Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Abd-B
Description: Abdominal B
Alias: ABD-B, ABDB, Abd B, Abd-b, Abd0B, AbdB, AbdB(CA)[], AbdB-I, AbdB-II, AbdBm, Abdb, AdbB, BX-C, CG10291, CG11648, DROABDB, DmAbdB, Dmel\CG11648, Droabdb, FAB, Fab-6, Fab-7, Fab-8, Fab7, IAB 5, IAB5, IAB7, IAB8, Iab-7, MCP, Mcp, Sab, Tab, Uab-5[Sab], abd-B, abdB, bex, iab, iab-5, iab-6, iab-7, iab-8, iab5, iab6, iab7, iab8, iab8.9, iab9, l(3)89Ed, pH189, tuh-3, twig, abdominal B, Abd-B-PA, Abd-B-PB, Abd-B-PC, Abd-B-PD, Abd-B-PE, Abd-B-PF, Abd-B-PG, Abd-B-PH, Abd-B-PI, Abd-B-PJ, Abdominal-B, AbdominalB, CG11648-PA, CG11648-PB, CG11648-PC, CG11648-PD, CG11648-PE, CG11648-PF, CG11648-PG, CG11648-PH, CG11648-PI, CG11648-PJ, abdominal-A, corset, infra-abdominal 5, infra-abdominal 6, infra-abdominal 7, infra-abdominal 8, infra-abdominal 9, infraabdominal, infraabdominal-8.9, male chauvinist pigmentation, microcephalus, miscadastral pigmentation, superabdominal, transabdominal
Species: fruit fly
Publications108 found, 100 shown here
- Mihaly J, Hogga I, Gausz J, Gyurkovics H, Karch F. In situ dissection of the Fab-7 region of the bithorax complex into a chromatin domain boundary and a Polycomb-response element. Development. 1997;124:1809-20 pubmed..b>Fab-7 is a regulatory element that lies between iab-6 and iab-7 (the PS11- and PS12-specific cis-regulatory domains, ..
- Sprecher S, Muller M, Kammermeier L, Miller D, Kaufman T, Reichert H, et al. Hox gene cross-regulatory interactions in the embryonic brain of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2004;121:527-36 pubmed
- Mollaaghababa R, Sipos L, Tiong S, Papoulas O, Armstrong J, Tamkun J, et al. Mutations in Drosophila heat shock cognate 4 are enhancers of Polycomb. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:3958-63 pubmed..HSC4 might be needed for the proper folding of a component of the Polycomb repression complex, or it may be a functional member of that complex...
- Gruzdeva N, Kyrchanova O, Parshikov A, Kullyev A, Georgiev P. The Mcp element from the bithorax complex contains an insulator that is capable of pairwise interactions and can facilitate enhancer-promoter communication. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3682-9 pubmed..Boundary elements such as Mcp, Fab-7, and Fab-8 and adjacent silencers flank the iab domains and restrict the activity of the iab enhancers...
- Akbari O, Bousum A, Bae E, Drewell R. Unraveling cis-regulatory mechanisms at the abdominal-A and Abdominal-B genes in the Drosophila bithorax complex. Dev Biol. 2006;293:294-304 pubmed..The hope is that these studies of gene regulation at the BX-C in the humble fruit fly will provide clues as to how vast intergenic regions contribute to the incredible complexity of gene regulation in other species, including humans. ..
- Lewis E. Regulation of the genes of the bithorax complex in Drosophila. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1985;50:155-64 pubmed..Three rules governing cis-regulation of BX-C are applicable over a region extending from Ubx to at least iab-7, a distance of nearly 300 kb on the DNA map: The colinearity (COL) rule: genes are colinear with respect to map ..
- de Navas L, Foronda D, Suzanne M, Sánchez Herrero E. A simple and efficient method to identify replacements of P-lacZ by P-Gal4 lines allows obtaining Gal4 insertions in the bithorax complex of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2006;123:860-7 pubmed..Our experiments confirm that the abdominal-A gene can replace Ultrabithorax in haltere development but that it cannot substitute for Abdominal-B in the formation of the genitalia. ..
