Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: tor1
Description: phosphatidylinositol kinase Tor1
Alias: phosphatidylinositol kinase Tor1
Species: fission yeast
- Uritani M, Hidaka H, Hotta Y, Ueno M, Ushimaru T, Toda T. Fission yeast Tor2 links nitrogen signals to cell proliferation and acts downstream of the Rheb GTPase. Genes Cells. 2006;11:1367-79 pubmed..Yeast contains two related proteins, Tor1 and Tor2...
- Hayashi T, Hatanaka M, Nagao K, Nakaseko Y, Kanoh J, Kokubu A, et al. Rapamycin sensitivity of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe tor2 mutant and organization of two highly phosphorylated TOR complexes by specific and common subunits. Genes Cells. 2007;12:1357-70 pubmed..six subunits (Tco89, Bit61, Toc1, Tel2, Tti1 and Cka1) that, in addition to the six previously identified subunits (Tor1, Tor2, Mip1/Raptor, Ste20/Rictor, Sin1/Avo1 and Wat1/Lst8), comprise the TOR complexes (TORCs)...
- Alvarez B, Moreno S. Fission yeast Tor2 promotes cell growth and represses cell differentiation. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4475-85 pubmed..Thus, our data reveal a unique regulatory function of the Tor pathway - ensuring that growth and cell differentiation become mutually exclusive and that the choice between them depends on environmental conditions. ..
- Hartmuth S, Petersen J. Fission yeast Tor1 functions as part of TORC1 to control mitotic entry through the stress MAPK pathway following nutrient stress. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:1737-46 pubmed publisherTOR signalling coordinates growth and division to control cell size. Inhibition of Schizosaccharomyces pombe Tor1, in response to a reduction in the quality of the nitrogen source (nutrient stress), promotes mitotic onset through ..
- Kawai M, Nakashima A, Ueno M, Ushimaru T, Aiba K, Doi H, et al. Fission yeast tor1 functions in response to various stresses including nitrogen starvation, high osmolarity, and high temperature. Curr Genet. 2001;39:166-74 pubmed..Here we report that one of the genes, referred to as tor1+, is required for sexual development induced by nitrogen starvation...
- Weisman R, Choder M. The fission yeast TOR homolog, tor1+, is required for the response to starvation and other stresses via a conserved serine. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:7027-32 pubmed..Here we report the initial characterization of two Schizosaccharomyces pombe TOR homologs, tor1(+) and tor2(+)...
- Tatebe H, Murayama S, Yonekura T, Hatano T, Richter D, Furuya T, et al. Substrate specificity of TOR complex 2 is determined by a ubiquitin-fold domain of the Sin1 subunit. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..The specific substrate-recognition function is conserved in human Sin1CRIM, which may represent a potential target for novel anticancer drugs that prevent activation of the mTORC2 substrates such as AKT. ..
- Saitoh S, Mori A, Uehara L, Masuda F, Soejima S, Yanagida M. Mechanisms of expression and translocation of major fission yeast glucose transporters regulated by CaMKK/phosphatases, nuclear shuttling, and TOR. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:373-86 pubmed publisher..These results clarify the evolutionarily conserved molecular mechanisms underlying glucose homeostasis, which are essential for preventing hyperglycemia in humans. ..
- Hálová L, Du W, Kirkham S, Smith D, Petersen J. Phosphorylation of the TOR ATP binding domain by AGC kinase constitutes a novel mode of TOR inhibition. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:595-604 pubmed publisher..The Gad8 kinase (AKT homologue) phosphorylates fission yeast Tor1 at this threonine (T1972) to reduce activity...
- Beuzelin C, Evnouchidou I, Rigolet P, Cauvet Burgevin A, Girard P, Dardalhon D, et al. Deletion of the fission yeast homologue of human insulinase reveals a TORC1-dependent pathway mediating resistance to proteotoxic stress. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67705 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that IDE has a previously unknown function unrelated to substrate cleavage, which links sensitivity to ER stress to a pro-survival role of the TORC1 pathway. ..
