Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pka1
Description: cAMP-dependent protein kinase catalytic subunit Pka1
Alias: git6, tpk, cAMP-dependent protein kinase catalytic subunit Pka1
Species: fission yeast
- Matsuo Y, Kawamukai M. cAMP-dependent protein kinase involves calcium tolerance through the regulation of Prz1 in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:231-241 pubmed publisherThe cAMP-dependent protein kinase Pka1 is known as a regulator of glycogenesis, meiosis, and stress responses in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. We demonstrated that Pka1 is responsible for calcium tolerance...
- Oowatari Y, Toma K, Ozoe F, Kawamukai M. Identification of sam4 as a rad24 allele in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:1591-8 pubmed..Thus 14-3-3 proteins are deeply involved in the switching of the mitotic cell cycle to the sexual differentiation of fission yeast. ..
- Hatanaka M, Shimoda C. The cyclic AMP/PKA signal pathway is required for initiation of spore germination in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Yeast. 2001;18:207-17 pubmed..The role of cAMP/protein kinase A (PKA) signalling in germination is investigated. Gene disruption of cyr1+, pka1+ and gpa2+ encoding adenylate cyclase, PKA and the alpha-subunit of a trimeric GTP-binding protein, respectively, ..
- Janoo R, Neely L, Braun B, Whitehall S, Hoffman C. Transcriptional regulators of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe fbp1 gene include two redundant Tup1p-like corepressors and the CCAAT binding factor activation complex. Genetics. 2001;157:1205-15 pubmed..Deletion of php5 reduces fbp1 expression under both repressed and derepressed conditions. The CBF appears to act in parallel to atf1-pcr1, although it is unclear whether or not CBF activity is regulated by PKA. ..
- McInnis B, Mitchell J, Marcus S. Phosphorylation of the protein kinase A catalytic subunit is induced by cyclic AMP deficiency and physiological stresses in the fission yeast, Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;399:665-9 pubmed publisher..a deletion in the adenylate cyclase gene, cyr1, express markedly higher levels of the PKA catalytic subunit, Pka1, than wild type cells...
- Gupta D, Paul S, Oowatari Y, Matsuo Y, Kawamukai M. Complex formation, phosphorylation, and localization of protein kinase A of Schizosaccharomyces pombe upon glucose starvation. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:1456-65 pubmed..In this study, we identified a nonsense mutation on the pka1 locus in the sam6 mutant. pka1 encodes a catalytic subunit of protein kinase A (PKA)...
- Valbuena N, Moreno S. TOR and PKA pathways synergize at the level of the Ste11 transcription factor to prevent mating and meiosis in fission yeast. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11514 pubmed publisher..We conclude that both the PKA and the TOR pathways inhibit Ste11 nuclear accumulation to repress Ste11-dependent gene expression. However, the PKA pathway plays a quantitatively more important role than the TOR pathway in this process. ..
- Sundaram G, Palchaudhuri S, Chaudhuri S, Karunanithi S, Chattopadhyay D. Characterization of Sro1, a novel stress responsive protein in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. FEMS Yeast Res. 2008;8:564-73 pubmed publisher..The stress-specific alteration of the ROS generation profiles and checkpoint activation resulting from deletion of the gene suggest that Sro1 might be a key player in determining cellular responses/fate under stress conditions. ..
- Nakashima A, Hasegawa T, Mori S, Ueno M, Tanaka S, Ushimaru T, et al. A starvation-specific serine protease gene, isp6+, is involved in both autophagy and sexual development in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Curr Genet. 2006;49:403-13 pubmed..These observations suggest that isp6(+) contributes to sexual development by providing a nitrogen source through autophagy. ..
- Wang L, Griffiths K, Zhang Y, Ivey F, Hoffman C. Schizosaccharomyces pombe adenylate cyclase suppressor mutations suggest a role for cAMP phosphodiesterase regulation in feedback control of glucose/cAMP signaling. Genetics. 2005;171:1523-33 pubmed..These results suggest that PDE activity in S. pombe may be coordinately regulated with adenylate cyclase activity as part of the feedback regulation mechanism to limit the cAMP response to glucose detection. ..
- Koike A, Kato T, Sugiura R, Ma Y, Tabata Y, Ohmoto K, et al. Genetic screening for regulators of Prz1, a transcriptional factor acting downstream of calcineurin in fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19294-303 pubmed publisher..These seven genes encode Rad24, Rad25, Pka1, Msn5 (SPAC328.01c), Pac1, Ape2, and Tfs1...
- Kelkar M, Martin S. PKA antagonizes CLASP-dependent microtubule stabilization to re-localize Pom1 and buffer cell size upon glucose limitation. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8445 pubmed publisher..Microtubule destabilization requires PKA/Pka1 activity, which negatively regulates the microtubule rescue factor CLASP/Cls1/Peg1, reducing CLASP's ability to ..
- Santo P, Blanchard B, Hoffman C. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe pyp1 protein tyrosine phosphatase negatively regulates nutrient monitoring pathways. J Cell Sci. 1996;109 ( Pt 7):1919-1925 pubmed
- Byrne S, Hoffman C. Six git genes encode a glucose-induced adenylate cyclase activation pathway in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 1993;105 ( Pt 4):1095-100 pubmed..Assays of cAMP on a strain carrying a mutation in the git6 gene, which acts downstream of adenylate cyclase, indicate that git6 may function to feedback regulate adenylate ..
