition of the Ras pathway. Cell Death Differ. 1998;5:262-70 pubmed..Overexpression of Argos, a diffusible inhibitor of the EGF receptor and Ras signaling, caused excessive cell death in developing eyes at ..
- Chang T, Shy D, Hartenstein V. Antagonistic relationship between Dpp and EGFR signaling in Drosophila head patterning. Dev Biol. 2003;263:103-13 pubmed..Ectopic expression of activated EGFR inhibits the Dpp target race and thereby causes cyclopia and defective head involution. We discuss possible mechanisms of Dpp and EGFR interaction in the embryo. ..
- Zartman J, Kanodia J, Cheung L, Shvartsman S. Feedback control of the EGFR signaling gradient: superposition of domain-splitting events in Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2009;136:2903-11 pubmed publisher..Later in oogenesis, the gradient of EGFR activation is split into two smaller domains in a process that depends on Argos, a secreted antagonist of EGFR signaling...
- del Alamo D, Mlodzik M. Self-modulation of Notch signaling during ommatidial development via the Roughened eye transcriptional repressor. Development. 2008;135:2895-904 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that Roe acts as a transcriptional repressor in a negative-feedback loop of the N pathway. ..
- Renaud O, Simpson P. scabrous modifies epithelial cell adhesion and extends the range of lateral signalling during development of the spaced bristle pattern in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2001;240:361-76 pubmed..We also show that the sensory organ precursors extend numerous fine cytoplasmic extensions bearing Dl molecules, and speculate on a possible role for these structures during signalling. ..