- Pindyurin A, Moorman C, de Wit E, Belyakin S, Belyaeva E, Christophides G, et al. SUUR joins separate subsets of PcG, HP1 and B-type lamin targets in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2344-51 pubmed..Finally, SUUR target genes are repressed in Drosophila embryos and gradually activated later in development. Together these results suggest that SUUR is a ubiquitous marker of heterochromatin in different cell types. ..
- Strutt H, Paro R. The polycomb group protein complex of Drosophila melanogaster has different compositions at different target genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:6773-83 pubmed..Polyhomeotic and Posterior Sex Combs may participate in a more general transcriptional mechanism that causes modulated gene repression, whereas the inclusion of Polycomb protein in the complex at PREs leads to stable silencing. ..
- The iab-4 noncoding RNA from the Drosophila bithorax complex is the substrate for a microRNA (miRNA). Gene conversion was used to delete the hairpin precursor of this miRNA; flies homozygous for this deletion are sterile...
- Iampietro C, Cléard F, Gyurkovics H, Maeda R, Karch F. Boundary swapping in the Drosophila Bithorax complex. Development. 2008;135:3983-7 pubmed publisher..Using gene conversion, we exchanged the Fab-7 and Fab-8 boundaries within the BX-C...
- Oktaba K, Gutierrez L, Gagneur J, Girardot C, Sengupta A, Furlong E, et al. Dynamic regulation by polycomb group protein complexes controls pattern formation and the cell cycle in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;15:877-89 pubmed publisher..Analysis of cell cycle regulators indicates that the PcG system also dynamically modulates the expression levels of certain genes, providing a possible explanation for the tumor phenotype of PcG mutants. ..
- McCall K, O Connor M, Bender W. Enhancer traps in the Drosophila bithorax complex mark parasegmental domains. Genetics. 1994;138:387-99 pubmed..Thus, the enhancer traps reveal parasegmental domains that are maintained by Polycomb-mediated repression. Such domains may be realized by parasegmental differences in chromatin structure. ..
- Henderson K, Isaac D, Andrew D. Cell fate specification in the Drosophila salivary gland: the integration of homeotic gene function with the DPP signaling cascade. Dev Biol. 1999;205:10-21 pubmed..These results reveal how anterior-posterior and dorsal-ventral patterning information is integrated at the level of organ-specific gene expression. ..
- Decoville M, Giacomello E, Leng M, Locker D. DSP1, an HMG-like protein, is involved in the regulation of homeotic genes. Genetics. 2001;157:237-44 pubmed..Comparison of the chromatin structure at the Mcp locus in wild-type and dsp1 mutant embryos reveals that the 300-bp DNase I hypersensitive region is absent in a ..
- Merabet S, Hombria J, Hu N, Pradel J, Graba Y. Hox-controlled reorganisation of intrasegmental patterning cues underlies Drosophila posterior spiracle organogenesis. Development. 2005;132:3093-102 pubmed..control of Drosophila posterior spiracle morphogenesis, a segment-specific structure that forms under Abdominal-B (AbdB) Hox control in the eighth abdominal segment (A8)...
- Christen B, Bienz M. Imaginal disc silencers from Ultrabithorax: evidence for Polycomb response elements. Mech Dev. 1994;48:255-66 pubmed..Since silencing by BXD also requires Pc function, this suggests that BXD contains target sites for Pc or for Pc-like proteins. We propose that stable silencing of Ubx is achieved through cooperation between hb and Pc target sites. ..
- Ekker S, Jackson D, von Kessler D, Sun B, Young K, Beachy P. The degree of variation in DNA sequence recognition among four Drosophila homeotic proteins. EMBO J. 1994;13:3551-60 pubmed..This and other patterns of residue conservation suggest that differential DNA sequence recognition may play a role in HOM protein function in a wide range of organisms. ..
