Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: myo2
Description: myosin II heavy chain myo2
Alias: rng5, myosin II heavy chain myo2
Species: fission yeast
- Mulvihill D, Barretto C, Hyams J. Localization of fission yeast type II myosin, Myo2, to the cytokinetic actin ring is regulated by phosphorylation of a C-terminal coiled-coil domain and requires a functional septation initiation network. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:4044-53 pubmedb>Myo2 truncations fused to green fluorescent protein (GFP) defined a C-terminal domain essential for the localization of Myo2 to the cytokinetic actin ring (CAR). The localization domain contained two predicted phosphorylation sites...
- Eng K, Naqvi N, Wong K, Balasubramanian M. Rng2p, a protein required for cytokinesis in fission yeast, is a component of the actomyosin ring and the spindle pole body. Curr Biol. 1998;8:611-21 pubmed..The rng2 gene showed genetic interactions with three other actomyosin ring assembly mutants, cdc4, cdc12, and rng5. The S...
- Kitayama C, Sugimoto A, Yamamoto M. Type II myosin heavy chain encoded by the myo2 gene composes the contractile ring during cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:1309-19 pubmedWe cloned the myo2 gene of Schizosaccharomyces pombe, which encodes a type II myosin heavy chain, by virtue of its ability to promote diploidization in fission yeast cells...
- Wu J, Bahler J, Pringle J. Roles of a fimbrin and an alpha-actinin-like protein in fission yeast cell polarization and cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1061-77 pubmed..In addition, protein-localization and mutant-phenotype data suggest that Fim1p, but not Ain1p, plays important roles in mating and in spore formation. ..
- Huang J, Huang Y, Yu H, Subramanian D, Padmanabhan A, Thadani R, et al. Nonmedially assembled F-actin cables incorporate into the actomyosin ring in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 2012;199:831-47 pubmed publisher..Our results, together with findings in animal cells, suggest that de novo F-actin assembly at the division site and directed transport of F-actin cables assembled elsewhere can contribute to ring assembly. ..
- Subramanian D, Huang J, Sevugan M, Robinson R, Balasubramanian M, Tang X. Insight into actin organization and function in cytokinesis from analysis of fission yeast mutants. Genetics. 2013;194:435-46 pubmed publisher..This mutant bank should be a valuable resource to study the physiological and biochemical functions of actin...
- Coffman V, Sees J, Kovar D, Wu J. The formins Cdc12 and For3 cooperate during contractile ring assembly in cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:101-14 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that different formins cooperate in cytokinesis and that de novo actin assembly at the division site is predominant for contractile ring formation. ..
- Bezanilla M, Pollard T. Myosin-II tails confer unique functions in Schizosaccharomyces pombe: characterization of a novel myosin-II tail. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:79-91 pubmed..b>myo2(+) is essential. myp2(+) cannot rescue loss of myo2(+) even at elevated levels of expression...
- Martín García R, Valdivieso M. The fission yeast Chs2 protein interacts with the type-II myosin Myo3p and is required for the integrity of the actomyosin ring. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2768-79 pubmed..In synchronous cultures, chs2Delta cells exhibit a delay in septation with respect to the control strain. All these results show that Chs2p participates in the correct functioning of the medial ring. ..
- Lord M, Pollard T. UCS protein Rng3p activates actin filament gliding by fission yeast myosin-II. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:315-25 pubmedWe purified native Myo2p/Cdc4p/Rlc1p (Myo2), the myosin-II motor required for cytokinesis by Schizosaccharomyces pombe. The Myo2p heavy chain associates with two light chains, Cdc4p and Rlc1p...
- Le Goff X, Motegi F, Salimova E, Mabuchi I, Simanis V. The S. pombe rlc1 gene encodes a putative myosin regulatory light chain that binds the type II myosins myo3p and myo2p. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 23:4157-63 pubmed..Two myosin-II heavy chains have been identified in fission yeast: Co-immunoprecipitation experiments indicate that rlc1p associates more strongly with myo3p than myo2p. ..
- D souza V, Naqvi N, Wang H, Balasubramanian M. Interactions of Cdc4p, a myosin light chain, with IQ-domain containing proteins in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Cell Struct Funct. 2001;26:555-65 pubmed..We concluded that Cdc4p, a novel myosin light chain, interacts with multiple actomyosin ring components to effect cytokinesis. ..
