Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nuc2
Description: anaphase-promoting complex subunit Apc3
Alias: SPAC1851.01, apc3, anaphase-promoting complex subunit Apc3
Species: fission yeast
- Yamada H, Kumada K, Yanagida M. Distinct subunit functions and cell cycle regulated phosphorylation of 20S APC/cyclosome required for anaphase in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 15):1793-804 pubmedWe show here that the fission yeast gene products Cut9 and Nuc2 are the subunits of the 20S complex, the putative APC (anaphase promoting complex)/cyclosome which contains ubiquitin ligase activity required for cyclin and Cut2 destruction...
- Yamano H, Tsurumi C, Gannon J, Hunt T. The role of the destruction box and its neighbouring lysine residues in cyclin B for anaphase ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis in fission yeast: defining the D-box receptor. EMBO J. 1998;17:5670-8 pubmed..These data suggest the existence of a D-box receptor protein that recognizes D-boxes prior to ubiquitination. ..
- Yamashita Y, Nakaseko Y, Kumada K, Nakagawa T, Yanagida M. Fission yeast APC/cyclosome subunits, Cut20/Apc4 and Cut23/Apc8, in regulating metaphase-anaphase progression and cellular stress responses. Genes Cells. 1999;4:445-63 pubmed..In fission yeast, however, only five (Cut4, Cut9, Nuc2, Apc10, Hcn1) have been identified...
- Yanagida M. Gene products required for chromosome separation. J Cell Sci Suppl. 1989;12:213-29 pubmed..The roles of four representative genes, namely nda3+, nuc2+, top2+ and dis2+, encoding beta-tubulin, a nuclear scaffold-like protein, DNA topoisomerase II and type-1 protein ..
- Sczaniecka M, Feoktistova A, May K, Chen J, Blyth J, Gould K, et al. The spindle checkpoint functions of Mad3 and Mad2 depend on a Mad3 KEN box-mediated interaction with Cdc20-anaphase-promoting complex (APC/C). J Biol Chem. 2008;283:23039-47 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that this Mad3 KEN box is a critical mediator of Cdc20-APC/C inhibition, without which neither Mad3 nor Mad2 can associate with the APC/C or inhibit anaphase onset. ..
- Yoon H, Feoktistova A, Chen J, Jennings J, Link A, Gould K. Role of Hcn1 and its phosphorylation in fission yeast anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome function. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32284-93 pubmed..Phosphorylation of Hcn1 occurs at a single Cdk1 site in vitro and in vivo. Mutation of this site to alanine, but not aspartic acid, compromises APC/C function and leads to a specific defect in the completion of cell division. ..
- Matsumura T, Yuasa T, Hayashi T, Obara T, Kimata Y, Yanagida M. A brute force postgenome approach to identify temperature-sensitive mutations that negatively interact with separase and securin plasmids. Genes Cells. 2003;8:341-55 pubmed..In addition, the manner of the inhibition by high copy securin and separase plasmids were quite different each other and did not result in the mitotic block. ..
- Hirano T, Kinoshita N, Morikawa K, Yanagida M. Snap helix with knob and hole: essential repeats in S. pombe nuclear protein nuc2+. Cell. 1990;60:319-28 pubmedThe S. pombe nuc2+ gene is required for mitotic chromosome disjunction. Its mutation arrests mitosis at the metaphase. The gene product is present in the nuclear scaffold-like fraction...
- Grishchuk E, Frolov D, Savchenko G. [Overexpression of the apc10+ gene in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe can suppress temperature sensitivity of the nuc2-663 mutant,but not its sterility]. Mol Biol (Mosk). 2000;34:809-15 pubmed
- Grishchuk E, Howe J, McIntosh J. A screen for genes involved in the anaphase proteolytic pathway identifies tsm1(+), a novel Schizosaccharomyces pombe gene important for microtubule integrity. Genetics. 1998;149:1251-64 pubmedThe growth of several mitotic mutants of Schizosaccharomyces pombe, including nuc2-663, is inhibited by the protease inhibitor N-Tosyl-L-Phenylalanine Chloromethyl Ketone (TPCK)...
- Ishii K, Kumada K, Toda T, Yanagida M. Requirement for PP1 phosphatase and 20S cyclosome/APC for the onset of anaphase is lessened by the dosage increase of a novel gene sds23+. EMBO J. 1996;15:6629-40 pubmed..These results demonstrate functions other than promoting anaphase for the components of the 20S cyclosome/APC and also a close functional relationship of Sds23 with PP1 and 20S cyclosome/APC. ..
- Yamashita Y, Nakaseko Y, Samejima I, Kumada K, Yamada H, Michaelson D, et al. 20S cyclosome complex formation and proteolytic activity inhibited by the cAMP/PKA pathway. Nature. 1996;384:276-9 pubmed..Suppression correlates with the amount of 20S complex, indicating that cyclosome formation and activation is inhibited by the cAMP/PKA pathway. ..
- Kimata Y, Kitamura K, Fenner N, Yamano H. Mes1 controls the meiosis I to meiosis II transition by distinctly regulating the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome coactivators Fzr1/Mfr1 and Slp1 in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1486-94 pubmed publisher..Thus Mes1 interacts with two coactivators in a different way to control the activity of the APC/C required for the meiosis I/meiosis II transition...
- Chew T, Balasubramanian M. Nuc2p, a subunit of the anaphase-promoting complex, inhibits septation initiation network following cytokinesis in fission yeast. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e17 pubmed publisher..We propose that Nuc2p, by inhibiting the SIN after cell division, prevents further deleterious cytokinetic events, thereby contributing to genome stability. ..
- Kimata Y, Matsuyama A, Nagao K, Furuya K, Obuse C, Yoshida M, et al. Diminishing HDACs by drugs or mutations promotes normal or abnormal sister chromatid separation by affecting APC/C and adherin. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1107-18 pubmed publisher..HATs and HDACs might directly target adherin and APC/C to ensure proper chromosome segregation, and anti-tumour effects of HDAC inhibitors could be attributed to this deregulation. ..