- Ronshaugen M, Levine M. Visualization of trans-homolog enhancer-promoter interactions at the Abd-B Hox locus in the Drosophila embryo. Dev Cell. 2004;7:925-32 pubmed..Such trans-homolog interactions might be a common mechanism of gene regulation in higher metazoans. ..
- Karlsson D, Baumgardt M, Thor S. Segment-specific neuronal subtype specification by the integration of anteroposterior and temporal cues. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000368 pubmed publisher..This study reveals a surprisingly restricted, yet multifaceted, function of both anteroposterior and temporal cues with respect to lineage control and cell fate specification...
- Minami R, Wakabayashi M, Sugimori S, Taniguchi K, Kokuryo A, Imano T, et al. The homeodomain protein defective proventriculus is essential for male accessory gland development to enhance fecundity in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32302 pubmed publisher..We provide the first evidence that secondary cells are crucial for male fecundity, and also that Dve activity is required for survival of the secondary cells. These findings provide new insights into a mechanism of fertility/fecundity...
- Casares F, Bender W, Merriam J, Sánchez Herrero E. Interactions of Drosophila Ultrabithorax regulatory regions with native and foreign promoters. Genetics. 1997;145:123-37 pubmed..The deletion derivatives also stimulate transvection, a pairing-dependent interaction with the Ubx promoter on the homologous chromosome. ..
- Kopp A, Duncan I, Godt D, Carroll S. Genetic control and evolution of sexually dimorphic characters in Drosophila. Nature. 2000;408:553-9 pubmed..Pigmentation patterns specified by bab affect mating preferences, suggesting that sexual selection has contributed to the evolution of bab regulation. ..
- Busturia A, Morata G. Ectopic expression of homeotic genes caused by the elimination of the Polycomb gene in Drosophila imaginal epidermis. Development. 1988;104:713-20 pubmed..We have established a hierarchical order among these genes: Antp less than Scr less than Ubx less than abd-A less than Abd-B. In addition, we show that the engrailed gene is ectopically active in Pc- imaginal cells. ..
- Boyle M, DiNardo S. Specification, migration and assembly of the somatic cells of the Drosophila gonad. Development. 1995;121:1815-25 pubmed..The functions of the homeotic genes abdominal A and Abdominal B are required for the development of gonadal precursors, however, here we provide evidence that ..
- Andrew D, Horner M, Petitt M, Smolik S, Scott M. Setting limits on homeotic gene function: restraint of Sex combs reduced activity by teashirt and other homeotic genes. EMBO J. 1994;13:1132-44 pubmed..trunk by the homeotic gene teashirt (tsh) and in the last abdominal segment by the third BX-C gene, Abdominal-B (AbdB)...
- Fedorova E, Sadoni N, Dahlsveen I, Koch J, Kremmer E, Eick D, et al. The nuclear organization of Polycomb/Trithorax group response elements in larval tissues of Drosophila melanogaster. Chromosome Res. 2008;16:649-73 pubmed publisherWe analysed the nuclear organization of the Polycomb/Trithorax group response element (PRE/TRE) Fab-7 and of other PRE/TREs in larval tissues of D. melanogaster...
- van Dijk M, Murre C. extradenticle raises the DNA binding specificity of homeotic selector gene products. Cell. 1994;78:617-24 pubmed
- Chopra V, Cande J, Hong J, Levine M. Stalled Hox promoters as chromosomal boundaries. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1505-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, promoter-proximal stalling factors might help promote insulator-promoter interactions. We propose that stalled promoters help organize gene complexes within chromosomal loop domains. ..
- Hopmann R, Duncan D, Duncan I. Transvection in the iab-5,6,7 region of the bithorax complex of Drosophila: homology independent interactions in trans. Genetics. 1995;139:815-33 pubmed..Here we focus on iab-5, iab-6 and iab-7, regulatory regions of Abd-B that control expression in the fifth, sixth and seventh abdominal ..
- Casares F, Calleja M, Sánchez Herrero E. Functional similarity in appendage specification by the Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A Drosophila HOX genes. EMBO J. 1996;15:3934-42 pubmed..Insects may have originally used the HOX genes primarily to specify this main body axis. By contrast, the homeotic requirement to form appendages is, in some cases, non-specific. ..
