Gene Symbol: FPS1
- Fps1, a yeast member of the MIP family of channel proteins, is a facilitator for glycerol uptake and efflux and is inactive under osmotic stressK Luyten
Laboratorium voor Moleculaire Celbiologie, Katholieke Universiteit te Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
EMBO J 14:1360-71. 1995The Saccharomyces cerevisiae FPS1 gene, which encodes a channel protein belonging to the MIP family, has been isolated previously as a multicopy suppressor of the growth defect of the fdp1 mutant (allelic to GGS1/TPS1) on fermentable ..
- Hog1 mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation targets the yeast Fps1 aquaglyceroporin for endocytosis, thereby rendering cells resistant to acetic acidMehdi Mollapour
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Biol 27:6446-56. 2007..This Hog1 then phosphorylates the plasma membrane aquaglyceroporin, Fps1, a phosphorylation that results in Fps1 becoming ubiquitinated and endocytosed and then degraded in the vacuole...
- A short regulatory domain restricts glycerol transport through yeast Fps1pMarkus J Tamás
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology Microbiology, Goteborg University, Box 462, 40530 Goteborg, Sweden
J Biol Chem 278:6337-45. 2003....
- The MAPK Hog1p modulates Fps1p-dependent arsenite uptake and tolerance in yeastMichael Thorsen
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology Microbiology, Goteborg University, S 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Mol Biol Cell 17:4400-10. 2006..Understanding how arsenite/antimonite uptake and toxicity is modulated may prove of value for their use in medical therapy...
- Osmotic balance regulates cell fusion during mating in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ Philips
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Programs in Genetics and Cell Biology, San Francisco, California 94143 0448, USA
J Cell Biol 138:961-74. 1997..N. Valtz, and I. Herskowitz. 1994. Genetics 136:1287-1297). Two of these cell fusion mutants are defective in the FPS1 gene, which codes for a glycerol facilitator (Luyten, K., J. Albertyn, W.F. Skibbe, B.A. Prior, J. Ramos, J.M...
- Genome-wide identification of Saccharomyces cerevisiae genes required for maximal tolerance to ethanolMiguel C Teixeira
Institute for Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Centro de Engenharia Biologica e Quimica, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Av Rovisco Pais, 1049 001 Lisbon, Portugal
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:5761-72. 2009..Based on the genome-wide results, the particular role of the FPS1 gene, encoding a plasma membrane aquaglyceroporin which mediates controlled glycerol efflux, in ethanol stress ..
- Presence of the Fps1p aquaglyceroporin channel is essential for Hog1p activation, but suppresses Slt2(Mpk1)p activation, with acetic acid stress of yeastMehdi Mollapour
Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield, UK
Microbiology 155:3304-11. 2009..Lack of Fps1p therefore exerts opposing effects on the activation of Hog1p and Slt2p in yeast exposed to acetic acid stress...
- Identification of positive regulators of the yeast fps1 glycerol channelSara E Beese
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
PLoS Genet 5:e1000738. 2009The yeast Fps1 protein is an aquaglyceroporin that functions as the major facilitator of glycerol transport in response to changes in extracellular osmolarity...
- The yeast aquaglyceroporin Fps1p is a bidirectional arsenite channelEwa Maciaszczyk-Dziubinska
Institute of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
FEBS Lett 584:726-32. 2010..Unexpectedly, we found that overexpression of FPS1 increased arsenite tolerance suggesting a physiological role of Fps1p in arsenic detoxification...
- Improved production of ethanol by deleting FPS1 and over-expressing GLT1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeQing Xue Kong
School of Chemical Engineering and Technology, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
Biotechnol Lett 28:2033-8. 2006..In the mutant KAM-3, the FPS1 gene, which encodes a channel protein responsible for glycerol export, was deleted...
- Roles of BOR1, DUR3, and FPS1 in boron transport and tolerance in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeAkira Nozawa
Precursory Research for Embryonic Science and Technology, Saitama, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 262:216-22. 2006The roles of three membrane proteins, BOR1, DUR3, and FPS1, in boron (B) transport in yeast were examined...
