Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mei2
Description: RNA-binding protein Mei2
Alias: RNA-binding protein Mei2
Species: fission yeast
- Sukegawa Y, Yamashita A, Yamamoto M. The fission yeast stress-responsive MAPK pathway promotes meiosis via the phosphorylation of Pol II CTD in response to environmental and feedback cues. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002387 pubmed publisherThe RRM-type RNA-binding protein Mei2 is a master regulator of meiosis in fission yeast, in which it stabilizes meiosis-specific mRNAs by blocking their destruction...
- Alvarez B, Moreno S. Fission yeast Tor2 promotes cell growth and represses cell differentiation. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4475-85 pubmed..by interfering with the functions of the transcription factor Ste11 and the meiosis-promoting RNA-binding protein Mei2. Thus, our data reveal a unique regulatory function of the Tor pathway - ensuring that growth and cell ..
- Shinozaki Yabana S, Watanabe Y, Yamamoto M. Novel WD-repeat protein Mip1p facilitates function of the meiotic regulator Mei2p in fission yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:1234-42 pubmed..These results suggest that Mip1p assists functional expression of a number of proteins required for proliferation and sexual development in fission yeast. ..
- Jeffares D, Phillips M, Moore S, Veit B. A description of the Mei2-like protein family; structure, phylogenetic distribution and biological context. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:149-58 pubmedThe Schizosaccharomyces pombe Mei2 gene encodes an RNA recognition motif (RRM) protein that stimulates meiosis upon binding a specific non-coding RNA and subsequent accumulation in a "mei2-dot" in the nucleus...
- Yamashita A, Takayama T, Iwata R, Yamamoto M. A novel factor Iss10 regulates Mmi1-mediated selective elimination of meiotic transcripts. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:9680-7 pubmed publisher..During meiosis, Mmi1 is sequestered by a chromosome-associated dot structure, Mei2 dot, allowing meiosis-specific transcripts to be stably expressed...
- Tanaka Y, Okuzaki D, Yabuta N, Yoneki T, Nojima H. Rad24 is essential for proliferation of diploid cells in fission yeast. FEBS Lett. 2000;472:254-8 pubmed..We found that a cumulative deletion of mei2(+) gene almost completely suppressed this defect, and demonstrated using two-hybrid analysis that Rad24 protein ..
- Matsuyama A, Yabana N, Watanabe Y, Yamamoto M. Schizosaccharomyces pombe Ste7p is required for both promotion and withholding of the entry to meiosis. Genetics. 2000;155:539-49 pubmed..These observations suggest that Ste7p may have a function to suppress the onset of meiosis until the conjugation process has been duly completed. ..
- DeVoti J, Seydoux G, Beach D, McLeod M. Interaction between ran1+ protein kinase and cAMP dependent protein kinase as negative regulators of fission yeast meiosis. EMBO J. 1991;10:3759-68 pubmed..unregulated cAPK activity or unregulated ran1+ kinase activity is due to inability to induce transcription of the mei2+ gene, which is required for meiotic initiation...
- Yamamoto M. The selective elimination of messenger RNA underlies the mitosis-meiosis switch in fission yeast. Proc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci. 2010;86:788-97 pubmed..environmental conditions including the nutrient status converge on the activity of an RRM-type RNA-binding protein, Mei2. This protein plays pivotal roles in both the induction and progression of meiosis and has now been found to govern ..
- Otsubo Y, Yamashita A, Ohno H, Yamamoto M. S. pombe TORC1 activates the ubiquitin-proteasomal degradation of the meiotic regulator Mei2 in cooperation with Pat1 kinase. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:2639-46 pubmed publisher..that fission yeast TORC1, which promotes vegetative growth and suppresses sexual development, can phosphorylate Mei2 (a specific factor involved in switching the cell fate) in vitro...