Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: 5-HT1A
Description: 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 1A
Alias: 5-HT-dro2A, 5-HT1ADro, 5-HT[1A]Dro, 5-HT[[1ADro]], 5-HT[[1A]], 5-HT[[1A]]DRO, 5HT-R2A, 5HT-dro2A, 5HT-drp[[2A]], 5HT1A, 5HT[[1ADro]], 5htdro2a, CG16720, DRO2A, Dm5HTdro2A, Dmel\CG16720, HT1A, d5-HT1A, 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin) receptor 1A, 5-HT1A-PB, CG16720-PB, serotonin receptor 1A, serotonin receptor 2A, serotonin-receptor-2A
Species: fruit fly
- Han K, Millar N, Davis R. A novel octopamine receptor with preferential expression in Drosophila mushroom bodies. J Neurosci. 1998;18:3650-8 pubmed..The preferential expression of OAMB in mushroom bodies and its capacity to produce cAMP accumulation suggest an important role in synaptic modulation underlying behavioral plasticity. ..
- Feng G, Hannan F, Reale V, Hon Y, Kousky C, Evans P, et al. Cloning and functional characterization of a novel dopamine receptor from Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurosci. 1996;16:3925-33 pubmed..Because DopR99B is the second dopamine receptor cloned from Drosophila, this work establishes dopamine receptor diversity in a system amenable to genetic dissection. ..
- Majeed Z, Abdeljaber E, Soveland R, Cornwell K, Bankemper A, Koch F, et al. Modulatory Action by the Serotonergic System: Behavior and Neurophysiology in Drosophila melanogaster. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:7291438 pubmed publisher..5-HT2 receptor activation mediates a modulatory role in a sensory-motor circuit, and the activation of 5-HT neurons can suppress the neural circuit activity, while fluoxetine can significantly decrease the sensory-motor activity. ..
- Guven Ozkan T, Davis R. Functional neuroanatomy of Drosophila olfactory memory formation. Learn Mem. 2014;21:519-26 pubmed publisher..Despite this progress, a complete and unified model that details the pathway from acquisition to memory expression remains elusive. ..
- Silva B, Goles N, Varas R, Campusano J. Serotonin receptors expressed in Drosophila mushroom bodies differentially modulate larval locomotion. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89641 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that CNS 5HT systems are involved in motor control, and that 5HT receptors expressed in MB differentially modulate motor programs in fly larvae. ..
- Hong K, Park Y, Suh H. Sleep-promoting effects of a GABA/5-HTP mixture: Behavioral changes and neuromodulation in an invertebrate model. Life Sci. 2016;150:42-9 pubmed publisher..003). These results related to transcript levels of the GABAB receptor (GABAB-R1) and serotonin receptor (5-HT1A), compared to the control group...
- Pebusque M, Coulier F, Birnbaum D, Pontarotti P. Ancient large-scale genome duplications: phylogenetic and linkage analyses shed light on chordate genome evolution. Mol Biol Evol. 1998;15:1145-59 pubmed..Linkage of some of these genes can be found in the Drosophila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans genomes, suggesting that they were linked in the triploblast Metazoa ancestor. ..
- Bjordal M, Arquier N, Kniazeff J, Pin J, Leopold P. Sensing of amino acids in a dopaminergic circuitry promotes rejection of an incomplete diet in Drosophila. Cell. 2014;156:510-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data identify a central amino-acid-sensing mechanism operating in specific DA neurons and controlling food intake. ..
- Singh K, Ju J, Walsh M, Diiorio M, Hart A. Deep conservation of genes required for both Drosphila melanogaster and Caenorhabditis elegans sleep includes a role for dopaminergic signaling. Sleep. 2014;37:1439-51 pubmed publisher..Quantitative analysis of various components of quiescence suggests that interdependent or identical cellular and molecular mechanisms are likely to regulate both arousal and sleep entry. ..
- Merlet I, Ryvlin P, Costes N, Dufournel D, Isnard J, Faillenot I, et al. Statistical parametric mapping of 5-HT1A receptor binding in temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal ictal onset on intracranial EEG. Neuroimage. 2004;22:886-96 pubmed..Further studies are warranted to evaluate the clinical usefulness of [(18)F]MPPF-PET as compared to other established PET tracers in drug resistant TLE. ..
- Alekseyenko O, Kravitz E. Serotonin and the search for the anatomical substrate of aggression. Fly (Austin). 2014;8:200-5 pubmed publisher..We found anatomical target areas within the brain where these neurons appear to form synaptic contacts with 5HT1A receptor-expressing neurons, and then confirmed the likelihood of those connections on a functional level...
- Curran K, Chalasani S. Serotonin circuits and anxiety: what can invertebrates teach us?. Invert Neurosci. 2012;12:81-92 pubmed publisher..These model systems possess well-defined neuroanatomies and robust serotonin-mediated behavior and should reveal insights into how serotonin can modulate human cognitive functions...
- Wu W, Cooper R. Serotonin and synaptic transmission at invertebrate neuromuscular junctions. Exp Neurobiol. 2012;21:101-12 pubmed publisher..In this review we highlight some of the key findings of 5-HT actions and receptor types associated at NMJs in a variety of invertebrate preparations in hopes that future studies will build on this knowledge base. ..