- Oliver D, Sheehan B, South H, Akbari O, Pai C. The chromosomal association/dissociation of the chromatin insulator protein Cp190 of Drosophila melanogaster is mediated by the BTB/POZ domain and two acidic regions. BMC Cell Biol. 2010;11:101 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a mechanism through which activities of an insulator can be modulated by internal and external cues. ..
- Tiong S, Bone L, Whittle J. Recessive lethal mutations within the bithorax-complex in Drosophila. Mol Gen Genet. 1985;200:335-42 pubmed..Homozygotes for each of only three groups of lethals, Ubx, abdA and AbdB, produce homoeotic segmental transformations in embryos...
- Hagstrom K, Muller M, Schedl P. A Polycomb and GAGA dependent silencer adjoins the Fab-7 boundary in the Drosophila bithorax complex. Genetics. 1997;146:1365-80 pubmed..In this article we demonstrate that the Fab-7' deletion also removes a silencer element, the iab-7 PRE, which maps to a different DNA segment and plays a different role in regulating parasegment-specific ..
- Azpiazu N, Morata G. Functional and regulatory interactions between Hox and extradenticle genes. Genes Dev. 1998;12:261-73 pubmed..As the Hoxd10 gene has the same properties as Drosophila BX-C genes, we suggest that the control mechanism of subcellular distribution of Exd found in Drosophila probably operates in other organisms as well. ..
- Beuchle D, Struhl G, Muller J. Polycomb group proteins and heritable silencing of Drosophila Hox genes. Development. 2001;128:993-1004 pubmed..Some PcG proteins may be required to define and propagate this mark; others may function to repress the transcription of Hox genes that bear the mark. ..
- Lovato T, Nguyen T, Molina M, Cripps R. The Hox gene abdominal-A specifies heart cell fate in the Drosophila dorsal vessel. Development. 2002;129:5019-27 pubmed..These findings for the first time demonstrate a specific involvement for Hox genes in patterning the muscular circulatory system, and suggest a mechanism of broad relevance for animal heart patterning. ..
- Bantignies F, Grimaud C, Lavrov S, Gabut M, Cavalli G. Inheritance of Polycomb-dependent chromosomal interactions in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2406-20 pubmed..b>Fab-7 is a well-defined cellular memory module involved in regulation of the homeotic gene Abdominal-B (Abd-B)...
- Sánchez Herrero E, Vernos I, Marco R, Morata G. Genetic organization of Drosophila bithorax complex. Nature. 1985;313:108-13 pubmed..Each of these genes plays its principal part in a particular anatomical domain of the body, where it is specifically required to determine the correct segmental pattern. ..
- Yip M, Lamka M, Lipshitz H. Control of germ-band retraction in Drosophila by the zinc-finger protein HINDSIGHT. Development. 1997;124:2129-41 pubmed..Second, hindsight might function both to maintain the amnioserosa and to regulate chemical signaling from the amnioserosa to the epidermal ectoderm, thus coordinating the cell shape changes and movements that drive germ-band retraction...
- Moshkovich N, Nisha P, Boyle P, Thompson B, Dale R, Lei E. RNAi-independent role for Argonaute2 in CTCF/CP190 chromatin insulator function. Genes Dev. 2011;25:1686-701 pubmed publisher..Moreover, AGO2, but not its catalytic activity or Dicer-2, is required for CTCF/CP190-dependent Fab-8 insulator function...
- Kosman D, Mizutani C, Lemons D, Cox W, McGinnis W, Bier E. Multiplex detection of RNA expression in Drosophila embryos. Science. 2004;305:846 pubmed
- Wang L, Brown J, Cao R, Zhang Y, Kassis J, Jones R. Hierarchical recruitment of polycomb group silencing complexes. Mol Cell. 2004;14:637-46 pubmed
- Rogulja Ortmann A, Technau G. Multiple roles for Hox genes in segment-specific shaping of CNS lineages. Fly (Austin). 2008;2:316-9 pubmed
- Schubert F, Nieselt Struwe K, Gruss P. The Antennapedia-type homeobox genes have evolved from three precursors separated early in metazoan evolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:143-7 pubmed..These genes later independently gave rise to the 13 groups of paralogous genes in vertebrates and to the 11 Antennapedia-type genes in the Drosophila complexes. ..