- Tatebe H, Shiozaki K. Rab small GTPase emerges as a regulator of TOR complex 2. Small Gtpases. 2010;1:180-182 pubmed publisher..pombe. Considering the evolutionary conservation of the TOR pathways, it is conceivable that Rabfamily GTPases also play a role in the regulation of human TORC2 in cellular proliferation and insulin signaling...
- Roux A, Chartrand P, Ferbeyre G, Rokeach L. Fission yeast and other yeasts as emergent models to unravel cellular aging in eukaryotes. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010;65:1-8 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the state of knowledge on the mechanisms controlling both replicative and chronological aging in S pombe and the other emergent yeast models. ..
- Cherkasova V, Maury L, Bacikova D, Pridham K, Bahler J, Maraia R. Altered nuclear tRNA metabolism in La-deleted Schizosaccharomyces pombe is accompanied by a nutritional stress response involving Atf1p and Pcr1p that is suppressible by Xpo-t/Los1p. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:480-91 pubmed publisher..pombe through its effects on nuclear tRNA processing and probably nuclear export. Finally, the results are discussed in the context of stress response programs in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. ..
- Madrid M, JimÃ©nez R, SÃ¡nchez Mir L, Soto T, Franco A, Vicente Soler J, et al. Multiple layers of regulation influence cell integrity control by the PKC ortholog Pck2 in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:266-80 pubmed publisher..These results unveil a novel mechanism whereby TOR regulates PKC function at a translational level, and they add a new regulatory layer to MAPK signaling cascades. ..
- Ma Y, Ma N, Liu Q, Qi Y, Manabe R, Furuyashiki T. Tor Signaling Regulates Transcription of Amino Acid Permeases through a GATA Transcription Factor Gaf1 in Fission Yeast. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0144677 pubmed publisherIn the fission yeast, two Tor isoforms, Tor1 and Tor2, oppositely regulate gene expression of amino acid permeases...
- Cohen A, Kupiec M, Weisman R. Gad8 Protein Is Found in the Nucleus Where It Interacts with the MluI Cell Cycle Box-binding Factor (MBF) Transcriptional Complex to Regulate the Response to DNA Replication Stress. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:9371-81 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings highlight critical functions of TORC2 in the nucleus and suggest a role in surviving DNA replication stress via transcriptional regulation of MBF target genes. ..
- Baker K, Kirkham S, Hálová L, Atkin J, Franz Wachtel M, Cobley D, et al. TOR complex 2 localises to the cytokinetic actomyosin ring and controls the fidelity of cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:2613-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, TORC2 localisation to the CAR, and TORC2-dependent Acp1 phosphorylation contributes to timely control and the fidelity of cytokinesis and cell division. ..
- Weisman R, Finkelstein S, Choder M. Rapamycin blocks sexual development in fission yeast through inhibition of the cellular function of an FKBP12 homolog. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:24736-42 pubmed..pombe. All five amino acids are located in the putative rapamycin binding pocket. Together, our findings indicate that Fkh1 has an important role in sexual development and serves as the target for rapamycin action in S. pombe. ..
- Schonbrun M, Kolesnikov M, Kupiec M, Weisman R. TORC2 is required to maintain genome stability during S phase in fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:19649-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that TORC2 is required for genome integrity. This may be relevant for the growing amount of evidence implicating TORC2 in cancer development...
- Hálová L, Petersen J. Aurora promotes cell division during recovery from TOR-mediated cell cycle arrest by driving spindle pole body recruitment of Polo. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3441-9 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the use of Ark1 to phosphorylate Plo1 and promote mitotic entry is dependent on the environment. ..
- Laor D, Cohen A, Pasmanik Chor M, Oron Karni V, Kupiec M, Weisman R. Isp7 is a novel regulator of amino acid uptake in the TOR signaling pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:794-806 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest a central role for Isp7 in amino acid homeostasis and the presence of isp7(+)-dependent regulatory loops that affect both TORC1 and TORC2. ..