- Kovar D, Wu J, Pollard T. Profilin-mediated competition between capping protein and formin Cdc12p during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2313-24 pubmed..Given that capping protein arrives at the division site 20 min later than Cdc12p, capping protein may slowly replace Cdc12p on filament barbed ends in preparation for filament disassembly during ring constriction. ..
- Wong K, Naqvi N, Iino Y, Yamamoto M, Balasubramanian M. Fission yeast Rng3p: an UCS-domain protein that mediates myosin II assembly during cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 13):2421-32 pubmed..Null mutants in rng3 resemble deletion mutants in the type II myosin heavy chain (myo2) and rng3(ts) mutants show strong negative interactions with the myo2-E1 mutant, suggesting that Rng3p is involved ..
- Desautels M, Den Haese J, Slupsky C, McIntosh L, Hemmingsen S. Cdc4p, a contractile ring protein essential for cytokinesis in Schizosaccharomyces pombe, interacts with a phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5932-42 pubmed..We suggest that Cdc4p plays multiple roles in cytokinesis and that interaction with a PI 4-kinase may be important for contractile ring assembly and/or function. ..
- Lee I, Wu J. Characterization of Mid1 domains for targeting and scaffolding in fission yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2973-85 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our study recognizes domains regulating Mid1 cortical localization and reveals domains sufficient for contractile-ring assembly. ..
- Laporte D, Coffman V, Lee I, Wu J. Assembly and architecture of precursor nodes during fission yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:1005-21 pubmed publisher..Mid1 first recruits Cdc4 and IQGAP Rng2 to form module I. Rng2 subsequently recruits the myosin-II subunits Myo2 and Rlc1. Mid1 then independently recruits the F-BAR protein Cdc15 to form module II...
- Mishra M, Karagiannis J, Trautmann S, Wang H, McCollum D, Balasubramanian M. The Clp1p/Flp1p phosphatase ensures completion of cytokinesis in response to minor perturbation of the cell division machinery in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3897-910 pubmed..We conclude that the Clp1p/Flp1p-dependent cytokinesis checkpoint provides a previously unrecognized cell survival advantage when the cell division apparatus is mildly perturbed. ..
- Wu J, Kuhn J, Kovar D, Pollard T. Spatial and temporal pathway for assembly and constriction of the contractile ring in fission yeast cytokinesis. Dev Cell. 2003;5:723-34 pubmed..Ring contraction and disassembly begin 37 min after SPB separation. This spatial and temporal hierarchy provides the framework for analysis of molecular mechanisms. ..
- Nakano K, Mabuchi I. Actin-depolymerizing protein Adf1 is required for formation and maintenance of the contractile ring during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:1933-45 pubmed..Tropomyosin was shown to antagonize the function of Adf1 in the contractile ring. We propose that formation and maintenance of the contractile ring are achieved by a balanced collaboration of these proteins. ..
- Sladewski T, Previs M, Lord M. Regulation of fission yeast myosin-II function and contractile ring dynamics by regulatory light-chain and heavy-chain phosphorylation. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3941-52 pubmed publisher..Although in vitro studies indicated that phosphorylation at Ser-1444 is not needed for Myo2p motor activity, phosphorylation at this site promotes the initiation of contractile ring constriction. ..
- Zimmermann D, Homa K, Hocky G, Pollard L, De La Cruz E, Voth G, et al. Mechanoregulated inhibition of formin facilitates contractile actomyosin ring assembly. Nat Commun. 2017;8:703 pubmed publisher..by Search-Capture-Pull-Release from cytokinesis precursor nodes that include the molecular motor type-II myosin Myo2 and the actin assembly factor formin Cdc12...
- Wang N, Lo Presti L, Zhu Y, Kang M, Wu Z, Martin S, et al. The novel proteins Rng8 and Rng9 regulate the myosin-V Myo51 during fission yeast cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2014;205:357-75 pubmed publisher..Purified Rng8 and Rng9 form stable higher-order complexes. Collectively, we propose that Rng8 and Rng9 form oligomers and cluster multiple Myo51 dimers to regulate Myo51 localization and functions. ..
