Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: 5-HT1B
Description: 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 1B
Alias: 5-HT-dro2B, 5-HT1BDro, 5-HT[1B]Dro, 5-HT[[1BDro]], 5-HT[[1B]], 5-HT[[1B]]DRO, 5-HT[[1B]]Dro, 5-HT[[dro2B]], 5HT-R2B, 5HT-dro2B, 5HT-dro[[2B]], 5HT1B, 5htdro2b, CG15113, CG30126, DRO2B, Dm5HTdro2B, Dmel\CG15113, Dmel_CG30126, HT1B, d5-HT1B, 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 1B, 5-HT1B-PA, 5-HT1B-PD, 5-HT1B-PE, CG15113-PA, CG15113-PD, CG15113-PE, drosophila serotonin receptor 1B, serotonin receptor 1B, serotonin receptor 2B
Species: fruit fly
- Tierney A. Structure and function of invertebrate 5-HT receptors: a review. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2001;128:791-804 pubmed..This review summarizes information on the pharmacological and transductional properties of cloned invertebrate 5-HT receptors, and considers recent studies of endogenous receptors in the light of this new data. ..
- Silva B, Goles N, Varas R, Campusano J. Serotonin receptors expressed in Drosophila mushroom bodies differentially modulate larval locomotion. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89641 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that CNS 5HT systems are involved in motor control, and that 5HT receptors expressed in MB differentially modulate motor programs in fly larvae. ..
- Majeed Z, Abdeljaber E, Soveland R, Cornwell K, Bankemper A, Koch F, et al. Modulatory Action by the Serotonergic System: Behavior and Neurophysiology in Drosophila melanogaster. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:7291438 pubmed publisher..5-HT2 receptor activation mediates a modulatory role in a sensory-motor circuit, and the activation of 5-HT neurons can suppress the neural circuit activity, while fluoxetine can significantly decrease the sensory-motor activity. ..
- Curran K, Chalasani S. Serotonin circuits and anxiety: what can invertebrates teach us?. Invert Neurosci. 2012;12:81-92 pubmed publisher..These model systems possess well-defined neuroanatomies and robust serotonin-mediated behavior and should reveal insights into how serotonin can modulate human cognitive functions...
- Kahsai L, Carlsson M, Winther A, Nässel D. Distribution of metabotropic receptors of serotonin, dopamine, GABA, glutamate, and short neuropeptide F in the central complex of Drosophila. Neuroscience. 2012;208:11-26 pubmed publisher..The information provided here, on receptor distribution, will be very useful for future analysis of functional circuits in the central complex, based on targeted interference with receptor expression. ..
- Wu W, Cooper R. Serotonin and synaptic transmission at invertebrate neuromuscular junctions. Exp Neurobiol. 2012;21:101-12 pubmed publisher..In this review we highlight some of the key findings of 5-HT actions and receptor types associated at NMJs in a variety of invertebrate preparations in hopes that future studies will build on this knowledge base. ..
- Rohde P, Madsen L, Neumann Arvidson S, Loeschcke V, Demontis D, Kristensen T. Testing candidate genes for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in fruit flies using a high throughput assay for complex behavior. Fly (Austin). 2016;10:25-34 pubmed publisher..Results provide additional support for the investigated genes being risk candidate genes for ADHD in humans. ..
- Feng G, Hannan F, Reale V, Hon Y, Kousky C, Evans P, et al. Cloning and functional characterization of a novel dopamine receptor from Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurosci. 1996;16:3925-33 pubmed..Because DopR99B is the second dopamine receptor cloned from Drosophila, this work establishes dopamine receptor diversity in a system amenable to genetic dissection. ..
- Bryson Richardson R, Logan D, Currie P, Jackson I. Large-scale analysis of gene structure in rhodopsin-like GPCRs: evidence for widespread loss of an ancient intron. Gene. 2004;338:15-23 pubmed..Together, these two lines of evidence provide compelling evidence for the widespread loss of introns during the evolution of the mammalian GPCR-A family. ..
- Pebusque M, Coulier F, Birnbaum D, Pontarotti P. Ancient large-scale genome duplications: phylogenetic and linkage analyses shed light on chordate genome evolution. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:1145-59 pubmed..Linkage of some of these genes can be found in the Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans genomes, suggesting that they were linked in the triploblast Metazoa ancestor. ..
- Mohammad F, Aryal S, Ho J, Stewart J, Norman N, Tan T, et al. Ancient Anxiety Pathways Influence Drosophila Defense Behaviors. Curr Biol. 2016;26:981-6 pubmed publisher..The presence of conserved neurogenetic pathways in the insect brain identifies Drosophila as an attractive genetic model for the study of anxiety and anxiety-related disorders, complementing existing rodent systems. ..
