Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: abd-A
Description: abdominal A
Alias: ABD-A, Abd-A, AbdA, Abda, BX-C, CG10325, Cbxd, DmabdA, Dmabda, Dmel\CG10325, Fab-3, Fab-4, Hab, abd A, abd-a, abdA, abd_a, abda, iab, iab-2, iab-3, iab-4, iab-5, iab2, iab3, iab4, l(3)89Ec, abdominal A, Abdominal-A, CG10325-PA, CG10325-PB, CG10325-PC, CG10325-PD, abd-A-PA, abd-A-PB, abd-A-PC, abd-A-PD, abdominalA, contrabithoraxoid, hyperabdominal, infra-abdominal 2, infra-abdominal 3, infra-abdominal 4, infraabdominal, ultraabdominal
Species: fruit fly
Publications102 found, 100 shown here
- Merabet S, Kambris Z, Capovilla M, Bérenger H, Pradel J, Graba Y. The hexapeptide and linker regions of the AbdA Hox protein regulate its activating and repressive functions. Dev Cell. 2003;4:761-8 pubmed..Here we report that mutation of the AbdA HX motif does not alter its binding site selection but does modify its transregulatory properties in a gene-..
- Tie F, Banerjee R, Stratton C, Prasad Sinha J, Stepanik V, Zlobin A, et al. CBP-mediated acetylation of histone H3 lysine 27 antagonizes Drosophila Polycomb silencing. Development. 2009;136:3131-41 pubmed publisher..We propose that TRX-dependent acetylation of H3K27 by CBP prevents H3K27me3 at Polycomb target genes and constitutes a key part of the molecular mechanism by which TRX antagonizes or prevents Polycomb silencing. ..
- Schwartz Y, Kahn T, Stenberg P, Ohno K, Bourgon R, Pirrotta V. Alternative epigenetic chromatin states of polycomb target genes. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000805 pubmed publisher..These results have important implications for Polycomb gene regulation, the "bivalent" chromatin state of embryonic stem cells, and gene expression in development. ..
- Saadaoui M, Merabet S, Litim Mecheri I, Arbeille E, Sambrani N, Damen W, et al. Selection of distinct Hox-Extradenticle interaction modes fine-tunes Hox protein activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2276-81 pubmed publisher..These findings identify Hox-PBC interaction as a template for subtle regulation of Hox protein activity that may have played a major role in the diversification of Hox protein function in development and evolution. ..
- Wang W, Tindell N, Yan S, Yoder J. Homeotic functions of the Teashirt transcription factor during adult Drosophila development. Biol Open. 2013;2:18-29 pubmed publisher..Additionally we show that, as during embryogenesis, the tsh paralog tiptop (tio) plays a partially redundant role in this homeotic activity. ..
- Sánchez Herrero E. Control of the expression of the bithorax complex genes abdominal-A and abdominal-B by cis-regulatory regions in Drosophila embryos. Development. 1991;111:437-49 pubmed..Six different classes of infraabdominal (iab) mutations within the BX-C transform a subset of the parasegments affected by the lack of these two genes...
- Peifer M, Wieschaus E. Mutations in the Drosophila gene extradenticle affect the way specific homeo domain proteins regulate segmental identity. Genes Dev. 1990;4:1209-23 pubmed..Complete removal of extradenticle, maternally and zygotically, leads to specific alterations in segmentation, many of which result from failure to maintain the expression of the homeo domain protein engrailed. ..
- Affolter M, Nellen D, Nussbaumer U, Basler K. Multiple requirements for the receptor serine/threonine kinase thick veins reveal novel functions of TGF beta homologs during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1994;120:3105-17 pubmed..The requirements for tkv in dorsal closure, visceral mesoderm and trachea development assign novel functions to dpp or a closely related member of the TGF beta superfamily. ..
- Ahn J, Yoo S, Park H, Jung K, Kim S, Jeon S. Drosophila castor is regulated negatively by the Ubx and abdA genes, but positively by the AbdB gene. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1251-8 pubmed publisher..In the loss-of-function mutants of Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and abdominal-A (abdA), cas transcripts were ectopically expressed in abdominal segments at late embryonic stage...