- Bohnert K, Grzegorzewska A, Willet A, Vander Kooi C, Kovar D, Gould K. SIN-dependent phosphoinhibition of formin multimerization controls fission yeast cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2164-77 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings identify a SIN-triggered oligomeric switch that modulates cytokinetic formin function, revealing a novel mechanism of actin cytoskeleton regulation during cell division. ..
- Mishra M, Kashiwazaki J, Takagi T, Srinivasan R, Huang Y, Balasubramanian M, et al. In vitro contraction of cytokinetic ring depends on myosin II but not on actin dynamics. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:853-9 pubmed publisher..Our work provides the beginnings of the definition of a minimal contraction-competent cytokinetic ring apparatus...
- Pollard L, Onishi M, Pringle J, Lord M. Fission yeast Cyk3p is a transglutaminase-like protein that participates in cytokinesis and cell morphogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2433-44 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the proposed evolution of animal transglutaminase cross-linking activity from ancestral bacterial thiol proteases was accompanied by the emergence of a subclass whose function does not depend on enzymatic activity. ..
- Mulvihill D, Hyams J. Cytokinetic actomyosin ring formation and septation in fission yeast are dependent on the full recruitment of the polo-like kinase Plo1 to the spindle pole body and a functional spindle assembly checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:3575-86 pubmed..We used the myo2-gc fission yeast strain in which the chromosomal copy of the type II myosin gene, myo2(+), is fused to the gene ..
- Arasada R, Pollard T. A role for F-BAR protein Rga7p during cytokinesis in S. pombe. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2259-68 pubmed publisher..The late arrival and lower than normal numbers of Bgs4p result in septal defects late in cytokinesis, and in the lysis of separating cells, similar to that in cells with mutations in the cwg1(+) gene (which encodes Bgs4p). ..
- Goss J, Kim S, Bledsoe H, Pollard T. Characterization of the roles of Blt1p in fission yeast cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1946-57 pubmed publisher..We find three defects that likely contribute to this delay. Without Blt1p, contractile rings recruited and retained less Sid2p/Mob1p and Clp1p phosphatase, and ?-glucan synthase Bgs1p accumulated slowly at the cleavage site. ..
- Pinar M, Coll P, Rincon S, Perez P. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Pxl1 is a paxillin homologue that modulates Rho1 activity and participates in cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1727-38 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Pxl1 colocalizes and interacts with Myo2, and Cdc15, suggesting that it is part of the actomyosin ring...
- Laplante C, Berro J, Karatekin E, Hernandez Leyva A, Lee R, Pollard T. Three myosins contribute uniquely to the assembly and constriction of the fission yeast cytokinetic contractile ring. Curr Biol. 2015;25:1955-65 pubmed publisherCytokinesis in fission yeast cells depends on conventional myosin-II (Myo2) to assemble and constrict a contractile ring of actin filaments...
- McDonald N, Vander Kooi C, Ohi M, Gould K. Oligomerization but Not Membrane Bending Underlies the Function of Certain F-BAR Proteins in Cell Motility and Cytokinesis. Dev Cell. 2015;35:725-36 pubmed publisher..F-BAR oligomerization is also critical for Fer and RhoGAP4 physiological function, demonstrating its broad importance to F-BAR proteins that function without membrane bending. ..
- Mata J. Genome-wide mapping of myosin protein-RNA networks suggests the existence of specialized protein production sites. FASEB J. 2010;24:479-84 pubmed publisher..I propose that these complexes represent specialized sites for the production of myosin proteins and the assembly of cytoskeletal components, respectively. ..
- Jin Q, Ray S, Choi S, McCollum D. The nucleolar Net1/Cfi1-related protein Dnt1 antagonizes the septation initiation network in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2924-34 pubmed..Unlike Net1/Cfi1, which regulates the MEN through the Cdc14 phosphatase, Dnt1 can inhibit SIN signaling independently of Clp1, suggesting a novel connection between the nucleolus and the SIN pathway. ..
- Takaine M, Numata O, Nakano K. An actin-myosin-II interaction is involved in maintaining the contractile ring in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2903-18 pubmed publisher..We here investigated the roles of fission yeast myosin-II proteins [Myo2 and Myo3 (also known as Myp2)] in ring maintenance during cytokinesis, with a focus on Myo3...