- Bryson Richardson R, Logan D, Currie P, Jackson I. Large-scale analysis of gene structure in rhodopsin-like GPCRs: evidence for widespread loss of an ancient intron. Gene. 2004;338:15-23 pubmed..Together, these two lines of evidence provide compelling evidence for the widespread loss of introns during the evolution of the mammalian GPCR-A family. ..
- Williams M, Goergen P, Phad G, Fredriksson R, Schioth H. The Drosophila Kctd-family homologue Kctd12-like modulates male aggression and mating behaviour. Eur J Neurosci. 2014;40:2513-26 pubmed publisher..was shown that Ktl is in a complex with the Drosophila 5-HT receptor 5-HT7, and we observed that both Ktl and the 5-HT1A receptor are required in insulin-producing cells (IPCs) for proper adult male behaviour, as well as for ..
- Alekseyenko O, Chan Y, Fernández M, BÃ¼low T, Pankratz M, Kravitz E. Single serotonergic neurons that modulate aggression in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2014;24:2700-7 pubmed publisher..GFP reconstitution across synaptic partners (GRASP) analyses suggest that 5HT-PLP neurons form contacts with 5HT1A receptor-expressing neurons in two distinct anatomical regions of the brain...
- Mohammad F, Aryal S, Ho J, Stewart J, Norman N, Tan T, et al. Ancient Anxiety Pathways Influence Drosophila Defense Behaviors. Curr Biol. 2016;26:981-6 pubmed publisher..The presence of conserved neurogenetic pathways in the insect brain identifies Drosophila as an attractive genetic model for the study of anxiety and anxiety-related disorders, complementing existing rodent systems. ..
- Liu Y, Luo J, Carlsson M, NÃ¤ssel D. Serotonin and insulin-like peptides modulate leucokinin-producing neurons that affect feeding and water homeostasis in Drosophila. J Comp Neurol. 2015;523:1840-63 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that serotonin via 5-HT1B diminishes activity in the LK neurons and thereby modulates functions regulated by LK peptide, but the action of the dInR in these neurons remains less clear. ..
- Gnerer J, Venken K, Dierick H. Gene-specific cell labeling using MiMIC transposons. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43:e56 pubmed publisher..We show the efficacy and broad applicability of these new tools by dissecting the cellular expression patterns of the Drosophila serotonin receptor gene family. ..
- Nikoh N, Duty A, Gibson G. Effects of population structure and sex on association between serotonin receptors and Drosophila heart rate. Genetics. 2004;168:1963-74 pubmed..Thirteen kilobases of DNA including the complete coding regions of 5-HT1A, 5-HT1B, and 5-HT2 were sequenced in 216 highly inbred lines extracted from two North American populations in ..
- Kerr M, Davies S, Dow J. Cell-specific manipulation of second messengers; a toolbox for integrative physiology in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1468-74 pubmed..The results uncovered a new role for cGMP signaling in tubule and also demonstrate the utility of the tubule as a possible in vivo test bed for novel receptors, ligands, or agonists/antagonists. ..
- Shim K, Blake K, Jack J, Krasnow M. The Drosophila ribbon gene encodes a nuclear BTB domain protein that promotes epithelial migration and morphogenesis. Development. 2001;128:4923-33 pubmed..We propose that Rib is a key regulator of epithelial morphogenesis that promotes migration and morphogenesis of the tracheal cell bodies and apical surface and other morphogenetic movements. ..
- Hita M, Poirie M, Leblanc N, Lemeunier F, Lutcher F, Frey F, et al. Genetic localization of a Drosophila melanogaster resistance gene to a parasitoid wasp and physical mapping of the region. Genome Res. 1999;9:471-81 pubmed..Using single and double digests, cross hybridization of restriction fragments, and location of genetically mapped genes and STSs, a complete, five-enzyme restriction map of this 830-kb region was obtained. ..
- Luo J, Lushchak O, Goergen P, Williams M, Nassel D. Drosophila insulin-producing cells are differentially modulated by serotonin and octopamine receptors and affect social behavior. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99732 pubmed publisher..Two monoamine receptors, the octopamine receptor OAMB and the serotonin receptor 5-HT1A, are expressed by the IPCs. These receptors may act antagonistically on adenylate cyclase...
- Lee P, Lin H, Chang Y, Fu T, Dubnau J, Hirsh J, et al. Serotonin-mushroom body circuit modulating the formation of anesthesia-resistant memory in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:13794-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to the Amnesiac peptide required for anesthesia-sensitive memory formation, the two DPM neurons also release 5HT acting on MB neurons for ARM formation...
- Gasque G, Conway S, Huang J, Rao Y, Vosshall L. Small molecule drug screening in Drosophila identifies the 5HT2A receptor as a feeding modulation target. Sci Rep. 2013;3:srep02120 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the conservation of molecular mechanisms controlling appetite and provide a method for unbiased whole-organism drug screens to identify novel drugs and molecular pathways modulating food intake. ..