- Busturia A, Wightman C, Sakonju S. A silencer is required for maintenance of transcriptional repression throughout Drosophila development. Development. 1997;124:4343-50 pubmed..Rather, they suggest that silencers play an active role in the maintenance of the position-specific repression throughout development. ..
- Barges S, Mihaly J, Galloni M, Hagstrom K, Muller M, Shanower G, et al. The Fab-8 boundary defines the distal limit of the bithorax complex iab-7 domain and insulates iab-7 from initiation elements and a PRE in the adjacent iab-8 domain. Development. 2000;127:779-90 pubmed..The studies reported here demonstrate that the (centromere) distal end of iab-7 domain is delimited by the Fab-8 boundary...
- Le Bras S, Van Doren M. Development of the male germline stem cell niche in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;294:92-103 pubmed..This work establishes the Drosophila male GSC niche as a model for understanding the mechanisms controlling niche formation and initial stem cell recruitment, as well as the development of sexual dimorphism in the gonad. ..
- Mihaly J, Barges S, Sipos L, Maeda R, Cléard F, Hogga I, et al. Dissecting the regulatory landscape of the Abd-B gene of the bithorax complex. Development. 2006;133:2983-93 pubmed..Our results highlight four key features of the iab-5, iab-6 and iab-7 cis-regulatory region of Abd-B...
- Celniker S, Drewell R. Chromatin looping mediates boundary element promoter interactions. Bioessays. 2007;29:7-10 pubmed..Specifically, they studied the function of a boundary element within the cis-regulatory region of the Abdominal-B (Abd-B) gene of Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Lin Q, Chen Q, Lin L, Smith S, Zhou J. Promoter targeting sequence mediates enhancer interference in the Drosophila embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3237-42 pubmed..We hypothesize that enhancer interference limits the interaction of the Abdominal-B promoter to the enhancer(s) from only one regulatory domain in a specific abdominal segment. ..
- Holohan E, Kwong C, Adryan B, Bartkuhn M, Herold M, Renkawitz R, et al. CTCF genomic binding sites in Drosophila and the organisation of the bithorax complex. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e112 pubmed..To date only one endogenous binding location for CTCF has been identified in the Drosophila genome, the Fab-8 insulator in the Abdominal-B locus in the Bithorax complex (BX-C)...
- Duncan I. Polycomblike: a gene that appears to be required for the normal expression of the bithorax and antennapedia gene complexes of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1982;102:49-70 pubmed
- Kuziora M. Abdominal-B protein isoforms exhibit distinct cuticular transformations and regulatory activities when ectopically expressed in Drosophila embryos. Mech Dev. 1993;42:125-37 pubmed
- Malicki J, Bogarad L, Martin M, Ruddle F, McGinnis W. Functional analysis of the mouse homeobox gene HoxB9 in Drosophila development. Mech Dev. 1993;42:139-50 pubmed..2), suggesting that HoxB9 specifies a positional identity that is intermediate between Antennapedia and Abdominal-B. ..
- Bender W, Fitzgerald D. Transcription activates repressed domains in the Drosophila bithorax complex. Development. 2002;129:4923-30 pubmed..Blocking transcription from the P element promoter reverts the mutant phenotype. Previously identified Ultraabdominal alleles, not associated with P elements, also show abnormal transcription of the same region. ..
- Duncan I. The bithorax complex. Annu Rev Genet. 1987;21:285-319 pubmed
- Karch F, Weiffenbach B, Peifer M, Bender W, Duncan I, Celniker S, et al. The abdominal region of the bithorax complex. Cell. 1985;43:81-96 pubmed..Complementation tests suggest interactions between widely spaced DNA regions; indeed, the right half cannot be split anywhere without some loss of function. ..