- Hudry B, Viala S, Graba Y, Merabet S. Visualization of protein interactions in living Drosophila embryos by the bimolecular fluorescence complementation assay. BMC Biol. 2011;9:5 pubmed publisher..Our results establish the general suitability of BiFC for revealing and studying protein interactions in their physiological context during the rapid course of Drosophila embryonic development. ..
- Mohan M, Bartkuhn M, Herold M, Philippen A, Heinl N, Bardenhagen I, et al. The Drosophila insulator proteins CTCF and CP190 link enhancer blocking to body patterning. EMBO J. 2007;26:4203-14 pubmed..A short pulse of dCTCF expression during larval development rescues the dCTCF loss of function phenotype. Overall, we demonstrate the importance of dCTCF in fly development and in the regulation of abdominal segmentation. ..
- Enriquez J, Boukhatmi H, Dubois L, Philippakis A, Bulyk M, Michelson A, et al. Multi-step control of muscle diversity by Hox proteins in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2010;137:457-66 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Hox proteins both regulate and contribute to the combinatorial code of transcription factors that specify muscle identity and act at several steps during the muscle-specification process to generate muscle diversity...
- Sánchez Herrero E, Vernos I, Marco R, Morata G. Genetic organization of Drosophila bithorax complex. Nature. 1985;313:108-13 pubmed..Each of these genes plays its principal part in a particular anatomical domain of the body, where it is specifically required to determine the correct segmental pattern. ..
- Hirth F, Hartmann B, Reichert H. Homeotic gene action in embryonic brain development of Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:1579-89 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that the action of the homeotic genes labial and Deformed are required for neuronal differentiation in the developing brain of Drosophila. ..
- Tyler D, Okamura K, Chung W, Hagen J, Berezikov E, Hannon G, et al. Functionally distinct regulatory RNAs generated by bidirectional transcription and processing of microRNA loci. Genes Dev. 2008;22:26-36 pubmed publisher..We report here that antisense transcription of the Hox miRNA locus mir-iab-4 generates the novel pre-miRNA hairpin mir-iab-8, which is then processed into endogenous mature miRNAs...
- Noro B, Lelli K, Sun L, Mann R. Competition for cofactor-dependent DNA binding underlies Hox phenotypic suppression. Genes Dev. 2011;25:2327-32 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we map a motif in the posterior Hox protein Abdominal-A (AbdA) that is required for phenotypic suppression and facilitates cooperative DNA binding with the Hox cofactor ..
- Bowman S, Deaton A, Domingues H, Wang P, Sadreyev R, Kingston R, et al. H3K27 modifications define segmental regulatory domains in the Drosophila bithorax complex. elife. 2014;3:e02833 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a molecular definition of the homeotic domains, and implicate precisely positioned H3K27 modifications as a central determinant of segment identity. ..
- Christen B, Bienz M. Imaginal disc silencers from Ultrabithorax: evidence for Polycomb response elements. Mech Dev. 1994;48:255-66 pubmed..Since silencing by BXD also requires Pc function, this suggests that BXD contains target sites for Pc or for Pc-like proteins. We propose that stable silencing of Ubx is achieved through cooperation between hb and Pc target sites. ..
- Fitzgerald D, Bender W. Polycomb group repression reduces DNA accessibility. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6585-97 pubmed..In contrast to SIR silencing, however, episomes excised from Polycomb-repressed chromosomal sites do not show an altered superhelix density. ..
- Chen E, Christiansen A, Baker B. Allocation and specification of the genital disc precursor cells in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2005;281:270-85 pubmed
- Duncan I. The bithorax complex. Annu Rev Genet. 1987;21:285-319 pubmed
- Duboule D, Morata G. Colinearity and functional hierarchy among genes of the homeotic complexes. Trends Genet. 1994;10:358-64 pubmed
- Orlando V, Jane E, Chinwalla V, Harte P, Paro R. Binding of trithorax and Polycomb proteins to the bithorax complex: dynamic changes during early Drosophila embryogenesis. EMBO J. 1998;17:5141-50 pubmed..Later, at germ band extension, the time of derepression in Polycomb mutants, PC binding is also detected outside core PREs and additionally binds to the fragments containing promoters. ..
- Percival Smith A, Teft W, Barta J. Tarsus determination in Drosophila melanogaster. Genome. 2005;48:712-21 pubmed..Therefore, the possibility exists that normal tarsus determination is HOX independent. ..
