Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dis2
Description: serine/threonine protein phosphatase PP1
Alias: bws1, sds1, serine/threonine protein phosphatase PP1
Species: fission yeast
- Dav A, Cooley C, Garg M, Bianchi A. Protein phosphatase 1 recruitment by Rif1 regulates DNA replication origin firing by counteracting DDK activity. Cell Rep. 2014;7:53-61 pubmed publisher..These findings elucidate the mechanism of action of Rif1 in the control of DNA replication and demonstrate a role of PP1 phosphatases in the regulation of origin firing...
- Roguev A, Shevchenko A, Schaft D, Thomas H, Stewart A, Shevchenko A. A comparative analysis of an orthologous proteomic environment in the yeasts Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2004;3:125-32 pubmed..We speculate that conservation of the core components of protein assemblies and variability of hyperlinks represents a general principle in the molecular organization of eukaryotic proteomes. ..
- Tange Y, Hirata A, Niwa O. An evolutionarily conserved fission yeast protein, Ned1, implicated in normal nuclear morphology and chromosome stability, interacts with Dis3, Pim1/RCC1 and an essential nucleoporin. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:4375-85 pubmed..The ned1(+) gene belongs to an evolutionarily conserved gene family, which includes the mouse Lpin genes, one of whose mutations is responsible for lipodystrophy. ..
- Tang N, Toda T. Alp7/TACC recruits kinesin-8-PP1 to the Ndc80 kinetochore protein for timely mitotic progression and chromosome movement. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:354-63 pubmed publisher..We propose that the recruitment of kinesin-8-PP1 to the kinetochore through Alp7/TACC interaction plays a crucial role in regulation of timely mitotic progression and chromosome movement during anaphase A. ..
- den Elzen N, O Connell M. Recovery from DNA damage checkpoint arrest by PP1-mediated inhibition of Chk1. EMBO J. 2004;23:908-18 pubmed..We show that overexpression of the type I protein phosphatase Dis2 sensitises S. pombe cells to DNA damage, causing aberrant mitoses...
- Yamada H, Kumada K, Yanagida M. Distinct subunit functions and cell cycle regulated phosphorylation of 20S APC/cyclosome required for anaphase in fission yeast. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 15):1793-804 pubmed..In contrast, PP1 (Dis2) phosphatase mutation shows the reverse effect on the phenotype of cut9...
- Ohkura H, Yanagida M. S. pombe gene sds22+ essential for a midmitotic transition encodes a leucine-rich repeat protein that positively modulates protein phosphatase-1. Cell. 1991;64:149-57 pubmedThe fission yeast dis2+ gene encodes one of the two type 1 protein phosphatases (PP1) in this organism. Its semidominant mutant dis2-11 is defective in mitosis...
- Kinoshita N, Ohkura H, Yanagida M. Distinct, essential roles of type 1 and 2A protein phosphatases in the control of the fission yeast cell division cycle. Cell. 1990;63:405-15 pubmed..Two previously identified PP1 genes (dis2+ and sds21+) and two PP2A genes (ppa1+ and ppa2+), highly homologous to mammalian PP2A, have been isolated from ..
- Kinoshita N, Goebl M, Yanagida M. The fission yeast dis3+ gene encodes a 110-kDa essential protein implicated in mitotic control. Mol Cell Biol. 1991;11:5839-47 pubmed..Its phenotype is similar to that of dis2-11, a mutant with a mutation in the type 1 protein phosphatase gene. We cloned the dis3+ gene by transformation...
- Xu X, Nakazawa N, Yanagida M. Condensin HEAT subunits required for DNA repair, kinetochore/centromere function and ploidy maintenance in fission yeast. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0119347 pubmed publisher..Five of these mutations reside in helix B of HEAT repeats. Two non-SMC condensin subunits, Cnd1 and Cnd3, are thus implicated in ploidy maintenance. ..
- Grallert A, Boke E, Hagting A, Hodgson B, Connolly Y, Griffiths J, et al. A PP1-PP2A phosphatase relay controls mitotic progression. Nature. 2015;517:94-98 pubmed publisher..The staged recruitment of PP1 (the Dis2 isoform) to the regulatory subunits of the PP2A-B55 and PP2A-B56 (B55 also known as Pab1; B56 also known as Par1) ..
