Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mik1
Description: mitotic inhibitor kinase Mik1
Alias: mitotic inhibitor kinase Mik1
Species: fission yeast
- Yamaguchi S, Murakami H, Okayama H. A WD repeat protein controls the cell cycle and differentiation by negatively regulating Cdc2/B-type cyclin complexes. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:2475-86 pubmed
- Zeng Y, Forbes K, Wu Z, Moreno S, Piwnica Worms H, Enoch T. Replication checkpoint requires phosphorylation of the phosphatase Cdc25 by Cds1 or Chk1. Nature. 1998;395:507-10 pubmed..We conclude that both Cds1 and Chk1 regulate the binding of Cdc25 to 14-3-3 proteins as part of the checkpoint response to unreplicated DNA. ..
- Wu L, Russell P. Nim1 kinase promotes mitosis by inactivating Wee1 tyrosine kinase. Nature. 1993;363:738-41 pubmed..Highly purified Nim1 kinase phosphorylates Wee1 in vitro, resulting in strong inhibition of Wee1 kinase. These observations show that Nim1 promotes the onset of mitosis by inhibiting Wee1. ..
- Katayama S, Kitamura K, Lehmann A, Nikaido O, Toda T. Fission yeast F-box protein Pof3 is required for genome integrity and telomere function. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:211-24 pubmed..The results highlight a role of the SCF(Pof3) ubiquitin ligase in genome integrity via maintaining chromatin structures. ..
- Williams D, McIntosh J. mcl1+, the Schizosaccharomyces pombe homologue of CTF4, is important for chromosome replication, cohesion, and segregation. Eukaryot Cell. 2002;1:758-73 pubmed..It interacts genetically with replication components and causes an S-phase delay when overexpressed. We propose that Mcl1p, like Ctf4p, has a role in regulating DNA replication complexes. ..
- Sakai T. Cdk inhibitor ste9p/srw1p is involved in response to protein synthesis inhibition in fission yeast. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;315:984-90 pubmed..It is suggested that cell cycle be positively controlled in an ste9-dependent manner before essential factors for viability and other important functions are exhausted when protein synthesis is inhibited. ..
- Lee M, Enoch T, Piwnica Worms H. mik1+ encodes a tyrosine kinase that phosphorylates p34cdc2 on tyrosine 15. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:30530-7 pubmedb>mik1+ and wee1+ function to regulate the tyrosine phosphorylation of p34cdc2 in Schizosaccharomyces pombe (Lundgren, K., Walworth, N., Booher, R., Dembski, M., Kirschner, M., and Beach, D. (1991) Cell 64, 1111-1122)...
- Bueno A, Russell P. Two fission yeast B-type cyclins, cig2 and Cdc13, have different functions in mitosis. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:2286-97 pubmed..We suggest that some cyclin B subtypes found in other species, including humans, are also likely to have distinct, nonoverlapping functions in mitosis. ..
- Mahyous Saeyd S, Ewert Krzemieniewska K, Liu B, Caspari T. Hyperactive Cdc2 kinase interferes with the response to broken replication forks by trapping S.pombe Crb2 in its mitotic T215 phosphorylated state. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:7734-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data support a model such that elevated Cdc2 activity delays the transition of Crb2 from its G1 to its G2 mode by blocking Srs2 DNA helicase and Casein Kinase 1 (Hhp1). ..
- Ruan K, Yamamoto T, Asakawa H, Chikashige Y, Masukata H, Haraguchi T, et al. Meiotic nuclear movements in fission yeast are regulated by the transcription factor Mei4 downstream of a Cds1-dependent replication checkpoint pathway. Genes Cells. 2015;20:160-72 pubmed publisher..These results show that Mei4 is involved in the termination of nuclear movements and that Mei4-mediated regulatory pathways link a DNA replication checkpoint to the termination of nuclear movements. ..
- Caetano C, Limbo O, Farmer S, Klier S, Dovey C, Russell P, et al. Tolerance of deregulated G1/S transcription depends on critical G1/S regulon genes to prevent catastrophic genome instability. Cell Rep. 2014;9:2279-89 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results establish that, although deregulation of G1/S transcription is well tolerated by cells, nonessential G1/S target genes become crucial for preventing catastrophic genome instability. ..
- Habib A, Masuda K, Yukawa M, Tsuchiya E, Ueno M. Long G2 accumulates recombination intermediates and disturbs chromosome segregation at dysfunction telomere in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015;464:140-6 pubmed publisher..We found that shortening the G2 of pot1Î” rqh1-hd double mutant by additional mutations of wee1 and mik1 or gain of function mutation of Cdc2 suppresses both the accumulation of recombination intermediates and the TBZ ..
- Goes F, Martin J. Hsp90 chaperone complexes are required for the activity and stability of yeast protein kinases Mik1, Wee1 and Swe1. Eur J Biochem. 2001;268:2281-9 pubmed..Here we identify two related tyrosine protein kinases, Mik1 from fission yeast and its Saccharomyces cerevisiae homolog Swe1, as Hsp90 substrates and show that the kinase ..
- Dutta C, Rhind N. The role of specific checkpoint-induced S-phase transcripts in resistance to replicative stress. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6944 pubmed publisher..Finally, we investigate the roles of two specific transcripts: mik1 and mrc1...