- Nikoh N, Duty A, Gibson G. Effects of population structure and sex on association between serotonin receptors and Drosophila heart rate. Genetics. 2004;168:1963-74 pubmed..Thirteen kilobases of DNA including the complete coding regions of 5-HT1A, 5-HT1B, and 5-HT2 were sequenced in 216 highly inbred lines extracted from two North American populations in California ..
- Aso Y, Herb A, Ogueta M, Siwanowicz I, Templier T, Friedrich A, et al. Three dopamine pathways induce aversive odor memories with different stability. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002768 pubmed publisher..These results cast light on a cellular mechanism by which a noxious event induces different dopamine signals to a single brain structure to synthesize an aversive memory. ..
- Hita M, Poirie M, Leblanc N, Lemeunier F, Lutcher F, Frey F, et al. Genetic localization of a Drosophila melanogaster resistance gene to a parasitoid wasp and physical mapping of the region. Genome Res. 1999;9:471-81 pubmed..Using single and double digests, cross hybridization of restriction fragments, and location of genetically mapped genes and STSs, a complete, five-enzyme restriction map of this 830-kb region was obtained. ..
- Xie Z, Huang C, Ci B, Wang L, Zhong Y. Requirement of the combination of mushroom body ? lobe and ?/? lobes for the retrieval of both aversive and appetitive early memories in Drosophila. Learn Mem. 2013;20:474-81 pubmed publisher..This discovery may help us to rethink how aversive and appetitive memories are processed from memory formation to memory retrieval. ..
- Chiang A, Lin C, Chuang C, Chang H, Hsieh C, Yeh C, et al. Three-dimensional reconstruction of brain-wide wiring networks in Drosophila at single-cell resolution. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1-11 pubmed publisher..We found that the Drosophila brain is assembled from families of multiple LPUs and their interconnections. This provides an essential first step in the analysis of information processing within and between neurons in a complete brain. ..
- Okusawa S, Kohsaka H, Nose A. Serotonin and downstream leucokinin neurons modulate larval turning behavior in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2014;34:2544-58 pubmed publisher..We identified a class of abdominal neurons called the abdominal LK neurons (ABLKs), which express the 5-HT1B receptor and the neuropeptide leucokinin, as downstream targets of 5-HT that are involved in the control of turning...
- Gnerer J, Venken K, Dierick H. Gene-specific cell labeling using MiMIC transposons. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:e56 pubmed publisher..We show the efficacy and broad applicability of these new tools by dissecting the cellular expression patterns of the Drosophila serotonin receptor gene family. ..
- Liu Y, Luo J, Carlsson M, NÃ¤ssel D. Serotonin and insulin-like peptides modulate leucokinin-producing neurons that affect feeding and water homeostasis in Drosophila. J Comp Neurol. 2015;523:1840-63 pubmed publisher..Next we demonstrated that LK neurons express the serotonin receptor 5-HT1B ...
- Yuan Q, Song Y, Yang C, Jan L, Jan Y. Female contact modulates male aggression via a sexually dimorphic GABAergic circuit in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2014;17:81-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that the GABAergic inhibition represents a critical cellular mechanism that enables prior experience to modulate aggression. ..
- Qi Y, Huang J, Li M, Wu Y, Xia R, Ye G. Serotonin modulates insect hemocyte phagocytosis via two different serotonin receptors. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Biochemical and functional experiments showed that naive hemocytes primarily express 5-HT1B and 5-HT2B receptors...
- Han K, Millar N, Davis R. A novel octopamine receptor with preferential expression in Drosophila mushroom bodies. J Neurosci. 1998;18:3650-8 pubmed..The preferential expression of OAMB in mushroom bodies and its capacity to produce cAMP accumulation suggest an important role in synaptic modulation underlying behavioral plasticity. ..
- Gasque G, Conway S, Huang J, Rao Y, Vosshall L. Small molecule drug screening in Drosophila identifies the 5HT2A receptor as a feeding modulation target. Sci Rep. 2013;3:srep02120 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the conservation of molecular mechanisms controlling appetite and provide a method for unbiased whole-organism drug screens to identify novel drugs and molecular pathways modulating food intake. ..
- Luo J, Becnel J, Nichols C, Nassel D. Insulin-producing cells in the brain of adult Drosophila are regulated by the serotonin 5-HT1A receptor. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:471-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have identified a second inhibitory pathway regulating IPC activity in the Drosophila brain. ..