Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mei4
Description: meiotic forkhead transcription factor Mei4
Alias: dot4, meiotic forkhead transcription factor Mei4
Species: fission yeast
- Shimada M, Yamada Namikawa C, Murakami Tonami Y, Yoshida T, Nakanishi M, Urano T, et al. Cdc2p controls the forkhead transcription factor Fkh2p by phosphorylation during sexual differentiation in fission yeast. EMBO J. 2008;27:132-42 pubmed..We propose that functional interaction between Cdks and forkhead transcription factors may link the mitotic cell cycle and sexual differentiation. ..
- Ruan K, Yamamoto T, Asakawa H, Chikashige Y, Masukata H, Haraguchi T, et al. Meiotic nuclear movements in fission yeast are regulated by the transcription factor Mei4 downstream of a Cds1-dependent replication checkpoint pathway. Genes Cells. 2015;20:160-72 pubmed publisher..that this prolongation was caused by the Cds1-dependent replication checkpoint, which represses expression of the mei4(+) gene encoding a meiosis-specific transcription factor...
- Sugiyama T, Thillainadesan G, Chalamcharla V, Meng Z, Balachandran V, Dhakshnamoorthy J, et al. Enhancer of Rudimentary Cooperates with Conserved RNA-Processing Factors to Promote Meiotic mRNA Decay and Facultative Heterochromatin Assembly. Mol Cell. 2016;61:747-759 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal connections among Erh1, CCR4-NOT, Pir2/ARS2, and RNAi, which target heterochromatin to regulate gene expression and protect genome integrity. ..
- Nakamura T, Abe H, Hirata A, Shimoda C. ADAM family protein Mde10 is essential for development of spore envelopes in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Eukaryot Cell. 2004;3:27-39 pubmed..as a gene possessing a FLEX element, which forms a binding site for the meiosis-specific transcription factor Mei4. In fact, mde10+ is transcribed only in diploid cells that are induced to meiosis in a Mei4-dependent manner...
- Nakamura T, Nakamura Kubo M, Nakamura T, Shimoda C. Novel fission yeast Cdc7-Dbf4-like kinase complex required for the initiation and progression of meiotic second division. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:309-20 pubmed..These results suggest that Spo4 is a Cdc7 kinase whose primary role is in meiosis, not in DNA replication. This is the first report of an organism which has two Cdc7-related kinase complexes with different biological functions. ..
- Sugiyama T, Sugioka Sugiyama R. Red1 promotes the elimination of meiosis-specific mRNAs in vegetatively growing fission yeast. EMBO J. 2011;30:1027-39 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Red1 is involved in DSR-directed RNA decay to prevent ectopic expression of meiotic mRNAs in vegetative cells. ..
- Ioannoni R, Brault A, LabbÃ© S. Cuf2 Is a Transcriptional Co-Regulator that Interacts with Mei4 for Timely Expression of Middle-Phase Meiotic Genes. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0151914 pubmed publisher..Cuf2 operates through a transcriptional mechanism, it is unable to perform its function in the absence of the Mei4 transcription factor, which is a member of the conserved forkhead protein family...
- Moldón A, Malapeira J, Gabrielli N, Gogol M, Gómez Escoda B, Ivanova T, et al. Promoter-driven splicing regulation in fission yeast. Nature. 2008;455:997-1000 pubmed publisher..This regulation is dependent on two transcription factors of the forkhead family, Mei4 (ref. 2) and Fkh2 (ref. 3)...
- Plante S, Ioannoni R, Beaudoin J, Labbe S. Characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe copper transporter proteins in meiotic and sporulating cells. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:10168-81 pubmed publisher..exclusively dependent on the presence of Cuf1, ctr6(+) gene expression relies on two distinct regulators, Cuf1 and Mei4. Ctr4 and Ctr5 proteins co-localize at the plasma membrane shortly after meiotic induction, whereas Ctr6 is located ..
- Alves Rodrigues I, Ferreira P, MoldÃ³n A, Vivancos A, Hidalgo E, GuigÃ³ R, et al. Spatiotemporal Control of Forkhead Binding to DNA Regulates the Meiotic Gene Expression Program. Cell Rep. 2016;14:885-895 pubmed publisher..b>Mei4 is a forkhead transcription factor that controls the expression of mid-meiotic genes...
- Young J, Hyppa R, Smith G. Conserved and nonconserved proteins for meiotic DNA breakage and repair in yeasts. Genetics. 2004;167:593-605 pubmed..DNA breakage required the S. pombe midmeiosis transcription factor Mei4, but the structurally unrelated midmeiosis transcription factor Ndt80 is not required for breakage in S. cerevisiae...
- Kakihara Y, Nabeshima K, Hirata A, Nojima H. Overlapping omt1+ and omt2+ genes are required for spore wall maturation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genes Cells. 2003;8:547-58 pubmed..Generation of overlapped RNA may be due to loose regulation of transcription termination during meiosis of S. pombe. ..