- Gupta D, Paul S, Oowatari Y, Matsuo Y, Kawamukai M. Multistep regulation of protein kinase A in its localization, phosphorylation and binding with a regulatory subunit in fission yeast. Curr Genet. 2011;57:353-65 pubmed publisher..Sequencing from the pka1 locus of recessive sam mutants, in which cells are highly inclined to sexual differentiation, led to the ..
- Navarro F, Nurse P. A systematic screen reveals new elements acting at the G2/M cell cycle control. Genome Biol. 2012;13:R36 pubmed publisher..Despite extensive investigation of the G2/M control, our work has revealed new components of characterized pathways that regulate CDK Tyr15 phosphorylation and new components of novel mechanisms controlling mitotic entry. ..
- Kim J, Kim E, López Maury L, BÃ¤hler J, Roe J. A metabolic strategy to enhance long-term survival by Phx1 through stationary phase-specific pyruvate decarboxylases in fission yeast. Aging (Albany NY). 2014;6:587-601 pubmed..Introduction of Î”phx1 mutation compromised the long-lived phenotypes of Î”pka1 and Î”sck2 mutants that are devoid of pro-aging kinases of nutrient-signalling pathways, and of the Î”pyp1 ..
- Jin M, Fujita M, Culley B, Apolinario E, Yamamoto M, Maundrell K, et al. sck1, a high copy number suppressor of defects in the cAMP-dependent protein kinase pathway in fission yeast, encodes a protein homologous to the Saccharomyces cerevisiae SCH9 kinase. Genetics. 1995;140:457-67 pubmed..of the sck1 gene causes a significant delay in exit from stationary phase when combined with a disruption of the pka1 (git6) gene encoding the catalytic subunit of PKA...
- Kawasaki Y, Nagao K, Nakamura T, Yanagida M. Fission yeast MAP kinase is required for the increased securin-separase interaction that rescues separase mutants under stresses. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:1831-9 pubmed..Securin bound to separase was hyperphosphorylated. The stresses could not rescue the indestructible Cut2 and Rad21 mutants. We postulate that the stresses produce the hyperchaperonic form of Cut2 that can rescue separase mutations. ..
- Jeong H, Ozoe F, Tanaka K, Nakagawa T, Matsuda H, Kawamukai M. A novel gene, msa1, inhibits sexual differentiation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genetics. 2004;167:77-91 pubmed..Therefore, we suggest that the primary function of Msa1 is to negatively regulate sexual differentiation by controlling the expression of Ste11-regulated genes, possibly through the pheromone-signaling pathway. ..
- Kimata Y, Matsuyama A, Nagao K, Furuya K, Obuse C, Yoshida M, et al. Diminishing HDACs by drugs or mutations promotes normal or abnormal sister chromatid separation by affecting APC/C and adherin. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1107-18 pubmed publisher..HATs and HDACs might directly target adherin and APC/C to ensure proper chromosome segregation, and anti-tumour effects of HDAC inhibitors could be attributed to this deregulation. ..
- Maruyama T, Nakamura T, Hayashi T, Yanagida M. Histone H2B mutations in inner region affect ubiquitination, centromere function, silencing and chromosome segregation. EMBO J. 2006;25:2420-31 pubmed..Histone H2B thus plays an important role in centromere/kinetochore formation. ..
- Peng Z, Wang W, Schettino A, Leung B, McLeod M. Inactivation of Ran1/Pat1 kinase bypasses the requirement for high-level expression of mei2 during fission yeast meiosis. Curr Genet. 2003;43:178-85 pubmed..Notably, induced levels of mei2 are not a prerequisite for meiotic differentiation, as previously thought. The implications of this result to developmental regulation are discussed. ..
- Whalen W, Yoon J, Shen R, Dhar R. Regulation of mRNA export by nutritional status in fission yeast. Genetics. 1999;152:827-38 pubmed..Our results suggest that the regulation of poly(A)+ RNA export by Pka1p kinase appears to be indirect, via a translation-dependent step, but post-translationally in response to YES. ..
- Yamada H, Kumada K, Yanagida M. Distinct subunit functions and cell cycle regulated phosphorylation of 20S APC/cyclosome required for anaphase in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 15):1793-804 pubmed..In contrast, PP1 (Dis2) phosphatase mutation shows the reverse effect on the phenotype of cut9. The Cut9 subunit is likely to be a target for regulating APC/ cyclosome function through protein-protein interactions and phosphorylation. ..
- Cohen A, Kupiec M, Weisman R. Glucose activates TORC2-Gad8 protein via positive regulation of the cAMP/cAMP-dependent protein kinase A (PKA) pathway and negative regulation of the Pmk1 protein-mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:21727-37 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the significance of glucose availability in regulation of TORC2-Gad8 and indicate a novel link between the cAMP/PKA, Pmk1/MAPK, and TORC2-Gad8 signaling. ..
- Fujita M, Yamamoto M. S. pombe sck2+, a second homologue of S. cerevisiae SCH9 in fission yeast, encodes a putative protein kinase closely related to PKA in function. Curr Genet. 1998;33:248-54 pubmed..The pka1 sck1 sck2 triple disruptant could grow but only very slowly...