- Mann R, Hogness D. Functional dissection of Ultrabithorax proteins in D. melanogaster. Cell. 1990;60:597-610 pubmed..Implications of these results for how homeotic proteins select particular metameric identities are discussed. ..
- Ryoo H, Mann R. The control of trunk Hox specificity and activity by Extradenticle. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1704-16 pubmed..These results suggest that Exd is a specificity cofactor for the trunk Hox genes, and that the control of Exd subcellular localization is a mechanism to regulate Hox activity during development. ..
- Ronshaugen M, McGinnis N, McGinnis W. Hox protein mutation and macroevolution of the insect body plan. Nature. 2002;415:914-7 pubmed..In Drosophila melanogaster and other insects, the Ultrabithorax (Ubx) and abdominal A (AbdA, also abd-A) Hox proteins are expressed largely in the abdominal segments, where they can suppress ..
- Gebelein B, Mckay D, Mann R. Direct integration of Hox and segmentation gene inputs during Drosophila development. Nature. 2004;431:653-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that these two classes of proteins may collaborate to directly control gene expression at many downstream target genes. ..
- Akbari O, Bousum A, Bae E, Drewell R. Unraveling cis-regulatory mechanisms at the abdominal-A and Abdominal-B genes in the Drosophila bithorax complex. Dev Biol. 2006;293:294-304 pubmed..The hope is that these studies of gene regulation at the BX-C in the humble fruit fly will provide clues as to how vast intergenic regions contribute to the incredible complexity of gene regulation in other species, including humans. ..
- Boyle M, DiNardo S. Specification, migration and assembly of the somatic cells of the Drosophila gonad. Development. 1995;121:1815-25 pubmed..The functions of the homeotic genes abdominal A and Abdominal B are required for the development of gonadal precursors, however, here we provide evidence that ..
- Foronda D, Estrada B, de Navas L, Sánchez Herrero E. Requirement of Abdominal-A and Abdominal-B in the developing genitalia of Drosophila breaks the posterior downregulation rule. Development. 2006;133:117-27 pubmed..The relationship between Abd-B and abd-A in the female genital disc is opposite to that of the embryonic epidermis, and contravenes the rule that posteriorly expressed Hox genes downregulate more anterior ones. ..
- Appel B, Sakonju S. Cell-type-specific mechanisms of transcriptional repression by the homeotic gene products UBX and ABD-A in Drosophila embryos. EMBO J. 1993;12:1099-109 pubmed..The latter mechanism of repression requires only that multiple homeodomain binding sequences be present and is not dependent on any particular binding site. ..
- Azpiazu N, Morata G. Functional and regulatory interactions between Hox and extradenticle genes. Genes Dev. 1998;12:261-73 pubmed..As the Hoxd10 gene has the same properties as Drosophila BX-C genes, we suggest that the control mechanism of subcellular distribution of Exd found in Drosophila probably operates in other organisms as well. ..
- Capovilla M, Botas J. Functional dominance among Hox genes: repression dominates activation in the regulation of Dpp. Development. 1998;125:4949-57 pubmed..Thus, these results suggest that other cases of Hox competition and functional dominance may also be understood in terms of competition for target gene regulation in which repression dominates over activation. ..
- Telford M. Evidence for the derivation of the Drosophila fushi tarazu gene from a Hox gene orthologous to lophotrochozoan Lox5. Curr Biol. 2000;10:349-52 pubmed
- Beisel C, Buness A, Roustan Espinosa I, Koch B, Schmitt S, Haas S, et al. Comparing active and repressed expression states of genes controlled by the Polycomb/Trithorax group proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:16615-20 pubmed..Besides its presumptive function in recruiting PcG complexes to their site of action, our results now uncover that Pho plays an additional role in the repression of already induced genes. ..
- Sánchez Herrero E, Akam M. Spatially ordered transcription of regulatory DNA in the bithorax complex of Drosophila. Development. 1989;107:321-9 pubmed..The correct deployment of these two genes requires an extensive region (the iab region) located between the two protein-coding transcription units...
- Simon J, Chiang A, Bender W, Shimell M, O Connor M. Elements of the Drosophila bithorax complex that mediate repression by Polycomb group products. Dev Biol. 1993;158:131-44 pubmed..We describe germ-line transformation constructs, containing portions of the bxd, iab-2, or iab-3 regulatory regions of the bithorax complex (BX-C), that are controlled by Pc group products in embryos...