- Maruyama T, Nakamura T, Hayashi T, Yanagida M. Histone H2B mutations in inner region affect ubiquitination, centromere function, silencing and chromosome segregation. EMBO J. 2006;25:2420-31 pubmed..Histone H2B thus plays an important role in centromere/kinetochore formation. ..
- Stone E, Yamano H, Kinoshita N, Yanagida M. Mitotic regulation of protein phosphatases by the fission yeast sds22 protein. Curr Biol. 1993;3:13-26 pubmed..We have previously reported that the dis2(+) and sds2(+) genes of fission yeast encode redundant catalytic subunits of a type 1-like protein phosphatase...
- Tatebe H, Yanagida M. Cut8, essential for anaphase, controls localization of 26S proteasome, facilitating destruction of cyclin and Cut2. Curr Biol. 2000;10:1329-38 pubmed..Cut8 is a novel evolutionarily conserved heat-inducible regulator. It facilitates anaphase-promoting proteolysis by recruiting 26S proteasome to a functionally efficient nuclear location. ..
- Kondoh H, Yuasa T, Yanagida M. Mis3 with a conserved RNA binding motif is essential for ribosome biogenesis and implicated in the start of cell growth and S phase checkpoint. Genes Cells. 2000;5:525-41 pubmed..Mis3 is essential for ribosome biogenesis, supports S phase checkpoint, and is needed for the coupling between growth and cell cycle. Whether Mis3 interacts solely with ribosomal precursor RNA remains to be determined. ..
- Hachet O, Berthelot Grosjean M, Kokkoris K, Vincenzetti V, Moosbrugger J, Martin S. A phosphorylation cycle shapes gradients of the DYRK family kinase Pom1 at the plasma membrane. Cell. 2011;145:1116-28 pubmed publisher..Tea4 triggers Pom1 plasma membrane association by promoting its dephosphorylation through the protein phosphatase 1 Dis2. We propose that local dephosphorylation induces Pom1 membrane association and nucleates a gradient shaped by the ..
- Aoki K, Nakaseko Y, Kinoshita K, Goshima G, Yanagida M. CDC2 phosphorylation of the fission yeast dis1 ensures accurate chromosome segregation. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1627-35 pubmed..Cdc2 thus directly phosphorylates Dis1, and this phosphorylation regulates Dis1 localization in both metaphase and anaphase and ensures high-fidelity segregation. ..
- Kokkoris K, Gallo Castro D, Martin S. The Tea4-PP1 landmark promotes local growth by dual Cdc42 GEF recruitment and GAP exclusion. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:2005-16 pubmed publisher..This activity requires that Tea4 binds the type I phosphatase (PP1) catalytic subunit Dis2 or Sds21, and ectopic targeting of either catalytic subunit is similarly instructive for growth...
- Chen J, Lu L, Ohi M, Creamer K, English C, Partridge J, et al. Cdk1 phosphorylation of the kinetochore protein Nsk1 prevents error-prone chromosome segregation. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:583-93 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish new roles for Cdk1 and the Nsk1-Dlc1 complex in regulating the k-MT interface and chromosome segregation. ..
- Kawashima S, Takemoto A, Nurse P, Kapoor T. A chemical biology strategy to analyze rheostat-like protein kinase-dependent regulation. Chem Biol. 2013;20:262-71 pubmed publisher..Our strategy is general and can be used to examine the functions of other molecular rheostats. ..
- Booher R, Beach D. Interaction between cdc13+ and cdc2+ in the control of mitosis in fission yeast; dissociation of the G1 and G2 roles of the cdc2+ protein kinase. EMBO J. 1987;6:3441-7 pubmed..cdc13+ cooperates with cdc2+ in the initiation of mitosis but not in the regulation of DNA replication. We propose that the cdc13+ gene product might be a G2-specific substrate of the cdc2+ protein kinase. ..
- Hudson J, Feilotter H, Young P. stf1: non-wee mutations epistatic to cdc25 in the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genetics. 1990;126:309-15 pubmed..cdc2-w, stf1- suppression of cdc25 is reversed by overexpression of the putative type 1 protein phosphatase bws1+/dis2+...