Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mid1
Description: medial ring protein Mid1
Alias: dmf1, medial ring protein Mid1
Species: fission yeast
- Paoletti A, Chang F. Analysis of mid1p, a protein required for placement of the cell division site, reveals a link between the nucleus and the cell surface in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:2757-73 pubmedb>mid1 is required for the proper placement of the contractile actin ring for cytokinesis at a medial site overlying the nucleus...
- Rincon S, Paoletti A. Mid1/anillin and the spatial regulation of cytokinesis in fission yeast. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2012;69:764-77 pubmed publisher..by the assembly and constriction of a medially placed actomyosin ring, largely depends on the anillin-like protein Mid1. Therefore, the major pathways controlling the position of the division plane converge on Mid1...
- Guzman Vendrell M, Baldissard S, Almonacid M, Mayeux A, Paoletti A, Moseley J. Blt1 and Mid1 provide overlapping membrane anchors to position the division plane in fission yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:418-28 pubmed publisher..ring is assembled in the cell middle from cortical node precursors that are positioned by the anillin-like protein Mid1. During mitotic entry, cortical nodes mature and then compact into a contractile ring positioned in the cell middle...
- Wu J, Kuhn J, Kovar D, Pollard T. Spatial and temporal pathway for assembly and constriction of the contractile ring in fission yeast cytokinesis. Dev Cell. 2003;5:723-34 pubmed..Ring contraction and disassembly begin 37 min after SPB separation. This spatial and temporal hierarchy provides the framework for analysis of molecular mechanisms. ..
- Celton Morizur S, Bordes N, Fraisier V, Tran P, Paoletti A. C-terminal anchoring of mid1p to membranes stabilizes cytokinetic ring position in early mitosis in fission yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10621-35 pubmed..We propose that membrane-bound oligomers of mid1p assemble recruitment "platforms" for cytokinetic ring components at the medial cortex and stabilize the ring position during its compaction. ..
- Bahler J, Steever A, Wheatley S, Wang Y, Pringle J, Gould K, et al. Role of polo kinase and Mid1p in determining the site of cell division in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1603-16 pubmed..Mutants defective in two previously described genes, mid1 and pom1, frequently divide asymmetrically...
- Ye Y, Lee I, Runge K, Wu J. Roles of putative Rho-GEF Gef2 in division-site positioning and contractile-ring function in fission yeast cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1181-95 pubmed publisher..and Polo kinase Plo1 coordinate to control the medial cortical localization and function of anillin-related protein Mid1. The division-site positioning defects of gef2? plo1-ts18 double mutant can be partially rescued by increasing Mid1 ..
- Clifford D, Wolfe B, Roberts Galbraith R, McDonald W, Yates J, Gould K. The Clp1/Cdc14 phosphatase contributes to the robustness of cytokinesis by association with anillin-related Mid1. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:79-88 pubmed publisher..We find that Clp1/Flp1 is tethered at the contractile ring (CR) through its association with anillin-related Mid1. Fluorescent recovery after photobleaching analyses indicate that Mid1, unlike other tested CR components, is ..
- Hachet O, Simanis V. Mid1p/anillin and the septation initiation network orchestrate contractile ring assembly for cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2008;22:3205-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data establish that Mid1p and the SIN are the key regulators that orchestrate CAR assembly. ..
- Bahler J, Pringle J. Pom1p, a fission yeast protein kinase that provides positional information for both polarized growth and cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1356-70 pubmed..Thus, Pom1p may position the growth and cytokinesis machineries by interaction with both the actin and microtubule cytoskeletons. ..
- Almonacid M, Celton Morizur S, Jakubowski J, Dingli F, Loew D, Mayeux A, et al. Temporal control of contractile ring assembly by Plo1 regulation of myosin II recruitment by Mid1/anillin. Curr Biol. 2011;21:473-9 pubmed publisher..In the fission yeast, contractile ring components are first organized by the anillin-like protein Mid1 into medial cortical nodes. These nodes then coalesce laterally into a functional contractile ring...
- Coffman V, Nile A, Lee I, Liu H, Wu J. Roles of formin nodes and myosin motor activity in Mid1p-dependent contractile-ring assembly during fission yeast cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:5195-210 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data provide strong support for the SCPR model of contractile-ring formation in cytokinesis. ..
- Wachtler V, Huang Y, Karagiannis J, Balasubramanian M. Cell cycle-dependent roles for the FCH-domain protein Cdc15p in formation of the actomyosin ring in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:3254-66 pubmed..This suggests a mechanism where both SIN and Clp1p/Flp1p contribute to maintenance of the actomyosin ring in late mitosis through Cdc15p, possibly by regulating its phosphorylation status. ..
- Motegi F, Mishra M, Balasubramanian M, Mabuchi I. Myosin-II reorganization during mitosis is controlled temporally by its dephosphorylation and spatially by Mid1 in fission yeast. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:685-95 pubmed..The accumulation of Myo2 requires the anillin homologue Mid1 that functions in proper ring placement...
- Bohnert K, Grzegorzewska A, Willet A, Vander Kooi C, Kovar D, Gould K. SIN-dependent phosphoinhibition of formin multimerization controls fission yeast cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2164-77 pubmed publisher..phosphorylation leads to persistent Cdc12 clustering, which prevents CR assembly in the absence of anillin-like Mid1 and causes CRs to collapse when cytokinesis is delayed...