- Grieder N, Marty T, Ryoo H, Mann R, Affolter M. Synergistic activation of a Drosophila enhancer by HOM/EXD and DPP signaling. EMBO J. 1997;16:7402-10 pubmed..Our results illustrate how a tissue-specific response to DPP can be generated through synergistic effects on an enhancer carrying both DPP- and HOX-responsive sequences. ..
- Bender W, Hudson A. P element homing to the Drosophila bithorax complex. Development. 2000;127:3981-92 pubmed..The mapping of segmental domains has now been revised, with enlargement of the abx/bx, bxd/pbx, and the iab-3 domains...
- Kopp A, Duncan I, Godt D, Carroll S. Genetic control and evolution of sexually dimorphic characters in Drosophila. Nature. 2000;408:553-9 pubmed..Pigmentation patterns specified by bab affect mating preferences, suggesting that sexual selection has contributed to the evolution of bab regulation. ..
- Cléard F, Moshkin Y, Karch F, Maeda R. Probing long-distance regulatory interactions in the Drosophila melanogaster bithorax complex using Dam identification. Nat Genet. 2006;38:931-5 pubmed..Overall, our work provides the first documented example of a dynamic, long-distance physical interaction between distal regulatory elements within a living, multicellular organism. ..
- Struhl G, White R. Regulation of the Ultrabithorax gene of Drosophila by other bithorax complex genes. Cell. 1985;43:507-19 pubmed..Using mutations in the abd-A, Abd-B, and esc (extra sex combs) genes we show that these distinct patterns result in large part from regulation of Ubx gene expression by the abd-A and Abd-B gene functions. ..
- Biggin M, McGinnis W. Regulation of segmentation and segmental identity by Drosophila homeoproteins: the role of DNA binding in functional activity and specificity. Development. 1997;124:4425-33 pubmed..In this 'widespread binding' model, cofactors act mainly by helping to distinguish the way in which homeoproteins regulate targets to which they are already bound. ..
- Chauvet S, Merabet S, Bilder D, Scott M, Pradel J, Graba Y. Distinct hox protein sequences determine specificity in different tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:4064-9 pubmed..Available genetic markers allow the regulatory effects of two Hox proteins, Abdominal-A (AbdA) and Ultrabithorax (Ubx), to be distinguished in the Drosophila embryonic epidermis and visceral mesoderm (VM)...
- Hirth F, Loop T, Egger B, Miller D, Kaufman T, Reichert H. Functional equivalence of Hox gene products in the specification of the tritocerebrum during embryonic brain development of Drosophila. Development. 2001;128:4781-8 pubmed..This suggests that in embryonic brain development, differences in Hox gene action rely mainly on cis-acting regulatory elements and not on Hox protein specificity. ..
- Kosman D, Mizutani C, Lemons D, Cox W, McGinnis W, Bier E. Multiplex detection of RNA expression in Drosophila embryos. Science. 2004;305:846 pubmed
- Chopra V, Hong J, Levine M. Regulation of Hox gene activity by transcriptional elongation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2009;19:688-93 pubmed publisher..Stalled Pol II persists in tissues where Ubx and Abd-B are silenced by the PcG complex. We propose that stalling fosters both the rapid induction and precise silencing of Hox gene expression during development. ..
- Akam M, Averof M, Castelli Gair J, Dawes R, Falciani F, Ferrier D. The evolving role of Hox genes in arthropods. Dev Suppl. 1994;:209-15 pubmed..They show conserved patterns of expression in the nervous system, but not during early development. ..
- Prokop A, Technau G. Early tagma-specific commitment of Drosophila CNS progenitor NB1-1. Development. 1994;120:2567-78 pubmed..At that stage antibody stainings reveal both proteins to be present in NB1-1 during normal development. Possible mechanisms conferring the early tagma-specific determination are discussed. ..
- Kopp A, Duncan I. Anteroposterior patterning in adult abdominal segments of Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2002;242:15-30 pubmed..The signals responsible for this underlying symmetry remain to be identified. ..