- Overexpression of GLT1 in fps1DeltagpdDelta mutant for optimum ethanol formation by Saccharomyces cerevisiaeLimin Cao
Department of Biochemical Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering and Technology, Tianjin University, Tianjin 300072, PR China
Biomol Eng 24:638-42. 2007..Acetate and pyruvate concentrations of KAM-14 and KAM-15 were greatly decreased comparing to those of KAM-2, respectively. These experimental results approved the metabolic pathway strategies to improve ethanol formation...
- Conditional osmotic stress in yeast: a system to study transport through aquaglyceroporins and osmostress signalingSara Karlgren
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Goteborg University, S 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
J Biol Chem 280:7186-93. 2005..This growth inhibition was suppressed by expression of the hyperactive allele Fps1-Delta1 of the osmogated yeast aquaglyceroporin, Fps1...
- The FPS1 gene product functions as a glycerol facilitator in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeK Luyten
Laboratorium voor Moleculaire Celbiologie, Katholieke Universiteit te Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 39:534-6. 1994
- Unified inventory of established and putative transporters encoded within the complete genome of Saccharomyces cerevisiaeI T Paulsen
Department of Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0116, USA
FEBS Lett 430:116-25. 1998..However, the ratio of secondary transporters (uniporters, cation symporters and antiporters) to primary ATP-driven transporters is much higher for yeast than for bacteria...
- Identification of Kel1p, a kelch domain-containing protein involved in cell fusion and morphology in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ Philips
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0448, USA
J Cell Biol 143:375-89. 1998..a moderate defect in cell fusion that was exacerbated by activated alleles of Pkc1p or loss of FUS1, FUS2, or FPS1, but not by loss of SPA2...
- Fps1p controls the accumulation and release of the compatible solute glycerol in yeast osmoregulationM J Tamas
Laboratorium voor Moleculaire Celbiologie, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Mol Microbiol 31:1087-104. 1999..The physiological role of Fps1p appears to be glycerol export rather than uptake. Fps1 delta mutants are sensitive to hypo-osmotic shock, demonstrating that osmolyte export is required for recovery from ..
- The control of intracellular glycerol in Saccharomyces cerevisiae influences osmotic stress response and resistance to increased temperatureM Siderius
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, IMBW, BioCentrum Amsterdam, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
Mol Microbiol 36:1381-90. 2000..In agreement with this finding, hog1 cells containing an fps1 allele, encoding a constitutively open glycerol channel, have lost their temperature-remedial osmoresistance...
- Response to high osmotic conditions and elevated temperature in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is controlled by intracellular glycerol and involves coordinate activity of MAP kinase pathwaysIwona Wojda
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, IMBW, BioCentrum Amsterdam, Vrije Universiteit, De Boelelaan 1083, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Microbiology 149:1193-204. 2003..This paper reports that overexpression of FPS1 or GPD1 (encoding the glycerol transport facilitator and glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase, respectively, and both ..
- A synthetic analysis of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae stress sensor Mid2p, and identification of a Mid2p-interacting protein, Zeo1p, that modulates the PKC1-MPK1 cell integrity pathwayRobin Green
Department of Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1B1
Microbiology 149:2487-99. 2003..Thus, MID2 and ZEO1 appear to play reciprocal roles in the modulation of the yeast PKC1-MPK1 cell integrity pathway...
- The yeast hnRNP-like protein Hrp1/Nab4 sccumulates in the cytoplasm after hyperosmotic stress: a novel Fps1-dependent responseMichael F Henry
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Medicine and Dentistry, New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine, Stratford, New Jersey 08084, USA
Mol Biol Cell 14:3929-41. 2003..Hrp1p relocalization requires both the CRM1/XPO1 exportin and the FPS1 glycerol transporter genes but is independent of ongoing RNA transcription and protein arginine methylation...
- Yeast Fps1 glycerol facilitator functions as a homotetramerSara E Beese-Sims
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Yeast 28:815-9. 2011The Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fps1 glycerol channel is a member of the major intrinsic protein (MIP) family of plasma membrane channel proteins that functions in osmoregulatory pathways to transport glycerol passively out of the cell...
- PROTEIN ARGININE METHYLATION AND RNA MATURATIONMichael Henry; Fiscal Year: 2003..A better understanding of arginine methylation should not only enhance the understanding of cellular RNA maturation, but also provide insights into viral mechanisms for RNA maturation during cell infection. ..