Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: 5-HT2A
Description: 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 2A
Alias: 5-HT2, 5-HT2Dro, 5-HTDro, 5-HT[[2Dro]], 5-HT[], 5-HT[]Dro, 5-ht2Dro, 5HT-R82A, 5HT-dro[], 5HT2, 5HT2-Dro, 5HT2Dro, 5HT[[2Dro]], CG1056, Dm5HT2, Dmel\CG1056, d5-HT2, d5-HT2A, l(3)82CDb, 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 2A, 5-HT2A-PA, 5-HT2A-PB, 5-HT2A-PD, 5-HT2A-PF, 5-HT2A-PH, 5-HT[]Dro receptor, CG1056-PA, CG1056-PB, CG1056-PD, CG1056-PF, CG1056-PH, lethal (3) 82CDb, serotonin receptor 2
Species: fruit fly
- Nichols C. 5-HT2 receptors in Drosophila are expressed in the brain and modulate aspects of circadian behaviors. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:752-63 pubmed
- Blenau W, Baumann A. Molecular and pharmacological properties of insect biogenic amine receptors: lessons from Drosophila melanogaster and Apis mellifera. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2001;48:13-38 pubmed..In this review, the present knowledge on the biochemical, molecular, and pharmacological properties of biogenic amine receptors from Drosophila and Apis will be summarized. Arch...
- Silva B, Goles N, Varas R, Campusano J. Serotonin receptors expressed in Drosophila mushroom bodies differentially modulate larval locomotion. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89641 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that CNS 5HT systems are involved in motor control, and that 5HT receptors expressed in MB differentially modulate motor programs in fly larvae. ..
- Mohammad F, Aryal S, Ho J, Stewart J, Norman N, Tan T, et al. Ancient Anxiety Pathways Influence Drosophila Defense Behaviors. Curr Biol. 2016;26:981-6 pubmed publisher..The presence of conserved neurogenetic pathways in the insect brain identifies Drosophila as an attractive genetic model for the study of anxiety and anxiety-related disorders, complementing existing rodent systems. ..
- Majeed Z, Stacy A, Cooper R. Pharmacological and genetic identification of serotonin receptor subtypes on Drosophila larval heart and aorta. J Comp Physiol B. 2014;184:205-19 pubmed publisher..Given these results, we conclude that these 5-HT2 receptor subtypes are involved in the action of 5-HT on the heart rate in the larval stage. ..
- Shen W, Kwon Y, Adegbola A, Luo J, Chess A, Montell C. Function of rhodopsin in temperature discrimination in Drosophila. Science. 2011;331:1333-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that rhodopsins represent a class of evolutionarily conserved GPCRs that are required for initiating thermosensory signaling cascades. ..
- Majeed Z, Abdeljaber E, Soveland R, Cornwell K, Bankemper A, Koch F, et al. Modulatory Action by the Serotonergic System: Behavior and Neurophysiology in Drosophila melanogaster. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:7291438 pubmed publisher..5-HT2 receptor activation mediates a modulatory role in a sensory-motor circuit, and the activation of 5-HT neurons can suppress the neural circuit activity, while fluoxetine can significantly decrease the sensory-motor activity. ..
- Curran K, Chalasani S. Serotonin circuits and anxiety: what can invertebrates teach us?. Invert Neurosci. 2012;12:81-92 pubmed publisher..These model systems possess well-defined neuroanatomies and robust serotonin-mediated behavior and should reveal insights into how serotonin can modulate human cognitive functions...
- Nikoh N, Duty A, Gibson G. Effects of population structure and sex on association between serotonin receptors and Drosophila heart rate. Genetics. 2004;168:1963-74 pubmed
- Pebusque M, Coulier F, Birnbaum D, Pontarotti P. Ancient large-scale genome duplications: phylogenetic and linkage analyses shed light on chordate genome evolution. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:1145-59 pubmed..Linkage of some of these genes can be found in the Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans genomes, suggesting that they were linked in the triploblast Metazoa ancestor. ..
- Gasque G, Conway S, Huang J, Rao Y, Vosshall L. Small molecule drug screening in Drosophila identifies the 5HT2A receptor as a feeding modulation target. Sci Rep. 2013;3:srep02120 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the conservation of molecular mechanisms controlling appetite and provide a method for unbiased whole-organism drug screens to identify novel drugs and molecular pathways modulating food intake. ..
- Tomson K, Vaht M, Laas K, Veidebaum T, Harro J. Effect of a human serotonin 5-HT2A receptor gene polymorphism on impulsivity: Dependence on cholesterol levels. J Affect Disord. 2016;206:23-30 pubmed publisher..This suggests that future studies on impulsivity need to consider the interaction of serotonergic measures with the whole range of cholesterol levels. ..
- Zwarts L, Versteven M, Callaerts P. Genetics and neurobiology of aggression in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2012;6:35-48 pubmed publisher..The state of the art on aggression in Drosophila and the many opportunities provided by this model organism to unravel the genetic and neurobiological basis of aggression are reviewed. ..
- Xu H, Guan J, Yi H, Yin S. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between serotonergic gene polymorphisms and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86460 pubmed publisher..The A allele of the 1438G/A gene polymorphism is predominantly distributed in males and increased the OSAS risk significantly. ..
- Gnerer J, Venken K, Dierick H. Gene-specific cell labeling using MiMIC transposons. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:e56 pubmed publisher..We show the efficacy and broad applicability of these new tools by dissecting the cellular expression patterns of the Drosophila serotonin receptor gene family. ..
- Schaerlinger B, Launay J, Vonesch J, Maroteaux L. Gain of affinity point mutation in the serotonin receptor gene 5-HT2Dro accelerates germband extension movements during Drosophila gastrulation. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:991-9 pubmed
- Tsubouchi A, Caldwell J, Tracey W. Dendritic filopodia, Ripped Pocket, NOMPC, and NMDARs contribute to the sense of touch in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2124-34 pubmed publisher..These cells show physiological responses to force. Ion channels in several force-sensing gene families are required for behavioral sensitivity to touch and for the formation of the actin-rich sensory filopodia. ..
- Wu W, Cooper R. Serotonin and synaptic transmission at invertebrate neuromuscular junctions. Exp Neurobiol. 2012;21:101-12 pubmed publisher..In this review we highlight some of the key findings of 5-HT actions and receptor types associated at NMJs in a variety of invertebrate preparations in hopes that future studies will build on this knowledge base. ..