- Sprecher S, Muller M, Kammermeier L, Miller D, Kaufman T, Reichert H, et al. Hox gene cross-regulatory interactions in the embryonic brain of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2004;121:527-36 pubmed
- Breiling A, O Neill L, D Eliseo D, Turner B, Orlando V. Epigenome changes in active and inactive polycomb-group-controlled regions. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:976-82 pubmed..These PcG-specific repressive marks are maintained by the action of the E(z) HMT, an enzyme that has an important role not only in establishing but also in maintaining PcG repression. ..
- Rogulja Ortmann A, Technau G. Multiple roles for Hox genes in segment-specific shaping of CNS lineages. Fly (Austin). 2008;2:316-9 pubmed
- Simon J, Chiang A, Bender W. Ten different Polycomb group genes are required for spatial control of the abdA and AbdB homeotic products. Development. 1992;114:493-505 pubmed..Here the requirements for Pc group genes in controlling the abdA and AbdB products of the bithorax complex are described...
- Vachon G, Cohen B, Pfeifle C, McGuffin M, Botas J, Cohen S. Homeotic genes of the Bithorax complex repress limb development in the abdomen of the Drosophila embryo through the target gene Distal-less. Cell. 1992;71:437-50 pubmed..Repression of limb development in the abdomen appears to be controlled at the DII enhancer. Thus DII may serve as a downstream target gene through which the homeotic genes control abdominal segment identity in the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Negre B, Casillas S, Suzanne M, Sánchez Herrero E, Akam M, Nefedov M, et al. Conservation of regulatory sequences and gene expression patterns in the disintegrating Drosophila Hox gene complex. Genome Res. 2005;15:692-700 pubmed..Firstly, we sequenced two regions of the D. buzzatii genome, one containing the genes labial and abdominal A, and another one including proboscipedia, and compared their organization with that of D. melanogaster and D...
- Hunter C, Kenyon C. Specification of anteroposterior cell fates in Caenorhabditis elegans by Drosophila Hox proteins. Nature. 1995;377:229-32 pubmed..Together these findings suggest that factors important for target recognition by specific Hox proteins have been conserved throughout much of the animal kingdom. ..
- Chiang C, Young K, Beachy P. Control of Drosophila tracheal branching by the novel homeodomain gene unplugged, a regulatory target for genes of the bithorax complex. Development. 1995;121:3901-12 pubmed
- Casares F, Calleja M, Sánchez Herrero E. Functional similarity in appendage specification by the Ultrabithorax and abdominal-A Drosophila HOX genes. EMBO J. 1996;15:3934-42 pubmed..Insects may have originally used the HOX genes primarily to specify this main body axis. By contrast, the homeotic requirement to form appendages is, in some cases, non-specific. ..
- Mann R, Chan S. Extra specificity from extradenticle: the partnership between HOX and PBX/EXD homeodomain proteins. Trends Genet. 1996;12:258-62 pubmed
- Berger C, Pallavi S, Prasad M, Shashidhara L, Technau G. A critical role for cyclin E in cell fate determination in the central nervous system of Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:56-62 pubmed..However, other components of the cell cycle seem to have a minor role in this process, suggesting a critical role for CycE in regulating cell fate in segment-specific neural lineages. ..
- Lanzuolo C, Roure V, Dekker J, Bantignies F, Orlando V. Polycomb response elements mediate the formation of chromosome higher-order structures in the bithorax complex. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:1167-74 pubmed
- Li Kroeger D, Witt L, Grimes H, Cook T, Gebelein B. Hox and senseless antagonism functions as a molecular switch to regulate EGF secretion in the Drosophila PNS. Dev Cell. 2008;15:298-308 pubmed publisher..As the vertebrate senseless homolog is essential for neural development as well as hematopoiesis, we propose Hox-Senseless antagonism will broadly control cell fate decisions. ..
- Merabet S, Litim Mecheri I, Karlsson D, Dixit R, Saadaoui M, Monier B, et al. Insights into Hox protein function from a large scale combinatorial analysis of protein domains. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002302 pubmed publisher..Focusing on three domains of the central class Drosophila Hox transcription factor AbdominalA (AbdA), we used combinatorial domain mutations and most known AbdA developmental functions as biological ..
- González Crespo S, Morata G. Control of Drosophila adult pattern by extradenticle. Development. 1995;121:2117-25 pubmed..Our findings indicate that exd is critically involved in adult morphogenesis, not only in the homeotic function but also in several other developmental processes. ..
