Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: hht1
Description: histone H3 h3.1
Alias: histone H3 h3.1
Species: fission yeast
- Zhang K, Mosch K, Fischle W, Grewal S. Roles of the Clr4 methyltransferase complex in nucleation, spreading and maintenance of heterochromatin. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:381-8 pubmed publisher..Our analyses delineate sequential steps for the assembly of heterochromatic domains and suggest that the ability of Clr4 to both 'write' and 'read' H3K9me facilitates heterochromatin maintenance through successive cell divisions. ..
- Mellone B, Ball L, Suka N, Grunstein M, Partridge J, Allshire R. Centromere silencing and function in fission yeast is governed by the amino terminus of histone H3. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1748-57 pubmed..Our data highlight the striking divergence between the histone tail requirements for the fission yeast and budding yeast silencing pathways. ..
- Minoda A, Saitoh S, Takahashi K, Toda T. BAF53/Arp4 homolog Alp5 in fission yeast is required for histone H4 acetylation, kinetochore-spindle attachment, and gene silencing at centromere. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:316-27 pubmed..This result shows that Alp5 is essential for histone H4 acetylation, and its crucial role lies in the establishment of bipolar attachment of the kinetochore to the spindle and transcriptional silencing at the centromere. ..
- Ishida M, Shimojo H, Hayashi A, Kawaguchi R, Ohtani Y, Uegaki K, et al. Intrinsic nucleic acid-binding activity of Chp1 chromodomain is required for heterochromatic gene silencing. Mol Cell. 2012;47:228-41 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a role for the CD that provides a link between RNA, DNA, and methylated histone tails to ensure heterochromatic gene silencing...
- Xhemalce B, Kouzarides T. A chromodomain switch mediated by histone H3 Lys 4 acetylation regulates heterochromatin assembly. Genes Dev. 2010;24:647-52 pubmed publisher..Consistent with structural data, H3K4ac specifically reduces Chp1/Clr4 affinity to H3K9me. We propose that H3K4ac mediates a chromodomain switch from Chp1/Clr4 to Swi6/Chp2 to allow heterochromatin reassembly. ..
- Hall I, Shankaranarayana G, Noma K, Ayoub N, Cohen A, Grewal S. Establishment and maintenance of a heterochromatin domain. Science. 2002;297:2232-7 pubmed..This work defines sequential requirements for the initiation and propagation of regional heterochromatic domains. ..
- Tanae K, Horiuchi T, Matsuo Y, Katayama S, Kawamukai M. Histone chaperone Asf1 plays an essential role in maintaining genomic stability in fission yeast. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30472 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results clearly indicate that Asf1 plays an essential role in maintaining genomic stability in S. pombe...
- Canzio D, Chang E, Shankar S, Kuchenbecker K, Simon M, Madhani H, et al. Chromodomain-mediated oligomerization of HP1 suggests a nucleosome-bridging mechanism for heterochromatin assembly. Mol Cell. 2011;41:67-81 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that recognition of methylated nucleosomes and HP1 spread on chromatin are structurally coupled and imply that methylation and nucleosome arrangement synergistically regulate HP1 function. ..
- Cam H, Sugiyama T, Chen E, Chen X, FitzGerald P, Grewal S. Comprehensive analysis of heterochromatin- and RNAi-mediated epigenetic control of the fission yeast genome. Nat Genet. 2005;37:809-19 pubmed..Our analyses also uncover an important role for the RNAi machinery in maintaining genomic integrity. ..
- Stuwe T, Hothorn M, Lejeune E, Rybin V, Bortfeld M, Scheffzek K, et al. The FACT Spt16 "peptidase" domain is a histone H3-H4 binding module. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8884-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that these interactions may aid FACT-mediated nucleosome reorganization events. ..
- Al Sady B, Madhani H, Narlikar G. Division of labor between the chromodomains of HP1 and Suv39 methylase enables coordination of heterochromatin spread. Mol Cell. 2013;51:80-91 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal a strategy by which "writers" and "readers" of a chromatin mark exploit different methylation states on the same residue in order to facilitate collaboration and avoid competition. ..
- Suzuki S, Nagao K, Obuse C, Murakami Y, Takahata S. A novel method for purification of the endogenously expressed fission yeast Set2 complex. Protein Expr Purif. 2014;97:44-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the FIM method is valid for the efficient purification of protein complexes that separate into the insoluble chromatin pellet fraction during centrifugation. ..
- Xhemalce B, Miller K, Driscoll R, Masumoto H, Jackson S, Kouzarides T, et al. Regulation of histone H3 lysine 56 acetylation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:15040-7 pubmed
- Shan C, Wang J, Xu K, Chen H, Yue J, Andrews S, et al. A histone H3K9M mutation traps histone methyltransferase Clr4 to prevent heterochromatin spreading. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results provide a detailed mechanism by which H3K9M regulates H3K9 methylation. ..
- Yamagishi Y, Honda T, Tanno Y, Watanabe Y. Two histone marks establish the inner centromere and chromosome bi-orientation. Science. 2010;330:239-43 pubmed publisher..Haspin colocalizes with cohesin by associating with Pds5, whereas Bub1 localizes at kinetochores. Thus, the inner centromere is defined by intersection of two histone kinases. ..
- Gerace E, Halic M, Moazed D. The methyltransferase activity of Clr4Suv39h triggers RNAi independently of histone H3K9 methylation. Mol Cell. 2010;39:360-72 pubmed publisher..These findings establish Rik1 as a key link between CLRC and RNAi and reveal distinct centromeric siRNA amplification mechanisms that depend on the Clr4 methyltransferase activity. ..
- Jia S, Yamada T, Grewal S. Heterochromatin regulates cell type-specific long-range chromatin interactions essential for directed recombination. Cell. 2004;119:469-80 pubmed..Our analyses implicate heterochromatin in long-range regulatory interactions and suggest that heterochromatin imposes at the mating-type region structural organization that is important for the donor-choice mechanism. ..