- McCall K, Bender W. Probes of chromatin accessibility in the Drosophila bithorax complex respond differently to Polycomb-mediated repression. EMBO J. 1996;15:569-80 pubmed..In contrast, T7 RNA polymerase can transcribe from its target promoter in all segments of the embryo. Thus, Pc-mediated repression blocks activated polymerase II transcription, but does not simply exclude all proteins. ..
- Moshkin Y, Alekseyenko A, Semeshin V, Spierer A, Spierer P, Makarevich G, et al. The bithorax complex of Drosophila melanogaster: Underreplication and morphology in polytene chromosomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:570-4 pubmed..We speculate that the wild-type Su(UR)ES protein hampers DNA replication of silenced domains and leads to their underreplication in salivary gland polytene chromosomes. ..
- Rank G, Prestel M, Paro R. Transcription through intergenic chromosomal memory elements of the Drosophila bithorax complex correlates with an epigenetic switch. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8026-34 pubmed..With previously published data for the Fab7 cellular memory module, we confirmed the cellular memory function of Polycomb group response elements...
- Williams T, Selegue J, Werner T, Gompel N, Kopp A, Carroll S. The regulation and evolution of a genetic switch controlling sexually dimorphic traits in Drosophila. Cell. 2008;134:610-23 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal how new dimorphic characters can emerge from genetic networks regulating pre-existing dimorphic traits. ..
- Mihaly J, Hogga I, Barges S, Galloni M, Mishra R, Hagstrom K, et al. Chromatin domain boundaries in the Bithorax complex. Cell Mol Life Sci. 1998;54:60-70 pubmed..On the other hand, domain boundaries of the Bithorax complex (BX-C) like Fab-7 and Mcp have been identified through mutational analysis...
- Orlando V, Jane E, Chinwalla V, Harte P, Paro R. Binding of trithorax and Polycomb proteins to the bithorax complex: dynamic changes during early Drosophila embryogenesis. EMBO J. 1998;17:5141-50 pubmed..Later, at germ band extension, the time of derepression in Polycomb mutants, PC binding is also detected outside core PREs and additionally binds to the fragments containing promoters. ..
- Estrada B, Casares F, Busturia A, Sánchez Herrero E. Genetic and molecular characterization of a novel iab-8 regulatory domain in the Abdominal-B gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 2002;129:5195-204 pubmed..The Abdominal-B Hox gene of the bithorax complex of Drosophila is regulated by several infraabdominal domains, which determine Abdominal-B expression in abdominal segments A5 to A9 (parasegments 10 to 14)...
- Drewell R, Bae E, Burr J, Lewis E. Transcription defines the embryonic domains of cis-regulatory activity at the Drosophila bithorax complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:16853-8 pubmedThe extensive infraabdominal (iab) region contains a number of cis-regulatory elements, including enhancers, silencers, and insulators responsible for directing the developmental expression of the abdominal-A and Abdominal-B homeotic ..
- Pérez Lluch S, Cuartero S, Azorín F, Espinàs M. Characterization of new regulatory elements within the Drosophila bithorax complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:6926-33 pubmed publisher..Abd-B) gene expression depends on a modular cis-regulatory region divided into discrete functional domains (iab) that control the expression of the gene in a particular segment of the fly...
- Casares F, Sánchez Herrero E. Regulation of the infraabdominal regions of the bithorax complex of Drosophila by gap genes. Development. 1995;121:1855-66 pubmed..of the abdominal-A and Abdominal-B genes of the bithorax complex of Drosophila is controlled by cis-regulatory infraabdominal regions...
- Breiling A, Turner B, Bianchi M, Orlando V. General transcription factors bind promoters repressed by Polycomb group proteins. Nature. 2001;412:651-5 pubmed..We further show that PcG proteins interact in vitro with GTFs. We suggest that PcG complexes maintain silencing by inhibiting GTF-mediated activation of transcription. ..