- Manak J, Mathies L, Scott M. Regulation of a decapentaplegic midgut enhancer by homeotic proteins. Development. 1994;120:3605-19 pubmed..In the Drosophila midgut, the Ultrabithorax (Ubx) protein activates and the abdominalA (abd-A) protein represses transcription of the decapentaplegic (dpp) gene, which encodes a secreted signalling ..
- Andrew D, Horner M, Petitt M, Smolik S, Scott M. Setting limits on homeotic gene function: restraint of Sex combs reduced activity by teashirt and other homeotic genes. EMBO J. 1994;13:1132-44 pubmed..Therefore, spatial restrictions on homeotic gene activity differ between tissues and result both from the regulation of homeotic gene transcription and from restraints on where homeotic proteins can function. ..
- Staehling Hampton K, Hoffmann F. Ectopic decapentaplegic in the Drosophila midgut alters the expression of five homeotic genes, dpp, and wingless, causing specific morphological defects. Dev Biol. 1994;164:502-12 pubmed
- Lupo R, Breiling A, Bianchi M, Orlando V. Drosophila chromosome condensation proteins Topoisomerase II and Barren colocalize with Polycomb and maintain Fab-7 PRE silencing. Mol Cell. 2001;7:127-36 pubmed..We propose that chromatin condensation proteins are involved in mechanisms acting in interphase that regulate chromosome domain topology and are essential for the maintenance of gene expression. ..
- Miller D, Rogers B, Kalkbrenner A, Hamilton B, Holtzman S, Kaufman T. Cross-regulation of Hox genes in the Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Mech Dev. 2001;102:3-16 pubmed..A summary of Hox gene cross-regulation by ectopically driven Hox proteins is tabulated for embryogenesis. ..
- Ronshaugen M, Biemar F, Piel J, Levine M, Lai E. The Drosophila microRNA iab-4 causes a dominant homeotic transformation of halteres to wings. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2947-52 pubmed..Here, we analyze the iab-4 locus, which produces the microRNAs iab-4-5p and iab-4-3p...
- Kannan R, Berger C, Myneni S, Technau G, Shashidhara L. Abdominal-A mediated repression of Cyclin E expression during cell-fate specification in the Drosophila central nervous system. Mech Dev. 2010;127:137-45 pubmed publisher..During embryonic CNS development of Drosophila, the Hox protein Abdominal-A (AbdA) is required for the specification of the abdominal NB6-4 lineage...
- Strutt H, Cavalli G, Paro R. Co-localization of Polycomb protein and GAGA factor on regulatory elements responsible for the maintenance of homeotic gene expression. EMBO J. 1997;16:3621-32 pubmed..We propose that GAGA factor binds constitutively to regulatory elements in the bithorax complex, which function both as PREs and as trithorax group response elements. ..
- de Navas L, Foronda D, Suzanne M, Sánchez Herrero E. A simple and efficient method to identify replacements of P-lacZ by P-Gal4 lines allows obtaining Gal4 insertions in the bithorax complex of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2006;123:860-7 pubmed..Our experiments confirm that the abdominal-A gene can replace Ultrabithorax in haltere development but that it cannot substitute for Abdominal-B in the formation of the genitalia. ..
- Michelson A. Muscle pattern diversification in Drosophila is determined by the autonomous function of homeotic genes in the embryonic mesoderm. Development. 1994;120:755-68 pubmed..Finally, these experiments reveal that homeotic cues specific to both the mesoderm and the ectoderm cooperate to specify the pattern of muscle attachment sites. ..
- Chan S, Mann R. The segment identity functions of Ultrabithorax are contained within its homeo domain and carboxy-terminal sequences. Genes Dev. 1993;7:796-811 pubmed..Therefore, it is likely that this assay measures the coordinate regulation of many downstream target genes. This expectation is confirmed for at least one Ubx target gene, Distal-less. ..
- Freeland D, Kuhn D. Expression patterns of developmental genes reveal segment and parasegment organization of D. melanogaster genital discs. Mech Dev. 1996;56:61-72 pubmed..Models are presented to show how the segments and parasegments may fuse together during embryogenesis to form the mature male and female genital discs. ..