- Reynolds N, Ohkura H. Polo boxes form a single functional domain that mediates interactions with multiple proteins in fission yeast polo kinase. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:1377-87 pubmed..Isolation of mutants that differentially disrupt these interactions revealed a role for the polo boxes in mediating protein-protein interactions. ..
- Goss J, Kim S, Bledsoe H, Pollard T. Characterization of the roles of Blt1p in fission yeast cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:1946-57 pubmed publisher..We find three defects that likely contribute to this delay. Without Blt1p, contractile rings recruited and retained less Sid2p/Mob1p and Clp1p phosphatase, and ?-glucan synthase Bgs1p accumulated slowly at the cleavage site. ..
- Rincon S, Bhatia P, Bicho C, Guzman Vendrell M, Fraisier V, Borek W, et al. Pom1 regulates the assembly of Cdr2-Mid1 cortical nodes for robust spatial control of cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:61-77 pubmed publisher..pombe, division plane positioning is controlled positively by export of the division plane positioning factor Mid1/anillin from the nucleus and negatively by the Pom1/DYRK (dual-specificity tyrosine-regulated kinase) gradients ..
- Kovar D, Wu J, Pollard T. Profilin-mediated competition between capping protein and formin Cdc12p during cytokinesis in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2313-24 pubmed..Given that capping protein arrives at the division site 20 min later than Cdc12p, capping protein may slowly replace Cdc12p on filament barbed ends in preparation for filament disassembly during ring constriction. ..
- An H, Morrell J, Jennings J, Link A, Gould K. Requirements of fission yeast septins for complex formation, localization, and function. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5551-64 pubmed..This study establishes the functional requirements for septin complex organization in vivo. ..
- Baker K, Kirkham S, Hálová L, Atkin J, Franz Wachtel M, Cobley D, et al. TOR complex 2 localises to the cytokinetic actomyosin ring and controls the fidelity of cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:2613-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, TORC2 localisation to the CAR, and TORC2-dependent Acp1 phosphorylation contributes to timely control and the fidelity of cytokinesis and cell division. ..
- Agarwal M, Papadopoulou K, Mayeux A, Vajrala V, Quintana D, Paoletti A, et al. Mid1p-dependent regulation of the M-G1 transcription wave in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:4366-73 pubmed publisher..Mid1p promoter binding is dependent on Fkh2p, Plo1p and Clp1p. The absence of mid1(+) in cells results in partial loss of M-G1 specific gene expression, suggesting that it has a negative role in ..
- Pinar M, Coll P, Rincon S, Perez P. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Pxl1 is a paxillin homologue that modulates Rho1 activity and participates in cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1727-38 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that Pxl1 modulates Rho1 GTPase signaling and plays a role in the formation and contraction of the actomyosin ring during cytokinesis. ..
- Mishra M, Huang Y, Srivastava P, Srinivasan R, Sevugan M, Shlomovitz R, et al. Cylindrical cellular geometry ensures fidelity of division site placement in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:3850-7 pubmed publisher..Using fluorescence imaging, we verify some of the quantitative predictions of the model. Our study reveals an intimate interplay between geometry and actomyosin dynamics, which are likely to apply in a variety of cellular contexts. ..
- Sun L, Guan R, Lee I, Liu Y, Chen M, Wang J, et al. Mechanistic insights into the anchorage of the contractile ring by anillin and Mid1. Dev Cell. 2015;33:413-26 pubmed publisherAnillins and Mid1 are scaffold proteins that play key roles in anchorage of the contractile ring at the cell equator during cytokinesis in animals and fungi, respectively...
- Rincon S, Estravís M, Dingli F, Loew D, Tran P, Paoletti A. SIN-Dependent Dissociation of the SAD Kinase Cdr2 from the Cell Cortex Resets the Division Plane. Curr Biol. 2017;27:534-542 pubmed publisher..SAD kinase Cdr2 to pre-define the division plane [5-8]; then, massive nuclear export of the anillin-like protein Mid1 at mitosis entry confirms or readjusts the division plane according to nuclear position and triggers the assembly ..
- Tao E, Calvert M, Balasubramanian M. Rewiring Mid1p-independent medial division in fission yeast. Curr Biol. 2014;24:2181-2188 pubmed publisher..that synthetic targeting of IQGAP-related Rng2p, formin-Cdc12p, and myosin II (Myo2p) restores medial division in mid1 mutants, suggesting that ring proteins need not assemble at the division site in an invariant order...
- Coffman V, Sees J, Kovar D, Wu J. The formins Cdc12 and For3 cooperate during contractile ring assembly in cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:101-14 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that different formins cooperate in cytokinesis and that de novo actin assembly at the division site is predominant for contractile ring formation. ..
- GuzmÃ¡n Vendrell M, Rincon S, Dingli F, Loew D, Paoletti A. Molecular control of the Wee1 regulatory pathway by the SAD kinase Cdr2. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2842-53 pubmed publisher..Cdr2 also interacts with the anillin Mid1, which defines the division plane, and with additional components of the medial cortical nodes, including Blt1, ..
- Dodgson J, Brown W, Rosa C, Armstrong J. Reorganization of the growth pattern of Schizosaccharomyces pombe in invasive filament formation. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:1788-97 pubmed publisher..A third group acting at different stages of the cell cycle, including Bud6, Rga4, and Mid1, localize similarly in filaments and single cells, while Nif1 shows a reciprocal localization to Pom1.