- Fritsch C, Beuchle D, Muller J. Molecular and genetic analysis of the Polycomb group gene Sex combs extra/Ring in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2003;120:949-54 pubmed..Formation of stable PRC1 requires Ring, the product of a gene for which no mutations have been described. Here, we show that Sex combs extra (Sce) encodes Ring and that Sce/Ring function is critically required for PcG silencing. ..
- Blastyak A, Mishra R, Karch F, Gyurkovics H. Efficient and specific targeting of Polycomb group proteins requires cooperative interaction between Grainyhead and Pleiohomeotic. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:1434-44 pubmed
- Sánchez Higueras C, Sotillos S, Castelli Gair Hombría J. Common origin of insect trachea and endocrine organs from a segmentally repeated precursor. Curr Biol. 2014;24:76-81 pubmed publisher..We propose that the arthropod ectodermal endocrine glands and respiratory organs arose through an extreme process of divergent evolution from a metameric repeated structure. ..
- Strutt H, Cavalli G, Paro R. Co-localization of Polycomb protein and GAGA factor on regulatory elements responsible for the maintenance of homeotic gene expression. EMBO J. 1997;16:3621-32 pubmed..We propose that GAGA factor binds constitutively to regulatory elements in the bithorax complex, which function both as PREs and as trithorax group response elements. ..
- Maeda R, Karch F. The ABC of the BX-C: the bithorax complex explained. Development. 2006;133:1413-22 pubmed..This primer attempts to distill and explain our current knowledge about this classic, complex locus. ..
- Celniker S, Lewis E. Transabdominal, a dominant mutant of the Bithorax Complex, produces a sexually dimorphic segmental transformation in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1987;1:111-23 pubmedb>Transabdominal (Tab), a dominant mutation in the Bithorax Complex (BX-C) of Drosophila, creates a sexually dimorphic pattern of segmental transformation that has complete penetrance and expressivity...
- Canudas S, Perez S, Fanti L, Pimpinelli S, Singh N, Hanes S, et al. dSAP18 and dHDAC1 contribute to the functional regulation of the Drosophila Fab-7 element. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:4857-64 pubmed..In A6, expression of Abd-B is driven by the iab-6 enhancer, which is insulated from iab-7 by the Fab-7 element...
- Herz H, Madden L, Chen Z, Bolduc C, Buff E, Gupta R, et al. The H3K27me3 demethylase dUTX is a suppressor of Notch- and Rb-dependent tumors in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:2485-97 pubmed publisher..In summary, these data suggest that dUTX is a suppressor of Notch- and Rbf-dependent tumors in Drosophila melanogaster and may provide a model for UTX-dependent tumorigenesis in humans. ..
- Hendrickson J, Sakonju S. Cis and trans interactions between the iab regulatory regions and abdominal-A and abdominal-B in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;139:835-48 pubmedThe infra-abdominal (iab) elements in the bithorax complex of Drosophila melanogaster regulate the transcription of the homeotic genes abdominal-A (abd-A) and Abdominal-B (Abd-B) in cis...
- Nelson W. Tube morphogenesis: closure, but many openings remain. Trends Cell Biol. 2003;13:615-21 pubmed..This review provides a summary of these pathways based upon articles published in the Tube Morphogenesis Series in Trends in Cell Biology. ..
- Coiffier D, Charroux B, Kerridge S. Common functions of central and posterior Hox genes for the repression of head in the trunk of Drosophila. Development. 2008;135:291-300 pubmed..We propose that an evolutionary early function of Hox genes was to modify primitive head morphology with novel functions specialising the trunk appearing later on. ..
- Hagstrom K, Muller M, Schedl P. Fab-7 functions as a chromatin domain boundary to ensure proper segment specification by the Drosophila bithorax complex. Genes Dev. 1996;10:3202-15 pubmed..Genetic analysis indicates that removal of the Fab-7 element results in the fusion of the iab-6 (PS11) and iab-7 (PS12) cis-regulatory domains into a single regulatory domain that inappropriately regulates ..