- Prokop A, Bray S, Harrison E, Technau G. Homeotic regulation of segment-specific differences in neuroblast numbers and proliferation in the Drosophila central nervous system. Mech Dev. 1998;74:99-110 pubmed
- Duboule D. The rise and fall of Hox gene clusters. Development. 2007;134:2549-60 pubmed..By integrating these parameters, general conclusions emerge that can help solve the aforementioned dilemma. ..
- Lewis E. A gene complex controlling segmentation in Drosophila. Nature. 1978;276:565-70 pubmed
- Oktaba K, Gutierrez L, Gagneur J, Girardot C, Sengupta A, Furlong E, et al. Dynamic regulation by polycomb group protein complexes controls pattern formation and the cell cycle in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;15:877-89 pubmed publisher..Analysis of cell cycle regulators indicates that the PcG system also dynamically modulates the expression levels of certain genes, providing a possible explanation for the tumor phenotype of PcG mutants. ..
- Röder L, Vola C, Kerridge S. The role of the teashirt gene in trunk segmental identity in Drosophila. Development. 1992;115:1017-33 pubmed..Our results are consistent with the idea that tsh is defining the ground state of the Drosophila trunk region seen in the absence of the Antp and BX-C genes. ..
- Simon J, Peifer M, Bender W, O Connor M. Regulatory elements of the bithorax complex that control expression along the anterior-posterior axis. EMBO J. 1990;9:3945-56 pubmed..The early appearance of the lacZ patterns in embryos suggests a role for these elements in the initial activation of expression from the BX-C. ..
- Stark A, Bushati N, Jan C, Kheradpour P, Hodges E, Brennecke J, et al. A single Hox locus in Drosophila produces functional microRNAs from opposite DNA strands. Genes Dev. 2008;22:8-13 pubmed publisher..Here, we report that the miRNA iab-4 locus in the Drosophila Hox cluster is transcribed convergently from both DNA strands, giving rise to two ..
- Sambrani N, Hudry B, Maurel Zaffran C, Zouaz A, Mishra R, Merabet S, et al. Distinct molecular strategies for Hox-mediated limb suppression in Drosophila: from cooperativity to dispensability/antagonism in TALE partnership. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003307 pubmed publisher..This was achieved by comparing in Drosophila the mode of limb suppression by the central (Ultrabithorax and AbdominalA) and posterior class (AbdominalB) Hox proteins...
- McCormick A, Core N, Kerridge S, Scott M. Homeotic response elements are tightly linked to tissue-specific elements in a transcriptional enhancer of the teashirt gene. Development. 1995;121:2799-812 pubmed..We propose that local interactions between homeotic proteins and other factors effect activation of targets in proper cell types. ..
- Martin C, Mayeda C, Davis C, Ericsson C, Knafels J, Mathog D, et al. Complete sequence of the bithorax complex of Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:8398-402 pubmed..previously known ABD-A protein and a putative glucose transporter-like gene (1521 bp) located at or near the bithoraxoid (bxd), infra-abdominal-2 (iab-2) boundary on the opposite strand relative to that of the homeobox-containing genes.
- Kurant E, Pai C, Sharf R, Halachmi N, Sun Y, Salzberg A. Dorsotonals/homothorax, the Drosophila homologue of meis1, interacts with extradenticle in patterning of the embryonic PNS. Development. 1998;125:1037-48 pubmed..Based on our observations we propose that the genetic interactions between hth and exd serve as a novel mechanism for regulating homeotic protein activity in embryonic PNS development. ..
- Grienenberger A, Merabet S, Manak J, Iltis I, Fabre A, B renger H, et al. Tgfbeta signaling acts on a Hox response element to confer specificity and diversity to Hox protein function. Development. 2003;130:5445-55 pubmed publisher..specificity was investigated by dissecting the genetic and molecular requirements that allow the Hox protein Abdominal A to activate wingless in only a few cells of its broad expression domain in the Drosophila visceral mesoderm...
- Rogulja Ortmann A, Renner S, Technau G. Antagonistic roles for Ultrabithorax and Antennapedia in regulating segment-specific apoptosis of differentiated motoneurons in the Drosophila embryonic central nervous system. Development. 2008;135:3435-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, two Hox genes contribute to segment patterning and diversity in the embryonic CNS by carrying out opposing roles in the survival of specific differentiated motoneurons...