- Moreno E, Morata G. Caudal is the Hox gene that specifies the most posterior Drosophile segment. Nature. 1999;400:873-7 pubmed..In the absence of the Hh pathway, cad induces internal analia development, probably by activating the brachyenteron and even-skipped genes. ..
- Muller M, Hagstrom K, Gyurkovics H, Pirrotta V, Schedl P. The mcp element from the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex mediates long-distance regulatory interactions. Genetics. 1999;153:1333-56 pubmedIn the studies reported here, we have examined the properties of the Mcp element from the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex (BX-C)...
- Birve A, Sengupta A, Beuchle D, Larsson J, Kennison J, Rasmuson Lestander A -, et al. Su(z)12, a novel Drosophila Polycomb group gene that is conserved in vertebrates and plants. Development. 2001;128:3371-9 pubmed..Notably, EMF2 is a repressor of floral homeotic genes. These results suggest that at least some of the regulatory machinery that controls homeotic gene expression is conserved between animals and plants. ..
- Percival Smith A, Teft W, Barta J. Tarsus determination in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2005;48:712-21 pubmed..Therefore, the possibility exists that normal tarsus determination is HOX independent. ..
- Sánchez Herrero E, Crosby M. The Abdominal-B gene of Drosophila melanogaster: overlapping transcripts exhibit two different spatial distributions. EMBO J. 1988;7:2163-73 pubmed..These two different patterns of expression correspond to the anatomical domains defined by two classes of mutations in Abd-B. These results help explain the complex genetic interactions and phenotypes of mutations within this gene. ..
- Scheuermann J, de Ayala Alonso A, Oktaba K, Ly Hartig N, McGinty R, Fraterman S, et al. Histone H2A deubiquitinase activity of the Polycomb repressive complex PR-DUB. Nature. 2010;465:243-7 pubmed publisher..Polycomb gene silencing may thus entail a dynamic balance between H2A ubiquitination by PRC1 and dRAF, and H2A deubiquitination by PR-DUB. ..
- Mann R, Chan S. Extra specificity from extradenticle: the partnership between HOX and PBX/EXD homeodomain proteins. Trends Genet. 1996;12:258-62 pubmed
- Ryoo H, Mann R. The control of trunk Hox specificity and activity by Extradenticle. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1704-16 pubmed..These results suggest that Exd is a specificity cofactor for the trunk Hox genes, and that the control of Exd subcellular localization is a mechanism to regulate Hox activity during development. ..
- Lupo R, Breiling A, Bianchi M, Orlando V. Drosophila chromosome condensation proteins Topoisomerase II and Barren colocalize with Polycomb and maintain Fab-7 PRE silencing. Mol Cell. 2001;7:127-36 pubmed..find that the PcG protein Polyhomeotic (PH) interacts physically with TOPOII and BARR and that BARR is required for Fab-7-regulated homeotic gene expression...
- Lin Q, Wu D, Zhou J. The promoter targeting sequence facilitates and restricts a distant enhancer to a single promoter in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2003;130:519-26 pubmed..We propose that the PTS establishes a stable chromatin structure between an enhancer and a promoter, which facilitates yet restricts an enhancer to a single promoter. ..
- Miguel Aliaga I, Thor S. Segment-specific prevention of pioneer neuron apoptosis by cell-autonomous, postmitotic Hox gene activity. Development. 2004;131:6093-105 pubmed..This segmental specificity is achieved by differential expression of the Hox gene Abdominal B, which in posterior segments prevents pioneer neuron death postmitotically and cell-autonomously by repressing ..
- Martin C, Mayeda C, Davis C, Ericsson C, Knafels J, Mathog D, et al. Complete sequence of the bithorax complex of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:8398-402 pubmed..previously known ABD-A protein and a putative glucose transporter-like gene (1521 bp) located at or near the bithoraxoid (bxd), infra-abdominal-2 (iab-2) boundary on the opposite strand relative to that of the homeobox-containing genes.